f



Re: Annoying sync loss every 20 minutes on Poweredge 2600, RH7.3]


Harlan Stenn wrote:
> This means your kernel was compiled with HZ=100, which is Good.
> 
> It's strange that your time "jumps" are different - I'd expect them to
> be about the same amount.
> 
> What value is in your ntp.drift file?

At the moment 78.932

I think I will try to disable everything - even NICs in order to locate the
hardware causing this. I'm suspecting the (P)RNG which is onboard. The NICs
are Intel I'm using on other systems too, so they should be fine. I have no
IRQ conflicts and have disabled even serial ports.

Edin

> 
> Harlan
> 

-- 
Edin Dizdarevic

0
Edin
7/4/2003 9:26:20 AM
comp.protocols.time.ntp 4895 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
655 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6


Edin Dizdarevic wrote:
> 
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
> 
>>This means your kernel was compiled with HZ=100, which is Good.
>>
>>It's strange that your time "jumps" are different - I'd expect them to
>>be about the same amount.
>>
>>What value is in your ntp.drift file?
> 
> 
> At the moment 78.932

Ooops, wrong machine:

44.735 is the correct value...

Regards,

Edin

> 
> I think I will try to disable everything - even NICs in order to locate the
> hardware causing this. I'm suspecting the (P)RNG which is onboard. The NICs
> are Intel I'm using on other systems too, so they should be fine. I have no
> IRQ conflicts and have disabled even serial ports.
> 
> Edin
> 
> 
>>Harlan
>>
> 
> 

-- 
Edin Dizdarevic

0
Edin
7/4/2003 9:31:21 AM
In article <3F054969.80203@interActive-Systems.de>,
Edin Dizdarevic  <Edin.Dizdarevic@interActive-Systems.de> wrote:
>Edin Dizdarevic wrote:
>> I think I will try to disable everything - even NICs in order to locate the
>> hardware causing this. I'm suspecting the (P)RNG which is onboard. The NICs
>> are Intel I'm using on other systems too, so they should be fine. I have no
>> IRQ conflicts and have disabled even serial ports.

Do you compile your own kernels?  Can you turn APM off?
Do you need the RNG, or can you turn that off too?
Is X turned off as well?

It just occurred to me that perhaps your machine is under-used.  Sometimes
hardware/software will try to slow the CPU down when that happens.  What
happens if you run something that computes arctan(1.0) once a second?
0
mcintosh
7/4/2003 2:20:05 PM

Allen McIntosh wrote:
> In article <3F054969.80203@interActive-Systems.de>,
> Edin Dizdarevic  <Edin.Dizdarevic@interActive-Systems.de> wrote:
> 
>>Edin Dizdarevic wrote:
>>
>>>I think I will try to disable everything - even NICs in order to locate the
>>>hardware causing this. I'm suspecting the (P)RNG which is onboard. The NICs
>>>are Intel I'm using on other systems too, so they should be fine. I have no
>>>IRQ conflicts and have disabled even serial ports.
> 
> 
> Do you compile your own kernels?  Can you turn APM off?

Yes and yes, APM is on... I'll turn it off right now...

> Do you need the RNG, or can you turn that off too?

I would like to use it. I turned it off but it didn't help. Its not RNG, I
think.

> Is X turned off as well?
> 
> It just occurred to me that perhaps your machine is under-used.  Sometimes
> hardware/software will try to slow the CPU down when that happens.  What
> happens if you run something that computes arctan(1.0) once a second?

This machine is mostly idle doing nothing. It could be. I'll try that too.

Best regards,

Edin


-- 
Sicherheit gibt es nicht umsonst - zu keiner Zeit und nirgendwo!
(Das BSI IT-Sicherheitshandbuch)

0
Edin
7/4/2003 2:45:06 PM
In article <be4in4$srmq$1@ID-139806.news.dfncis.de>,
Edin Dizdarevic  <Edin.Dizdarevic@interActive-Systems.de> wrote:

>I give up and have to live with it.

It could also be *gasp* the clock.  You could try fiddling with it.
0
mcintosh
7/6/2003 2:00:00 AM
Reply: