Re: Re[2]: (wx-users) Re: problems with wxMSW 2.8.0

VZ wrote on 25-JAN-2007 12:42:40.23

>JJ> In the application the bitmap (and also lines, text etc..) are generated by a
>JJ> a procedure that is called from another language than c++ (i.e. C or F90)
>
> Why should it matter?
>
>JJ> By doing so the EVT_PAINT is not activated and the class of "canvas" is not
>JJ> known.
>
> I don't understand this, sorry.
The problem is that some c++ objects are not properly defined. One would
like to call routines bbbb::ccccc. But that is not always allowed.

>>JJ> So you need at least a way to force the EVT_PAINT (how do I do this?).
>>JJ>  However, I prefer the code as it is (and works in wxGTK) so that I can
>>JJ> "draw directly" to the window, without manualy calling the event-handler.
>
> This is wrong if only because your window won't be repainted correctly if
>the user covers it with another one or minimizes and then restores it.
Not when these are temporary drawings like "counters". Ofcourse I also wrote
the bitmap at repaint-time. To have everyting in the EVT_PAINT routine
requires a lot of book-keeping of the program about what was drawn and what
was erased etc.
    Cannot this be automated? In X-windows I normally switch on the
Backingstore option, which keeps an image of the window in memory at the
server side. Can this also be done in wxWidgets?

>JJ> What would be the reason for wxMSW not allowing wxClientDC of a window to
>JJ> paint over its children? Is this a limitation of Windows?
>
> Well, it makes sense to not allow one window overwrite another one,
>doesn't it?
 anyway it was not the problem, see one of my prevous posts

                 Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------<

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd

joukj
1/25/2007 11:49:00 AM
comp.soft-sys.wxwindows 21076 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:49:00 +0100 (MET) "Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen" <joukj@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:

JJ>     Cannot this be automated? In X-windows I normally switch on the
JJ> Backingstore option, which keeps an image of the window in memory at the
JJ> server side. Can this also be done in wxWidgets?

 See wxBufferedPaintDC.

 Regards,
VZ

               http://www.tt-solutions.com/