can AIX 5.x pull NTP time from a win2000 server with the NTP server enabled?

We have a win2k sever connected via serial timetap to a spectracom
netclock/2.  can an AIX 5.1 server pull NTP time from this..if so how.
TIA.
0
me

me@home.com wrote:

> We have a win2k sever connected via serial timetap to a spectracom
> netclock/2.  can an AIX 5.1 server pull NTP time from this..if so how.
> TIA.

Yes, it can, but you'd probably prefer to go the opposite way, or
connect that Spectracom clock to a surplus Pentium running FreeBSD.

Using NT, if that clock isn't directly supported by NTP on NT, then
you'd need to configure a local clock, and use the supplied Spectracom
sw to make sure that the local clock stays reasonably in sync with the
reference source.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com>

Terje

NTP server can not synchronize with external NTP server
Dear All, I got the problem, my NTP server can not synchronize with external NTP server. *root@ntpserver:~# ntpdate -d 2.id.pool.ntp.org 7 Jan 10:24:37 ntpdate[1779]: ntpdate 4.2.4p6@1.1549-o Thu Oct 22 21:58:39 UTC 2009 (1) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) 110.92.72.250: Server dropped: no data 202.162.32.12: Server dropped: no data server 110.92.72.250, port 123 stratum 0, precision 0,...

Local time and NTP server time
Hello when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? thx Melanie Pfefer <melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > It doesn't as ntp always uses UTC. Conversion to local time is up to the system. -- Jim Pennino Remove .spam.sux to reply. Melanie Pfefer wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > ...

Re: [ntp:questions] Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > That worked. I had a number of peers who's access policy had changed. > Also, it seems that changing notrust to nopeer seems to have corrected > the problem. Thanks for your help. > You shouldn't use notrust unless you know what you are doing. Its meaning changed betweeen 4.1.x and 4.2.0 and almost certainly was the cause of your problems. Danny ...

A ntp client is running ahead of time of our netowork ntp server.
Hi List I have an issue with a ntp client running Linux SuSE 9.3 Our Network ntp server is a Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1A. *I initialy had an* error regarding seeing* *"Bad file descriptor" errors in /var/log/ntp* *then made sure that only one instance of ntpd* *is running socklist command and ps -auxxx|egrep ntpd thus run * *kill -9 PID's and restart ntpd /etc/init.d/ntpd restart. This seemed to fix things and when I run date command volia I thought I fixed it So thus to test after weekend. * *Thus I have checked this morning using date command and I the ...

NTP client syncs successfully with NTP server within local network but not with the NTP pool servers
I am using ntp 4.2.6p5 on linux. I setup an NTP server on a machine in another subnet and tried to sync my machine with the server and it works well. But when I try to use the pool.ntp.org servers (I tried 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, etc. and just pool.ntp.org servers), it does not sync. nslookup on pool.ntp.org as well as 0.pool.ntp.org gives proper DNS resolution and ping works on the IPs returned by nslookup as well. Output of iptables grepped for UDP is as follows: [Thu Feb 10 12:39:14 root@root-ubuntu:~]# iptables -L -n -v | grep udp 92 13001 ACCEPT udp -- * *...

NTP Server Synchronizing with the incorrect NTP server
Problem: I configured my NTP server in Linux to use the US Pool of NTP Servers in /e= tc/ntp.conf. I restarted the NTP service many times and the actual server m= any times, but it was not using the pool. I was verifying this by using the= ntpq -p command. It was using a time server it picked up via DHCP when it = was plugged into a completely different network. I had no idea where it was= getting this information. Solution: After running strace (strace /etc/init.d/ntp restart) I was able to see it = was picking up the configuration from /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp . I delet...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > > 4.2.0: > > notrust > > Deny service unless the packet is cryptographically > > authenticated. nopeer > > Deny packets which would result in mobilizing a new association. > > This includes > > broadcast and symmetric active packets when a configured > > association does not exist. > > > It's not specified in the man page, which is probably why I missed it. > > -- > Daniel Rudy > The man pages are not authorative. Always look at the HTML documentation. Danny D...

Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers
Hello, experts! Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time from other servers? I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't find any good solution. Any comments are welcome! Thanks! Hello WANG Cong, WANG Cong wrote: > Hello, experts! > > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time > from other servers? Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-) If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize to them you can simply append the noselect keyword ...

