why so difficult to get IBM BP quote on IBM i systems?

I am getting nowhere asking different business partners for quotes on
the following IBM i edition Power systems:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/bladecenter/hardware/servers/js12/799860xi.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/520/configs/9407m151i.html

From each BP I am dealing with I ask for the quote and get back
something which is twice the price. Some provide detailed pricing,
others say IBM does not allow details to be quoted.

When I call IBM directly and ask questions like what is the difference
between versions of the BCS chassis, I am told I have to ask the BP.
Problem is the BP's that can answer questions want to charge list
price, while the ones who cant/dont offer a decent discount.

I understand the BP system and full service vs discount.  Just dont
follow why what the IBM web site describes so specifically and
understandibly is translated by all the BPs into a higher priced
muddle.

-Steve
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

ibm business partners must have a valid "value-add" to discuss
anything but list prices with a end user.  they also must have this
"value-add" as the main reason the end user is dealing with them.

we'd be happy to try and assist you on your needs, provided our rules
allow.

www.michsoft.com

adecenter/hardware/servers/js12/79986...http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/=
hardware/520/configs/9407m151i.html

> From each BP I am dealing with I ask for the quote and get back
> something which is twice the price. Some provide detailed pricing,
> others say IBM does not allow details to be quoted.
>
> When I call IBM directly and ask questions like what is the difference
> between versions of the BCS chassis, I am told I have to ask the BP.
> Problem is the BP's that can answer questions want to charge list
> price, while the ones who cant/dont offer a decent discount.
>
> I understand the BP system and full service vs discount. =A0Just dont
> follow why what the IBM web site describes so specifically and
> understandibly is translated by all the BPs into a higher priced
> muddle.
>
> -Steve

0
jhl2815 (102)
5/23/2008 2:34:19 AM
On May 22, 10:34=A0pm, JHL <j...@michsoft.com> wrote:
> ibm business partners must have a valid "value-add" to discuss
> anything but list prices with a end user. =A0they also must have this
> "value-add" as the main reason the end user is dealing with them.

which is not fair to the customer in that when I call IBM directly and
ask product related questions, they tell me I have to ask a business
partner.  If the BP is supposed to add on to the order, then it seems
the customer has to pay extra just to get product questions answered.

-Steve