Hard Discs

I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
(slave) drive. It boots from :4.

I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
find a drive.

I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK.

I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine
it only has one drive now.

Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I
really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners
PC.

My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of
hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and
SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem
arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as
that won't yet be formatted.

JayCee

0
jaycee (105)

In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>
> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
> find a drive.
>
> I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK.
>
> I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine
> it only has one drive now.
>
> Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I
> really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners
> PC.
>
> My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of
> hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and
> SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem
> arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as
> that won't yet be formatted.

If there is only one drive on the cable it should have its link set to
Master. It there are two then they could be either Master/Slave or
Cable Select.

I have just replaced both the harddrives in my Iyonix with rather
splendid 120MB 7200rpm devices from CJE. The instructions said if
connected to an Ultra cable, which I took to mean eighty cores, which
I do have, then use Cable Select. (The cable has its sockets labelled
Master and Slave.) I just did what I was told, all works perfectly.

I have the CD is own cable, the original ribbon.

I rather think the Master is drive 4.

The system manages itself, there is no configuration.

Hope that helps.
--
David Pitt.

Castle Iyonix, RISC OS 5.09.
0
news7066 (1533)
6/25/2005 9:13:33 AM
In message of 25 Jun, JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of
> hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and
> SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem
> arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as
> that won't yet be formatted.

The answer is, I think, that you don't (configure the number of IDE
drives).  I have a disc in a caddy and if I remove it and then reboot,
no problem occurs, it just is not there.  Put it back in and reboot -
and the drive reappears.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe������������������������������������������tim@powys.org
�������������For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org
On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>
> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
> find a drive.

You've probably added something from the second drive to your boot sequence,
either via the Boot section of !Configure, or in an applications choices.
Skip the error, and then work out what hasn't loaded.

> I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine
> it only has one drive now.

You don't its automatic.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/25/2005 10:39:08 AM
In message <06d881804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
>> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>>
>> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
>> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
>> find a drive.
>
> You've probably added something from the second drive to your boot sequence,
> either via the Boot section of !Configure, or in an applications choices.
> Skip the error, and then work out what hasn't loaded.

I have checked configure very carefully and it doesn't refer to drive
5 anywhere; on that drive are only a complete backup of 4 and graphic
and sound files, no applications (except backed up ones). I have put
the drive back in and everything works again.

There is no error to skip, the machine starts up in the desktop but
with no hard drive icons and if I go to the command line and look for
drive 4 it says it isn't there.

I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
read what others write on here sometimes!))

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 11:03:03 AM
In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <06d881804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
>>> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>>>
>>> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
>>> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
>>> find a drive.
>>
>> You've probably added something from the second drive to your boot sequence,
>> either via the Boot section of !Configure, or in an applications choices.
>> Skip the error, and then work out what hasn't loaded.
>>
> I have checked configure very carefully and it doesn't refer to drive
> 5 anywhere; on that drive are only a complete backup of 4 and graphic
> and sound files, no applications (except backed up ones). I have put
> the drive back in and everything works again.
>
> There is no error to skip, the machine starts up in the desktop but
> with no hard drive icons and if I go to the command line and look for
> drive 4 it says it isn't there.
>
> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
> read what others write on here sometimes!))

Sorry to add a PS but it may be relevanty - drive 5 now has absolutley
nothing on it so given that the machine starts OK with it connected
but empty doe sthat provide any clue?

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 11:06:17 AM
In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
> read what others write on here sometimes!))

Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
the empty one is Slave.

--
David Pitt.

Castle Iyonix, RISC OS 5.09.
0
news7066 (1533)
6/25/2005 11:16:16 AM
In message <303e85804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>>

>> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
>> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
>> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
>> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
>> read what others write on here sometimes!))
>>
> Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
> the empty one is Slave.

The empty one is already set as slave - drive 4 should be set as
master but I can't get it out to look at the settings as one of the
screws where you have to poke your screwdriver through the metalwork
appears to have stripped its threads.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 11:29:56 AM
In message <ec5486804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <303e85804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
>          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> [snip]
>>>

>>> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
>>> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
>>> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
>>> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
>>> read what others write on here sometimes!))
>>>
>> Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
>> the empty one is Slave.
>>
>The empty one is already set as slave - drive 4 should be set as
>master but I can't get it out to look at the settings as one of the
>screws where you have to poke your screwdriver through the metalwork
>appears to have stripped its threads.

I had the stripped thread syndrome here. I was less than sure that the
screws were the right size. It came out in the end and was reinstated in
a data safe with a right assortment of self tappers.

The drives that were in the Iyonix had the marking where they were
visible which is more than can be said for the new pair.

I have reread the thread to try to resynchronise the brain. The machine
is booting from drive 4, are there the same errors with the empty drive
5 present as there were when drive 5 was removed.

--
David Pitt.

Castle Iyonix, RISC OS 5.09.
0
news7066 (1533)
6/25/2005 12:06:10 PM
In message <d5cf89804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <ec5486804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <303e85804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
>>          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>>>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>> [snip]

>>> Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
>>> the empty one is Slave.
>>>
>>The empty one is already set as slave - drive 4 should be set as
>>master but I can't get it out to look at the settings as one of the
>>screws where you have to poke your screwdriver through the metalwork
>>appears to have stripped its threads.
>>
> I had the stripped thread syndrome here. I was less than sure that the
> screws were the right size. It came out in the end and was reinstated in
> a data safe with a right assortment of self tappers.
>
> The drives that were in the Iyonix had the marking where they were
> visible which is more than can be said for the new pair.
>
> I have reread the thread to try to resynchronise the brain. The machine
> is booting from drive 4, are there the same errors with the empty drive
> 5 present as there were when drive 5 was removed.

No, I am probably confusing everyone else as much as I am myself.

With both drives in the machine works fine.

If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
the command line it just says drive not recognised.

Please don't expend too much brainpower on it as I may need to come
back to you when I try to put a new drive in next week - I certainly
never had any of these problems when I first put a second drive in.

JayCee

0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 12:29:53 PM
In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>
> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
> find a drive.

Have you got it looking at or running something on drive 5 at the start
up?

[snip]

--
Kev Wells  http://kevsoft.topcities.com
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> With both drives in the machine works fine.
>
> If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
> with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
> the command line it just says drive not recognised.

Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/25/2005 1:17:38 PM
In message <d3958f804d.Kevin@pipex.com>
          Kevin Wells <kev.wells@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
>> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>>
>> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
>> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
>> find a drive.
>>

> Have you got it looking at or running something on drive 5 at the start
> up?
>
> [snip]

No - it can't find any drives at all it starts the desktop with no
hard drive icons at all
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 1:21:53 PM
In message <ab5a90804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> With both drives in the machine works fine.
>>
>> If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
>> with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
>> the command line it just says drive not recognised.
>
> Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.

Yes Drive 4 is at te end, drive 5 was (is) on the middle connector of
that lead. CD drive is on other IDE socket.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 1:32:13 PM
In message <14bc91804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <ab5a90804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> > On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >> With both drives in the machine works fine.
> >>
> >> If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
> >> with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
> >> the command line it just says drive not recognised.
> >
> > Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.
> >
> Yes Drive 4 is at te end, drive 5 was (is) on the middle connector of
> that lead. CD drive is on other IDE socket.
>
> JayCee

Which of your two drives was the original ?

I once had a drive which would not work on the Iyonix on its own, so try
copying !Boot on the existing drive 4 to drive 5 and running with the
existing drive 5 as the only disc on the cable, set as master and on the
end etc.

John

--
John Sandford   West Herts   UK

Hemel Hempstead RISC OS User Group email info @ hhrug.org
In message <650997804d.jms@sandford.ntlworld.com>
          fornewsgroups@ntlworld.com wrote:

> In message <14bc91804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <ab5a90804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

>> > Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.
>> >
>> Yes Drive 4 is at te end, drive 5 was (is) on the middle connector of
>> that lead. CD drive is on other IDE socket.
>>
>> JayCee
>
> Which of your two drives was the original ?
>
> I once had a drive which would not work on the Iyonix on its own, so try
> copying !Boot on the existing drive 4 to drive 5 and running with the
> existing drive 5 as the only disc on the cable, set as master and on the
> end etc.

I thank you all for your comments but am now starting a production of
my monthly magazine so cannot keep opening up the computer.

I will bear it all in mind for when I change the drive next week.

In the meantimne van anyone suggest a solution to John's posting which
suggests there are drives which will not work alone on an Iyonix. If
it will 4 will work with 5 connected and not without then that doesn't
make much sense to me. Maybe if anyone from Castle is watching there
comments would be useful.

FWIW drive 4 is a replacement 120Gb drive and drive 5 used to be drive
4 then became drive 5 and that is the original 80Gb disc.
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 2:49:16 PM
On 25 Jun, JayCee wrote in message
  <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>:

> In the meantimne van anyone suggest a solution to John's posting which
> suggests there are drives which will not work alone on an Iyonix. If  it
> will 4 will work with 5 connected and not without then that doesn't
> make much sense to me. Maybe if anyone from Castle is watching there
> comments would be useful.

