What is an AGA? (*not* AMIGA)

Does anybody know what an "Advance Graphics Adapter" is?  Was this for
the CBM PC-Clone line or something strange for the 64/128/16?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4598&item=5155934714

--
-
Pete Rittwage

Clockmeister wrote:
> "Pete Rittwage" <rcade@rittwage.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does anybody know what an "Advance Graphics Adapter" is?  Was this for
>>the CBM PC-Clone line or something strange for the 64/128/16?
>>

> The Commodore AGA adapter was basically a graphics card which was CGA/EGA
> compatible.
>
> Regards,
>
> Clockmeister.

Ah, how boring.  :)

--
-
Pete Rittwage
"Pete Rittwage" <rcade@rittwage.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know what an "Advance Graphics Adapter" is?  Was this for
> the CBM PC-Clone line or something strange for the 64/128/16?

The Commodore AGA adapter was basically a graphics card which was CGA/EGA
compatible.

Regards,

Clockmeister.

0
Clockmeister
1/16/2005 6:02:37 PM
> Ah, how boring.  :)

Yes, and it's not the first time someone tries to sell this very common
and useless driver disc as "unbelievable Rare Find".

0
de
1/16/2005 7:49:58 PM
This could very well be something Amiga but I think it is something for one
of the CBM PC models like the PC-10,20,30 and COLT.

Since these units were stocked with 5.25" drives.
It can also be Amiga since the Amiga 2000 and 3000 had 5.25" disk drives.

Commodore already had CGA/EGA video cards and the disks were labeled as CGA.
AGA is Amiga's Advance Graphics Adaptor. BUT, it is possible that Commodore
made a video card for their PC series that had the AGA from the Amiga. It is
possible that they did this so that their PCs could use Amiga monitors as
well. This is my assumption but there is no AGA adaptor for CGA/EGA. There
PCs come with an ATI card for CGA/EGA?/Hercules and composite video. AGA is
the Amiga video technology but I wouldn't let it pass me that Commodore
could have made an AGA video card/adaptor so that the C= PC could use their
Amiga monitors. It is very well possible. There was no need for CGA/EGA
adapting for their PC line because it already comes stock with that ability.

How do I know the PC-10 comes stock with CGA (EGA???) is that I have a
Commodore PC-10.

"Pete Rittwage" <rcade@rittwage.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know what an "Advance Graphics Adapter" is?  Was this for the
> CBM PC-Clone line or something strange for the 64/128/16?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4598&item=5155934714

0
Rick
1/16/2005 8:44:58 PM

PR> Does anybody know what an "Advance Graphics Adapter" is? Was this
PR> for the CBM PC-Clone line or something strange for the 64/128/16?

That seller is so full of shit. "Up for auction we have one original
Commodore 128D Motherboard. This Motherboard is missing some chips and
is completely untested. Great for tinkering!" At $9.99 it's a bargain!

--
    ___          .     .  .         .       . +  .         .      o
  _|___|_   +   .  +     .     +         .  Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
"Rick Balkins" <rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote in message
> This could very well be something Amiga but I think it is something for
one
> of the CBM PC models like the PC-10,20,30 and COLT.
>
> Since these units were stocked with 5.25" drives.
> It can also be Amiga since the Amiga 2000 and 3000 had 5.25" disk drives.

Not as standard, and they did not have AGA anyway. I already told you what
it is.

> Commodore already had CGA/EGA video cards and the disks were labeled as
CGA.
> AGA is Amiga's Advance Graphics Adaptor. BUT, it is possible that
Commodore
> made a video card for their PC series that had the AGA from the Amiga. It
is
> possible that they did this so that their PCs could use Amiga monitors as
> well. This is my assumption but there is no AGA adaptor for CGA/EGA. There
> PCs come with an ATI card for CGA/EGA?/Hercules and composite video. AGA
is
> the Amiga video technology but I wouldn't let it pass me that Commodore
> could have made an AGA video card/adaptor so that the C= PC could use
their
> Amiga monitors. It is very well possible. There was no need for CGA/EGA
> adapting for their PC line because it already comes stock with that
ability.

Commodore's own CGA/EGA adapter was called the AGA adapter and it predates
AGA on a Amiga by generations.

