problem with running mathematica with & sign from command line

Hi All,

I am trying to run a notebook that I have created from command line with & sign at the end, and ran into a problem with mathematica quitting the program immediately. I am running mathematica on my Mac.

I have no problem when running from the command line with the following statement without the "&" sign:

/Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel -noprompt -initfile test.m

where "test.m" is a script that contains the notebook that I have created.

However, mathematica is automatically stop executing when I run from the command line with the following statement with the "&" sign. I basically want mathematica to run in the background, hence, the "&" sign is at the end. I don't quite understand why mathematica stop executing when the "&" sign is there. Could anyone please explain? Many thanks!