Perhaps asking on the support list might be sensible?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

0
news1571 (3486)
6/25/2005 3:55:20 PM
In article <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> FWIW drive 4 is a replacement 120Gb drive and drive 5 used to be drive
> 4 then became drive 5 and that is the original 80Gb disc.

IWAL - in fact, that's the problem.

In that case, if you didn't alter the drive settings, the current drive 4
is set as a slave and thus won't be seen when you remove :5 which is still
set to master from when it was originally :4.

Set drive 4 to master and all will be solved. When you add your new disc,
set it to slave.

John

Or, as your new disc will possibly be set to master anyway on receipt, do
nothing until you fit it.

--
John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <4d809f275dUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
>           "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
>>    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW drive 4 is a replacement 120Gb drive and drive 5 used to be drive
>>> 4 then became drive 5 and that is the original 80Gb disc.
>>
>> IWAL - in fact, that's the problem.
>>
>> In that case, if you didn't alter the drive settings, the current drive 4
>> is set as a slave and thus won't be seen when you remove :5 which is still
>> set to master from when it was originally :4.
>>
>> Set drive 4 to master and all will be solved. When you add your new disc,
>> set it to slave.

To try to draw this to a close I have tried various things suggested
already to no avail.

I then finally managed to get drive 4 out of the computer and it was
set to 'master with slave', I have changed this to 'master' and
ensured it is on the end of the cable and then restarted the machine
without drive 5 connected.

Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
dark shade of black.

This is totally puzzling; the boot is not searching for anything on
drive 5, it isn't even starting. But as soon as I plug drive 5 back in
everything works fine.

I have also tried it with just drive 5 with a boot on it as master and
that works as well.

Does this mean I am wasting my money on another drive as without drive
5 (remember the original drive with the machine but since reformatted)
it seems my machine will not work and that is the one I want to
upgrade.

JayCee

0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 6:34:40 PM
In article <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
> dark shade of black.

It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
symptoms.

On 25 Jun 2005 Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 25 Jun, JayCee wrote in message
>   <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>:
>
> > In the meantimne van anyone suggest a solution to John's posting which
> > suggests there are drives which will not work alone on an Iyonix. If  it
> > will 4 will work with 5 connected and not without then that doesn't
> > make much sense to me. Maybe if anyone from Castle is watching there
> > comments would be useful.
>
> Perhaps asking on the support list might be sensible?

There might be problems for some people. Since last night my posts to
smartgroups have bounced. Checking today and www.smartgroups.com is
redirected to a network solutions holding page, so it appears PlusNet's
DNS isn't recognising it, neither is the ISP on a remote connection I've
called up. It is working form other ISPs as I'm still getting emails from
smartgroup lists.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/25/2005 7:08:20 PM
In message <4d80afdbb4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
          Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In article <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
>> dark shade of black.
>
> It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
> symptoms.

It is definitely the correct way round it isn't physically possible to
plug it in the other way - but as I mentioned drive 4 will only work
if drive 5 is also present in the machine.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 8:15:14 PM
In article <5e76b0804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
   druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> There might be problems for some people. Since last night my posts to
> smartgroups have bounced. Checking today and www.smartgroups.com is
> redirected to a network solutions holding page, so it appears PlusNet's
> DNS isn't recognising it, neither is the ISP on a remote connection
> I've called up. It is working form other ISPs as I'm still getting
> emails from smartgroup lists.

Probably a lightning strike on something important. If you were not aware
of how bad things were down here then the BBC News site had ten pics
taken in Dorset in the early hours of Friday morning of lightning. The
storms came for us during the afternoon. A large hotel was struck nearby
and a large part burned out - we could smell it at a distance of about 3
miles.

What a time to pick to change ISP and sort backing-up trouble due to SCSI
connection woes.

Lionel

--
    ___          ______
   /  /         /  ___/       4 children         | Sea Vixen for pugnacity

From an OS that Windows is too young to remember. ;-)
0
lionels (537)
6/25/2005 9:06:40 PM
In article <07a6b5804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4d80afdbb4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
>           Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > In article <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
> >    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
> >> dark shade of black.

> > It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
> > symptoms.

> It is definitely the correct way round it isn't physically possible to
> plug it in the other way - but as I mentioned drive 4 will only work
> if drive 5 is also present in the machine.

Different set of symptoms there. As described it sounds like 5 is set as
master and so when it is removed there is no disc end control function
active and you see no drives.

There exists the possibility that you didn't fully describe the problem
with the drive 5 removed and that if you leave the machine long enough it
eventually starts but with a bare flash ROM based OS content.