> How do I know the PC-10 comes stock with CGA (EGA???) is that I have a
> Commodore PC-10.

I had an PC-20 with an AGA card in it.

0
Clockmeister
1/16/2005 10:43:07 PM
"Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Not as standard, and they did not have AGA anyway. I already told you what
> it is.
>
> Commodore's own CGA/EGA adapter was called the AGA adapter and it predates
> AGA on a Amiga by generations.

Ironically the same name. I'll talk your word for it.

> I had an PC-20 with an AGA card in it.

Since I have no way to dispute your claim and anything is possible - I'll
take your word for it.

0
Rick
1/16/2005 11:33:01 PM
Rick Balkins wrote:

>"Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>

>>Not as standard, and they did not have AGA anyway. I already told you what
>>it is.
>>
>>Commodore's own CGA/EGA adapter was called the AGA adapter and it predates
>>AGA on a Amiga by generations.
>>

>Ironically the same name. I'll talk your word for it.
>

>>I had an PC-20 with an AGA card in it.
>>

>Since I have no way to dispute your claim and anything is possible - I'll
>take your word for it.

I thought you were going to leave this newsgroup?  What expertise did
you bring to this thread such that you felt compelled to make an
"authoritative" post?  If you had expertise then you wouldn't have
needed to have this "I'll take your word for it" post.  You wonder why
people get frustrated with you; well this is it!  Please, either go away
(and stay there) or make sure you know what you're talking about before
opening your food flap.

--
Payton Byrd
Homepage - http://www.paytonbyrd.com
"Payton Byrd" <plbyrd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> I thought you were going to leave this newsgroup?  What expertise did you
> bring to this thread such that you felt compelled to make an
> "authoritative" post?  If you had expertise then you wouldn't have needed
> to have this "I'll take your word for it" post.  You wonder why people get
> frustrated with you; well this is it!  Please, either go away (and stay
> there) or make sure you know what you're talking about before opening your
> food flap.

Commodore was known for some strange naming conventions. So there is no 100%
answer.

Doubt that you or that many others are "authorative" or experts of the
Commodore PC series. I probably have more "authorative expertise" by having
a Commodore PC than those who don't.

From my awareness, AGA was the standard used for the video graphics
technology (analog RGB output) used in Amiga computers. Typical Commodore PC
computers used ATI Graphics Solution cards which supported CGA,Hercules,MDA
and Plantronics video modes. It does not make it A) AGA because it is a
"digital" RGB and B) The C-128/128D's VDC is more CGA than AGA. The
C-128/128D is essentially CGA monitor compatible as the monitors were not
"CGA" but just standard digital TTL Monochrome/RGB/Composite RGB monitors.
CGA described the video card not the monitor. The monitor was just a digital
RGB monitor. Amiga's AGA is Analog/Digital RGB. So it would be compatible
with the Analog RGB monitors that supported wider color range capabilities.

I doubt there was ANY AGA cards for Commodore PCs until after the Amiga came
out with AGA. I would not be suprised if Commodore did have an AGA video
card made for their PC line. Since the Commodore PCs were capable of
expansions like the Amiga was but via ISA slots. So an AGA video card on ISA
slots could be possible. I can not confirm that because I did not see ANY
cards for the PC that were AGA.

Why I said that I will take Clockmeister's word for it is - he could very
well have such a card in his PC-20 which came out AFTER Amiga and the card
was probably an upgrade. I estimate the date would have been around
1990/1991 for that card. I assume that the AGA card in clockmeister's PC-20
is an upgrade.

AGA is a proprietary RGB output video technology used by or from Commodore.
Actually, if you wanted to know some facts about AGA, it was the third
generation Amiga video technology and was used in the CD32, Amiga 1200 and
Amiga 4000. This was in the 1990s. It was an upgrade from OCS/ECS system.

0
Rick
1/17/2005 1:41:47 AM

> "Payton Byrd" <plbyrd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> > I thought you were going to leave this newsgroup?  What expertise did
you
> > bring to this thread such that you felt compelled to make an
> > "authoritative" post?  If you had expertise then you wouldn't have
needed
> > to have this "I'll take your word for it" post.  You wonder why people
get
> > frustrated with you; well this is it!  Please, either go away (and stay
> > there) or make sure you know what you're talking about before opening
your
> > food flap.
>
> Commodore was known for some strange naming conventions. So there is no
100%
> answer.

