Compo users?

Am I the only RO user who still regularly uses !Composition to compose
graphics?

I ask because, although it generally still works remarkably well on my
ARMX6, some aspects fail. It would be nice to be able to fix these. I've
lost contact with Rob Davison, and assume no-one now is maintaining Compo
(?) Would be nice to revive or update it. Or has this been done and I've
missed it?

I think the problems I now encounter are down to some of the small
'utility' programs it calls for specific tasks which now don't run
correctly with the modern OS and hardware. If so, may be fixable. But I'm
guessing this!

Jim

Jim
12/21/2016 1:14:27 PM
comp.sys.acorn.apps 4795 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In message <55f1f37e1bnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>
 on 21 Dec 2016 Jim Lesurf  wrote:

> Am I the only RO user who still regularly uses !Composition to compose
> graphics?

We have Compo, but I do not often use it, as I do a lot more work with vector
graphics.  We use Variations a lot more and it would be good to get this
working on the ARMX6.

I think Rob Davison did contribute on a newsgroup or forum briefly sometime
in the last two years, so he may still be contactable.

Matthew
0
Matthew
12/21/2016 7:24:59 PM
Hello Matthew & Jim

In article <936a15f255.Matthew@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk>,
   Matthew Phillips <spam2011m@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <55f1f37e1bnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>
>  on 21 Dec 2016 Jim Lesurf  wrote:

> > Am I the only RO user who still regularly uses !Composition to compose
> > graphics?

> We have Compo, but I do not often use it, as I do a lot more work with vector
> graphics.  We use Variations a lot more and it would be good to get this
> working on the ARMX6.

> I think Rob Davison did contribute on a newsgroup or forum briefly sometime
> in the last two years, so he may still be contactable.

> Matthew

Variations has been discussed on another newsgroup, and I contact Rob. He is
still about, but does not see himself doing any more work on Variations, and
I think that we can assume that the same would apply to Composition. I then
asked him if the source documents still existed, and if so would he be
prepared to hand them over to someone to work on. I have not had a reply to
this email.

I use Composition occasionally, but to me Variations is more important.

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
<john@ryepad.plus.com> wrote:

> Variations has been discussed on another newsgroup, and I contact Rob.
> He is still about, but does not see himself doing any more work on
> Variations, and I think that we can assume that the same would apply to
> Composition. I then asked him if the source documents still existed, and
> if so would he be prepared to hand them over to someone to work on. I
> have not had a reply to this email.

Many years ago I had a similar conversation with him. He did actually send
me source code.  However I'd probably stuggle now to find the source code
he sent to me. Too many machine changes, etc, ago. Probably on one or two
of a hundred+ old data CDs on spindles! :-/

That said, the main program is BASIC - but compressed. The source version
may be uncompressed.  But, being BASIC, this probably isn't the cause of
the things that now don't work.

However it makes use of a large number of called programs to perform
various functions. I suspect some of these are now not functional on the
newer OS and hardware. If you look inside !Compo you can see them in the
'Resources' subdirectory.

In some cases I think it also tries to call external programs. IIRC It does
this for PNG and GIF conversions. And again, may not find a version that
now works. But it sometimes hard (for me!) to tell which of the reasons is
a cause of something not working.

> I use Composition occasionally, but to me Variations is more important.

To a large extent I've continued to use Compo specifically for composition.
i.e. combining images (vector as well as bitmap) to make a larger or more
complex result. But I have also valued the PCA tools which add more
flexibility.

TBH I suspect many people don't realise just how many things Compo can do.
And, lacking any info, the number of users falls...

But it would take a much better programmer than myself to understand the
above complications and deal with them.

Jim

Jim
12/22/2016 12:36:26 PM
Hello Jim

In article <55f273d907noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,
   Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <55f2680023john@ryepad.plus.com>, John Rye
> <john@ryepad.plus.com> wrote:

> > Variations has been discussed on another newsgroup, and I contact Rob.
> > He is still about, but does not see himself doing any more work on
> > Variations, and I think that we can assume that the same would apply to
> > Composition. I then asked him if the source documents still existed, and
> > if so would he be prepared to hand them over to someone to work on. I
> > have not had a reply to this email.

> Many years ago I had a similar conversation with him. He did actually send
> me source code.  However I'd probably stuggle now to find the source code
> he sent to me. Too many machine changes, etc, ago. Probably on one or two
> of a hundred+ old data CDs on spindles! :-/

> That said, the main program is BASIC - but compressed. The source version
> may be uncompressed.  But, being BASIC, this probably isn't the cause of
> the things that now don't work.

> However it makes use of a large number of called programs to perform
> various functions. I suspect some of these are now not functional on the
> newer OS and hardware. If you look inside !Compo you can see them in the
> 'Resources' subdirectory.

> In some cases I think it also tries to call external programs. IIRC It does
> this for PNG and GIF conversions. And again, may not find a version that
> now works. But it sometimes hard (for me!) to tell which of the reasons is
> a cause of something not working.

> > I use Composition occasionally, but to me Variations is more important.

> To a large extent I've continued to use Compo specifically for composition.
> i.e. combining images (vector as well as bitmap) to make a larger or more
> complex result. But I have also valued the PCA tools which add more
> flexibility.

> TBH I suspect many people don't realise just how many things Compo can do.
> And, lacking any info, the number of users falls...

> But it would take a much better programmer than myself to understand the
> above complications and deal with them.

I just had a look. I make it the compressed basic, + 5 modules + 2 compiled
functions.

I reckon that the problems are probably in the modules. If you were running
an uncompressed version of the basic with Reporter running. It should be
possible to identify where the problems are.

If we had the source for the modules I reckon someone would have a go at
recompiling them.

Cheers

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Web Site <http://www.ryepad.plus.com>
   ---< Using RISC OS on a Strongarm RiscPC, a Raspberry Pi, and emulated under Windows >---
0
John
12/22/2016 7:28:38 PM
In article <55f2999532john@ryepad.plus.com>, John Rye
<john@ryepad.plus.com> wrote:
> Hello Jim

> In article <55f273d907noise@audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf
>    <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> > However it makes use of a large number of called programs to perform
> > various functions. I suspect some of these are now not functional on
> > the newer OS and hardware. If you look inside !Compo you can see them
> > in the 'Resources' subdirectory.

> > But it would take a much better programmer than myself to understand
> > the above complications and deal with them.

> I just had a look. I make it the compressed basic, + 5 modules + 2
> compiled functions.

Here I see 4 absolute code files and 7 modules in the 'Resources'
directory. Also two BASIC files. And some files that don't even have a date
or stated filetype but what I guess is a load address.

Three of the absolutes - cjpeg, djeg, and sprt2png - look like they may
have come from elsewhere. But that said, I need the system to have 'seen'
!Spr2Png to load/save pngs, and I can't now get jpegs to load/save. The
other is called "Thingi". I guess that distinguishes it from "Foggy". :-)

*Lots* of other files that seem to be 'data', etc, but have names that make
them look like the 'do something'.

> I reckon that the problems are probably in the modules. If you were
> running an uncompressed version of the basic with Reporter running. It
> should be possible to identify where the problems are.

> If we had the source for the modules I reckon someone would have a go at
> recompiling them.

I'll see if I can re-contact Rob about this. I have no idea where the
source codes he sent me are now beyond 'probably on a CDROM somewhere'.
Alas, I have hundreds of these on spindles all over the place. So if I can
contact him that might be faster.

Jim

Jim
12/23/2016 10:05:48 AM
In message <55f273d907noise@audiomisc.co.uk>
          Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <55f2680023john@ryepad.plus.com>, John Rye
> <john@ryepad.plus.com> wrote:

>> Variations has been discussed on another newsgroup, and I contact Rob.
[snip]

> But it would take a much better programmer than myself to understand the
> above complications and deal with them.
[snip]

Have had a quick look - in some of the BASIC files [some made into
Object files &FF8 ] - there seems to be some pc}^ and a mov*s pc,r14.

They probably have been missed in the past - and not effected the
Iyonix where the later machines object.

Note - a lot of ARM machine code in the BASIC files.

--
Colin Ferris Cornwall UK
0