Make your own MATLAB toolbox

Hi there,

I have a lot of MATLAB functions and I would like to let other use them. They must be able to read the documentation to each function via the help browser if possible. How must be documentation be written (MATLAB comments or html) and where to place the files them? Can the toolbox be "permanently installed" in the help browser? Thanks

"Rasmus" <prof.rasmusolesen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have a lot of MATLAB functions and I would like to let other use them.
> They must be able to read the documentation to each function via the help
> browser if possible. How must be documentation be written (MATLAB comments
> or html) and where to place the files them? Can the toolbox be
> "permanently installed" in the help browser? Thanks

If you're using the most recent version of MATLAB, there are instructions in
the documentation:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_env/f4-49752.html

If you're using an older version, look in the documentation included in your
installation to check if there's a corresponding instance of that page with
instructions for that version.  I'm not certain exactly when those
instructions were first included in the documentation.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
slord (13689)
1/15/2010 5:53:30 PM
I've had a look at the documentation and it works well, but when I try to add my toolbox to the global path list with

>> path 'fullpath'

MATLAB writes

>> ??? Undefined function or method 'path' for input arguments of type 'char'.

and then I'm unable to run even a plot command without the error of an undefined function. I try to with the current path, by typing path, and the message is

>> ??? The path may be bad.  Please save your work (if desired), and quit.

But the problem is, that I cannot reset the path, since no functions are available. I need to restart. Can you provide a solutions to this problem?
Rasmus wrote:
> I've had a look at the documentation and it works well, but when I try
> to add my toolbox to the global path list with
>
>>> path 'fullpath'
>
> MATLAB writes
>
>>> ??? Undefined function or method 'path' for input arguments of type
>>> 'char'.
>
> and then I'm unable to run even a plot command without the error of an
> undefined function. I try to with the current path, by typing path, and
> the message is
>
>>> ??? The path may be bad.  Please save your work (if desired), and quit.
>
> But the problem is, that I cannot reset the path, since no functions are
> available. I need to restart. Can you provide a solutions to this problem?

Surely...don't do that... :)

doc path

will describe the use of the command.  You set the path to the string
'fullpath' instead of using the variable (I presume) fullpath that
(again a presumption) that holds the path you wish to add.

As the doc notes, you'll want something like

path(path,fullpath);

to append the path in the variable fullpath to the existing path.

none1568 (7453)
1/15/2010 8:43:10 PM
Of course. Thanks for the replies :D
By the way, is there a way to permanently add paths to the path list? They are gone, after a restart of MATLAB.
Rasmus wrote:
> By the way, is there a way to permanently add paths to the path list?
> They are gone, after a restart of MATLAB.

doc startup

none1568 (7453)
1/15/2010 10:57:56 PM
Have tried to write a startup.m file, but it must be placed in the local folder in the MATLAB directory, but it is kind of write protected by MATLAB.
On Jan 15, 3:03=A0pm, "Rasmus" <prof.rasmusole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have tried to write a startup.m file, but it must be placed in the local =
folder in the MATLAB directory, but it is kind of write protected by MATLAB=
..

how about
doc addpath
doc savepath
doc pathtool

-Nathan
0
ngreco32 (530)
1/15/2010 11:07:29 PM
Rasmus wrote:
> Have tried to write a startup.m file, but it must be placed in the local
> folder in the MATLAB directory, but it is kind of write protected by
> MATLAB.

No idea what "kind of write protected" means; see the section "Startup
Options" which addresses where to put startup.m for Windows or Linux
platforms.

none1568 (7453)

