problems with montage function for displaying binary images

Hi,
I have a series of binary images = bwVol (They are simulated )

size(bwVol)= MxNxP
Type = Double
M x N - dimension of each image
P - indicates time points

I want to display multiple images in same frame and looked at montage
function.

So I did the following

bwWolRes = reshape(bwVol,MxNx1xP)
montage(bwWolRes)

This does display the images but there seems to be no "space" between
consecutive images. In other words I cannot discern where one image
ends and other starts.

Plesae let me know what I am doing wrong.

I am aware of subplot and subimage however montage seems to be much
more convenient.