NTP Server Synchronizing with the incorrect NTP server

Problem:

I configured my NTP server in Linux to use the US Pool of NTP Servers in /e=
tc/ntp.conf. I restarted the NTP service many times and the actual server m=
any times, but it was not using the pool. I was verifying this by using the=
 ntpq -p command. It was using a time server it picked up via DHCP when it =
was plugged into a completely different network. I had no idea where it was=
 getting this information.

Solution:

After running strace (strace /etc/init.d/ntp restart) I was able to see it =
was picking up the configuration from /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp .

I deleted /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp, restarted NTP (/etc/init.d/ntp restar=
t) and it synchronizes with the servers configured in /etc/ntp.conf now.
0
jhunt1983

You are on deb/ubu i take it. You need to edit /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
and remove ntp-servers from the dhcp request.

Its sily the way they have it. it should be a flag in /etc/default

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM,  <jhunt1983@gmail.com> wrote:
> Problem:
>
> I configured my NTP server in Linux to use the US Pool of NTP Servers in /etc/ntp.conf. I restarted the NTP service many times and the actual server many times, but it was not using the pool. I was verifying this by using the ntpq -p command. It was using a time server it picked up via DHCP when it was plugged into a completely different network. I had no idea where it was getting this information.
>
> Solution:
>
> After running strace (strace /etc/init.d/ntp restart) I was able to see it was picking up the configuration from /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp .
>
> I deleted /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp, restarted NTP (/etc/init.d/ntp restart) and it synchronizes with the servers configured in /etc/ntp.conf now.

Doug