Recent soft computing papers and MATLAB Toolboxes
Dear Colleagues, I would like to call your kind attention to the updated website of the Soft Computing Research Group at the University of Veszprem (Hungary) http://www.fmt.vein.hu/softcomp/ You can download MATLAB Toolboxes: - Fuzzy Clustering MATLAB Toolbox - Genetic Programming MATLAB Toolbox - Interactive Evolutionary Strategy (EASy) MATLAB Toolbox - Constrained Fuzzy Model Identification for the FMID Toolbox independent MATLAB programs related to: - Data mining * Fuzzy clustering based time-series segmentation * Supervised Fuzzy Clustering for the Identification of Fuzzy Classifiers * Fuzzy Modeling with Multidimensional Membership Functions: Grey-Box Identification and Control Design * Compact TS-Fuzzy Models through Clustering and OLS plus FIS Model Reduction * Inconsistency Analysis of Labeled Data * Star plots - MATLAB files for Graphical Representation of trace elements of clinkers - Process control and monitoring * Feedback Linearizing Control Using Hybrid Neural Networks Identified by Sensitivity Approach * Incorporating Prior Knowledge in Cubic Spline Approximation - Application to the Identification of Reaction Kinetic Models * Identification and Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Fuzzy Hammerstein Models - A Simple Fuzzy Classifier based on manuscripts in PDF about - fuzzy model based process control and monitoring - fuzzy clustering and classification - incorpor...

Recent soft computing papers and MATLAB Toolboxes
Dear Colleagues, I would like to call your kind attention to the updated website of the Soft Computing Research Group at the University of Veszprem (Hungary) http://www.fmt.vein.hu/softcomp/ You can download MATLAB Toolboxes: - Fuzzy Clustering MATLAB Toolbox - Genetic Programming MATLAB Toolbox - Interactive Evolutionary Strategy (EASy) MATLAB Toolbox - Constrained Fuzzy Model Identification for the FMID Toolbox independent MATLAB programs related to: - Data mining * Fuzzy clustering based time-series segmentation * Supervised Fuzzy Clustering for the Identification of Fuzzy Classifiers * Fuzzy Modeling with Multidimensional Membership Functions: Grey-Box Identification and Control Design * Compact TS-Fuzzy Models through Clustering and OLS plus FIS Model Reduction * Inconsistency Analysis of Labeled Data * Star plots - MATLAB files for Graphical Representation of trace elements of clinkers - Process control and monitoring * Feedback Linearizing Control Using Hybrid Neural Networks Identified by Sensitivity Approach * Incorporating Prior Knowledge in Cubic Spline Approximation - Application to the Identification of Reaction Kinetic Models * Identification and Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Fuzzy Hammerstein Models - A Simple Fuzzy Classifier based on manuscripts in PDF about - fuzzy model based process control and monitoring - fuzzy clustering and classification - incorporation of a priori knowledge in the identif...

Matlab engine with matlab R2010b

Spawning matlab from within matlab
Hello all, I would like to spawn multiple matlab processes from an '.m' script. Meaning, run an m-file from a 'parent' Matlab that launches, say, 8 more 'children' matlab processes. I'd like to do it in such a way that the same m-file in the 'parent' is able to close down, or kill, all the 'children' processes. Any suggestions? Joe ...

slow optimization using nonlcon with GA within matlab toolbox and mixed integer problem using GA within Matlab
greeting all, i'm using nonlcon(nonlinear inequality constraint) with GA from the toolbox provided by matlab. does anyone notice the extreme slowlness in evaluating nonlinear constraint as compared to other linear constraint? my problem for nonlinear constraint is as follow c(1)=x+y^2-2*ones(N,1) where x and y are Nx1 vector. which means if N increases, the size of constraint increases. and to clarify, the min problem is sometime like min c'z where z=[x;y], which means x and y are some range of variable within z(just a matter of problem formulation) well, is there anyone with other alternative or is it possible or method in including non-linear constraint directly to fitness function? (well, actually nonlcon deals nonlinear constraint by using Augmented Lagrangian Pattern Search from what i see from the help file, or am i wrong?) and one more question, is there anyone that attempt to attempt to apply mixed integer problem into the GA in matlab? For now, i can only switch before pure integer or pure real number problem, but not mixed at the moment. I will be trying to add in some repair operator to fix up the variable that needs to be integer and other remaining in real number. I'm not sure why you are using ga to solve your problem. Did you find fmincon unsatisfactory in any way? Alan Weiss MATLAB mathematical toolbox documentation On 5/10/2011 11:53 PM, terry wrote: > greeting all, > > i'm using nonlcon(nonlinear inequality constraint)...

embedded matlab function MATLAB R2009a
I downloaded the MS visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and the SDK as detailed in http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-6IJJ3L/?solution=1-6IJJ3L My embedded function didnt work at the beginning because I did "mex -setup" before I installed my SDK. But after I installed the SDK, I ran "mex -setup" in Matlab once again and choose the MS visual C++2008 as my compiler. Then, my embedded matlab function worked. Thanks to the contribution from above! ...

