Apple //e, Infocom interpreters and Inform Z5 data files

Some years ago, I made some attempts - some successful, some less so - at
porting games written in Inform to the Apple ][.  Games compiled with
Inform use the same bytecode format as Infocom's games, and as such, are
usually capable of running on Infocom's interpreters.

There seem to be Apple versions of 3 games officially built on the Z5
engine: Beyond Zork, Border Zone and Sherlock.

Sherlock appears to be incomplete, as a search of the Asimov archive only
finds side 1.

The copy of Border Zone that I found on Asimov has a 'tro, runs
Interpreter C, and fails verification.

I downloaded Beyond Zork years ago, probably the same copy currently on
Asimov, which is a DSK of side A and a NIB of side B.  This runs
interpreter A, and passes verification.  This is also the source of the
interpreter I used on my Z5 ports.

There are many fanmade games that are written in, or to be compiled into,
the Z5 bytecode, and I would like to port some of them to the Apple //e.
However, the fact that side 2 is not in a normal 16-sector format has, to
date, impeded me from doing so.  (I recall reading that it used some sort
of an 18-sector format.)

As gradually having become more familiar with the ][ than I was the
previous time I attempted this nearly 15 years ago (geez, I feel old), I
start to think that it may be possible, with further knowledge of the disk
format, to do these ports.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 7:06:41 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

A little more information on this...

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom/tools/zcut11.c

("enum tsystem" has to be changed to "tsystem" in two adjacent lines near
the top of main() to compile, at least with WCL.)

The convert_disk() function, which is intended for decoding the second
disk of a 2-disk set, does indeed work with an 18-sector track, with no
space between the sectors.  It seems like each track has a header sequence
of D5 AA AD, followed by 18 "sectors" of 343 nibbles plus a checksum.

The trick is how to reverse this process.

It looks like only the first 100864 bytes of the game data go onto disk 1,
and the remainder goes on disk 2.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 10:33:04 AM
ALMOST THERE... ALMOST THERE...

Alright, I used zcut to pull myself a temp file.

I wrote this crude program to shift the tracks around so that the prologue
appeared at the beginning of each track:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdint.h>

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  uint8_t track1[0x1A00], track2[0x1A00];
  int t1, t2, t3;
  FILE *in, *out;

  in=fopen(argv[1],"rb");
  out=fopen(argv[2],"wb");

  for (t1=0; t1<35; t1++)
  {
   fread(track1,0x1A00,1,in);
   t3=0;
   for (t2=0; t2<0x1A00; t2++)
   {
    if ((track1[t2]==0xD5)&&
        (track1[(t2+1)%0x1A00]==0xAA)&&
        (track1[(t2+2)%0x1A00]==0xAD)) t3=t2;
   }
   for (t2=0; t2<0x1A00; t2++)
   {
    track2[t2]=track1[(t2+t3)%0x1A00];
   }
   fwrite(track2,0x1A00,1,out);
  }
  fclose(in);
  fclose(out);
  return 0;
}

And then I ran zcut11 to pry the data file out of the original disk
images.

Then I tried running this code, which (if written correctly) would have
recreated the *second* disk, the .NIB, from the data file.  It ALMOST
worked, but for some reason, seems to have flipped a bunch of 2 bits when
the data is converted back.  (Perhaps the nibblization isn't exactly what
I expected?)

#include <stdint.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

uint8_t translate[256] =
{
  0x96, 0x97, 0x9A, 0x9B, 0x9D, 0x9E, 0x9F, 0xA6,
  0xA7, 0xAB, 0xAC, 0xAD, 0xAE, 0xAF, 0xB2, 0xB3,
  0xB4, 0xB5, 0xB6, 0xB7, 0xB9, 0xBA, 0xBB, 0xBC,
  0xBD, 0xBE, 0xBF, 0xCB, 0xCD, 0xCE, 0xCF, 0xD3,
  0xD6, 0xD7, 0xD9, 0xDA, 0xDB, 0xDC, 0xDD, 0xDE,
  0xDF, 0xE5, 0xE6, 0xE7, 0xE9, 0xEA, 0xEB, 0xEC,
  0xED, 0xEE, 0xEF, 0xF2, 0xF3, 0xF4, 0xF5, 0xF6,
  0xF7, 0xF9, 0xFA, 0xFB, 0xFC, 0xFD, 0xFE, 0xFF,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x00, 0x01,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x02, 0x03, 0x80, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x07, 0x08,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0B, 0x0C, 0x0D,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x0E, 0x0F, 0x10, 0x11, 0x12, 0x13,
  0x80, 0x14, 0x15, 0x16, 0x17, 0x18, 0x19, 0x1A,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x1B, 0x80, 0x1C, 0x1D, 0x1E,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x1F, 0x80, 0x80, 0x20, 0x21,
  0x80, 0x22, 0x23, 0x24, 0x25, 0x26, 0x27, 0x28,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x80, 0x29, 0x2A, 0x2B,
  0x80, 0x2C, 0x2D, 0x2E, 0x2F, 0x30, 0x31, 0x32,
  0x80, 0x80, 0x33, 0x34, 0x35, 0x36, 0x37, 0x38,
  0x80, 0x39, 0x3A, 0x3B, 0x3C, 0x3D, 0x3E, 0x3F
};

