Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers

Hello, experts!

Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
from other servers?
I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't
find any good solution.

Any comments are welcome! Thanks!
0
WANG

Hello WANG Cong,

WANG Cong wrote:
> Hello, experts!
>
> Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> from other servers?

Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-)

If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize
to them you can simply append the noselect keyword to the entries, e.g.

server pool.ntp.org noselect

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren
Bad Pyrmont
Germany
0
Martin
8/28/2008 10:12:57 AM
On Aug 28, 11:12 a.m, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de>
wrote:
> Hello WANG Cong,
>
> WANG Cong wrote:
> > Hello, experts!
>
> > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> > from other servers?
>
> Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-)

That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I
_always_ got:

# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
found

(192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)

And if I didn't remove the server lines, I can easily run the above
command
successfully. :-)

Any ideas?

> If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize
> to them you can simply append the noselect keyword to the entries, e.g.
>
> server pool.ntp.org noselect

Thanks, I just need not to synchronize. :)
0
WANG
8/28/2008 10:28:09 AM
"WANG Cong" <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote in message

> [...] if there's no server lines, I _always_ got:
>
> # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
> 28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
> found
>
> (192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)

It seems that without servers, you have no synchronisation sources left.
(Which is probably correct.) So you fake one.

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14

These two lines will cause your server to believe its own, free-running,
clock and consider itself synchronised and serve time, while indicating
that the time served is of quite atrocious quality.

Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from anyone?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

0
Maarten
8/28/2008 11:49:33 AM
WANG Cong wrote:
> Hello, experts!
>
> Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> from other servers?
> I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't
> find any good solution.
>
> Any comments are welcome! Thanks!

What problem are you trying to solve?

You can equip your system with a "hardware reference clock"; e.g. a GPS
Timing Receiver, or an atomic clock and you will not need any external
server(s).

If you don't really care what time it is and simply want all your
systems to have the SAME time, I'd suggest something like rdate.
0
Richard
8/28/2008 11:49:42 AM
On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" <maar...@kittensandcats.net>
wrote:
> "WANG Cong" <xiyou.wangc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > [...] if there's no server lines, I _always_ got:
>
> > # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
> > 28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
> > found
>
> > (192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)
>
> It seems that without servers, you have no synchronisation sources left.
> (Which is probably correct.) So you fake one.
>
> server 127.127.1.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14

Cool! It works! 8-)
But there's a little problem, when I changed my ntp.conf, I have to
wait
for several minutes until it works well, if not, I got:

192.168.90.41: Server dropped: strata too high

I googled a bit, and someone said this is due to the time of the
server is far from correct, but it is not. See below:

# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
28 Aug 14:23:38 ntpdate[18923]: adjust time server 194.117.9.136
offset -0.174164 sec
# LC_ALL=en_US-UTF8 date
Thu Aug 28 14:23:42 WEST 2008

At the same time, I ran this on the server:
> date
Thu Aug 28 14:23:47 BST 2008

Now:
# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u 192.168.90.41
28 Aug 14:24:02 ntpdate[18942]: no server suitable for synchronization
found

So the time on the server was nearly correct. Right?

Any idea to solve this?

> These two lines will cause your server to believe its own, free-running,
> clock and consider itself synchronised and serve time, while indicating
> that the time served is of quite atrocious quality.
>
> Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from anyone?

Yes, because we want:

1. Configure the time of the server manually, no matter how wrong it
is. :)
So in this situation, we don't want synchronization, but still need to
provide
the time service to other PCs.

2. Synchronize the time from other servers and provide service. This
is
very easy and works well.

Thanks.
0
WANG
8/28/2008 1:35:41 PM
On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> WANG Cong wrote:
> > Hello, experts!
>
> > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> > from other servers?
> > I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't
> > find any good solution.
>
> > Any comments are welcome! Thanks!
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?

Can you have a look at my another reply in this thread?
I just explained. :-)

> You can equip your system with a "hardware reference clock"; e.g. a GPS
> Timing Receiver, or an atomic clock and you will not need any external
> server(s).

Unfortunately, we don't have this. :(

> If you don't really care what time it is and simply want all your
> systems to have the SAME time, I'd suggest something like rdate.

