Question about RFC-2030 SNTP Version4 288183

I read RFC-2030 SNTP Version4 and I have two question.

1) Varid Stratum is 1-15, but check range is written as "1-14".
    It's not match.

2) definition of roundtrip delay is written as

    d = (T4 - T1) - (T2 - T3)

    but, I think T2 and T3 is opposite, because T3 is greater than T2.
    I think

    d = (T4 - T1) - (T3 - T2)

    is correct.

how do you think about this?

Akinori Shoji

0
AKINORI

I found RFC Eratta in RFC Editor page.
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata.html

> 2) definition of roundtrip delay is written as
>
>     d = (T4 - T1) - (T2 - T3)
>
>     but, I think T2 and T3 is opposite, because T3 is greater than T2.
>     I think
>
>     d = (T4 - T1) - (T3 - T2)
>
>     is correct.

but question (1) is still not resolved.

Akinori Shoji.

0
AKINORI
7/18/2003 10:00:34 AM
Sir,

See the IETF for a list of corrections for RFC-2030. So far as I know,
the only typo is the one you, and well over 60 others, have found since
publication.

Stratum 15 represents a invalid synchronization condition. See RFC-1305.

Dave

AKINORI SHOJI wrote:
> I read RFC-2030 SNTP Version4 and I have two question.
>
> 1) Varid Stratum is 1-15, but check range is written as "1-14".
>     It's not match.
>
> 2) definition of roundtrip delay is written as
>
>     d = (T4 - T1) - (T2 - T3)
>
>     but, I think T2 and T3 is opposite, because T3 is greater than T2.
>     I think
>
>     d = (T4 - T1) - (T3 - T2)
>
>     is correct.
>
> how do you think about this?
>
> Akinori Shoji

0
David
7/18/2003 2:24:53 PM
Dir sir.
I'll check RFC errata first when I use RFC next time.
And I've learned Stratum-15 is invalid value.
Thank you for replying and teaching me.
Best regards.

Akinori Shoji (Yokohama, Japan)
0