Yes there is and I gave it fucknuckle.

> Doubt that you or that many others are "authorative" or experts of the
> Commodore PC series. I probably have more "authorative expertise" by
having
> a Commodore PC than those who don't.
>
> From my awareness, AGA was the standard used for the video graphics
> technology (analog RGB output) used in Amiga computers. Typical Commodore
PC
> computers used ATI Graphics Solution cards which supported
CGA,Hercules,MDA
> and Plantronics video modes. It does not make it A) AGA because it is a
> "digital" RGB and B) The C-128/128D's VDC is more CGA than AGA. The
> C-128/128D is essentially CGA monitor compatible as the monitors were not
> "CGA" but just standard digital TTL Monochrome/RGB/Composite RGB monitors.
> CGA described the video card not the monitor. The monitor was just a
digital
> RGB monitor. Amiga's AGA is Analog/Digital RGB. So it would be compatible

Commodore's AGA for PC compatibles missed the Amiga's AGA by many years and
the two have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. All the more obvious
when 5.25" drives were not standard on the Amiga (only optional) and they
were standard on the C= PC compatibles.

> with the Analog RGB monitors that supported wider color range
capabilities.

> I doubt there was ANY AGA cards for Commodore PCs until after the Amiga
came
> out with AGA.

Same name for two completely different technologies that had nothing to do
with eachother. Ofcourse the PC AGA cards came out before Amiga's AGA, in
fact the PC AGA cards were around when ECS was the norm on Amiga.

I would not be suprised if Commodore did have an AGA video
> card made for their PC line. Since the Commodore PCs were capable of
> expansions like the Amiga was but via ISA slots. So an AGA video card on
ISA
> slots could be possible. I can not confirm that because I did not see ANY
> cards for the PC that were AGA.

Shut up Rick, you don't have a fucking clue on the subject as usual.

> Why I said that I will take Clockmeister's word for it is - he could very
> well have such a card in his PC-20 which came out AFTER Amiga and the card
> was probably an upgrade. I estimate the date would have been around
> 1990/1991 for that card. I assume that the AGA card in clockmeister's
PC-20
> is an upgrade.

No dumbass, it was a standard C= graphics card that the PC-20 came with.
Nothing to do with Amiga or it's AGA. There was never an Amiga AGA
compatible card for PC's, never ever. Do you comprehend Rick?

> AGA is a proprietary RGB output video technology used by or from
Commodore.
> Actually, if you wanted to know some facts about AGA, it was the third
> generation Amiga video technology and was used in the CD32, Amiga 1200 and
> Amiga 4000. This was in the 1990s. It was an upgrade from OCS/ECS system.

Duh.

0
Clockmeister
1/17/2005 2:15:48 AM
Check the date on this post Rick, you retard.

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=commodore+pc-10+aga&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&selm=5568%40decwrl.DEC.COM&rnum=3

Now STFU.

0
Clockmeister
1/17/2005 2:18:51 AM

> Yes there is and I gave it fucknuckle.

I know that some people have mistakenly called the "ATI Graphics Solution
Adaptor" AGA (because so MANY fuck up and say ATI Graphics Adaptor). It is
not AGA but AGSA if you want to break it down. AGA is not a video standard
except for Amiga.

There is NO AGA video card standard for PC. AGA is an Amiga chipset.

The video card that is in the PC-10, PC-10-ii, PC-20 and so forth are "ATI
GRAPHICS SOLUTIONS ADAPTOR". Some have erroringly called that AGA. From what
you said about the AGA card in the PC-20 you have, it is ACTUALLY an ATI
GRAPHICS SOLUTIONS ADAPTOR. Believe it or not - the specs are on ATI's
website.

It is also IN YOUR PC-20's manual. I think I know the fault of this WHOLE
situation. Now READ your F***ING manual.

> Commodore's AGA for PC compatibles missed the Amiga's AGA by many years
> and
> the two have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. All the more obvious
> when 5.25" drives were not standard on the Amiga (only optional) and they
> were standard on the C= PC compatibles.

AGA video standard for PC, hah. If you are talking about the stock video
card in the Commodore PC-10,10-II and PC-20 - it was an ATI GRAPHICS
SOLUTIONS ADAPTOR (AGSA not AGA but I think I know where people fucked up -
they forgot the word "Solutions" and started calling it ATI Graphics
Adaptor - then AGA for short)

Sorry, I even tried to look for anything on the web and even Googling for
some proof. Now prove your claim. I have more proof of my claim. It is
written in the Commodore PC Operation Guide. Sorry man, I think my Commodore
manual says it. I even looked at the card itself.

What the video card was - (Very advance card back when it first came out)
was a multi-application video adaptor that combined the video functions of
the IBM CGA (Color/Graphics Adaptor), the IBM MDA (Monochrome Display
Adaptor), the Hercules Graphics card and the Plantronics ColorPlus Adaptor
on to a single video card. The ATI Graphics Solution can run color software
on a monochrome monitor in full screen without rebooting the system. It
offered 132 column text in both color and monochrome as well as 640x200
resolution in 16 color.

Now, this was pretty nice for a Commodore PC back in 1985/1986.

> Same name for two completely different technologies that had nothing to do
> with eachother. Ofcourse the PC AGA cards came out before Amiga's AGA, in
> fact the PC AGA cards were around when ECS was the norm on Amiga.

What is its EXACT name for that ancroynm ????? The video card in PC-10s and
20s were ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA would be a poor naming
convention.

> No dumbass, it was a standard C= graphics card that the PC-20 came with.
> Nothing to do with Amiga or it's AGA. There was never an Amiga AGA
> compatible card for PC's, never ever. Do you comprehend Rick?

Sorry, that is ATI Graphics Solutions Adaptor -NOT- AGA. AGA was never used
as an official naming convention by Commodore. They called it like it is.
ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA was an Amiga standard. The AGA test setup
disk was Amiga and was available in both 5.25" disk AND 3.5" disk.

Now, go read your F*CKING manual.

0
Rick
1/17/2005 5:30:39 AM
For those who can't get enough of Rick -

No tricks, just Rick.

"Rick Dares Wins":

http://members.cox.net/c65/rickdareswins.ogg

Warning: Adult Language ( 'F' Bombs )

Rick Balkins wrote:
> [...]
>>with eachother. Ofcourse the PC AGA cards came out before Amiga's AGA, in
>>fact the PC AGA cards were around when ECS was the norm on Amiga.
>

> What is its EXACT name for that ancroynm ????? The video card in PC-10s and
> 20s were ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA would be a poor naming
> convention.
>

>>No dumbass, it was a standard C= graphics card that the PC-20 came with.
>>Nothing to do with Amiga or it's AGA. There was never an Amiga AGA
>>compatible card for PC's, never ever. Do you comprehend Rick?
>

> Sorry, that is ATI Graphics Solutions Adaptor -NOT- AGA. AGA was never used
> as an official naming convention by Commodore. They called it like it is.
> ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA was an Amiga standard. The AGA test setup
> disk was Amiga and was available in both 5.25" disk AND 3.5" disk.

Christian
1/17/2005 8:36:55 AM
Rick Balkins <rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote:

> Sorry, that is ATI Graphics Solutions Adaptor -NOT- AGA. AGA was never used
> as an official naming convention by Commodore. They called it like it is.
> ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA was an Amiga standard. The AGA test setup
> disk was Amiga and was available in both 5.25" disk AND 3.5" disk.

Enough already Rick! You still haven't got a clue.

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?selm=1991May8.182538.1%40wombat.newcastle.edu.au

Now go take your medicine and leave this group alone.

/Laust
0
Laust
1/17/2005 10:03:10 AM
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:41:47 -0800, "Rick Balkins"
<rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote:

>I doubt there was ANY AGA cards for Commodore PCs until after the Amiga came
>out with AGA. I would not be suprised if Commodore did have an AGA video
>card made for their PC line. Since the Commodore PCs were capable of
>expansions like the Amiga was but via ISA slots. So an AGA video card on ISA
>slots could be possible. I can not confirm that because I did not see ANY
>cards for the PC that were AGA.

this is impossible.  first of all by the time the AGA came out
Commodore wasn't making PC's anymore.   In order to have AGA graphics
on a ISA card, you would need a whole AMIGA on the card.  Also Amiga's
didnt use 5 1/2" floppys (technically a small amount of 5 1/4" drives
were sold in the early days but defit not by the time the A1200/4000
came out).