uint8_t *mksec (uint8_t *nibs, uint8_t *bytes)
{
  int checksum, diskbyte;

  checksum=0;
  for (diskbyte=0; diskbyte<0x0156; diskbyte++)
  {
   int v;
   v=(diskbyte>=0x56)?(bytes[diskbyte-0x56]>>2):
                      ((bytes[diskbyte     ]&0x02)<<1)|
                      ((bytes[diskbyte     ]&0x01)<<1)|
                      ((bytes[diskbyte+0x56]&0x02)<<1)|
                      ((bytes[diskbyte+0x56]&0x01)<<3)|
                      ((bytes[diskbyte+0xAC]&0x02)<<3)|
                      ((bytes[diskbyte+0xAC]&0x01)<<5);
   *(nibs++)=translate[(checksum^v)&0x3F];
   checksum=v;
  }
  *(nibs++)=translate[checksum&0x3F];
  return nibs;
}

uint8_t track[0x1A00];

void mktrk (uint8_t *bytes)
{
  int s, o;

  memset(track,255,0x1A00);
  track[0]=0xD5;
  track[1]=0xAA;
  track[2]=0xAD;
  for (s=0; s<18; s++)
  {
   o=5+(s*343);
   mksec(&(track[o]),&(bytes[s<<8]));
  }
}

uint8_t raw[161280];
uint8_t disk[232960];

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  long l;
  FILE *file;

  memset(raw,0,161280);

  if (argc!=3)
  {
   fprintf (stderr, "Syntax error\n");
   return -1;
  }

  file=fopen(argv[1],"rb");
  if (!file)
  {
   perror(argv[1]);
   return -1;
  }

  fseek(file,0,SEEK_END);
  l=ftell(file);
  fseek(file,100864,SEEK_SET);
  if (l>262144)
  {
   fprintf (stderr, "File too large\n");
   return -1;
  }
  fread(raw,l-100864,1,file);
  fclose(file);
  for (l=0; l<35; l++)
  {
   mktrk(&(raw[l*4608]));
   memcpy(&(disk[l*0x1A00]),track,0x1A00);
  }
  file=fopen(argv[2],"wb");
  if (!file)
  {
   perror(argv[2]);
   return -2;
  }
  fwrite(disk,232960,1,file);
  fclose(file);
  return 0;
}

0
Steve
12/19/2016 12:37:30 PM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Steve Nickolas wrote:

>                     ((bytes[diskbyte     ]&0x02)<<1)|

Derp, << should be >> here.

I think I've fixed it; report in a couple minutes.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 2:48:21 PM
Partial success: the disk image created reads out successfully with
zcut11, but the interpreter doesn't recognize that disk 2 has been
inserted.

Current code: http://3.buric.co/interlz5-000.zip

The first 4 tracks in DOS Order can be found in "zterp5a.dat", if they may
be helpful for figuring out how the thing is supposed to detect the second
disk.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 3:09:38 PM
http://3.buric.co/interlz5-001.zip

It works!

An only partially tested Border Zone, which has the Beyond Zork
interpreter but the same data file (theoretically) as the crack by First
Class: http://3.buric.co/borderzone_interl.zip

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 3:30:16 PM
Is it also possible to port some of the earlier Infocom games to a later ve=
rsion?  Many early Z3 based games only run in 40 columns while all the late=
r ones and some of the more popular games that were updated run in 80 colum=
ns.  It would be nice if all of them could run in 80 columns.
0
Tempest
12/19/2016 4:42:12 PM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> Is it also possible to port some of the earlier Infocom games to a later
> version?  Many early Z3 based games only run in 40 columns while all the
> later ones and some of the more popular games that were updated run in
> 80 columns.  It would be nice if all of them could run in 80 columns.

