HP48GX won't turn on

The batteries have been dead for around 10 days. Tried putting alkalines in
(London Drugs store brand), won't work. Tried Energizer NiMH+ batteries,
won't work. Is there a backup battery that probably drained? Thanks.

Donald

0
Don
4/12/2004 5:13:59 PM
comp.sys.hp48 9763 articles. 3 followers. fbarbaise (60) is leader. Post Follow

Don <fake@fake.com> wrote:
> The batteries have been dead for around 10 days. Tried putting alkalines in
> (London Drugs store brand), won't work. Tried Energizer NiMH+ batteries,
> won't work. Is there a backup battery that probably drained? Thanks.

No, there's no backup battery (unless you have RAM cards installed, which
have their own batteries, but that shouldn't make any difference here).
It's not unusual for HP calculators to lock up when batteries go dead.
Have you tried the "paper clip reset" (also known as "rubber-foot reset")?
In case you don't know how:

(1) Make sure fresh batteries are installed.

(2) Turn the calculator face down with the battery compartment at
    the bottom and the RAM slot cover at the top.  Remove the top right
    rubber foot.  (It's just a plug that fills a rather deep hole,
    and it's just pressed in, not glued in, so it should be easy to
    pry it out with your fingernail.)  At the bottom of the hole you
    should see another small hole with an "R" (for "Reset") next to it.
    (Actually, *all* the rubber feet have these little holes under them
    but only one has an "R" next to it.  On all the calculators I've
    seen the reset hole is under the top-right foot.)

(3) Stick the end of a paper clip in the hole until it reaches the bottom,
    then press gently (you may feel it "give" a little) and remove the
    paper clip.  If nothing happens in 10 or 15 seconds, then try turning
    the calculator on again.

This usually brings a 48 "back to life" from a dead-battery lockup.
It should not clear the memory, though it may already have been cleared
due to having no source of electricity to maintain it for so long.

--
Wayne Brown  (HPCC #1104)  | "When your tail's in a crack, you improvise
fwbrown@bellsouth.net      |  if you're good enough.  Otherwise you give
                           |  your pelt to the trapper."
"e^(i*pi) = -1"  -- Euler  |           -- John Myers Myers, "Silverlock"
0
Wayne
4/12/2004 6:34:27 PM
Still not working...

Definitely not the batteries

It didn't happen the last time but that's because I changed the batteries as
soon as the batteries ran low.

0
Don