Why does Matlab do this
What is happening when I type rand(1:10) at the command line? Matlab goes into a 10 minute spin - what's going on? Thanks "Robert" wrote in message <j64asi$5v4$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > What is happening when I type > rand(1:10) > at the command line? > > Matlab goes into a 10 minute spin - what's going on? > Thanks Hi Robert, You're create a 10-D array with that syntax. Do you just want a vector of 10 uniformly distributed random numbers. x = rand(10,1); % or x = rand(1,10); Wayne Hi Wayne, You're right - that's what I was trying to do... but I was just newbie mucking about trying to work out the syntax and I typed that in - then had a looong wait for Matlab to work through it! Thanks for the explanation. Robert "Robert" wrote in message <j64d2h$dvo$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi Wayne, > You're right - that's what I was trying to do... but I was just newbie mucking about trying to work out the syntax and I typed that in - then had a looong wait for Matlab to work through it! > Thanks for the explanation. > Robert That's fine. Welcome to MATLAB!!! If that's the worst memory-intensive mistake you ever make, you'll be fine :) I've done much, much worse. Wayne ...

creating GUI in matlab out of some programs written in matlab
I have written some code in matlab for my application. I want to make a graphical interface so that an user can easily use my code. I do not know, how to link my code or a particular function when user clicks on a particular button. I mean, how to assign a function written by me to a push button so that it will execute the function. And how to give the input to my function and get output after executing the particular function. I am quiet familiar with matlab code. But I am absolutely new with GUI in matlab. Please help me to deal with the above problem. On 4/12/2011 12:37 AM, sk maidul haque wrote: > I have written some code in matlab for my application. > I want to make a graphical interface so that an user can easily use my code. > I do not know, how to link my code or a particular function > when user clicks on a particular button. I mean, how to assign a > function written by me to a push button so that it will execute the function. > And how to give the input to my function and get output after > executing the particular function. > I am quiet familiar with matlab code. But I am absolutely new with > GUI in matlab. Please help me to deal with the above problem. Use GUIDE to make the gui. It is very simple and powerful to use. I use it all the time for my school projects and HW's. I know some prefer to code the thing by hand, but I prefer GUIDE. When you add a button in GUIDE, it will create a callback stub for you automatically...

how to do this in matlab
Number of column: 5 Vector A: [ 2 4 6 7 8 ] Vector B : [ 5 7 8 10 1] Choice = 1 : Find the highest value Vector A : 8 Vector B: 10 The highest value : 10 Choice = 2 : Find the lowest value Vector A : 2 Vector B: 1 The highest value : 1 Choice = 3 : Find the average value of : Vector A Vector B "Syamil " <syamilsaid@gmail.com> wrote in message <inq3g8$hhd$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Number of column: 5 > Vector A: [ 2 4 6 7 8 ] > Vector B : [ 5 7 8 10 1] > > Choice = 1 : Find the highest value > Vector A : 8 > Vector B: 10 > The highest value : 10 > > Choice = 2 : Find the lowest value > Vector A : 2 > Vector B: 1 > The highest value : 1 > > Choice = 3 : Find the average value of : > Vector A > Vector B Type in matlab: doc min doc max doc mean ...