Yes, but I still need a server to provide time service, right?
That's the problem. :-)

0
WANG
8/28/2008 1:50:29 PM
> On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" <maar...@kittensandcats.net>
> wrote:

>> server 127.127.1.0
>> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14
>
> Cool! It works! 8-)
> But there's a little problem, when I changed my ntp.conf, I have to
> wait for several minutes until it works well, if not, I got:
>
> 192.168.90.41: Server dropped: strata too high

NTP really solves a different problem than yours. It's slower than
it might be as a result. Nothing you can fix. Live with it.

> I googled a bit, and someone said this is due to the time of the
> server is far from correct, but it is not. See below:
>
> # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
> 28 Aug 14:23:38 ntpdate[18923]: adjust time server 194.117.9.136
> offset -0.174164 sec
> # LC_ALL=en_US-UTF8 date
> Thu Aug 28 14:23:42 WEST 2008
>
> At the same time, I ran this on the server:
> > date
> Thu Aug 28 14:23:47 BST 2008

That's not the same time. There's a five second difference! Please
realise that you are dealing with a product, and a crowd, to whom
128ms time difference is enough to go to emergency measures, and
500PPM speed difference is enough to stop trying permanently.

[...]
>> Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from anyone?
>
> Yes, because we want:
>
> 1. Configure the time of the server manually, no matter how wrong it
> is. :)

I've been in that boat. It can be a right pain to test expiration dates
with a clock that won't stay in 2099 or more than a few seconds.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

0
Maarten
8/28/2008 2:10:09 PM
On 2008-08-28, WANG Cong <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net>
>
>> If you don't really care what time it is and simply want all your
>> systems to have the SAME time, I'd suggest something like rdate.
>
> Yes, but I still need a server to provide time service, right? That's
> the problem. :-)

rdate retrieves the time from inetd.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke@ntp.org>
Steve
On 2008-08-28, WANG Cong <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" wrote:
>
>> server 127.127.1.0
>> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14
>
> Cool! It works! 8-) But there's a little problem, when I changed my
> ntp.conf, I have to wait for several minutes until it works well, if
> not, I got:
>
> 192.168.90.41: Server dropped: strata too high
>
> I googled a bit, and someone said this is due to the time of the
> server is far from correct, but it is not. See below:

No. That's not the problem.

Your server needs to be "synced" before ntpdate will consider it
acceptable. The issue here is that with the configuration suggested
above the current stable release of ntpd will take almost 3.5 minutes
before it decides that it is "synced". This is because the default poll
interval is 64 seconds and ntpd requires 3 poll periods before it
accepts the Undiciplined Local Clock.

You may speed this process up by reducing the minpoll to 4. This sets
the minumum poll to 16 seconds and reduces the "sync" time to ~ 50
seconds.

If that is not fast enough try the current ntp-dev snap shot which,
IIRC, accepts the Undiciplined Local Clock after the first poll.

You may also want to try Orphan mode instead of the Undisciplined Local
Clock on your "server". Enable orphan mode like this:

	tos orphan N

Where 'N' is the stratum that you want your server to operate at. It is
considered good practice to use a large number (e.g. 10, or so) to
prevent problems when your time-island is connected to other networks.

>> Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from
>> anyone?
>
> Yes, because we want:
>
> 1. Configure the time of the server manually, no matter how wrong it
> is. :) So in this situation, we don't want synchronization, but still
> need to provide the time service to other PCs.

Why do you need to do this?

Please keep in mind that NTP is designed to synchronize computers to
a common time-base. UTC (via WAN, LAN, or directly attached reference
clock) is ubiquitous time-base because, but other time-bases may be
used. NTP is not a magic black box which can produce stable clocks with
out some sort of stable (usually external) reference.

> 2. Synchronize the time from other servers and provide service. This
> is very easy and works well.

That is what NTP is designed for.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke@ntp.org>
Steve
8/28/2008 3:25:31 PM
On Aug 28, 3:10 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" <maar...@kittensandcats.net>
wrote:
> "WANG Cong" <xiyou.wangc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" <maar...@kittensandcats.net>
> > wrote:
> >> server 127.127.1.0
> >> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14
>
> > Cool! It works! 8-)
> > But there's a little problem, when I changed my ntp.conf, I have to
> > wait for several minutes until it works well, if not, I got:
>
> > 192.168.90.41: Server dropped: strata too high
>
> NTP really solves a different problem than yours. It's slower than
> it might be as a result. Nothing you can fix. Live with it.

Thanks, Maarten and others!
0
WANG
8/28/2008 3:26:57 PM
WANG Cong <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> writes:

>Hello, experts!

>Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
>from other servers?
>I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't
>find any good solution.

Sure. switch it off. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

0
Unruh
8/28/2008 6:06:34 PM
WANG Cong <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> writes:

>On Aug 28, 11:12 a.m, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de>
>wrote:
>> Hello WANG Cong,
>>
>> WANG Cong wrote:
>> > Hello, experts!
>>
>> > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
>> > from other servers?
>>
>> Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-)

>That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I
>_always_ got:

># /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
>28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
>found

Sure. That was what you asked for. It is unusual, but it is what you
wanted. What is the problem?

>(192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)

>And if I didn't remove the server lines, I can easily run the above
>command
>successfully. :-)

>Any ideas?

>> If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize
>> to them you can simply append the noselect keyword to the entries, e.g.
>>
>> server pool.ntp.org noselect
>>

>Thanks, I just need not to synchronize. :)
0
Unruh
8/28/2008 6:07:59 PM
On Aug 28, 4:25 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2008-08-28, WANG Cong <xiyou.wangc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" wrote:
>
> >> server 127.127.1.0
> >> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14
>
> > Cool! It works! 8-) But there's a little problem, when I changed my
> > ntp.conf, I have to wait for several minutes until it works well, if
> > not, I got:
>
> > 192.168.90.41: Server dropped: strata too high
>
> > I googled a bit, and someone said this is due to the time of the
> > server is far from correct, but it is not. See below:
>
> No. That's not the problem.
>
> Your server needs to be "synced" before ntpdate will consider it
> acceptable. The issue here is that with the configuration suggested
> above the current stable release of ntpd will take almost 3.5 minutes
> before it decides that it is "synced". This is because the default poll
> interval is 64 seconds and ntpd requires 3 poll periods before it
> accepts the Undiciplined Local Clock.
>
> You may speed this process up by reducing the minpoll to 4. This sets
> the minumum poll to 16 seconds and reduces the "sync" time to ~ 50
> seconds.
>
> If that is not fast enough try the current ntp-dev snap shot which,
> IIRC, accepts the Undiciplined Local Clock after the first poll.
>
> You may also want to try Orphan mode instead of the Undisciplined Local
> Clock on your "server". Enable orphan mode like this:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 tos orphan N
>
> Where 'N' is the stratum that you want your server to operate at. It is
> considered good practice to use a large number (e.g. 10, or so) to
> prevent problems when your time-island is connected to other networks.

Excellent! Thank you. :)

> >> Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from
> >> anyone?
>
> > Yes, because we want:
>
> > 1. Configure the time of the server manually, no matter how wrong it
> > is. :) So in this situation, we don't want synchronization, but still
> > need to provide the time service to other PCs.
>
> Why do you need to do this?
>
> Please keep in mind that NTP is designed to synchronize computers to
> a common time-base. UTC (via WAN, LAN, or directly attached reference
> clock) is ubiquitous time-base because, but other time-bases may be
> used. NTP is not a magic black box which can produce stable clocks with
> out some sort of stable (usually external) reference.

NTP is always provide correct time, we give the power of being wrong
the users, although we know this is bad. :^) Forgive me.

Thanks for your care.

0
WANG
8/28/2008 6:33:36 PM
On Aug 28, 7:07 pm, Unruh <unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> WANG Cong <xiyou.wangc...@gmail.com> writes:
> >On Aug 28, 11:12 a.m, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de>
> >wrote:

> >> Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-)
> >That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I
> >_always_ got:
> ># /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
> >28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
> >found
>
> Sure. That was what you asked for. It is unusual, but it is what you
> wanted. What is the problem?

