Connection Refused

Hi all,

I am a newbie to ssh world.
I tried to ssh to particular machine, however, the system generated
the error messsage -- connection refused. I wonder what the potential
problems that cause the connetion refusing.
I have searched though OpenSSH ML, and I could not find anything that
fix my problem.
For example, in my ssh_config file, PermitRootLogin is set to be Yes
initially.

Please help!!

Initial-N

    Nelson> Hi all, I am a newbie to ssh world.

And to networking in general; this is not an SSH-specific question.

    Nelson> I tried to ssh to particular machine, however, the system
    Nelson> generated the error messsage -- connection refused. I wonder
    Nelson> what the potential problems that cause the connetion refusing.

The simplest explanation is that you haven't started the SSH server.

More obscure problems could be that it's running by not listening on the
address you're connecting to, or that there's an intervening firewall
doing active rejections.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)
6/26/2003 8:00:06 PM
Is sshd running on the computer you are sshing into?
what about your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files?
is there a firewall on either machine blocking access to port 22?
check /var/log/messages on both machines to see what if any the errors
are.
can you ping each machine from the other machine?
can you connect to the other machine with nfs or samba?

etc

Nelson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to ssh world.
> I tried to ssh to particular machine, however, the system generated
> the error messsage -- connection refused. I wonder what the potential
> problems that cause the connetion refusing.
> I have searched though OpenSSH ML, and I could not find anything that
> fix my problem.
> For example, in my ssh_config file, PermitRootLogin is set to be Yes
> initially.
>
> Please help!!
>
> Initial-N
0