server restriction...

hello list,

i have a server restriction line:
"restrict ntp.demon.co.uk"
with
"server ntp.demon.co.uk"
....which i thought gave open access to this server.
however the debug says incoming packets remain restricted, so dumped,
unless i remove the catch-all:
"restrict default ignore"

can anyone tell me why the restriction is not lifted by the first line
above?

thanks
- chris

0
Chris

Cancel!

v4.1.1 has only dotted quad format for the 'restrict' keyword.

ho-hum.

0
Chris

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

can AIX 5.x pull NTP time from a win2000 server with the NTP server enabled?
We have a win2k sever connected via serial timetap to a spectracom netclock/2. can an AIX 5.1 server pull NTP time from this..if so how. TIA. me@home.com wrote: > We have a win2k sever connected via serial timetap to a spectracom > netclock/2. can an AIX 5.1 server pull NTP time from this..if so how. > TIA. Yes, it can, but you'd probably prefer to go the opposite way, or connect that Spectracom clock to a surplus Pentium running FreeBSD. Using NT, if that clock isn't directly supported by NTP on NT, then you'd need to configure a local clock, and use the supplied ...

Local time and NTP server time
Hello when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? thx Melanie Pfefer <melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > It doesn't as ntp always uses UTC. Conversion to local time is up to the system. -- Jim Pennino Remove .spam.sux to reply. Melanie Pfefer wrote: > Hello > > when I specify for example a ntp that is located in a different Time Zone, how ntp records my local time? > ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: richard.gayraud@free.fr, blourdel@cisco.com Pages: 9 Characters: 17452 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt URL: ...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:58:03 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date...

Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers
Hello, experts! Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time from other servers? I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't find any good solution. Any comments are welcome! Thanks! Hello WANG Cong, WANG Cong wrote: > Hello, experts! > > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time > from other servers? Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-) If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize to them you can simply append the noselect keyword ...

what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME
Hi, Scenario: - I'm in control of a NTP server and can change the time on this server as I please (this server is "sync'ed to the hw-clock) - I have a client that is sync'ed with the server above (and only that server) What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap? small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this changes? Yes, I do realise that this scenario is stupid in many ways. Only one server, big time changes on the server etc etc, and I do know how t...

A ntp client is running ahead of time of our netowork ntp server.
Hi List I have an issue with a ntp client running Linux SuSE 9.3 Our Network ntp server is a Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1A. *I initialy had an* error regarding seeing* *"Bad file descriptor" errors in /var/log/ntp* *then made sure that only one instance of ntpd* *is running socklist command and ps -auxxx|egrep ntpd thus run * *kill -9 PID's and restart ntpd /etc/init.d/ntpd restart. This seemed to fix things and when I run date command volia I thought I fixed it So thus to test after weekend. * *Thus I have checked this morning using date command and I the ...

Re: [ntp:questions] Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > That worked. I had a number of peers who's access policy had changed. > Also, it seems that changing notrust to nopeer seems to have corrected > the problem. Thanks for your help. > You shouldn't use notrust unless you know what you are doing. Its meaning changed betweeen 4.1.x and 4.2.0 and almost certainly was the cause of your problems. Danny ...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: Unable to get time from NTP server
----- Original Message Follows ----- > > 4.2.0: > > notrust > > Deny service unless the packet is cryptographically > > authenticated. nopeer > > Deny packets which would result in mobilizing a new association. > > This includes > > broadcast and symmetric active packets when a configured > > association does not exist. > > > It's not specified in the man page, which is probably why I missed it. > > -- > Daniel Rudy > The man pages are not authorative. Always look at the HTML documentation. Danny D...

Protocol for time server.
Okay I would like to look at the possibility of buidling an MSF receiver and have it act as a time server on the local lan TCP/IP. Having decoded the time I assume I have to serve it via some sort of UDP service Where can I find the details of the protocol that a time source would have to follow. Many Thanks Keith On 2007-07-31, Keith Sloan <keith@sloan-home.co.uk> wrote: > Okay I would like to look at the possibility of buidling an MSF receiver Plans for an MSF receiver, and the associated interface software, are available at http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html ...