If so, that means the clients can't update their time. I don't want
sync,
but I stilll need to provide the time service to clients. :-)

0
WANG
8/28/2008 6:36:02 PM
WANG Cong wrote:
> On Aug 28, 7:07 pm, Unruh <unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> WANG Cong <xiyou.wangc...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I
>>> _always_ got:
>>> # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
>>> 28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
>>> found
>> Sure. That was what you asked for. It is unusual, but it is what you
>> wanted. What is the problem?
>>

> If so, that means the clients can't update their time. I don't want
> sync,
> but I stilll need to provide the time service to clients. :-)

Perhaps you are using the wrong tool for the job.  NTP is all about
getting and keeping the CORRECT time.

Your requirements seem sufficiently odd that you may need to write your
own software!
0
Richard
8/28/2008 7:26:53 PM
Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> WANG Cong wrote:
>>> Sure. That was what you asked for. It is unusual, but it is what you
>>> wanted. What is the problem?
>>>

>> If so, that means the clients can't update their time. I don't want
>> sync,
>> but I stilll need to provide the time service to clients. :-)
>>

> Perhaps you are using the wrong tool for the job.  NTP is all about
> getting and keeping the CORRECT time.
>
> Your requirements seem sufficiently odd that you may need to write your
> own software!

Why should it he write his own software? NTP can do this very well.

If this is run in a closed network where it it sufficient that all nodes
just have the *same* time then this is absolutely OK.

For example, we have some customers who need to run their machines on TAI
rather than UTC. If they synchronize their top level NTP server to TAI then
using NTP to synchronize all the clients to TAI works like a charme.

Of course those folks must take care not to intermix NTP servers with UTC or
TAI or whatever, and they must not make those servers publicly accessible.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren
Bad Pyrmont
Germany
0
Martin
8/29/2008 8:10:19 AM
>>> In article <8d3c2902-93a5-44fc-9e66-0356538955c0@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, WANG Cong <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 28, 11:12 a.m, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de>
>> Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-)

WANG> That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I
WANG> _always_ got:

WANG> # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41 28 Aug 11:21:35
WANG> ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization found

ntpdate does not use the ntp.conf file.

I suspect that either .41 is not sync'd or you have firewall problems or a
'restrict' line in .41's ntp.conf file.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!
WANG Cong <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, experts!
>
> Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> from other servers?

Maybe see how NTP works: you NEED a reference clock! So maybe explain in
detail what you really want.

> I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't
> find any good solution.
>
> Any comments are welcome! Thanks!
0
Ulrich
9/3/2008 6:06:59 AM
Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki@meinberg.de> writes:

[...]
> Why should it he write his own software? NTP can do this very well.
>
> If this is run in a closed network where it it sufficient that all nodes
> just have the *same* time then this is absolutely OK.

....unless you are connecting to the Internet. Just think of certificates,
Kerberos, browser caches, EMail time stamps, etc.

> For example, we have some customers who need to run their machines on TAI
> rather than UTC. If they synchronize their top level NTP server to TAI then
> using NTP to synchronize all the clients to TAI works like a charme.
>
> Of course those folks must take care not to intermix NTP servers with UTC or
> TAI or whatever, and they must not make those servers publicly accessible.
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Burnicki
>
> Meinberg Funkuhren
> Bad Pyrmont
> Germany
0
Ulrich

NTP Server Synchronizing with the incorrect NTP server
Problem: I configured my NTP server in Linux to use the US Pool of NTP Servers in /e= tc/ntp.conf. I restarted the NTP service many times and the actual server m= any times, but it was not using the pool. I was verifying this by using the= ntpq -p command. It was using a time server it picked up via DHCP when it = was plugged into a completely different network. I had no idea where it was= getting this information. Solution: After running strace (strace /etc/init.d/ntp restart) I was able to see it = was picking up the configuration from /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp . I deleted /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp, restarted NTP (/etc/init.d/ntp restar= t) and it synchronizes with the servers configured in /etc/ntp.conf now. You are on deb/ubu i take it. You need to edit /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf and remove ntp-servers from the dhcp request. Its sily the way they have it. it should be a flag in /etc/default On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM, <jhunt1983@gmail.com> wrote: > Problem: > > I configured my NTP server in Linux to use the US Pool of NTP Servers in /etc/ntp.conf. I restarted the NTP service many times and the actual server many times, but it was not using the pool. I was verifying this by using the ntpq -p command. It was using a time server it picked up via DHCP when it was plugged into a completely different network. I had no idea where it was getting this information. > > Solution: > > After running strace (strace /e...