0
Kevin
1/17/2005 3:41:02 PM

> "Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> > Yes there is and I gave it fucknuckle.
>
> I know that some people have mistakenly called the "ATI Graphics Solution
> Adaptor" AGA (because so MANY fuck up and say ATI Graphics Adaptor). It is
> not AGA but AGSA if you want to break it down. AGA is not a video standard
> except for Amiga.

Rubbish, Advanced Graphics Adaptor for Commodore PC's had nothing whatsoever
to do with ATI.

> There is NO AGA video card standard for PC. AGA is an Amiga chipset.

THE PC AGA CARD WAS PRODUCED BY COMMODORE YOU IMBECILE.

PC C= AGA = ADVANCED GRAPHICS ADAPTER
AMIGA AGA = ADVANCED GRAPHICS ARCHITECTURE

Completely different though commonly ands CORRECTLY named AGA.

> The video card that is in the PC-10, PC-10-ii, PC-20 and so forth are "ATI
> GRAPHICS SOLUTIONS ADAPTOR". Some have erroringly called that AGA. From
what
> you said about the AGA card in the PC-20 you have, it is ACTUALLY an ATI

WRONG.

> GRAPHICS SOLUTIONS ADAPTOR. Believe it or not - the specs are on ATI's
> website.

NOTHING TO DO WITH THE C= AGA CARD.

> It is also IN YOUR PC-20's manual. I think I know the fault of this WHOLE
> situation. Now READ your F***ING manual.

GET A CLUE IDIOT THERE IS AN AGA CARD FOR C= PC's THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO
WITH ATI.

> > Commodore's AGA for PC compatibles missed the Amiga's AGA by many years
> > and
> > the two have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. All the more
obvious
> > when 5.25" drives were not standard on the Amiga (only optional) and
they
> > were standard on the C= PC compatibles.
>
> AGA video standard for PC, hah. If you are talking about the stock video
> card in the Commodore PC-10,10-II and PC-20 - it was an ATI GRAPHICS
> SOLUTIONS ADAPTOR (AGSA not AGA but I think I know where people fucked
up -
> they forgot the word "Solutions" and started calling it ATI Graphics
> Adaptor - then AGA for short)

NO IDIOT.

> Sorry, I even tried to look for anything on the web and even Googling for
> some proof. Now prove your claim. I have more proof of my claim. It is
> written in the Commodore PC Operation Guide. Sorry man, I think my
Commodore
> manual says it. I even looked at the card itself.

YOU DON"T HAVE AN AGA CARD.

> What the video card was - (Very advance card back when it first came out)
> was a multi-application video adaptor that combined the video functions of
> the IBM CGA (Color/Graphics Adaptor), the IBM MDA (Monochrome Display
> Adaptor), the Hercules Graphics card and the Plantronics ColorPlus Adaptor
> on to a single video card. The ATI Graphics Solution can run color
software
> on a monochrome monitor in full screen without rebooting the system. It
> offered 132 column text in both color and monochrome as well as 640x200
> resolution in 16 color.
>
> Now, this was pretty nice for a Commodore PC back in 1985/1986.
>
> > Same name for two completely different technologies that had nothing to
do
> > with eachother. Ofcourse the PC AGA cards came out before Amiga's AGA,
in
> > fact the PC AGA cards were around when ECS was the norm on Amiga.
>
> What is its EXACT name for that ancroynm ????? The video card in PC-10s
and
> 20s were ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA would be a poor naming
> convention.

NOT THE SAME THING.

> > No dumbass, it was a standard C= graphics card that the PC-20 came with.
> > Nothing to do with Amiga or it's AGA. There was never an Amiga AGA
> > compatible card for PC's, never ever. Do you comprehend Rick?
>
> Sorry, that is ATI Graphics Solutions Adaptor -NOT- AGA. AGA was never
used
> as an official naming convention by Commodore. They called it like it is.
> ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA was an Amiga standard. The AGA test
setup
> disk was Amiga and was available in both 5.25" disk AND 3.5" disk.