Yes.  Simply replace the first 3 tracks (I think even COPY DOS in Copy ][+
would work) with that of another Z3 game (except Wishbringer).

There used to be a collection with all the latest revisions of the Infocom
Z3 games, all with the M (last version) interpreter.  I might have some of
those still, and I might even be able to reconstruct the rest.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 6:26:14 PM
> There used to be a collection with all the latest revisions of the Infocom
> Z3 games, all with the M (last version) interpreter.  I might have some of
> those still, and I might even be able to reconstruct the rest.

If that collection still exists and could be uploaded to Asimov that would be great.

0
Tempest
12/19/2016 6:28:46 PM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

>> There used to be a collection with all the latest revisions of the Infocom
>> Z3 games, all with the M (last version) interpreter.  I might have some of
>> those still, and I might even be able to reconstruct the rest.
>
> If that collection still exists and could be uploaded to Asimov that
> would be great.

Looks like it was only a partial collection.

I went through and gathered everything I could to
http://3.buric.co/infocom.zip but as a lot of it is redundant (just
gathered together into one place) I opted not to upload it there and wreck
the signal-to-noise ratio further.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/19/2016 8:23:43 PM
I've actually got an idea here, but I'm missing one piece of the cake.

If I understand correctly, Zork I got a release on the Apple ][ while the
Z-Machine was still at version 1 (it was Release 5; I have a data file and
the serial number is blanked out).

I believe this is the only release on the Apple ][ to include a so-called
"Z1" interpreter.

I've been working on a "universal Infocom porting tool" that can port
Z1-Z5 games to the Apple ][, but it currently can't support Z1 games
because I don't have one to mooch the interpreter code from.  This is,
however, just a "tick feature" on my list.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/20/2016 11:31:53 AM
Those all work great!  The only exception is Moonmist which is the wrong size.  I found one in the Asimov archive that worked except it has a crack screen.  I need to find a Moonmist and Bureaucracy without crack screens now.

Any chance Zork: The Undiscovered Underground could be converted to the Apple II?
0
Tempest
12/20/2016 4:38:30 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 5:38:32 PM UTC+1, Tempest wrote:
> The only exception is Moonmist which is the wrong size.

Use a hex editor and cut the extra bytes after offset $22FFF, or downnolad it form here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz0ReUsiwYcpNmJvR0p4Y2lpc2s

I haven't play the full game, $VERIFY: all OK.

Marco
0
mverpelli
12/20/2016 5:08:14 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> Those all work great!  The only exception is Moonmist which is the wrong
> size.  I found one in the Asimov archive that worked except it has a
> crack screen.  I need to find a Moonmist and Bureaucracy without crack
> screens now.

Just so happens I backported Bureaucracy today.

http://3.buric.co/bureaucracy-116-870602.zip

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it does pass the $VERIFY test.

> Any chance Zork: The Undiscovered Underground could be converted to the
> Apple II?

Yes, with some caveats.

The Z5 vA interpreter, which is the only one I can get working, has
trouble with Inform games, and the file is just 2K too large for the
interpreter to allow to fit on one disk even though theoretically it
should work just fine.

http://3.buric.co/ztuu-16-970828.zip

So... yeah, it can be done, but it won't work 100% correctly.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/20/2016 7:31:35 PM
A followup on my previous comments re this post:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> Any chance Zork: The Undiscovered Underground could be converted to the
> Apple II?

To be able to properly port this would rely on 2 things:

1. I would have to be able to "inject" Inform games into disks with
interpreters other than A; preferably to inject games of up to 126976
bytes on a single disk, rather than requiring a second disk after only
100896 bytes.  (This value was computed from the size of the interpreter,
16384 bytes.)  The copy of C I have uses a different format for disk 2,
and the copy of F doesn't play nice with my injected code.

You can find the C interpreter on Border Zone and the F interpreter on
Sherlock.  The interpreter (A) that I used came from Beyond Zork.

2. For the above reason I don't know if there's an interpreter that
doesn't explode on quote boxes and prompts that are longer than 1
character.  (It's only 16K - it's probably really tight code.)

