SOCKS proxy, Can I specify outgoing IP address (interface)

I am using SSH with -D as a socks proxy.

It works great.

However, I would like to exercise finer control over this and specify,
what interface/IP address would be used by the remote computer when
making proxied connections.

Software wise, it is relatively easy to implement, so I hope that it
may be available.

How can I do what I want?

Ignoramus27831

Ignoramus27831  <ignoramus27831@NOSPAM.27831.invalid> wrote:
> However, I would like to exercise finer control over this and specify,
> what interface/IP address would be used by the remote computer when
> making proxied connections.

Unfortunately the SSH protocol has no means of requesting that, so you
can't do it using ssh -D, with OpenSSH or any other client software.

The best I can suggest is to find a stand-alone SOCKS proxy that you
can configure to select the right address; run that on your server;
and use ssh -L to point a single port forwarding at it.
--
Simon Tatham         "Selfless? I'm so selfless I
<anakin@pobox.com>    don't even know who I am."

0
Simon
1/27/2013 10:09:19 AM
On 2013-01-27, Simon Tatham <anakin@pobox.com> wrote:
> Ignoramus27831  <ignoramus27831@NOSPAM.27831.invalid> wrote:
>> However, I would like to exercise finer control over this and specify,
>> what interface/IP address would be used by the remote computer when
>> making proxied connections.
>
> Unfortunately the SSH protocol has no means of requesting that, so you
> can't do it using ssh -D, with OpenSSH or any other client software.
>
> The best I can suggest is to find a stand-alone SOCKS proxy that you
> can configure to select the right address; run that on your server;
> and use ssh -L to point a single port forwarding at it.

Yes, that could work. It is also a good idea compared to
alternatives. Thanks.

I saw some solutions online involving iptables. I am extremely
reluctant to even consider this, as I believe it to be dangerous to be
messing with iptables on remote servers.

So, the bottom line is that I like your idea a lot.

That said, do you have a recommendation for a easy to use socks proxy
where you can specify outgoing IP address?

Ignoramus17320