oscillator types used for pc clocks?

Do "typical" personal computers contain OCXO or TCXO oscillators for their clocks?
0
ryandrk

Drk Ryan wrote:
> Do "typical" personal computers contain OCXO or TCXO oscillators for their clocks?

No.  Not even the expensive ones.  Not even $50,000 SMP machines.

0
Michael
7/3/2003 2:47:22 PM
Drk Ryan wrote:

>Do "typical" personal computers contain OCXO or TCXO oscillators for their clocks?

You've got to be joking.  You're lucky if you have a crystal.  I have a
GPS interface to my PC from which I calibrate the CPU and timer clocks.
I can use a hair dryer to raise the temperature and watch the clocks
change, or use a refrigeration spray and watch them go the other way.

You can't count on the clocks in the personal computers to be any better
that 100 PPM.

If you need some help, contact me off list.

Mike
   Michael Klos                       Email: mike@klos.com
   Klos Technologies, Inc.            Voice: (607) 543-0333
   12 Jewett                          FAX:   (561) 828-6397
   Cortland, NY 13045-2057            Web:   http://www.timegeeks.com/
====================== 42.60394 N -- 76.18243 W ======================

0
Michael
7/4/2003 2:57:20 PM
Michael Klos wrote:

> You can't count on the clocks in the personal computers to be any better
> that 100 PPM.

Several sub-$200 SBCs I have do better than 5 PPM.  But I can remotely
check on the temperature of the room by measuring these against
a reference source ;-)

0
Michael