Matlab 2011: matlab coder (build failed)
When I create a MATLAB Coder Project and try to convert this function: ------------------------- function y = myResampler(x,m,n) %#codegen fsVec = [8000 16000 32000 48000]; targetFsVec = [8000 16000 32000 48000]; fs = fsVec(m); targetFs = targetFsVec(n); y = resample(x,targetFs,fs); ------------------------- to C-code I get a build error saying: coder -build resamplerproj.prj ??? The upsample factor P must be constant. Error in ==> myResampler Line: 12 Column: 5 Code generation failed: Open error report. But I want to be able to resample x using a variable P/Q ratio. Is this just a limitation of Matlab Coder or am I doing something wrong?? John wrote: > When I create a MATLAB Coder Project and try to convert this function: > > ------------------------- > function y = myResampler(x,m,n) %#codegen > > fsVec = [8000 16000 32000 48000]; > targetFsVec = [8000 16000 32000 48000]; > > fs = fsVec(m); > targetFs = targetFsVec(n); > > y = resample(x,targetFs,fs); > ------------------------- > > to C-code I get a build error saying: > > coder -build resamplerproj.prj ??? The upsample factor P must be > constant. Error in ==> myResampler Line: 12 Column: 5 Code generation > failed: Open error report. > > > > But I want to be able to resample x using a variable P/Q ratio. > > Is this just a limitation of Matlab Coder or am I doing something wrong?? Apparently it's a limitation of RESAMPLE ...

IGES TO Matlab toolbox
Hi, I have an IGES file from which is need to extract entity type 128. Using the IGES to Matlab toolbox, the ParameterData is obtained very easily. But i would like to extract the coefficients and the knot vectors for the entity type 128. Any hint is greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Lmi matlab toolbox.
A=[-1 -2 1; 3 2 1; 1 -2 -1;]; B=[1 0 1]' E1=[-1 -2 1; 1 3 2; 2 -2 -1;]; E2=[0 0 1]'; D=[0 0 1]'; setlmis([]) Q=lmivar(1,[3 1])%3x3 symmetric matrix Y= lmivar(2,[1 3])%1x3 matrix % 1st LMI lmiterm([1 1 1 Q],1,A,'s')%A*Q+Q*A' lmiterm([1 1 1 Y],-1,B,'s')%_B*Y-(B*Y)' lmiterm([1 1 1 0],D*D')%D*D' lmiterm([1 2 1 Q],1,E1)%E1*Q lmiterm([1 2 1 Y],-1,E2)%-E2*Y lmiterm([1 2 2 0],-1)%-gamma^2*I<-----how to put gamma also. % 2nd LMI lmiterm([-2 1 1 Q],1,1)%Q>0<-------? LMISYS = getlmis gamma1=mat2dec(LMISYS,Q,Y) options = [1e-5,0,0,0,0]; [gamma1opt,qopt]=mincx(LMISYS,gamma1,options) [gamma1opt,yopt]=mincx(LMISYS,gamma1,options) Qopt = dec2mat(LMISYS,qopt,Q) Yopt = dec2mat(LMISYS,yopt,Y) I have to minimize gamma, and to find matrices Q and Y. I am getting errors. I do not if the code is correct. The matrix inequality is: M=[A*Q+Q*A'-B*Y-Y'*B'+D*D' (E1*Q-E2*Y)'; E1*Q-E2*Y -gamma^2*eye(3);] Thanks In advance. Same answer here as on your YALMIP question. "tho" wrote in message <iuj0kg$sln$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > A=[-1 -2 1; 3 2 1; 1 -2 -1;]; > B=[1 0 1]' > E1=[-1 -2 1; 1 3 2; 2 -2 -1;]; > E2=[0 0 1]'; > D=[0 0 1]'; > setlmis([]) > Q=lmivar(1,[3 1])%3x3 symmetric matrix > Y= lmivar(2,[1 3])%1x3 matrix > > % 1st LMI > lmiterm([1 1 1 Q],1,A,'s')%A*Q+Q*A' > lmiterm([1 1 1 Y],-1,B,'s')%_B*Y-(B*Y)' > lmiterm([1 1...