can AIX 5.x pull NTP time from a win2000 server with the NTP server enabled?
We have a win2k sever connected via serial timetap to a spectracom netclock/2. can an AIX 5.1 server pull NTP time from this..if so how. TIA. me@home.com wrote: > We have a win2k sever connected via serial timetap to a spectracom > netclock/2. can an AIX 5.1 server pull NTP time from this..if so how. > TIA. Yes, it can, but you'd probably prefer to go the opposite way, or connect that Spectracom clock to a surplus Pentium running FreeBSD. Using NT, if that clock isn't directly supported by NTP on NT, then you'd need to configure a local clock, and use the supplied ...

Local time and NTP server time
Hello when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? thx Melanie Pfefer <melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > It doesn't as ntp always uses UTC. Conversion to local time is up to the system. -- Jim Pennino Remove .spam.sux to reply. Melanie Pfefer wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > ...

NTP server can not synchronize with external NTP server
Dear All, I got the problem, my NTP server can not synchronize with external NTP server. *root@ntpserver:~# ntpdate -d 2.id.pool.ntp.org 7 Jan 10:24:37 ntpdate[1779]: ntpdate 4.2.4p6@1.1549-o Thu Oct 22 21:58:39 UTC 2009 (1) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) transmit(110.92.72.250) transmit(202.162.32.12) 110.92.72.250: Server dropped: no data 202.162.32.12: Server dropped: no data server 110.92.72.250, port 123 stratum 0, precision 0,...

what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME
Hi, Scenario: - I'm in control of a NTP server and can change the time on this server as I please (this server is "sync'ed to the hw-clock) - I have a client that is sync'ed with the server above (and only that server) What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this changes? Yes, I do realise that this scenario is stupid in many ways. Only one server, big time changes on the server etc etc, and I do know how t...

Re: [ntp:questions] Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > That worked. I had a number of peers who's access policy had changed. > Also, it seems that changing notrust to nopeer seems to have corrected > the problem. Thanks for your help. > You shouldn't use notrust unless you know what you are doing. Its meaning changed betweeen 4.1.x and 4.2.0 and almost certainly was the cause of your problems. Danny ...

A ntp client is running ahead of time of our netowork ntp server.
Hi List I have an issue with a ntp client running Linux SuSE 9.3 Our Network ntp server is a Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1A. *I initialy had an* error regarding seeing* *"Bad file descriptor" errors in /var/log/ntp* *then made sure that only one instance of ntpd* *is running socklist command and ps -auxxx|egrep ntpd thus run * *kill -9 PID's and restart ntpd /etc/init.d/ntpd restart. This seemed to fix things and when I run date command volia I thought I fixed it So thus to test after weekend. * *Thus I have checked this morning using date command and I the ...

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > > 4.2.0: > > notrust > > Deny service unless the packet is cryptographically > > authenticated. nopeer > > Deny packets which would result in mobilizing a new association. > > This includes > > broadcast and symmetric active packets when a configured > > association does not exist. > > > It's not specified in the man page, which is probably why I missed it. > > -- > Daniel Rudy > The man pages are not authorative. Always look at the HTML documentation. Danny D...

NTP client syncs successfully with NTP server within local network but not with the NTP pool servers
I am using ntp 4.2.6p5 on linux. I setup an NTP server on a machine in another subnet and tried to sync my machine with the server and it works well. But when I try to use the pool.ntp.org servers (I tried 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, etc. and just pool.ntp.org servers), it does not sync. nslookup on pool.ntp.org as well as 0.pool.ntp.org gives proper DNS resolution and ping works on the IPs returned by nslookup as well. Output of iptables grepped for UDP is as follows: [Thu Feb 10 12:39:14 root@root-ubuntu:~]# iptables -L -n -v | grep udp 92 13001 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:123 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:161 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:443 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:623 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:389 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:636 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:3268 0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:3269 Output of the netstat command is as follows: [Thu Feb 10 12:35:51 root@root-ubuntu:~]# netstat -a | grep udp udp 0 0 localhost:9473 0...

Sow to sync system time to BIOS automatic after ntpd updated os time from remote ntp server?
Hi, all, I meet below problem on SUSE11 sp1 64bit with ntp4.2.4p6: 1. Set os date and bios date 7 minutes earlier than current date time; and wait ntpd to sync from remote ntp server to fix the time , after some minutes, both OS time and bios time fixed. 2. but when I try to test 30 minutes instead of 7minutes, only os time synced with upper level ntp server, the bios time still 30 minutes earlier than os time. hwclock can sync time to bios. Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? Thanks. -- Colin > > Is th...

On NTP server, how to check offset between client and NTP server?
Dear All I have stratum 2 NTP server. My client request time from my NTP server. On my NTP server, how to know offset of between my client and my server ? I found ntp_script software suite from http://www.schlitt.net/scripts/ntp/. It's not solve my problem directly. Thanks Chong On 2008-10-09, chowalit.lab Chowalit Lab Linux <chowalit.lab@gmail.com> wrote: > I have stratum 2 NTP server. My client request time from my > NTP server. On my NTP server, how to know offset of between my > client and my server ? I found ntp_script software suite from > http://www.schlit...

server time != my time
on a timestamp, what's the best way to make the timestamp show as my time, rather than the server's time? i.e., it is 10:49 am here but the code on the server will create a timestamp of 2:49 pm. I want it to be stamped as 10:49 am Herb wrote: > on a timestamp, what's the best way to make the timestamp show as my > time, rather than the server's time? > > i.e., it is 10:49 am here but the code on the server will create a > timestamp of 2:49 pm. I want it to be stamped as 10:49 am Take a look at: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/time-zone-support.html ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: richard.gayraud@free.fr, blourdel@cisco.com Pages: 9 Characters: 17452 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5908.txt The NTP Server Option for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) provides NTPv4 (Network Time Protocol version 4) server location information to DHCPv6 hosts. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements. Please refer to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and status of this protocol. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. To subscribe or unsubscribe, see http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce http:...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:58:03 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date...

how to set time from NTP server
Hi all, is it possible to set the time of an QNX 4.25 with TCP/IP 5.0 System from an NTP Time-Server without any additional SW. My Server is Windows SBS 2003. Thank you Thomas ...

time to find ntp server
Hi all, I have confiured an external server and the local clock. After starting ntp the ntptrace command shows 2 entries. I stop the ntp server on the external server. After 5 minuter ntptrace shows but one entry (localhost). I restart ntp on the external server. How long should it take before the client becomes aware of this external server? System is solaris 10 galaxy with suncluster. # ntptrace (on cluster node 2) localhost: stratum 5, offset 0.000022, synch distance 0.38689 clusternode1-priv: stratum 4, offset 0.000027, synch distance 0.01012 after 5minutes: # ntptrace localhost: str...

different times from same ntp server
Hi all, i m having a very strange problem. the problem is that when i get time from= =20 clock2.redhat.com <http://clock2.redhat.com> for my windows machine then it= =20 is giving the correct time (according to out country's standard time) but= =20 when i try to syncronize my linux (redhat 9) machine from same ntp server ( clock2.redhat.com <http://clock2.redhat.com>) then there is a time differnc= e=20 of +1 hour. My linux machine is always one hour ahead of (standard time).= =20 Since i have tried this on my other linux and windows machines i m having= =20 same typr of proble...

time sync? time servers give wrong time
I'm in toronto. Eastern Standard time. I use netdate linux to sync my clock. I use: /usr/sbin/netdate -l 2 localhost 193.67.79.202 216.46.5.9 This was working fine until last week when the DST changed. Now it reports one hour behind. Every name server does this. For example: localhost +0.000 Thu Mar 13 19:17:51.519 193.67.79.202 -0.669 Thu Mar 13 19:17:51.000 216.46.5.9 -0.718 Thu Mar 13 19:17:51.000 Local host firewall has best time, so not setting date localhost +0.000 Thu Mar 13 19:17:51.718 But its 20:17 right now in EST. How do I f...