You have to remember we can't see your machine so you have to be *very*
precise about what does and what does not happen. Short lines for
preference rather than war and peace. :-)

In message <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I have also tried it with just drive 5 with a boot on it as master and
> that works as well.
>
> Does this mean I am wasting my money on another drive as without drive
> 5 (remember the original drive with the machine but since reformatted)
> it seems my machine will not work and that is the one I want to
> upgrade.
>
> JayCee

This is just what I had with a western Digital drive, I since fitted an 80
Gb Maxtor as a second drive which works as master or slave. Drive 4 or
Drive 5, so I concluded that the WD drive and my iyonix did not like each
other. (I believe Risc OS and cavier drives have a long history of not
talking to each other)

John

--

In message <4d80bf2ad4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
          Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In article <07a6b5804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4d80afdbb4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
>>           Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>> > It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
>> > symptoms.
>
>> It is definitely the correct way round it isn't physically possible to
>> plug it in the other way - but as I mentioned drive 4 will only work
>> if drive 5 is also present in the machine.
>
> Different set of symptoms there. As described it sounds like 5 is set as
> master and so when it is removed there is no disc end control function
> active and you see no drives.
>
> There exists the possibility that you didn't fully describe the problem
> with the drive 5 removed and that if you leave the machine long enough it
> eventually starts but with a bare flash ROM based OS content.
>
> You have to remember we can't see your machine so you have to be *very*
> precise about what does and what does not happen. Short lines for
> preference rather than war and peace. :-)

Sorry I do tend to go on....:)

Basically:

Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master

Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave

Both connected - machine works

4 only connected to end of cable machine does not boot
No disc activity and blank screen

5 only connected to end of cable machine boots with bare flash ROM

Thats about as basic as I can make it.

PS I never did finish War and Peace!

0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 10:23:41 PM
In message <d93cc2804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> PS I never did finish War and Peace!

It was the butler that did it...

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website:
<http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/index.html>
0
Graeme (792)
6/26/2005 7:43:41 AM
In article <d93cc2804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>, JayCee
<jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4d80bf2ad4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> Steven Pampling
>           <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > You have to remember we can't see your machine so you have to be
> > *very* precise about what does and what does not happen. Short lines
> > for preference rather than war and peace. :-)
> >
> Sorry I do tend to go on....:)

> Basically:

> Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master

Hmmm, after Fujitsu my second most amusing manufacturer is WD.
(That's "amusement" with a deeply ironic twist)
As I recall some models have different settings for master *with* slave and
master as single drive.

> Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave

> Both connected - machine works

A working controller on the drive line.

> 4 only connected to end of cable machine does not boot No disc activity
> and blank screen.

Something connected but not a working controller - I think it would time
out eventually and give a minimal ROM based setup.(Unless the incompatible
controller hangs things)

> 5 only connected to end of cable machine boots with bare flash ROM

Looks like there is no !Boot on the drive available (or the boot config
points at a different disc name) so all you get is the ROM based
components.
I suspect if you  did have then it would boot like a normal single drive
machine.
Open a task window and check: What response does
 *status drive
 give you?

> Thats about as basic as I can make it.

> PS I never did finish War and Peace!

I took a brief look and decided that if I ever developed bad insomnia there
was a solution...

In article <4d80bb4bbelionels@argonet.co.uk>,
   Lionel Smith <lionels@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> A large hotel was struck nearby
> and a large part burned out - we could smell it at a distance of about 3
> miles.

Hey, if it was that smelly it's probably a good job it burned down. :-)

On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master
> Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave

Do you really need the extra 40GB? If not just use the 80GB by itself and put
the 120GB in the PC. If you do need more space, use both and get another
drive for the PC.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/26/2005 9:25:24 PM
In message <9ed840814d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master
>> Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave
>
> Do you really need the extra 40GB? If not just use the 80GB by itself and put
> the 120GB in the PC. If you do need more space, use both and get another
> drive for the PC.

Many thanks to everyone of you who have made contributions to this
thread.

Druck's last one has made me consider my means of data storage and I
may make more use of 'off machine' storage.

It would seem that from what some people have said Western Digital
(whom I always though a reliable manufacturer) don't live happily with
our machines, although having said that I haven't (touch wood) had any
problems with my 120Gb drive whilst the Maxtor has been in the machine
as well.

Thanks to everyone again, you have really helped.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/26/2005 9:48:50 PM
In article <1c0b43814d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> It would seem that from what some people have said Western Digital
> (whom I always though a reliable manufacturer) don't live happily with
> our machines,

My first experience of strangeness with drives was a WD drive and I was
trying to fit a set of them as second drives in 486 PeeCees (Yep, before
Pentium)