Matlab Toolboxes used
After code has been written, Is there a way to check which toolboxes have been used? I receive p-code to run on my system from academics who have access to all toolboxes. Thank-you ...

code of matlab 7a not working in matlab 2009
I wrote a code in matlab 7a andand it was working over there then i changed computer which was having matlab realease 2009a and it is not working If i install Matlab 7 release 14, will my code work again thanks "moonman" wrote in message <ipmsl7$23v$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I wrote a code in matlab 7a andand it was working over there > then i changed computer which was having matlab realease 2009a and it is not working > > If i install Matlab 7 release 14, will my code work again thanks Can you be more specific about the fact that your code is not working in 2009a but worked in 2007a? It would be helpful if you could narrow down what is not working in 2009a and provide error messages. Wayne ok thanks wyne i will send error message after some hours ...

Maple Matlab toolbox
I have Matlab 2010a(64bit) and Maple 15(think 64bit, not sure). When I setup the matlab toolbox, it installs the 32 bit toolbox with maplemex.mex32 file. When I run the code, matlab searches for maplemex.mex64 bit file. Any idea how I can remedy this? I have Visual C++ 2008 Sp1 compiler setup on matlab. Thanks in advance. ...

MatLab Error Of This program has been modified outside MatLab editor
Hi, I am running a MatLab program I've run many times before, and now when I try to run it, I get a message saying : "This program has been modified outside of the MatLab editor. Do you want to reload it?" I've moved the program to a new directory, but I've run MatLab progs from that directory before, so I am perplexed. Can anyone tell me what to do? TIA, Matt In article <972bbd06-3687-4253-9aa0-a08acf91d117@z38g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, junoexpress <MTBrenneman@gmail.com> wrote: >I am running a MatLab program I've run many times before, and now when >I try to run it, I get a message saying : >"This program has been modified outside of the MatLab editor. Do you >want to reload it?" >I've moved the program to a new directory, but I've run MatLab progs >from that directory before, so I am perplexed. >Can anyone tell me what to do? Use Save As to save the current version under a different name. Then allow Matlab to reload the file. Save that, and then compare the two saved versions to determine what the differences are, and create an appropriately merged version. -- "There is nothing so bad but it can masquerade as moral." -- Walter Lippmann junoexpress <MTBrenneman@gmail.com> wrote in message <972bbd06-3687-4253-9aa0- a08acf91d117@z38g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>... > Hi, >...

Matlab automation server and Matlab Compiler Run Time
I did a simple excel macro which runs matlab functions sucessfully in a machine with Matlab installed. Now I want to run it in a computer without matlab, with "MATLAB Compiler Run Time" installed. I can add the Matlb automation server type file (mlapp.tlb) sucessfully, but when I try to run it, I get this error: "ActiveX component can't create object" In this line: Set matlab = New MLApp.MLApp Do you know what is missing? Thanks ...

Need help for a matlab mini project

Make a matlab code faster
Hi All, I make the following code: [a, b] = size(tf); cal_num = 0; indx = 0; for i=1:1:a if tf(i,1)==1 && tf(i,2) ==1 && tf(i,3)==1 indx = indx +1; cal_num(indx)=i; end end It works well, but it is very slow. Do you have another option instead of using a loop process ? Thanks for help. Edward On Jul 24, 3:21=A0pm, "edward kabanyas" <djuky_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I make the following code: > > [a, b] =3D size(tf); > cal_num =3D 0; > indx =3D 0; > for i=3D1:1:a > > =A0 =A0 if tf(i,1)=3D=3D1 && tf(i,2) =3D=3D1 && tf(i,3)=3D=3D1 > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 indx =3D indx +1; > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 cal_num(indx)=3Di; > =A0 =A0 =A0end > > end > > It works well, but it is very slow. Do you have another option instead of= using a loop process ? > > Thanks for help. > > Edward Instead of looping through each row, you can do it for all the rows using find: cal_num=3Dfind(tf=3D=3Dones(a,b)); "edward kabanyas" <djuky_hmi@yahoo.com> wrote in message <j0g334$e5m$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > [a, b] = size(tf); > cal_num = 0; > indx = 0; > for i=1:1:a > if tf(i,1)==1 && tf(i,2) ==1 && tf(i,3)==1 > indx = indx +1; > cal_num(indx)=i; > end > end > > It works well, but it is v...

