f



Putty: Release 0.54 does not work with SOCKS5 server

Hi,
First question,
  I have used putty for 3 years and I have observed
how it develops. Now it's very interesting application
for Linux users, who must use Windows on workstations.
I have got little Linux server with work services: SSH,
SOCKS5, Samba, FTP and SMTP gate. I'm interested in lately 
added last support SOCKS5 connections in putty. 
I try to run it, but putty returns me message:
"Proxy error: SOCKS password subnegotiation contained 
wrong version number." and that is all.

I checked SOCKS5 server with Total Commander
release 5.51 and it works correctly. In this one was 
implemented SOCKS5 support for FTP connections and 
it works without any problems. 

SSH clients which are installed in local Linux
system connect with it too. Parameters USER and
PASSWD are also good. I think that I checked all the possible
ways. I don't know how I can configure putty, which
doesn't connect SSH connections via SOCK5 server with
autentification.

As supplement to message I added files:
- config from socks5 server (socks5.conf);
- test passwords file from that server (passwd.conf);
- tail from systemlog file;
- screenshot from Windows, which contain putty config
window - section for proxies.

What can I do for eliminating proxy error message,
which I get ?

Second question, 
are you interested in internationalization of putty ?

Third question,
Do you think of adding to putty support X clients, eg. KDE ?

Now cygwin project does it, but it is very big application
and installation and this is very complicated for users. 

In practice simlpe X-server application will be good
in local natwork.It will be easy in configuration and easy 
in using and stable in work - as putty.


socks5.conf
-------------------------------------------------------
auth    192.168.0.5     -               u,k
auth    192.168.1.2     -               u
#####################################################################################################
#permit <auth>  <cmd>   <src-host>      <dest-host>     <src-port>      <dest-port>     [user-list]
permit 
 u       -       192.168.0.1     -               -               -               klis,root
permit  u,k     -       192.168.0.5     -               -               -               klis
permit  u       -       192.168.1.2     -               -               -               nbla

socks5.passwd
-------------------------------------------------------
klis haseko
nbla nbla



syslog
-------------------------------------------------------
Feb 18 08:44:34 linux Socks5[1513]: TCP Connection Established: Connect 
(192.168.0.5:1109 to 192.168.0.1:1054) for user klis
Feb 18 08:44:34 linux ftpd[1504]: get S?u?bowe/Sie? logiczna.pdf = 256629 
bytes
Feb 18 08:44:39 linux Socks5[1513]: TCP Connection Terminated: Normal 
(192.168.0.5:1109 to 192.168.0.1:1054) for user klis: 0 bytes out, 256629 
bytes in
Feb 18 08:44:54 linux Socks5[1503]: TCP Connection Terminated: Normal 
(192.168.0.5:1103 to 192.168.0.1:21) for user klis: 132 bytes out, 853 bytes 
in
Feb 18 08:46:00 linux named[678]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on 
local?
Feb 18 08:46:00 linux Socks5[1538]: Socks5 starting at Wed Feb 18 08:46:00 
2004 from inetd
Feb 18 08:46:01 linux Socks5[1538]: Auth Failed: (192.168.0.5:1111)
Feb 18 08:46:18 linux named[678]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on 
local?

              This is from PuTTY
                        i
                        i

Feb 18 08:46:18 linux Socks5[1541]: Socks5 starting at Wed Feb 18 08:46:18 
2004 from inetd
Feb 18 08:46:20 linux Socks5[1541]: Auth Failed: (192.168.0.5:1113)



-- 
Vy 73 de Mariusz, SQ1BVN !
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
POLAND * QTH:Debrzno JO83OM  *  QTH/2:Bydgoszcz JO93AD  *  Member of clubs:
E-mail : sq1bvn@ampr.zse.bydgoszcz.pl                       SP2KKB, SP1KVQ
AmprNet: sq1bvn@linux.sr2bby.ampr.org              http://sq1bvn.xyz.wp.pl/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0
sq1bvn (1)
2/25/2004 4:57:23 AM
comp.security.ssh 4228 articles. 0 followers. terra1024 (490) is leader. Post Follow

1 Replies
29915 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 23

Mariusz Lisowski <sq1bvn@wp.pl> writes:
>I have got little Linux server with work services: SSH, SOCKS5,
>Samba, FTP and SMTP gate. I'm interested in lately added last support
>SOCKS5 connections in putty. 
>I try to run it, but putty returns me message: "Proxy error: SOCKS
>password subnegotiation contained wrong version number." and that is
>all.

Taking the message at face value, this means that PuTTY is seeing a
version number in the subnegotiation that is not specified in RFC1929
(which specifies SOCKS5 password auth with a version number of 1). In
which case,

It's possible that PuTTY is mistaken, however. I haven't looked into
this possibility.

I'm not sure how we can distinguish these, unless you can get a
tcpdump of the relevant bit of proxy negotiation to us.

What is your SOCKS5 server?

>I checked SOCKS5 server with Total Commander release 5.51 and it
>works correctly. In this one was implemented SOCKS5 support for FTP
>connections and it works without any problems. 
>
>SSH clients which are installed in local Linux system connect with it
>too.

These clients are all using SOCKS5 with password authentication?

Are any of them things that we can look at the source for? (We'd need
to know which version.)

>Second question, 
>are you interested in internationalization of putty ?

In principle, but some design & infrastructure work has to be done
before we can accept translations.
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/i18n.html>

>Third question,
>Do you think of adding to putty support X clients, eg. KDE ?

We already support X11 forwarding. If you are asking us to implement
an X _server_, then emphatically no.

>Now cygwin project does it, but it is very big application
>and installation and this is very complicated for users. 
>
>In practice simlpe X-server application will be good
>in local natwork.It will be easy in configuration and easy 
>in using and stable in work - as putty.

Erm, X servers are big and complicated because the X protocol is big
and complicated. (IMO)
0
jacobn (252)
2/25/2004 10:29:21 AM
Reply: