2016 c.s.i.p.g.a Games Give-Away Advent Calendar - Day 20

Ho-ho-ho!

Is there anyone there? Is there anyone listening? Am I talking into a
void? Has everyone vanished? How appropriate, if so! Because today's
game is:

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
------------------------------------

"Vanishing" is one of these new-fangled "narrative" games, a.k.a.
"walking sims" which sprung into newfound prominence a few years ago.
While I am a fan of the concept, too often the actual results were
lacking in both compelling narrative and gameplay, with a scant few
exceptions. "Vanishing" is, alas, not one of these exceptions. Its
gameplay is dreary and its story is sophomoric. But god, the
environments and setting are STUNNING. It is probably one of the most
gorgeous games available and it is worth experiencing just for the
graphics alone (it does a pretty good job on mood too).

Platform: Windows PC
Distributor: Steam
Key: H6IM6-ZENDG-CTI8Z

(Of course, if you've all vanished, who's gonna use this key? Oh, who
am I kidding, it's gonna be Mike S again ;-)

Ho-ho-ho!

0
Spalls
12/20/2016 2:43:50 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:43:50 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Ho-ho-ho!
>
>Is there anyone there? Is there anyone listening? Am I talking into a
>void? Has everyone vanished? How appropriate, if so! Because today's
>game is:
>
>The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
>------------------------------------
>
>"Vanishing" is one of these new-fangled "narrative" games, a.k.a.
>"walking sims" which sprung into newfound prominence a few years ago.
>While I am a fan of the concept, too often the actual results were
>lacking in both compelling narrative and gameplay, with a scant few
>exceptions. "Vanishing" is, alas, not one of these exceptions. Its
>gameplay is dreary and its story is sophomoric. But god, the
>environments and setting are STUNNING. It is probably one of the most
>gorgeous games available and it is worth experiencing just for the
>graphics alone (it does a pretty good job on mood too).
>
>Platform: Windows PC
>Distributor: Steam
>Key: H6IM6-ZENDG-CTI8Z
>
>(Of course, if you've all vanished, who's gonna use this key? Oh, who
>am I kidding, it's gonna be Mike S again ;-)
>
>Ho-ho-ho!

Thanks Spalls. I'm the winner this time. Merry Christmas, dude.

Any idea what this "redux" version is all about?

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
0
Zaghadka
12/20/2016 2:55:39 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 08:55:39 -0600, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Zaghadka wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:43:50 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

>>(Of course, if you've all vanished, who's gonna use this key? Oh, who
>>am I kidding, it's gonna be Mike S again ;-)
>>
>>Ho-ho-ho!
>>

>Thanks Spalls. I'm the winner this time. Merry Christmas, dude.
>
>Any idea what this "redux" version is all about?

Googled it. Unreal Engine 4. Thanks for the cool gift!

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
0
Zaghadka
12/20/2016 3:28:24 PM
Rats. I'm too slow!

--
Happy Holidays/Season's Greetings/Merry Christmas/Etc. :)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:43:50 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>Is there anyone there? Is there anyone listening? Am I talking into a
>>void? Has everyone vanished? How appropriate, if so! Because today's
>>game is:

>>The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

>>(Of course, if you've all vanished, who's gonna use this key? Oh, who
>>am I kidding, it's gonna be Mike S again ;-)

>Thanks Spalls. I'm the winner this time. Merry Christmas, dude.

But... but... you're not MikeS! I'm so confused!

>Any idea what this "redux" version is all about?

It was a re-release of the game using the Unreal 4 engine (the
original used Unreal 3). Functionally, there is very little different;
a few extra light beams here and there and some cloth-physics blowing
in the wind, but I was hard pressed to see any real difference.

Enjoy!

0
Spalls
12/21/2016 2:19:47 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:19:47 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>But... but... you're not MikeS! I'm so confused!

I am not always at my desk when I need to be! :-P

Seriously, I got a free game from Zag not too long ago. Glad he got
this one. He can get Shadowrun Returns too if he is fast enough....

And there is Metal Guru who I have also gotten a bunch of free games
thanks to his posts. Wouldn't mind seeing him get it either.
0
Mike
12/21/2016 2:37:13 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:37:13 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Mike
S. wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:19:47 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>But... but... you're not MikeS! I'm so confused!
>
>I am not always at my desk when I need to be! :-P
>
>Seriously, I got a free game from Zag not too long ago. Glad he got
>this one. He can get Shadowrun Returns too if he is fast enough....
>
>And there is Metal Guru who I have also gotten a bunch of free games
>thanks to his posts. Wouldn't mind seeing him get it either.

Aw, thanks Mike. Someone else can have Shadowrun Returns, that sucker's
in my backlog. I have a ridiculous game collecting problem. I just bought
DE: Mankind Divided yesterday, can't resist those big sales, and I don't
even know that I'm gonna play it!

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
0
Zaghadka
12/21/2016 4:07:26 PM
Am 21.12.16 um 17:07 schrieb Zaghadka:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:37:13 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Mike
> S. wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:19:47 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But... but... you're not MikeS! I'm so confused!
>>
>> I am not always at my desk when I need to be! :-P
>>
>> Seriously, I got a free game from Zag not too long ago. Glad he got
>> this one. He can get Shadowrun Returns too if he is fast enough....
>>
>> And there is Metal Guru who I have also gotten a bunch of free games
>> thanks to his posts. Wouldn't mind seeing him get it either.
>
> Aw, thanks Mike. Someone else can have Shadowrun Returns, that sucker's
> in my backlog. I have a ridiculous game collecting problem. I just bought
> DE: Mankind Divided yesterday, can't resist those big sales, and I don't
> even know that I'm gonna play it!

Pretty much the same here. My games list on Steam is about 500 games and
I have played about 10-15% of those games.
Add to that a Wii-U with a best of collection an PS3 which I bought
cheaply with a best of collection and a PS4 and I have a backlog which
should last me until my retirement in about 20 years or so.
DE mankind divided was skipped by me atm, because I tend to buy games on
the cheap to save money. I just recently bought GTA-V half price. I
cannot remember the last time I paid full price for a game. After one
year the games usually are at least half price after 2-3 years they hit
the bargain bin.

0
Werner
12/21/2016 4:56:34 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 17:56:34 +0100, Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 21.12.16 um 17:07 schrieb Zaghadka:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:37:13 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Mike
>> S. wrote:

>>> I am not always at my desk when I need to be! :-P
>>>
>>> Seriously, I got a free game from Zag not too long ago. Glad he got
>>> this one. He can get Shadowrun Returns too if he is fast enough....
>>>
>>> And there is Metal Guru who I have also gotten a bunch of free games
>>> thanks to his posts. Wouldn't mind seeing him get it either.
>>
>> Aw, thanks Mike. Someone else can have Shadowrun Returns, that sucker's
>> in my backlog. I have a ridiculous game collecting problem. I just bought
>> DE: Mankind Divided yesterday, can't resist those big sales, and I don't
>> even know that I'm gonna play it!
>>
>Pretty much the same here. My games list on Steam is about 500 games and
>I have played about 10-15% of those games.
>Add to that a Wii-U with a best of collection an PS3 which I bought
>cheaply with a best of collection and a PS4 and I have a backlog which
>should last me until my retirement in about 20 years or so.
>DE mankind divided was skipped by me atm, because I tend to buy games on
>the cheap to save money. I just recently bought GTA-V half price. I
>cannot remember the last time I paid full price for a game. After one
>year the games usually are at least half price after 2-3 years they hit
>the bargain bin.

Mankind Divided is on sale on Steam for about $20 right now.

--
Zag

Sent from my slow-ass Toshiba Laptop
0
Zaghadka
12/21/2016 5:04:08 PM
Am 21.12.16 um 18:04 schrieb Zaghadka:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 17:56:34 +0100, Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> Am 21.12.16 um 17:07 schrieb Zaghadka:

>>> Aw, thanks Mike. Someone else can have Shadowrun Returns, that sucker's
>>> in my backlog. I have a ridiculous game collecting problem. I just bought
>>> DE: Mankind Divided yesterday, can't resist those big sales, and I don't
>>> even know that I'm gonna play it!
>>>
>> Pretty much the same here. My games list on Steam is about 500 games and
>> I have played about 10-15% of those games.
>> Add to that a Wii-U with a best of collection an PS3 which I bought
>> cheaply with a best of collection and a PS4 and I have a backlog which
>> should last me until my retirement in about 20 years or so.
>> DE mankind divided was skipped by me atm, because I tend to buy games on
>> the cheap to save money. I just recently bought GTA-V half price. I
>> cannot remember the last time I paid full price for a game. After one
>> year the games usually are at least half price after 2-3 years they hit
>> the bargain bin.
>>

> Mankind Divided is on sale on Steam for about $20 right now.

Excellent thanks.

Werner

0
Werner
12/21/2016 5:20:46 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 17:56:34 +0100, Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Pretty much the same here. My games list on Steam is about 500 games and
>I have played about 10-15% of those games.

Huh. That's close to my "not-played" score; I've yet to play 14.66% of
all my video games. Of course, that's for all my video games, not just
the games in my Steam catalog (calculating just for Steam would take
too much work).

I fully expect that number to go up, however. I'm a sucker for any
game that drops below the $5 mark (and I might as well have a script
that automatically purchases any game that drops below $1 :-). All of
which may explain this year's holiday largess.

0
Spalls