matlab startup.m on server

I am running some matlab code through my schools server through an SSH client.
As such I use qsub mycode.qsub to submit this job.

I set the cwd to home/username/example (where my qsub, mymatlabscript.m & a startup.m file are)

mycode.qsub looks like this:
#!/bin/bash
#
#  - A simple job script
#
#$ -cwd
#$ -S /bin/bash
#$ -o test.out
#$ -e test.err
module load matlab
matlab -nodisplay -nojvm -nodesktop -nosplash < mymatlabscript.m

The job submits to the queue successfully and I get .out & .err files but my matlab outputs don't appear.

I get the error ModuleCmd_Load.c(208):ERROR:105: Unable to locate a modulefile for 'matlab'  /opt/gridengine/default/spool/compute-0-0/job_scripts/66714: line 10: mymatlabscript.m
: No such file or directory

This same script works perfectly fine ran on through the ssh terminal but fails when ran through qsub on the server

I believe there is a problem with finding matlab (as it is not in my home directory) or once matlab loads it can't find startup.m because startup.m is on the filepath that startup.m directs matlab to, rather than in the same location as matlab on the server.

Can anyone help? I have been going back and forwards with my schools IT department for 6 weeks and neither of us can figure out why it isn't running.
0
Lyndsey