f



HP Printers returning waste ink to cartridge

I have been told that the HP PSC 3310 & 3110 return waste ink to the
cartridge. Does this happen with any other HP printers?

Thanks
Mike
0
MikeM
5/5/2006 9:56:20 PM
comp.periphs.printers 18139 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
889 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

On Fri, 05 May 2006 21:56:20 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>I have been told that the HP PSC 3310 & 3110 return waste ink to the
>cartridge. Does this happen with any other HP printers?
>
>Thanks
>Mike

I believe some of the newer smaller cartridges, such as the 21/22
supposedly do this as well. However, since the older, bigger carts
haven't been phased out, it's not much of a cost saver since the
cartridges still cost over 2x as much per page to print while using
about .01 ml less ink per page. Your printer takes a decent sized
black cartridge at a pretty decent price, but it's not really meant
for text/document printing, and it's hard to compare any kind of cost
savings that way.

If you're planning on doing any moderate to large amount of black and
white photo printing, you may be better off getting a photosmart that
can take the 101 Large Greyscale tank.


---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
0
info
5/5/2006 10:20:25 PM
I print almost exclusively colour photos on my Epson. I like the
prints but it gets through a lot of ink. I ralise the cartridges are
smaller than earlier HPs but I was hoping it would be cheaper to run
than my Epson.

Thanks
Mike
On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:20:25 GMT, info@fenrironline.com (Fenrir
Enterprises) wrote:

>On Fri, 05 May 2006 21:56:20 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au>
>wrote:
>
>>I have been told that the HP PSC 3310 & 3110 return waste ink to the
>>cartridge. Does this happen with any other HP printers?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Mike
>
>I believe some of the newer smaller cartridges, such as the 21/22
>supposedly do this as well. However, since the older, bigger carts
>haven't been phased out, it's not much of a cost saver since the
>cartridges still cost over 2x as much per page to print while using
>about .01 ml less ink per page. Your printer takes a decent sized
>black cartridge at a pretty decent price, but it's not really meant
>for text/document printing, and it's hard to compare any kind of cost
>savings that way.
>
>If you're planning on doing any moderate to large amount of black and
>white photo printing, you may be better off getting a photosmart that
>can take the 101 Large Greyscale tank.
>
>
>---
>
>http://www.FenrirOnline.com
>
>Computer services, custom metal etching,
>arts, crafts, and much more.
0
MikeM
5/5/2006 10:43:04 PM
On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:43:04 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>I print almost exclusively colour photos on my Epson. I like the
>prints but it gets through a lot of ink. I ralise the cartridges are
>smaller than earlier HPs but I was hoping it would be cheaper to run
>than my Epson.
>
>Thanks
>Mike

I'm not sure about that one. HP 02 Color tanks have an estimated page
yield of 240 4" x 6" photos. Epson T048xxx (Guitar) cartridges for the
R-series have an estimated page yield of 430 pages.

Keep in mind that the pricing is using single-color cost per print,
NOT how much each print costs. Price per cart is also an estimate.
Also, keep in mind that there is no way of knowing how each of the
companies came up with their page yield count, so these are very rough
estimates that may not be comparable in a real life situation.

HP 02 Color: 4.5 ml. $10 per cartridge.

Page Yield estimated at 240 photos

..01875 ml/photo

4.16 cents per print.

Epson T048xxx Color. About 12 ml. $13 per cartridge.

Page Yield estimated at 430 photos.

..02795 ml/photo

3.02 cents per print.

So the Epson does seem to use a LOT more ink than the HP, but per
cartridge/print it costs about 25% less, but only if they use similar
methods to determine page yield. I'd say, if you already /have/ the
Epson and it works fine and isn't showing signs of breaking down,
stick with it. If you need a new printer, personally I'd never buy
another Epson, so I'd go with the HP. There's little enough difference
there to really worry about it. Also keep in mind that the HP black
cartridge is far larger than the colors and more economical, while I
think the Epson black is the same size as the color tanks.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
0
info
5/6/2006 12:17:54 AM
"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message 
news:n3in52lmh68u8hk60m2vja7i1423r6a2fa@4ax.com...
>I have been told that the HP PSC 3310 & 3110 return waste ink to the
> cartridge. Does this happen with any other HP printers?

The printers that use the 02 series cartridges recycle ink rather than 
dump it into the service station.  These include the Photosmart 8250 in 
addition to those listed above, see 
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-64340-15100-64340-443048.html.

Additionally, HP printers with the printhead and ink supply together 
tend to use much less ink for servicing than [non-HP] printers with 
permanent printheads.  For best economy I would recommend printers that 
use the #96/97 cartridges such as the DeskJet 6840.  For page yields for 
various HP printers see: 
http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/index.html

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
5/6/2006 12:29:46 AM
Fenrir Enterprises wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:43:04 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
> 
>> I print almost exclusively colour photos on my Epson. I like the
>> prints but it gets through a lot of ink. I ralise the cartridges are
>> smaller than earlier HPs but I was hoping it would be cheaper to run
>> than my Epson.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike
> 
> I'm not sure about that one. HP 02 Color tanks have an estimated page
> yield of 240 4" x 6" photos. Epson T048xxx (Guitar) cartridges for the
> R-series have an estimated page yield of 430 pages.
> 
> Keep in mind that the pricing is using single-color cost per print,
> NOT how much each print costs. Price per cart is also an estimate.
> Also, keep in mind that there is no way of knowing how each of the
> companies came up with their page yield count, so these are very rough
> estimates that may not be comparable in a real life situation.
> 
> HP 02 Color: 4.5 ml. $10 per cartridge.
> 
> Page Yield estimated at 240 photos
> 
> .01875 ml/photo
> 
> 4.16 cents per print.
> 
> Epson T048xxx Color. About 12 ml. $13 per cartridge.
> 
> Page Yield estimated at 430 photos.
> 
> .02795 ml/photo
> 
> 3.02 cents per print.
> 
> So the Epson does seem to use a LOT more ink than the HP, but per
> cartridge/print it costs about 25% less, but only if they use similar
> methods to determine page yield. I'd say, if you already /have/ the
> Epson and it works fine and isn't showing signs of breaking down,
> stick with it. If you need a new printer, personally I'd never buy
> another Epson, so I'd go with the HP. There's little enough difference
> there to really worry about it. Also keep in mind that the HP black
> cartridge is far larger than the colors and more economical, while I
> think the Epson black is the same size as the color tanks.
> 
> ---
> 
> http://www.FenrirOnline.com
> 
> Computer services, custom metal etching,
> arts, crafts, and much more.


Whoa there..

Your yield figures are for 5% page coverage at A4 so you really have 
made a big error in your calculations.. You need to multiply by at least 
  20 to get a full A4 or roughly 5 to get a quarter size (which I 
guestimate as a photo size).

Still n'all as a comparison ratio it works but it's not accurate as a 
measure of a per photo cost.

0
Martin
5/11/2006 2:18:28 PM
Reply: