Publishing Latex using publish.m

Hello all,

I am trying to publish some math and m-code using MATLAB's "publish.m" function. It seems that the latex interpreter is having serious and frequent (though inconsistent) problems. Are there any particular settings that I must configure before MATLAB will allow proper interpreting of my TeX and latex strings?

As an example of the problem, I can write this short script:

%% Title of doc
% Some text. Now I'll make a table:
%
% <latex>
% \begin{tabular}{|c|c|} \hline
% $n$ & $n!$ \\ \hline
% 1 & 1 \\
% 2 & 2 \\
% 3 & 6 \\ \hline
% \end{tabular}
% </latex>

and attempt to publish it by calling: publish(<filename>). This publishes *just* the first two lines and ignores all of the latex markup that follows. No errors or warnings are given.

Next, I write a different file:

% The polynomial must pass through the ordered pairs: $(\pi/4}, \sqrt{2}/2)$
% $(3\pi/4, \sqrt{2}/2)$, $(5\pi/4, -\sqrt{2}/2)$ and $7\pi/4, -\sqrt{2}/2)$.

and publish it the same way. I get an even more perplexing result: The first TeX string is not interpreted, but then the next three ARE! I'm also offered a warning this time:

Warning: Unable to interpret TeX string
> In /Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/toolbox/matlab/graphics/hardcopy.p>hardcopy at 21
  In publish>renderTex at 825
  In publish>createEquationImages at 732
  In publish at 146

Any help is appreciated,

- Chad
0
Chad

"Chad Gilbert" <chad.gilbert@dal.ca> wrote in message <i77sic$8gm$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to publish some math and m-code using MATLAB's "publish.m" function. It seems that the latex interpreter is having serious and frequent (though inconsistent) problems. Are there any particular settings that I must configure before MATLAB will allow proper interpreting of my TeX and latex strings?
>
> As an example of the problem, I can write this short script:
>
> %% Title of doc
> % Some text. Now I'll make a table:
> %
> % <latex>
> % \begin{tabular}{|c|c|} \hline
> % $n$ & $n!$ \\ \hline
> % 1 & 1 \\
> % 2 & 2 \\
> % 3 & 6 \\ \hline
> % \end{tabular}
> % </latex>
>
> and attempt to publish it by calling: publish(<filename>). This publishes *just* the first two lines and ignores all of the latex markup that follows. No errors or warnings are given.
>
> Next, I write a different file:
>
> % The polynomial must pass through the ordered pairs: $(\pi/4}, \sqrt{2}/2)$
> % $(3\pi/4, \sqrt{2}/2)$, $(5\pi/4, -\sqrt{2}/2)$ and $7\pi/4, -\sqrt{2}/2)$.
>
> and publish it the same way. I get an even more perplexing result: The first TeX string is not interpreted, but then the next three ARE! I'm also offered a warning this time:
>
> Warning: Unable to interpret TeX string
> > In /Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/toolbox/matlab/graphics/hardcopy.p>hardcopy at 21
>   In publish>renderTex at 825
>   In publish>createEquationImages at 732
>   In publish at 146
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> - Chad

I've just noticed the syntax error in the second TeX issue here. So it looks like I'm only having issues with the latex interpreter, and not the TeX interpreter. Please disregard the second issue above.
0
Chad
9/20/2010 3:28:05 PM
"Chad Gilbert" <chad.gilbert@dal.ca> wrote in message <i77sic$8gm$1@fred.mathworks.com>...

> This publishes *just* the first two lines and ignores all of the latex markup that follows. No errors or warnings are given.
=====

You can't publish LaTeX markup in HTML format. You have to publish it in LaTeX format. Edit the configuration settings to change the output format to LaTeX.
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
9/20/2010 3:42:05 PM
"Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> wrote in message <i77vcd$d33$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Chad Gilbert" <chad.gilbert@dal.ca> wrote in message <i77sic$8gm$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
>
> > This publishes *just* the first two lines and ignores all of the latex markup that follows. No errors or warnings are given.
> =====
>
> You can't publish LaTeX markup in HTML format. You have to publish it in LaTeX format. Edit the configuration settings to change the output format to LaTeX.

Thanks Matt.
"Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> wrote in message <i77vcd$d33$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Chad Gilbert" <chad.gilbert@dal.ca> wrote in message <i77sic$8gm$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
>
> > This publishes *just* the first two lines and ignores all of the latex markup that follows. No errors or warnings are given.
> =====
>
> You can't publish LaTeX markup in HTML format. You have to publish it in LaTeX format. Edit the configuration settings to change the output format to LaTeX.
====

I agree that this is unfortunate, however...
0
mattjacREMOVE (3196)
9/20/2010 4:16:08 PM
"Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> wrote in message <i781c8$p15$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Matt J " <mattjacREMOVE@THISieee.spam> wrote in message <i77vcd$d33$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > "Chad Gilbert" <chad.gilbert@dal.ca> wrote in message <i77sic$8gm$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> >
> > > This publishes *just* the first two lines and ignores all of the latex markup that follows. No errors or warnings are given.
> > =====
> >
> > You can't publish LaTeX markup in HTML format. You have to publish it in LaTeX format. Edit the configuration settings to change the output format to LaTeX.
> ====
>
> I agree that this is unfortunate, however...

Most certainly. My life would be easier, given that particular functionality!

Journals and Publishers which use LaTeX
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if the is a known list of refereed journals in the sciences which publish articles that accept LaTeX submissions. Or perhaps a list of publishers is a better question? Just something I was hoping to talk about in a presentation on the usefulness of LaTeX in my department at school. If none exists that people know of off-hand, don't worry... Cheers, t. Tyler wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I was wondering if the is a known list of refereed journals in the > sciences which publish articles that accept LaTeX submissions. Or > perhaps a list of publishers is a better question? Just something I > was hoping to talk about in a presentation on the usefulness of LaTeX > in my department at school. If none exists that people know of > off-hand, don't worry... > > Cheers, > > t. well more or less every journal in mathematics and physics ;-) elsevier is a big player (owns a lot of journals) http://www.sciencedirect.com/ http://www.aps.org/ and http://www.ams.org So maybe a better question is in which parts of science does there exist publishers that accept LaTeX based submissions. -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE for email) Op Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:22:22 -0800, schreef Tyler de volgende woorden: > Hi Everyone, > > I was wondering if the is a known list of refereed journals in the > sciences which publish articles that accept LaTeX submissions. Or > perhaps a list of publishers is ...

[Q] Increase fontsize in Latex in Matlab Publishing?
Hi everyone, I just started to use Matlab Publishing? I would like to type simple equation such as % $$\vec{s} = a_1 \cdot \vec{b_1} This works well. But I would like to increase the font size of the equation since the equation looks small compared with the rest of the HTML file. I can try the following but it makes no difference to the size, % $$\fontsize{200}{200}\vec{s} = a_1 \cdot \vec{b_1} Also I would like to add either tab or spaces in front of the equation so that it does not start at column 1. Thanks. Because $$ here puts you into math mode in LaTeX, the normal TeX formatting c...

misaligned Latex output from Publish in Matlab editor
Is there a known fix to the problem of misaligned inline math in the PUBLISH output from Matlab editor? When I publish this from the editor, (click PUBLISH) %% % this is $\sin(x)$ while this is $\cos(x)$ I see clearly in the generated HTML page that the math part is not aligned on the same level as the text around them. Using Matlab 2013a on windows. I wonder if there is a trick to correct this? --Nasser ...

Published m-files and Matlab File Exchange
Hi, I have a problem with controlling Published m-files while submitting to Matlab File Exchange. According to <http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/codepad.jsp>: To submit a Published M-file, include the HTML folder generated by MATLAB in your zip directory. Your HTML documents will be automatically linked from the Published M-files section of your file page. Try it!". I did tried it and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Lately I updated 2 of my libraries: "PhotonAttenuation 2" and "xml_io_tools" both have zip files with Matlab gener...

Thanks (RE: Journals & publishers who use LaTeX)
Thanks for the replies everyone. For what its worth, I am in an Earth Sciences department and it's split between Geophysics and Geology graduate students. A number of the latter group have asked me to help them get started with LaTeX which I have no problem doing...butu one guy asked me, "Does Geochemica accept journal submissions?", thus the posting I made earlier. Not everyone in my department has a need for intense mathematical typesetting, and it seems some of their "major" journals only accept Word/Wordperfect submissions (yikes!) and thus some have a hard time seeing why they should learn LaTeX just for the purpose of their thesis. Once again, thanks for the replies! Cheers, T. ...

publish function
Hello, I am using linux and have been attempting to set matlab up to automatically execute my code every few hours using crontab on Linux. I am currently using the 'publish' function to capture the graph that is outputted in html form. However, when using crontab, since there is no display selected, matlab gives a warning on startup in the command prompt: Warning: No display specified. You will not be able to display graphics on the screen. Warning: No window system found. Java option 'MWT' ignored And subsequently errors: Error using ==> print at 310 Error using ==&...

Publishing to LaTeX
Hi, I would like to convert m-files to LaTeX so that the generated file contains syntax highlighting just as in the editor. The provided publish-function in R14 seems to do nothing more than enclosing the code into a verbatim-environment. And for some strange reason it can't publish functions (so I have to comment the function-statements). Is there a more intelligent tool around to solve this problem? Regards, Samuel -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:18:51 +0200, "Samuel Fuhrer" <not@valid.email.com...

Matlab Publish
Hi, I am trying to publish some code using matlab publish with the purpose of showing my code and plots all in one file. The file output I intend is a HTML file. The issue is that when I output to HTML file, matlab actually creates 2 files ( html and my plot in png format) I'd like to know if anyone knows of a way to embed the image file into the html file so that I only get a total of one file? I have tried publishing to pdf format but as matlab informed me using pdf does not have any control over page breaks. ...

Problem loading Imp.Publisher+ files into Publisher
A customer of ours has Impression Publisher PLUS V 5.13 on one computer ant Impression Publisher V 4.13 on another. If he tries to read has Publisher Plus documents on Publisher V 4.13 he gets an error saying he needs a later version of Publisher! I thought Publisher + 5.13 & Publisher 4.13 were both the latest versions, and that they each could read each others files. Also I have no problem here reading Pub+ 5.13 docs on 4.06 Publisher! Any ideas why? and a fix? n.b. I don't think the customer can/wants to copy V5.13 to the other machine because, I can't remember why but I kn...

Publishing to LaTeX #2
Hi, I would like to convert m-files to LaTeX so that the generated file contains syntax highlighting just as in the editor. The provided publish-function in R14 seems to do nothing more than enclosing the code into a verbatim-environment. And for some strange reason it can't publish functions (so I have to comment the function-statements). Is there a more intelligent tool around to solve this problem? Regards, Samuel -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Samuel Fuhrer wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to convert...

latex equations with publish
Hi guys, Does anyone know how to control the quality of the images that are produced by the publish function for latex typeset equations? Right now I can see the equations displayed with relatively poor-resolution images and I would like to make them higher resolutions as it can be confident that when they are printed they are still legible. Thanks a lot, Giles Did you ever find a solution to your problem stated below? Paul "Gilles " <louvre65662@mypacks.net> wrote in message <h96bsq$nbs$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi guys, > > Does anyone know how to...

Using Superscripts in Publishing
I recently attended a Matlab workshop where the speaker introduced us to the publishing capabilities of which I was previously unaware. It's really a great feature, but I have one question. Is it possible to use superscripts and subscripts in the section titles? I'm a chemist and as such would like to put supersripts and subscripts in the documentation for the creation of a PDF document. Thanks in advance for any help. Rob "Robert McCarrick" <rob.mccarrick@muohio.edu> wrote in message news:k85mp7$kbc$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > I recently attended a Matlab workshop where the speaker introduced us to > the publishing capabilities of which I was previously unaware. It's > really a great feature, but I have one question. Is it possible to use > superscripts and subscripts in the section titles? I'm a chemist and as > such would like to put supersripts and subscripts in the documentation for > the creation of a PDF document. > Thanks in advance for any help. > Rob Hi Rob, To quote a colleague: I just tried publishing this: %% Title $x$ %% Section $x$ It "worked" but the results were pretty unsatisfying. It was OK for PDF, but pretty bad for HTML. I tried using the superscript character, like so: %% Title x² %% Section x² This came out great. This won't work for all superscripts, but will for the most common ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...

Publish to LaTeX / HTML
Dear all, When I publish my figures with "publish to ...", I get the output, but my figures come out really bad. I have up to 6 subplots in one figure. Consequently, the legend is almost as big as my first subplot and the font of the axes is too big in comparison with the figure itself. Does anybody know how I can change this? It would be nice if this can be done for all the figures at once, since most of them contain subfigures. Thanks! Daan Daan van Gemert wrote: > Dear all, > > When I publish my figures with "publish to ...", I get th...

Publishement of the M-files
hi :) .. i want that the M-file be published automatically when runed .. so i wrote this code : %% publishing and displaying a complete report ans1=mfilename; ans2=pwd; publish([ans2 '\' ans1]) ans2=pwd; web([ans2 '\html\myfile.html']) but it doesn't work , why ? i'll be thankfull for you and your help :) best regards :) "Marwa fahim" <papillonrouge1987@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hde7k1$m8r$1@fred.mathworks.com... > hi :) .. > > i want that the M-file be published automatically when runed .. so i wrote > this code : > &...

New ebook about publishing : Self-Publishing Simplified
Hi everyone, from time to time several of us at Outskirts Press have posted with articles and tips from our free e-University courses. Lately, we've all been busy getting our ebook publishing guide finalized and now it is available for free from http://outskirtspress.com You can decide whether or not it is right for you. Here is an excerpt. Hopefully it helps some of you. Cheers, Gem ----- When the movie studio system was formed in the early 1900s, actors were signed to exclusive deals, treated like commodities, and paid pennies. The studios maintained all the control and m...

Publisher+
Has anybody got the dongleless Publiser+ app for sale at a reasonable price? Regards, Ralph -- ______________________________________________________________________ Ralph King rmking@nospamcwgsy.net (remove nospam to reply) ______________________________________________________________________ In message <4c0d38a601rmking@cwgsy.net> Ralph <rmking@nospamcwgsy.net> wrote: > Has anybody got the dongleless Publiser+ app for sale at a reasonable > price? Computer Concepts s...

Publisher +
Just recently when I load Publisher + several icons on the screen go monochrome. As does the prog itself. I don't remember altering anything on that prog and haven't installed any new software. Any clues? -- *A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. ...

PUBLISH cannot be used with INPUT()
Hello thr, I have a strange problem here. I have a m file the results of which i want to publish. but this mfile asks the user to enter some numbers using the function INPUT. I think PUBLISH does not like this. I am using r2009b. Any help? Regards, Sam "Sam " <saurabh_biomed@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message <hn5t62$lct$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello thr, > > I have a strange problem here. I have a m file the results of which i want to publish. > but this mfile asks the user to enter some numbers using the function INPUT. > I think PUBLISH d...

Problems in using fmincon.m and nlconst.m in Matlab 7.5.0 (R2007b)
Hi All I have been trying to use "fmincon.m" in Matlab version 7.5.0 (R2007b) and getting the following errors: ------------- ??? Undefined function or method 'ge' for input arguments of type 'struct'. Error in ==> nlconst at 85 if DiffMinChange >= DiffMaxChange Error in ==> fmincon at 562 [X,FVAL,lambda,EXITFLAG,OUTPUT,GRAD,HESSIAN]=... .... ------------------ As far as I can understand there seems to be no problem in "nlconst.m" at line 85. Is it a unreported bug or something else ? I have not touched "DiffMaxChange" in optimset....Any clue to fix this error will be most appreciated. Best regards. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Net Engr" <creativesolutionsnz@gmail.com> wrote in message <gpsf9h$p6f$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi All > I have been trying to use "fmincon.m" in > Matlab version 7.5.0 (R2007b) and getting the following errors: > ------------- > ??? Undefined function or method 'ge' for input arguments of type 'struct'. > > Error in ==> nlconst at 85 > if DiffMinChange >= DiffMaxChange > > Error in ==> fmincon at 562 > [X,FVAL,lambda,EXITFLAG,OUTPUT,GRAD,HESSIAN]=... > ... > ------------------ > As far as I can understand there seems to be no problem in "nlconst.m" at line 85. Is it a unreported bug or some...

PC Game publishers should follow what this Music publisher is thinking on doing
PC Game publishers should follow what this Music publisher is thinking on doing "EMI Considering Dropping DRM From Its CDs" http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/emi-considering-dropping-drm-from-its-cds-229929.php Basically what EMI is considering is removing copy-protection from their Retail Music CDs. That is exactly what I've been asking PC Game publishers to do, remove the copy-protection from Retail PC Game CD/DVD Some actually do it, like Relic, id, Epic, but others still insist on using copy-protection and sometime the more agressive type. If EMI really goes fo...

Shall i use the misrosoft Visual c++ code from a m-file generated from matlab in Visual C++ with out matlab runtime environment
undefined ...

Missing figures when using publisher
Hi Folks I am running publisher on an m-file, and it does not seem to create and include figures for all my plots. I am using a drawnow statement after each plotting command. Any ideas would be appreciated. Etienne Add cell breaks when you want to snap the figure, %%, instead of drawnow. Thanks Mathieu, I'll give it a try. ...

OT- A Step Up from M$Publisher
We have need to make nice posters, small brochures and announcements, very short runs (5-20), usually printed on a HP Deskjet 1220C. We must have offended the Microsoft Wizards, for lately we have had nothing but trouble with Publisher. Mysterious changes occur when transferring files from XP to W2000 machines, some fonts work only on Thursdays, colors change with the weather, and Diverse and Various lesser disappointments plague us with unfortunate regularity. We cannot really afford Quark, is there any other options? Note, we hardly ever send anything to a professional printer, and if we di...

partial publishing of m-files
Dear all, Is is possible to exlude some a part of a matlab code from being written in the html file ? I want part of the code to be evaluated, but not output to the html file (for instance to leave some blank in the code, so that student fill the missing part by themselves). Thanks a lot, Gabriel Why not just remove the code you want to be missing, save it as a different file name, and then publish that? > Why not just remove the code you want to be missing, > save it as a different file name, and then publish that? Some of the removed part might be critical (the remaining part o...

Web resources about - Publishing Latex using publish.m - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Publishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature , music , or information — the activity of making information available ...

Publishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature , music , or information — the activity of making information available ...

Media Companies Focus on Marketing Their Publishing Platforms to Others
In the search for new revenue streams, publishers including Vox Media and The Washington Post are hoping to interest other companies in the content ...

Tribune Publishing Chairman Michael Ferro Worries About Bloggers, BuzzFeed
To go along with today’s excellent profile of new Tribune Publishing chairman Michael Ferro , Chicago Trubune reporters Robert Channing and Becky ...

Jury heaps another $25M in damages on Gawker for publishing Hogan sex tape
Things have gone from bad to worse for Gawker Media, as a Florida jury trial over its publication of a sex tape concludes. The same jury that ...

#BlogHer16 Programming Track: Publishing & Writing
The BlogHer community is full of amazing people with insider knowledge about publishing and writing. At #BlogHer16 in Los Angeles, these experts ...

Successful at tech, Ferro sets out to save Tribune Publishing, journalism industry
Michael Ferro wants another chance. Now, as the new chairman and largest shareholder of Chicago-based Tribune Publishing , Ferro has set out ...

Nintendo is publishing Shovel Knight in Japan
... it was released in, and now it's ready to make the journey over to Japan. As announced yesterday, Nintendo is going to be taking care of publishing ...

IU student from Elkhart wins publishing contract in national novel-writing contest
Mallory Hill, a 19-year-old anthropology student and daughter of Prosecuting Attorney Curtis Hill, takes top honor in competition

Sony to buy Michael Jackson's half of Sony/ATV Music Publishing
USA TODAY Sony to buy Michael Jackson's half of Sony/ATV Music Publishing Entertainment Weekly Sony Corp. agreed to buy Michael Jackson's ...