NOPE, BECAUSE THE AMIGA AGA MACHINES DIDN"T COME WITH 5.25" DRIVES.

> Now, go read your F*CKING manual.

FUCK OFF BALKINS YOU RETARD.

0
Clockmeister
1/17/2005 3:47:42 PM
"Laust Brock-Nannestad" <laustbn@diku.dk.invalid> wrote in message
> Rick Balkins <rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, that is ATI Graphics Solutions Adaptor -NOT- AGA. AGA was never
>> used
>> as an official naming convention by Commodore. They called it like it is.
>> ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor. AGA was an Amiga standard. The AGA test
>> setup
>> disk was Amiga and was available in both 5.25" disk AND 3.5" disk.
>
> Enough already Rick! You still haven't got a clue.
>
> http://groups.google.com.au/groups?selm=1991May8.182538.1%40wombat.newcastle.edu.au
>
> Now go take your medicine and leave this group alone.

AGA may mean "ATA Graphic Adaptors" in short but THERE is NO Advance
Graphics Adaptor for PC. It is JUST an ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor which
WAS nothing more than a CGA card. Your google messages that you sent are
errornous by the users. The book and the card itself says ATI Graphics
Solutions and EVEN ATI's website. Get a clue.

You are just trying to feed bullshit. The stock video card is ATI Graphics
Solution Adaptor. I may conceed to something like Commodore fucking up or
deciding to save letters on the disk label and ancroynm the ATI Graphics
Solutions Adaptor to AGA but it is not a video standard of its own. AGA is
strictly Amiga.

Come up with a better and more solid proof.

Show me more sources than just a simple googling of Newsgroup posts by
users. Show me more proof. Like show me proof of AGA for PC. There got to be
some source for that. The video card that is in the PC-10 and 20 is a CGA
video card from ATI that supported MDA, Hercules and Plantronics and
composite video ontop of CGA. It is not AGA. As I said, show me real proof
not some other person's claim. Show me proof. Show me proof that if they did
typed AGA to reduce letter count on the disk label instead of typing ATI
Graphics Solutions adaptor or ATI graphics adaptors. Show me official proof
that the AGA meant Advance Graphics Adaptor or Advance Graphics
Architecture. Show me official proof that it meant ANYTHING such as a video
standard for PC. Remember guys, the video card in the Commodore PC was not
only limited to Commodore.

0
Rick
1/17/2005 5:53:45 PM

> Rubbish, Advanced Graphics Adaptor for Commodore PC's had nothing
> whatsoever
> to do with ATI.
>
>> There is NO AGA video card standard for PC. AGA is an Amiga chipset.
>
> THE PC AGA CARD WAS PRODUCED BY COMMODORE YOU IMBECILE.
>
> PC C= AGA = ADVANCED GRAPHICS ADAPTER
> AMIGA AGA = ADVANCED GRAPHICS ARCHITECTURE

Your best bet is "Commodore Advanced Graphics Adapter" is really just an ATI
Graphics Solution that Commodore "named" but it is NOT a video standard. I
will only conceed that Commodore called the ATI Graphics Solution card that
is packaged the "Commodore Advanced Graphics Adapter". That is ALL. Beyond
that, it is JUST a re-labeled by Commodore of a standard video card.

That is just some F*CK UP on Commodore's behalf. But the AGA would be just
Commodore relabeling/renaming the ATI Graphics Solutions card as Commodore
Advanced Graphics Adapter on the disk. If anything, it is an error or just
some wierd oddity by Commodore. That is ALL I can say in this respect.

I can say that the software may have very well been the "Mode-switching
software" for the ATI Graphics Solutions card - relabelled as "Advanced
Graphics Adapter". That is probably the best. It is NOT a unique video
standard. It was just an ATI graphics card disk. Of course, we can't be
suprised of the oddities of Commodore.

Your best bet is Commodore "Advanced Graphics Adapter" = ATI Graphics
Solution.

Other than that AGA means the Amiga video standard. That is ALL I will
conceed too.
But there was NEVER an AGA video standard for PC.