vlfeat toolbox problem in matlab
when i try to run computeFeatures function give me this error [keypoints,descriptors] = computeFeatures(imdata) ??? Attempt to execute SCRIPT vl_imsmooth as a function: C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\work\practical-image-classification\vlfeat\toolbox\imop\vl_imsmooth.m Error in ==> vl_phow at 136 ims = vl_imsmooth(im, sigma) ; Error in ==> computeFeatures at 14 [keypoints, descriptors] = vl_phow(im, 'step', 4, 'floatdescriptors', true) ; "amira ali" wrote in message <jbmqhk$2op$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > when i try to run computeFeatures function give me this error > > > [keypoints,descriptors] = computeFeatures(imdata) > ??? Attempt to execute SCRIPT vl_imsmooth as a function: > C:\Program > Files\MATLAB\R2011a\work\practical-image-classification\vlfeat\toolbox\imop\vl_imsmooth.m > > Error in ==> vl_phow at 136 > ims = vl_imsmooth(im, sigma) ; > > Error in ==> computeFeatures at 14 > [keypoints, descriptors] = vl_phow(im, 'step', 4, 'floatdescriptors', true) ; can anyone help me urgently? "amira ali" <amiraali2005@gmail.com> wrote in message news:jbn278$nsb$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > "amira ali" wrote in message <jbmqhk$2op$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... >> when i try to run computeFeatures function give me this error >> >> >> [keypoints,descriptors] = computeFeatures(imdata...

Matlab student license for MDSD (e.g. Matlab Coder)
Hello, I'm evaluating products for writing my final university thesis. I want to perform image processing algorithms (C-Code compiled for a DSP). I have the feeling that manual programming of this algorithms is no longer state of the art. Instead MDSD (model driven software development) - that means Code Generation - seems to be smarter to me. Unfortunately Mathworks offers no licenses of Matlab Coder (or Simulink Coder etc.) to individual students. And I cannot afford to buy a commercial license (which probably would cost me more than 5.000 EUR/$ / my absolute limit is 1.000 EUR/$). Is there any possibility for me to use MDSD (code generation) for image processing for my university thesis ? Maybe by using cheaper alternatives ? Or by using 3d party software (like target link) ? Or export/import to another product ? Any idea ? (I want to avoid manual coding - like using OpenCV) By the way, does anyone know, why Mathworks hides the MDSD features from students ? It doesn't make sense to me that Mathworks reduces the amount of engineers available on the job market that are capable of handling (serious) Matlab projects. (Microsoft offers the "Visual Studio Express Edition" for free for education and the amount of people on the job market that are experienced in Visual Studio is tremendous.). Thank you, Roelof ...

Web resources about - Make your own MATLAB toolbox - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Toolbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A toolbox (also called toolkit , tool chest or workbox ) is a box to organize, carry, and protect the owner's tools . They could be used for ...

Apple Toolbox (@appletoolbox) on Twitter

Advanced Lean Toolbox
Otimizar, Disponibilizar e difundir a metodologia do Lean (Sistema de Melhoria continua) .

Mac App Store - Toolbox for Keynote
Get Toolbox for Keynote on the Mac App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mini Toolbox / Packed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Alexander Becker's photos on Flickr. Alexander Becker has uploaded 503 photos to Flickr.

UC ERM Toolbox March 2014 - An Incomplete History of Risk Financing - YouTube
Have you ever wondered why the University has to travel to London or Bermuda to arrange insurance coverage? Why go to Lloyd's of London, anyway? ...

Westpac adds augmented reality to online banking toolbox
Westpac has tapped a UK rocket scientist for an augmented reality smartphone app it hopes will put customers in control of their credit card ...

Man found in latest toolbox murder twist
POLICE investigating the bodies-in-a-box double murder south of Brisbane have located a man who they believe has information vital to the case. ...

Replica gun found in Roy Hill mine worker's toolbox
A replica handgun was found in an employee's toolbox at Hancock Prospecting’s Roy Hill Mine in the Pilbara.

Thief scales crane to steal from toolbox
Police are searching for a man who recklessly climbed a seven-storey crane at a construction site to steal from a tool box.