Best way to connect to AS400

What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.

I know I can connect using ODBC driver for .Net but I know it is quite
slow, but I'm not aware of the speed of a JDBC driver connecting to
the AS400. Depending on which way is more efficient will decide which
language I will be programming my apps in. If there are any other
suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you for the advice.
0
jconnor (31)
4/13/2004 9:03:20 PM
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

The .NET & ODBC drivers are going to perform the same as the JDBC driver.  What
you need to do is look at your application design and how sound your indexing
strategy is.  This is covered in the iSeries SQL Performance Workshop.  Goto the
DB2 UDB for iSeries website for more information (ibm.com/iseries/db2)

--
Kent Milligan, DB2 & BI team
PartnerWorld for Developers, iSeries

Bob

jconnor@as400support.com (J Connor) wrote in message news:<a1baec47.0404131303.7fc93bb1@posting.google.com>...
> What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
> the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.
>
> I know I can connect using ODBC driver for .Net but I know it is quite
> slow, but I'm not aware of the speed of a JDBC driver connecting to
> the AS400. Depending on which way is more efficient will decide which
> language I will be programming my apps in. If there are any other
> suggestions, please let me know.
>
> Thank you for the advice.
0
db2team (22)
4/15/2004 6:02:13 AM
You may want to take a look at our ASP/400 iSeries data provider software
which can be used to provide high-speed access to iSeries data from any
Microsoft IIS/ASP web site.

You can do record level access, call existing programs with parms, submit
remote commands and more.

Feel free to contact me directly with specific questions or check out our
web site and download a FREE demo of the ASP/400 software.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"The AS/400 and iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts"
Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com

"J Connor" <jconnor@as400support.com> wrote in message
> What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
> the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.
>
> I know I can connect using ODBC driver for .Net but I know it is quite
> slow, but I'm not aware of the speed of a JDBC driver connecting to
> the AS400. Depending on which way is more efficient will decide which
> language I will be programming my apps in. If there are any other
> suggestions, please let me know.
>
> Thank you for the advice.

> What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
> the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.

The most efficient solution is to use the jt400 open java toolkit.

Another way is to get the very last beta .net managed drivers,
BUT this is only for connecting to databases, so not for running
programs or manage your iSeries.

Anyway, with the jt400 open toolkit you can almost do everything
on your iseries on java.

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jt400/

Best Regards,

Patrick