0
Rick
1/17/2005 6:39:14 PM
Rick Balkins <rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote:

> AGA may mean "ATA Graphic Adaptors" in short but THERE is NO Advance
> Graphics Adaptor for PC. It is JUST an ATI Graphics Solution Adaptor which
> WAS nothing more than a CGA card. Your google messages that you sent are
> errornous by the users. The book and the card itself says ATI Graphics
> Solutions and EVEN ATI's website. Get a clue.

I'm not surprised you miss the point completely, but I mentioned that message
as it shows that the configuration utility for Commodore's *PC* graphics card
was called VSET. Are you still going to argue it's an Amiga disk being sold
on eBay? And for that matter, if we're into providing proof here, how about
backing up your statement that Commodore provided Amiga AGA drivers on 5.25"
floppies (a ludicrous thought considering almost all Amiga were born with
3.5" drives, with 5.25" being an optional extra) - or did you just make that
up as you went along?

[rest of the crap snipped]

Now go take your medicine and leave this group alone.

/Laust
0
Laust
1/17/2005 6:40:33 PM
"Kevin" <remover #'s : #kev242@gmail.#com> wrote in message

> this is impossible.  first of all by the time the AGA came out
> Commodore wasn't making PC's anymore.   In order to have AGA graphics
> on a ISA card, you would need a whole AMIGA on the card.  Also Amiga's
> didnt use 5 1/2" floppys (technically a small amount of 5 1/4" drives
> were sold in the early days but defit not by the time the A1200/4000
> came out).

Ok, I will conceed that AGA as in "Advanced Graphics Adapter" = ATI Graphics
Solution because Commodore did not make the video cards for the PC series.
They may have re-labeled the name but that is all. Other than that AGA is
Amiga.

0
Rick
1/17/2005 6:42:09 PM

> I'm not surprised you miss the point completely, but I mentioned that
> message
> as it shows that the configuration utility for Commodore's *PC* graphics
> card
> was called VSET. Are you still going to argue it's an Amiga disk being
> sold
> on eBay? And for that matter, if we're into providing proof here, how
> about
> backing up your statement that Commodore provided Amiga AGA drivers on
> 5.25"
> floppies (a ludicrous thought considering almost all Amiga were born with
> 3.5" drives, with 5.25" being an optional extra) - or did you just make
> that
> up as you went along?

Ok, I will say that Commodore "renamed" the ATI Graphics Solution card as
the "Advanced Graphics Adapter". Then yes, this could be for the PC. What I
will continue to defend is that it is not a new video mode. There is no AGA
graphics format. What it is is just a name Commodore gaved to the ATI cards
that were packaged with it.

This would be more the right answer if you were going to give the right
answer. Commodore being silly and renaming a typical ATI Graphics Solutions
card. What Clockmeister was saying is that there was an AGA card like VGA
card. Suggesting a video mode. There was NO AGA video cards. Just a name
Commodore labeled to an ATI Graphics Solutions card which was a CGA/MDA
card.

Now, I'll suggest that would be the right answer. AGA or Advanced Graphics
Adapter is just a renamed ATI Graphics Solutions
CGA/MDA/Hercules/Plantronics/Composite video card. That is ALL it is. He
suggested by word context that it was some CGA/EGA like video standard that
was by Commodore. Commodore did not make ANY video cards for the PC. It was
just a licensed ATI card. That is the answer.

Lets move on.

0
Rick
1/18/2005 12:23:36 AM
"Rick Balkins" <rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote in message

<snippy snippy>

>That is the answer.
>
> Lets move on.

Everyone relax! Rick has given us the answer! Please continue your normal
lives and relish in the thought that we all know a little more today, thanks
to Rick. Halleluiah!

</sarcasm>

0
Teknical
1/18/2005 12:28:30 AM
Teknical wrote:
> "Rick Balkins" <rickbalkins@wavestarinteractive.com> wrote in message
>

> <snippy snippy>
>
>>That is the answer.
>>
>>Lets move on.
>>

> Everyone relax! Rick has given us the answer! Please continue your normal
> lives and relish in the thought that we all know a little more today, thanks
> to Rick. Halleluiah!
>
> </sarcasm>

Here we go. I got it now.

http://members.cox.net/c65/THATISTHEANSWER.ogg

I love you, Rick - and I'm not gay.

Sorry guys.

0
Christian
1/18/2005 1:20:01 AM
"Rick Balkins" wrote ...

> Now, go read your F*CKING manual.

How does a manual do that?  I have never seen any of my manuals trying to
mate.  Maybe they just do that when everyone is out of the room?  Maybe they
do it in front of Rick because they don't consider him as human.    ;-)
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

0
Sam
1/18/2005 5:32:42 AM
"Sam Gillett" <samgillettnospam@diespammermsn.com> wrote in message

> "Rick Balkins" wrote ...
>>
>> Now, go read your F*CKING manual.
>
> How does a manual do that?  I have never seen any of my manuals trying to
> mate.  Maybe they just do that when everyone is out of the room?  Maybe
> they
> do it in front of Rick because they don't consider him as human.    ;-)

lol!!!!

Well, I was waiting for someone to say something like that.

Anyway - whatever the case is - I can conceed that Commodore
relabeled/renamed the ATI Graphics Solution card as the "Commodore Advanced
Graphics Adaptor" in the usual oddity Commodore has. But there is NO special
AGA video standard for the PC at the time as there is NO such Commodore made
Graphics card for the Commodore PC. It was just an ATI Graphics Solutions
Adaptor. Commodore did not make PC video cards at that time. That is why I
suggested that there may possibly have been a rare AGA video card for the
PC. I never seen one so it isn't entirely impossible as Commodore still was
making PCs all the way into 1993/1994. They were 386 laptop and even a 486
laptop PC.

Even 386 desktops like the SL 386SX which was available in the 1990s.

For those who claim that there wasn't Commodore PCs in the Amiga 1200/4000
era (AGA era) then you SERIOUSLY need to look at this site:
http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/
Look for the PC line. In fact, the only thing still in production by
Commodore after 1994 was the Amigas and the PCs and maybe the 128/128D.

In fact between the Amiga and PC, those were the only things still bringing
in revenue to Commodore at the time.

So I would not have been suprised if Commodore did decide to make an AGA
card for the PC series. I can also agree if there never was one either.

0
Rick
1/18/2005 6:39:44 AM

> "Sam Gillett" <samgillettnospam@diespammermsn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick Balkins" wrote ...
> >>
> >> Now, go read your F*CKING manual.
> >
> > How does a manual do that?  I have never seen any of my manuals trying
> > mate.  Maybe they just do that when everyone is out of the room?  Maybe
> > they
> > do it in front of Rick because they don't consider him as human.    ;-)
>
> lol!!!!
>
> Well, I was waiting for someone to say something like that.
>
> Anyway - whatever the case is - I can conceed that Commodore
> relabeled/renamed the ATI Graphics Solution card as the "Commodore
> Graphics Adaptor" in the usual oddity Commodore has. But there is NO
special
> AGA video standard for the PC at the time as there is NO such Commodore
made
> Graphics card for the Commodore PC.

It was made to Commodore specifications, and as such they could label it
whatever they like. In Europe, the Commodore AGA card was very well known as
a graphics card with certain features available for C= PC's.

 It was just an ATI Graphics Solutions
> Adaptor. Commodore did not make PC video cards at that time. That is why I
> suggested that there may possibly have been a rare AGA video card for the
> PC.

Impossible.

I never seen one so it isn't entirely impossible as Commodore still was
> making PCs all the way into 1993/1994. They were 386 laptop and even a 486
> laptop PC.

Irrelevant.

> Even 386 desktops like the SL 386SX which was available in the 1990s.

Irrelevant.

> For those who claim that there wasn't Commodore PCs in the Amiga 1200/4000
> era (AGA era) then you SERIOUSLY need to look at this site:
> http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/

No-one suggested any such thing. There was no Amiga AGA when the Commodore
AGA card was available. By the time Amiga came out with AGA the Commodore PC
AGA card was a relic.

> Look for the PC line. In fact, the only thing still in production by
> Commodore after 1994 was the Amigas and the PCs and maybe the 128/128D.

Irrelevant.

> In fact between the Amiga and PC, those were the only things still
bringing
> in revenue to Commodore at the time.

Duh, how about stating the obvious.

> So I would not have been suprised if Commodore did decide to make an AGA
> card for the PC series. I can also agree if there never was one either.

Ofcourse there wasn't one. AGA on Amiga is completely incompatible with the
PC architecture.

0
Clockmeister