Time server protocole?
Helli Everybodo, Where could I find a description of the Time Server protocole? I would like to synch my VMS box, which is slowly going to production land (today: WASD mirror, tomorrow: OpenOffice mirror, then...) Thanks, D. -- Read the latest VAX/VMS to Itanium Migration News English: www.didiermorandi.com/vaxvms2itanium_200310.pdf French: www.didiermorandi.com/vaxvms2itanium_200310fr.pdf didier morandi ~ sarl au capital de 8 000 euros ~ Revendeur agr�� HP Expertise en environnement DIGITAL ~ Formation ~ Programmation 5 avenue Albert Durand 31700 Blagna...

NTP Server Synchronizing with the incorrect NTP server
Problem: I configured my NTP server in Linux to use the US Pool of NTP Servers in /e= tc/ntp.conf. I restarted the NTP service many times and the actual server m= any times, but it was not using the pool. I was verifying this by using the= ntpq -p command. It was using a time server it picked up via DHCP when it = was plugged into a completely different network. I had no idea where it was= getting this information. Solution: After running strace (strace /etc/init.d/ntp restart) I was able to see it = was picking up the configuration from /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp . I delet...

NTP client syncs successfully with NTP server within local network but not with the NTP pool servers
I am using ntp 4.2.6p5 on linux. I setup an NTP server on a machine in another subnet and tried to sync my machine with the server and it works well. But when I try to use the pool.ntp.org servers (I tried 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, etc. and just pool.ntp.org servers), it does not sync. nslookup on pool.ntp.org as well as 0.pool.ntp.org gives proper DNS resolution and ping works on the IPs returned by nslookup as well. Output of iptables grepped for UDP is as follows: [Thu Feb 10 12:39:14 root@root-ubuntu:~]# iptables -L -n -v | grep udp 92 13001 ACCEPT udp -- * *...

Sow to sync system time to BIOS automatic after ntpd updated os time from remote ntp server?
Hi, all, I meet below problem on SUSE11 sp1 64bit with ntp4.2.4p6: 1. Set os date and bios date 7 minutes earlier than current date time; and wait ntpd to sync from remote ntp server to fix the time , after some minutes, both OS time and bios time fixed. 2. but when I try to test 30 minutes instead of 7minutes, only os time synced with upper level ntp server, the bios time still 30 minutes earlier than os time. hwclock can sync time to bios. Is there any option to control the "sync to bios" action? Or I need to set a cron job to run hwclock ? Thanks. -- Colin > > Is th...

Web resources about - server restriction... - comp.protocols.time.ntp

Restriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Quietly Loosens Restrictions On Cover Images For Pages
Facebook quietly lifted almost all of its restrictions on cover images for pages , keeping in place the rule that text can only occupy 20 percent ...

Facebook Enables Demographic Restrictions for Developers
... access to certain application content – or the entire application itself – from users fitting certain demographic profiles. Demographic restrictions ...

TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes ...
Get TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Restrictions - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I wonder if the person who put up these signs is happy with their life.

Kazakh media fights against new restrictions - YouTube
The government is branding media outlets that are sympathetic to opposition activists as "extremists", and hitting them with legal injunctions ...

UAE telecoms regulator issues new restrictions on BlackBerry
Under a new ruling from the UAE's telecoms regulator only businesses with 20 or more mobile subscriptions will be allowed to use high-security ...

Competition review calls for removing restrictions on taxi industry
Taxi fares could fall as the industry is opened up to greater competition, according to the national review of competition policy, released on ...

Alaska has 2 years to change IDs before air travel restrictions
The Department of Homeland Security announced a timeline for the final phase of the Real ID Act Friday, and Alaska's deadline is January 2018. ...

Delhi begins car restriction plan to tackle pollution
Indian capital kicks off odd-even 15-day trial aimed at reducing its record-high air pollution.