On NTP server, how to check offset between client and NTP server?
Dear All I have stratum 2 NTP server. My client request time from my NTP server. On my NTP server, how to know offset of between my client and my server ? I found ntp_script software suite from http://www.schlitt.net/scripts/ntp/. It's not solve my problem directly. Thanks Chong On 2008-10-09, chowalit.lab Chowalit Lab Linux <chowalit.lab@gmail.com> wrote: > I have stratum 2 NTP server. My client request time from my > NTP server. On my NTP server, how to know offset of between my > client and my server ? I found ntp_script software suite from > http://www.schlit...

what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME
Hi, Scenario: - I'm in control of a NTP server and can change the time on this server as I please (this server is "sync'ed to the hw-clock) - I have a client that is sync'ed with the server above (and only that server) What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this changes? Yes, I do realise that this scenario is stupid in many ways. Only one server, big time changes on the server etc etc, and I do know how t...

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

Adding NTP time servers (Mac OS X)
Is there a way I can add my own NTP time server under Mac OS X? -- It does not seem to work, adding it in the box System Preferences/Date & Time/Date & Time/Set Time & Date Automatically It only has some Apple time servers listed. -- Hans Aberg Hans Aberg <haberg@math.su.se> wrote: > Is there a way I can add my own NTP time server under Mac OS X? -- It does > not seem to work, adding it in the box If I check my "Set time autmatically" checkbox, the field becomes editable - assuming I have Admin privileges. Make sure the padlock at lower left is unlo...

Sow to sync system time to BIOS automatic after ntpd updated os time from remote ntp server?
Hi, all, I meet below problem on SUSE11 sp1 64bit with ntp4.2.4p6: 1. Set os date and bios date 7 minutes earlier than current date time; and wait ntpd to sync from remote ntp server to fix the time , after some minutes, both OS time and bios time fixed. 2. but when I try to test 30 minutes instead of 7minutes, only os time synced with upper level ntp server, the bios time still 30 minutes earlier than os time. hwclock can sync time to bios. Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? Thanks. -- Colin > > Is th...

Re: [ntp:questions] Can NTP affect the time even when not running ?
> If you do try to run ntpd on a laptop and you don't lock the >processor to a given speed, you can anticipate all sorts of weird >problems, and ntpd may calculate strange correction values which may >be left over after you stop running it, and these values may then be >applied inappropriately to free-running mode. Would this mean that, for laptops with no processor frequency lock - most standard use I would assume -, your recommendation would be to rely on SNTP clients ? On 2004-11-24, Marchand Vincent <Vincent.Marchand@KONE.com> wrote: > Would this mean th...

different times from same ntp server
Hi all, i m having a very strange problem. the problem is that when i get time from= =20 clock2.redhat.com <http://clock2.redhat.com> for my windows machine then it= =20 is giving the correct time (according to out country's standard time) but= =20 when i try to syncronize my linux (redhat 9) machine from same ntp server ( clock2.redhat.com <http://clock2.redhat.com>) then there is a time differnc= e=20 of +1 hour. My linux machine is always one hour ahead of (standard time).= =20 Since i have tried this on my other linux and windows machines i m having= =20 same typr of proble...

time to find ntp server
Hi all, I have confiured an external server and the local clock. After starting ntp the ntptrace command shows 2 entries. I stop the ntp server on the external server. After 5 minuter ntptrace shows but one entry (localhost). I restart ntp on the external server. How long should it take before the client becomes aware of this external server? System is solaris 10 galaxy with suncluster. # ntptrace (on cluster node 2) localhost: stratum 5, offset 0.000022, synch distance 0.38689 clusternode1-priv: stratum 4, offset 0.000027, synch distance 0.01012 after 5minutes: # ntptrace localhost: str...

how to set time from NTP server
Hi all, is it possible to set the time of an QNX 4.25 with TCP/IP 5.0 System from an NTP Time-Server without any additional SW. My Server is Windows SBS 2003. Thank you Thomas ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: richard.gayraud@free.fr, blourdel@cisco.com Pages: 9 Characters: 17452 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt URL: ...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:58:03 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date...

Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem
Hi all, Currently, I am working with meinberg ntp and I can't sync with ntp server. I have made rules that allow UDP port 123, turned off w32time and change to some popular ntp server but there is no luck. I have followed this FAQ: http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/info/ntp-w32time.htm I'm using windows web server 2008 R2, Meinberg NTP version is http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable (the spider man one) this is the output from ntpq -pn C:\Windows\system32>ntpq -pn remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jit...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How application get precise time from Win NT/XP system time that synchronies to NTP
----- Original Message Follows ----- > Martin, > > If my application polls the system time once every tick, i.e. 10 > millisecond, can I get nanosecond resolution and accuracy that NTP can > provide? > The simple answer is no way. The more complicated answer is that you would need an real atomic clock directly connected on a machine running a realtime O/S with absolutely no other processes that the absolute essential ones. Windows wouldn't even be in the picture here, it's not designed for what you are asking. What exactly are you trying to do and why? A little ex...

NTP Server time drifts slower ?
I have tried configuring my local NTP Server (that is, the machine does't connect to internet) with following configuration : --> configuration for ntpd in /etc/ntp.conf : logfile /var/log/ntpd driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/ statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable server 127.127.1.0 fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 restrict default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery restrict 127.0.0.1 nomodify --> drif...

ntp or other time stuff on virtual server?
A question has come up on another newgroup whethr or not the time can be disciplined via ntp (or chrony) on a virtual server. I would suspect not (imagine the mess if both ntp on one virtual server and chrony on another were both trying to discipline the same hardware clock, and I cannot see how the virtual OS could keep track of its own separate clock since it only gets some subset of the time slices on the real system) but perhaps I am wrong. Can a virtual server discipline its own clock? If not, how is the adjtimex system call trapped? Surely each virtual machine cannot influence the real s...

NTP Time Server for LAN: Broadcasting or Not?
Hi Folks, I've got a FreeBSD - NTP time server configured on my small LAN. Here's some output: ntpq> pe remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter =============================================================================== +navobs1.wustl.e .USNO. 1 u 41 64 333 178.181 -51.694 131.381 +india.colorado. .ACTS. 1 u 37 64 377 192.120 84.779 45.140 *navobs1.oar.net .USNO. 1 u 106 64 376 191.750 114.124 110.657 +now.cis.okstate .PSC. 1 u 40 64 377 192.337 118.809 53.2...

Web resources about - can AIX 5.x pull NTP time from a win2000 server with the NTP server enabled? - comp.protocols.time.ntp

List of NFC-enabled mobile devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On January 27, 2012, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announced in a briefing that the controller of the Wii U home console will have install ...

REPORT: Facebook’s Outdated Web Encryption Technology May Have Enabled Prism
... standard used by Internet companies — including Apple, Microsoft, Twitter, Dropbox, and MySpace — is 2,048 bits, and that may have enabled the ...

Facebook’s Latest Virtual Currency Test: A “Credits Enabled” App Directory
Facebook is quietly making its “Credits” virtual currency a more integral part of the site, and on Friday the most recent Credits test went live. ...

3D Sun&Moon Compass for iPhone4 (Gyroscope enabled) on the App Store on iTunes
Get 3D Sun&Moon Compass for iPhone4 (Gyroscope enabled) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

iPhone: Emoji Keyboard enabled - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... first four of six pages of the first tab (the smiley). Add to that a number of pages each for the »flower«, »bell«, »car« and »!?#«. I enabled ...

CUDA Enabled PhysX Application: Cryostasis TechDemo - YouTube
In development by 1C games, Cryostasis is a FPS horror game set in 1968 on a Russian nuclear powered ice breaker. With freezing conditions on ...

The economic agenda of A/NZ needs to be cyber-enabled: Cisco
ARNnet The economic agenda of A/NZ needs to be cyber-enabled: Cisco ARNnet Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event ...

Tech-enabled homes give people with disabilities independence
Custom-fitted apartments allow people with disabilities to take care of themselves and give them the confidence to fulfil their dreams.

Create Custom, High-Performance Video Walls with New Matrox Mura MPX-enabled Solutions from Advantech ...
CSO Australia - News, Industry Blogs, Tools and Resources for Data Security Executives

Hollywood enabled Charlie Sheen's self-destructive behaviour
Charlie Sheen's announcement he has HIV is only the latest in a long string of troubling stories about the actor.