NTP Server time drifts slower ?
I have tried configuring my local NTP Server (that is, the machine does't connect to internet) with following configuration : --> configuration for ntpd in /etc/ntp.conf : logfile /var/log/ntpd driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/ statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable server 127.127.1.0 fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 restrict default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery restrict 127.0.0.1 nomodify --> drif...

Unable to get time from NTP server
Hello, I have a machine that is dedicated to providing NTP service. When I upgrade the operating system on that machine from FreeBSD 4.10 to FreeBSD 5.3, it seems that the machine is no longer responding to time requests. I have used ntpdc to check the status of the server and I have tried to restart the server to no avail. There just is not any response from the server at all. I'm running the server with the following information below. There are no errors in the log, and the server is running. Any ideas? /usr/sbin/ntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid /etc/ntp.con...

NTP Time Server for LAN: Broadcasting or Not?
Hi Folks, I've got a FreeBSD - NTP time server configured on my small LAN. Here's some output: ntpq> pe remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter =============================================================================== +navobs1.wustl.e .USNO. 1 u 41 64 333 178.181 -51.694 131.381 +india.colorado. .ACTS. 1 u 37 64 377 192.120 84.779 45.140 *navobs1.oar.net .USNO. 1 u 106 64 376 191.750 114.124 110.657 +now.cis.okstate .PSC. 1 u 40 64 377 192.337 118.809 53.2...

ntp or other time stuff on virtual server?
A question has come up on another newgroup whethr or not the time can be disciplined via ntp (or chrony) on a virtual server. I would suspect not (imagine the mess if both ntp on one virtual server and chrony on another were both trying to discipline the same hardware clock, and I cannot see how the virtual OS could keep track of its own separate clock since it only gets some subset of the time slices on the real system) but perhaps I am wrong. Can a virtual server discipline its own clock? If not, how is the adjtimex system call trapped? Surely each virtual machine cannot influence the real s...

Questions about the NTP time server with GPS system
I have set up the server (RED HAT Linux 9.0) for NTP time server. When I set it as local time server (without connect to the GPS system), it was okay. When I connect the server to the GPS system. The server can follow/synchronize the GPS clock to change the time once only. But the error message pop up in the "/var/log/message". The error message are as below. "kernel time discipline status change 41" "synchronisation lost" Below are the configuration of the NTP time server. For "/etc/ntp.conf": # Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver i...

Web resources about - Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers - comp.protocols.time.ntp

synchronize on the App Store on iTunes
Get synchronize on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

How to synchronize metronomes - YouTube
This video shows how you can synchronize a set of oscillators (e.g., metronomes, pendulum clocks, etc) by coupling them together. At the very ...

China to synchronize trade growth, economic expansion
China to synchronize trade growth, economic expansion People's Daily Online ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, ...

Jailbreak Only: CloudPaste - Synchronize Your Clipboard Between All Your Apple Devices
CloudPaste is a new jailbreak tweak and service that allows users to sync their clipboard between Apple devices, including iOS devices and Mac ...

Synchronize media players for group viewing with Syncplay
Syncplay is a free tool which syncs media players over the web, allowing a scattered group of friends to watch videos together. To get started ...

Synchronize Google Calendar With Outlook
... and delete a remote iCalendar. This open-source has added support for Google Calendars, and except for some limitations, you can now synchronize ...

Professors' proposed calendar synchronizes dates with days
Two professors at Johns Hopkins University are proposing a new, universal calendar in which each day falls on the same date every year.

Sophos Synchronizes Security With Security Heartbeat
New firewall technology and endpoint software debut to provide better visibility and control for security risk.

Force Feeding At Gitmo Will ‘Synchronize’ With Ramadan
... have yet to be charged with a crime, will continue to be force fed during Ramadan. And here’s the humane part, the force feeding will be synchronized ...

Judge Koh denies Apple's request to synchronize dissolution of existing and grant of new injunction
... Samsung's request for an expedited schedule for its dissolution request. Apart from that, she doesn't believe that Apple is entitled to synchronized ...