-uso.
0
Steve
12/20/2016 8:03:10 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-5, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:
>
> > Those all work great!  The only exception is Moonmist which is the wrong
> > size.  I found one in the Asimov archive that worked except it has a
> > crack screen.  I need to find a Moonmist and Bureaucracy without crack
> > screens now.
>
> Just so happens I backported Bureaucracy today.
>
> http://3.buric.co/bureaucracy-116-870602.zip
>
> I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it does pass the $VERIFY test.
>
> > Any chance Zork: The Undiscovered Underground could be converted to the
> > Apple II?
>
> Yes, with some caveats.
>
> The Z5 vA interpreter, which is the only one I can get working, has
> trouble with Inform games, and the file is just 2K too large for the
> interpreter to allow to fit on one disk even though theoretically it
> should work just fine.
>
> http://3.buric.co/ztuu-16-970828.zip
>
> So... yeah, it can be done, but it won't work 100% correctly.
>
> -uso.

Isn't Bureaucracy two sides?
0
Tempest
12/20/2016 8:28:52 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 3:28:53 PM UTC-5, Tempest wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-5, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:
> >
> > > Those all work great!  The only exception is Moonmist which is the wrong
> > > size.  I found one in the Asimov archive that worked except it has a
> > > crack screen.  I need to find a Moonmist and Bureaucracy without crack
> > > screens now.
> >
> > Just so happens I backported Bureaucracy today.
> >
> > http://3.buric.co/bureaucracy-116-870602.zip
> >
> > I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it does pass the $VERIFY test.
> >
> > > Any chance Zork: The Undiscovered Underground could be converted to the
> > > Apple II?
> >
> > Yes, with some caveats.
> >
> > The Z5 vA interpreter, which is the only one I can get working, has
> > trouble with Inform games, and the file is just 2K too large for the
> > interpreter to allow to fit on one disk even though theoretically it
> > should work just fine.
> >
> > http://3.buric.co/ztuu-16-970828.zip
> >
> > So... yeah, it can be done, but it won't work 100% correctly.
> >
> > -uso.
>
> Isn't Bureaucracy two sides?

And Nord and Bert for that matter.
0
Tempest
12/20/2016 8:34:12 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> Isn't Bureaucracy two sides?

Bureaucracy is 238K.

The zip file I linked contains two sides - bureau1.dsk and bureau2.nib.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/20/2016 9:30:50 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 4:30:52 PM UTC-5, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:
>
> > Isn't Bureaucracy two sides?
>
> Bureaucracy is 238K.
>
> The zip file I linked contains two sides - bureau1.dsk and bureau2.nib.
>
> -uso.

Side 2 is a .nib file.  How do I write that to a real disk using ADT Pro?  It's too big.
0
Tempest
12/20/2016 9:48:49 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 4:30:52 PM UTC-5, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't Bureaucracy two sides?
>>
>> Bureaucracy is 238K.
>>
>> The zip file I linked contains two sides - bureau1.dsk and bureau2.nib.
>>
>> -uso.
>
> Side 2 is a .nib file.  How do I write that to a real disk using ADT
> Pro?  It's too big.

The reason it's a NIB file is because it's 18-sector. (This is true of all
uncracked 2-side Z4 and Z5 disks.)

The stock interpreters for both formats allow for a total game file size
of 256K, by putting 100896 bytes on the first disk and up to 161280 on the
second.  If it were me, though, I'd put 122880 bytes on the first, 139264
on the second, and use 16-sector format throughout - unfortunately as I
didn't write the interpreter I couldn't set its limits :(

-uso.
0
Steve
12/21/2016 8:39:07 AM
Ah ok.  Is there a cracked copy of Nord and Bert?  I didn't see one in Asimov.  Hard to believe no one cracked that one back in the day.
0
Tempest
12/21/2016 1:23:35 PM
> Is there a cracked copy of Nord and Bert?

Yes there is.
Jorma Honkanen gave me the disk images and I cracked it with the help of an article from Computist, full of printing errors!

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/games/adventure/infocom/nord_and_bert/

Look for the "Clean Crack" version

Marco
0
mverpelli
12/21/2016 1:35:15 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> Ah ok.  Is there a cracked copy of Nord and Bert?  I didn't see one in
> Asimov.  Hard to believe no one cracked that one back in the day.

There seems to be a clean, 2xDO version

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It - Side A - INFOCOM - (Clean
Crack).dsk

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It - Side B - INFOCOM - (Clean
Crack).dsk

in images/games/adventure/infocom/nord_and_bert/

It has a modified version of the Z4 version H interpreter.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/21/2016 1:39:49 PM
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 8:39:50 AM UTC-5, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:
>
> > Ah ok.  Is there a cracked copy of Nord and Bert?  I didn't see one in
> > Asimov.  Hard to believe no one cracked that one back in the day.
> >

> There seems to be a clean, 2xDO version
>
> Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It - Side A - INFOCOM - (Clean
> Crack).dsk
>
> Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It - Side B - INFOCOM - (Clean
> Crack).dsk
>
> in images/games/adventure/infocom/nord_and_bert/
>
> It has a modified version of the Z4 version H interpreter.
>
> -uso.

Thanks, I really need to update my files.  I didn't see those in my personal archive, but it's from a few years ago.
0
Tempest
12/21/2016 4:14:48 PM
> Side 2 is a .nib file.  How do I write that to a real disk using ADT Pro?  It's too big.

If you still have problem with the .nib image, download the version cracked by Coast to Coast, then edit track 0 sector 0 bytes FE & FF change from 7C 60 to C8 73.

Marco aka "Men of Low Moral Fiber"
0
mverpelli
12/22/2016 5:40:01 PM
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:40:03 PM UTC-5, mver...@libero.it wrote:
> > Side 2 is a .nib file.  How do I write that to a real disk using ADT Pro?  It's too big.
>
> If you still have problem with the .nib image, download the version cracked by Coast to Coast, then edit track 0 sector 0 bytes FE & FF change from 7C 60 to C8 73.
>
> Marco aka "Men of Low Moral Fiber"

I got the cracked version working.  The crack I have for Bureaucracy has a crack screen at the beginning, but that's the only one (Nord & Bert didn't have one). I can live with that.
0
Tempest
12/22/2016 8:51:46 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:40:03 PM UTC-5, mver...@libero.it wrote:
>>> Side 2 is a .nib file.  How do I write that to a real disk using ADT Pro?  It's too big.
>>
>> If you still have problem with the .nib image, download the version cracked by Coast to Coast, then edit track 0 sector 0 bytes FE & FF change from 7C 60 to C8 73.
>>
>> Marco aka "Men of Low Moral Fiber"
>
> I got the cracked version working.  The crack I have for Bureaucracy has
> a crack screen at the beginning, but that's the only one (Nord & Bert
> didn't have one). I can live with that.

I didn't like the H interpreter because it put too many newlines into the
disk change prompt (petty, I know), but apparently nulling out the extra
newlines seemed to work without a problem...

Anyway, if you use the first 3 tracks from Nord's disk 1 (or
http://3.buric.co/bureauhx.zip which uses my hack on the same interpreter)
then perhaps Bureaucracy can be turned into 2 16-sector disks the same way.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/23/2016 8:31:41 AM
I can try that, although I've never tried my hand at sector editing before.  Interestingly I have a bureaucracy file folder labeled as a clean crack but there are three disks in it so I'm not sure what that's about as I haven't had time to test it.

Honestly one crack screen out of 34 games isn't going to kill me.  I think I'm being picky at this point. :)
0
Tempest
12/23/2016 1:40:42 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Tempest wrote:

> I can try that, although I've never tried my hand at sector editing
> before.  Interestingly I have a bureaucracy file folder labeled as a
> clean crack but there are three disks in it so I'm not sure what that's
> about as I haven't had time to test it.

Probably their solution to the second disk being 18-sector.

-uso.
0
Steve
12/23/2016 5:32:38 PM
> ... 34 games ...

You still miss one, double check your list with this one

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom/info/fact-sheet.txt

Marco
0
mverpelli
12/23/2016 5:39:30 PM
Just a typo on my part.  I've got them all (aside from Fooblitzky which is multiplayer only)
0
Tempest
12/23/2016 6:40:53 PM
I cracked Leather Goddesses of Phobos in 2007. It was the version with the 18-sec on side B. It was one of my first "recent" attempt of cracking it as I was unable to do so in the early 1990s.

Read more @ http://www.hackzapple.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71
I am pretty sure that what I did can be applied to the other 18-sec Infocom titles.

Merry Christmas,
Antoine
0
Antoine
12/23/2016 9:36:04 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Antoine Vignau wrote:

> I cracked Leather Goddesses of Phobos in 2007. It was the version with
> the 18-sec on side B. It was one of my first "recent" attempt of
> cracking it as I was unable to do so in the early 1990s.

Z5 version H...that's a new version to me ;)

I wonder how well it works with Inform games, though I'd have to rejigger
my converter because it requires the interpreter to need the 16/18 layout.

-uso.
0
Steve