f



xclock fail with "Error: Can't open display" on "ssh -X"

I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer
from a FC6 linux computer.
I can run
xclock or xterm
on the RHEL4 linux computer.
However, running
xclock or xterm
on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors:
bash-3.2# xclock
Error: Can't open display:
Error: Couldn't find per display information

bash-3.2# xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

bash-3.2# sshd -version
sshd: illegal option -- v
OpenSSH_4.5p1+sftpfilecontrol-v1.1-hpn12v14, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep
2006
HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.50.021, HP-UX Secure Shell version

Using "ssh -Y" to login to the RHEL4 and HPUX computer get the same
result.

Please help so that I can run xclock or xterm on the HPUX computer.
0
1/6/2009 1:34:57 AM
comp.security.ssh 4228 articles. 0 followers. terra1024 (490) is leader. Post Follow

5 Replies
1119 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800 (PST), TsanChung wrote:
> I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer
> from a FC6 linux computer.
> I can run
> xclock or xterm
> on the RHEL4 linux computer.
> However, running
> xclock or xterm
> on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors:

might try 
    xhost +localhost
    ssh RHEL4.ip.here

You may want to verify your hupx login script(s) does not hard code $DISPLAY

0
BitTwister2 (1376)
1/6/2009 2:01:10 AM
On Jan 5, 9:01=A0pm, Bit Twister <BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800 (PST), TsanChung wrote:
> > I can ssh -X to a RHEL4 linux and a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer
> > from a FC6 linux computer.
> > I can run
> > xclock or xterm
> > on the RHEL4 linux computer.
> > However, running
> > xclock or xterm
> > on the HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer has these errors:
>
> might try
> =A0 =A0 xhost +localhost
> =A0 =A0 ssh RHEL4.ip.here
>
> You may want to verify your hupx login script(s) does not hard code $DISP=
LAY

I try on the FC6 linux computer
xhost +localhost

I do
bash-3.2# ps -ef |grep sshd
   root 20369     1  0 09:51:35 ?         0:00 /opt/ssh/sbin/sshd
....

Then
bash-3.2# kill -HUP 20369
to restart sshd

I ssh to the hpux computer but still get the same error.
0
1/6/2009 2:58:10 PM
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800, TsanChung wrote:

> Error: Can't open display:

Try:

	echo $DISPLAY

It appears as if the server has X forwarding disabled (since you 
explicitly requested X forwarding of the client), but this echo would 
help determine if this was so.

	- Andrew
0
c182driver1 (154)
1/6/2009 6:18:39 PM
On Jan 6, 1:18=A0pm, Andrew Gideon <c182driv...@gideon.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:34:57 -0800, TsanChung wrote:
> > Error: Can't open display:
>
> Try:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 echo $DISPLAY
>
> It appears as if the server has X forwarding disabled (since you
> explicitly requested X forwarding of the client), but this echo would
> help determine if this was so.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - Andrew

# echo $DISPLAY
sh: DISPLAY: Parameter not set.
# export DISPLAY=3Dlocalhost:10.0
# xclock
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).
0
1/8/2009 10:12:36 PM
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:12:36 -0800, TsanChung wrote:

> # echo $DISPLAY
> sh: DISPLAY: Parameter not set.

Right.  Something is preventing the forwarding.  Best guess: server 
configuration.

> # export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

That won't work if SSH isn't already listening for the packets to forward.

> # xclock
> X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> shutdown).

	- Andrew

0
c182driver1 (154)
1/10/2009 2:34:21 AM
Reply: