Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores?

I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

0
sdes (1)
4/18/2006 7:38:07 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Noticed this sort of pushing the PC to smaller further-back  shelves in most
UK stores for a year or 2 ..can only get worse ;)
Mouse
@@@@

0
nospam6021 (501)
4/18/2006 8:11:12 PM
"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Yes. Tracking an anticipated game from going gold and shipping is largely an
exercise in frustration. Best Buy always has it a week "late" (from my
perspective), and EB is prettymuch just as bad. Ok, EB had Oblivion quick,
but even then, they got 2 collector's edition and 4 regular for the PC -
they got about 100 for the x-box 360. And *forget* anything but an A-List
title getting there quick. It took my local EB about 3 weeks after release
to get Knights of Honor (ok, it wasn't worth the anticipation, but still, 3
weeks?)

Online delivery of these games can't come fast enough for me. I bought Gal
Civ 2 that way, and it was great - I saw the game, I wanted it, and I was
playing in an hour. The stores around me didn't get it for at least a week
after release.

"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the
PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Nope.

Out of the last 10 PC games or so, the only one I had trouble finding was
Civ IV, and that was because it was sold out in most places.

Funnily enough, I had Gal Civ 2 pre-ordered, but found it at Walmart, first.

0
jer216 (15)
4/18/2006 10:47:43 PM
"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new
> PC release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes
> like a week before the Best Buys and EBs have it.

I gave up trying/waiting to find TR Legend last week and ended up over the
weekend buying a downloadable version from ign's direct2drive.com.  First
time I've done that.

I was just in both Best Buy and Target at lunchtime today and both *still*
don't have TRL, now a full week since release.
0
nospam8072 (337)
4/18/2006 11:42:23 PM
"jwb" <jwb3333take--me-out@excite.com> wrote in

> Best Buy always has it a week
> "late" (from my perspective), and EB is prettymuch just as bad. Ok, EB
> had Oblivion quick, but even then, they got 2 collector's edition and
> 4 regular for the PC - they got about 100 for the x-box 360.

The day Godfather was released (which was the day immediately after
Oblivion was released), I was in Target and noticed that they had Godfather
for the PC, but didn't have Oblivion for the PC.  But they had Oblivion for
xbox360, but didn't have Godfather for the xbox360.  Weird.
0
nospam8072 (337)
4/18/2006 11:48:29 PM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 +0000, Kyle Rodgers wrote:

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the
> PC games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on
> the 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Not a problem with major releases like Tomb Raider Legend or Oblivion.
But just try to find a new adventure game or lesser known RPG. Maybe 20%
of the time they'll actually get one in anywhere near the release date.
It's faster just to order online.

0
nospam21 (19047)
4/19/2006 12:24:29 AM
Most people here seem to be in North America or UK & some other west
Euro....I would like to know if the situation with decreasing PC games
availabilty and sales is same-as right around the world ???
I would guess that a games sales success  (and there for future releases) is
down to overall/world wide sales ..
I get the impression that Japan goes its own way in many respects ...do they
'like' PC gaming ???
Mouse
@@@@

0
nospam6021 (501)
4/19/2006 1:52:20 AM
"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Local conditions seem to apply then.   I live in the Houston area, and here
PC games are very much in demand.  Every bit as much as the console games.
I see the Nintendo and Mac games on the same shelf here.  A small one.
XBox/360, PS2 and PC games seem to vie for equal space in the EBGames,
GameStops, Circuit City, Best Buy, Frys here.   Stores cater to demand and
survive.
McG.

0
McGrandpaNOT (866)
4/19/2006 2:15:40 AM
Trimble Bracegirdle <NOspam@spam.not> wrote:
> Most people here seem to be in North America or UK & some other west
> Euro....I would like to know if the situation with decreasing PC games
> availabilty and sales is same-as right around the world ???
> I would guess that a games sales success  (and there for future releases) is
> down to overall/world wide sales ..

"Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.

The small locally-owned-and-run games stores seem to have disappeared,
so I'm not seeing much point to going to a physical store for games
any more -- just order online.  No trying to find stuff in a cramped
space chock full of teenage boys *and* you're more likely to actually
get what you wanted.

Matt

0
matt118 (6)
4/19/2006 2:40:03 AM
I agree with prior posters' comments about Best Buy and EB games. According
to a salesman at a Scottsdale EB, most of their stores in the area don't
carry "new" games for the PC. The few that they do have are the FPSs and
RPGs and they are relegated to a small area on a back wall. I check Best Buy
online for newer games by store location, then buzz over to that store
before they're gone. They don't get many of them in. I snagged "Scratches" -
one of 3 copies they had for sale. Both of our local Bookmans, once a place
I could count on to carry a decent selection of used adventure games, are
devoting more and more space to console games. Target has a smattering and,
if you keep your eye out, they tend to mark them down comparatively fast. I
just got Myst V today for $13.98. Fry's has a few adventure games, but I've
not seen newer ones on a consistent basis. Finding adventure games for the
PC is becoming as challenging as playing them :). Lynne, in Phoenix, AZ.

"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

0
sophieaz (1)
4/19/2006 2:51:27 AM
    In my area at least, it all depends on the store. The Best Buy less than
a mile from where I live does not stock many PC games at all and really,
doesn't have that large of a console section either. They concentrate most
of their floor space on appliances, CDs, DVDs, cell phone stuff, XM, TVs and
computers. The Best Buy about a half hour away that I also go to on occasion
has twice the floor space for both PC and console games because they're
located in a more affluent community with more kids that have disposable
income for games as well as music. They don't have nearly the amount of
floor space for appliances allocated.
    I can't speak about EB Games because we don't have one located near me.
I didn't like the trade-in prices there either when I have gone to them in
other cities, so I go to a local "mom and pop" video game store for my
console buying. That store concentrates a lot on the Japanese games and
anime which I'm not into, but they almost always have the FPS and sports
titles I want for PS2. I recently went to Game Crazy and enjoyed the
experience.
    Unfortunately where I live the USPS delivery sucks (thus my thread about
Gamefly) so online ordering unless I can actually download the PC game, is a
risky proposition. (Except for SWAT, I haven't seen a PC game I wanted that
I could download though.) This USPS problem is doubly bad because previously
I liked to order my PC titles used off Amazon or EBay to get them cheaper.

0
CJMARTIN04 (59)
4/19/2006 4:27:23 AM
Kyle Rodgers wrote:
> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

I just buy everything via Amazon.com to get free shipping and no sales
tax...
I heard that "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> said:

>Local conditions seem to apply then.   I live in the Houston area, and here
>PC games are very much in demand.

Have to second that. Here in Northern California (I commute between
Silicon Valley and Sacramento) I have no problems finding the latest
and greatest games on release day. EB, Fry's and BB all seem to fight
it out to have them on the shelves bright and early Tuesday morning.

Clay-
--
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking,
bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right
Matt McLeod wrote:
> Trimble Bracegirdle <NOspam@spam.not> wrote:
>> Most people here seem to be in North America or UK & some other west
>> Euro....I would like to know if the situation with decreasing PC games
>> availabilty and sales is same-as right around the world ???
>> I would guess that a games sales success  (and there for future releases) is
>> down to overall/world wide sales ..
>
> "Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
> small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
> occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
> with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.

That's true, but the other 4/5ths of wallspace is divided up
among 4 or so consoles, so the PC games aren't really
under-represented. There also is more variety among the
types of PC games compared to console games.

Having said that, EB does stock only a small fraction of PC
games actually published, and that, for me, is the
frustrating part.

Stupot
Stuart Chapman <ten.no.edonretni@nampahc.trauts> wrote:
> Matt McLeod wrote:
>> "Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
>> small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
>> occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
>> with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.
>
> That's true, but the other 4/5ths of wallspace is divided up
> among 4 or so consoles, so the PC games aren't really
> under-represented. There also is more variety among the
> types of PC games compared to console games.

True enough, it's more an issue that they've got it all in
a very small space so there's no room to move.  The store
nearest me is really very very tiny, merely browsing is
quite an adventure.

I have pretty clear memories of trundling down to the local
Computer Spot to buy stuff for my C64 and having a much easier
time of things, obstacle-course-wise.

Matt

0
matt118 (6)
4/19/2006 9:50:07 AM
"Matt McLeod" <matt@boggle.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Stuart Chapman <ten.no.edonretni@nampahc.trauts> wrote:
> > Matt McLeod wrote:
> >> "Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
> >> small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
> >> occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
> >> with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.
> >
> > That's true, but the other 4/5ths of wallspace is divided up
> > among 4 or so consoles, so the PC games aren't really
> > under-represented. There also is more variety among the
> > types of PC games compared to console games.
>
> True enough, it's more an issue that they've got it all in
> a very small space so there's no room to move.  The store
> nearest me is really very very tiny, merely browsing is
> quite an adventure.
>
> I have pretty clear memories of trundling down to the local
> Computer Spot to buy stuff for my C64 and having a much easier
> time of things, obstacle-course-wise.
>
> Matt

OTOH, we might have been slightly leaner and more supple, at the time...

Alfredo

0
MI0307 (2)
4/19/2006 10:33:27 AM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 GMT, Kyle Rodgers <sdes@aol.com> wrote:
 :  I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
 :  release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
 :  week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
 :  games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
 :  13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Same at my EB in Florida.  I asked about the "disappeared" PC display
for just released games and the sales guy said it was history, they're
cutting way back on PC titles.
0
hgoldste (60)
4/19/2006 1:52:41 PM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:55:50 GMT, "jwb"
<jwb3333take--me-out@excite.com> wrote:

>Yes. Tracking an anticipated game from going gold and shipping is largely an
>exercise in frustration. Best Buy always has it a week "late" (from my
>perspective),

BB has gotten very good lately , at least with big sellers. The one in
my town actually had Oblivion in before the game stores and had enough
for everyone not the one or two the game store get in.

With lesser known titles though it does take longer.
0
me5057 (128)
4/19/2006 3:47:20 PM
Nonymous, do you mean Godfather released for the regular XBox?  As far
as I know, Godfather hasn't been released for the 360 yet.

- Richard Hutnik

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 GMT, "Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote:

>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Why did you not pre-order through your local EB ? Saves shipping
costs.

They seem to do fine on PC pre-orders. Had my pre-ordered PC CE
version of Oblivion morning of release day ( March 21). By noon all
the extra shelf stock of all PC versions and the CE for the Xbox360
had sold out everywhere locally - EB, Babbage's,  CompUSA

John Lewis

0
john.dsl (3470)
4/19/2006 6:59:00 PM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 GMT, "Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote:

>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Similar thing in South Africa.  The one of the two major chains
prominently displays it's PS2 stuff, but hides the PC games away.

Lynley
Kyle Rodgers wrote:

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
want/need to play the game the day it's released?

Is it just bragging rights? ("I played it before any of my friends.")

I've observed that the marketing hypsters in the game and movie biz want
you to do just that -- slap down your cash immediately before anyone can
warn you about how good/bad something really is. They hype it up with
ads or "unbiased" gaming mag reviews, collect cash from the early birds,
and laugh all the way to the bank before the complaints and criticisms
appear.

Personally I prefer to wait for version 1.1 or 1.4 when they fix it,
when the game is half the issue price, and when my computer can handle
the system requirements with no problems whatsoever.

  - Sheldon, who likes what he's seen of the new TR graphics but will
wait
Kyle Rodgers schrieb:

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Here in Germany it's no problem finding the latest games in the local
stores, even in smaller cities. I also can't see PC games being pushed
back in favour of console games, the amount of PC games in shops is
around the same as it has been before...

Benjamin
0
bgawert (1322)
4/21/2006 7:09:54 AM
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:15:29 GMT, Sheldon England
<sheldonegland@netscape.net> wrote:

>  - Sheldon, who likes what he's seen of the new TR graphics but will
>wait

.... until the price is less than $14.99 for me. Apparently much twitch
and little brains are required to play Legends -- pity.. since the
opportunity with Tomb Raider of doing a true cross-genre
adventure/action is enormous.

John Lewis

0
john.dsl (3470)
4/21/2006 4:49:29 PM
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:09:54 +0200, Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de>
wrote:

>Kyle Rodgers schrieb:
>
>> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.
>
>Here in Germany it's no problem finding the latest games in the local
>stores, even in smaller cities. I also can't see PC games being pushed
>back in favour of console games, the amount of PC games in shops is
>around the same as it has been before...

Ah, but you are not in the fad-driven environment of the great US of
A. Some of us have seen the (er) great (er) console-revolutions ebb
and flow through many cycles. We are in the middle of one right now,
but some people might just catch on after they buy their 3rd or 4th
update-version of the Xbox360, each at a higher price than the last,
that the stack of junk consoles in their garage might not have been
such a wise investment after all.

John Lewis

>Benjamin

0
john.dsl (3470)
4/21/2006 4:54:52 PM
John Lewis schrieb:

>> Here in Germany it's no problem finding the latest games in the local
>> stores, even in smaller cities. I also can't see PC games being pushed
>> back in favour of console games, the amount of PC games in shops is
>> around the same as it has been before...
>>

> Ah, but you are not in the fad-driven environment of the great US of
> A. Some of us have seen the (er) great (er) console-revolutions ebb
> and flow through many cycles. We are in the middle of one right now,
> but some people might just catch on after they buy their 3rd or 4th
> update-version of the Xbox360, each at a higher price than the last,
> that the stack of junk consoles in their garage might not have been
> such a wise investment after all.

Well, I'm quite often in the US (CA/Bay Area). I think the US is a
completely different market than Europe (or Germany). For example, in
stores like Fry's, Best Buy etc. the majority of computers offered are
more or less basic systems (Celerons) with shared memory gfx and
astonishing small RAM config. It looks like there is a huge market for
such home computers for basic tasks in the US. In Germany you won't find
much PCs with shared memory gfx in the stores. Even basic home computers
come with a "real" gfx card of some sort, only some few really
ultra-cheapo computers have chipset gfx. Of course there also are Dell
Optiplex and such which also have shared memory gfx but these systems
are targeted at business users.

I'm sure there are much more market differences...

Benjamin
0
bgawert (1322)
4/21/2006 6:31:57 PM
Sheldon England <sheldonegland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:

> Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
> want/need to play the game the day it's released?
>
> Is it just bragging rights? ("I played it before any of my friends.")
>
> I've observed that the marketing hypsters in the game and movie biz want
> you to do just that -- slap down your cash immediately before anyone can
> warn you about how good/bad something really is. They hype it up with
> ads or "unbiased" gaming mag reviews, collect cash from the early birds,
> and laugh all the way to the bank before the complaints and criticisms
> appear.
>
> Personally I prefer to wait for version 1.1 or 1.4 when they fix it,
> when the game is half the issue price, and when my computer can handle
> the system requirements with no problems whatsoever.

I rarely buy a game when it first releases for the reasons you state.
But I can understand why people do it. It's exciting to experience the
game along with a bunch of other people, to share that comraderie,
and especially in the case of an online game, to experience it when
everyone is (nearly) on equal footing rather than after the pros have
master it and can pwn all comers. Even in non-competitive online games,
like WoW, experiencing the game when it is brand new is an experience
not to be missed, because you are the pioneers of that game world, and
you and your peers will dictate the entire ambiance and mood of that
particular server. Not to mention you'll experience a fresh economy,
not one that has been warped by gold farmers and a super-top-heavy
citizenship.

Even in offline games like Oblivion it is exciting to share your
experiences with lots of other people enjoying it on web forums, usenet, or
wherever. Getting your friends to all get it at the same time too can make
it more fun for everyone.

But certainly there are major advantages to waiting. Getting the expansions
as part of a package deal. Patches. Lower price. Real reviews. Etc.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
knight37m (765)
4/22/2006 1:34:55 AM
"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sheldon England <sheldonegland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
>> want/need to play the game the day it's released?
>>
>> Is it just bragging rights? ("I played it before any of my friends.")
>>
>> I've observed that the marketing hypsters in the game and movie biz want
>> you to do just that -- slap down your cash immediately before anyone can
>> warn you about how good/bad something really is. They hype it up with
>> ads or "unbiased" gaming mag reviews, collect cash from the early birds,
>> and laugh all the way to the bank before the complaints and criticisms
>> appear.
>>
>> Personally I prefer to wait for version 1.1 or 1.4 when they fix it,
>> when the game is half the issue price, and when my computer can handle
>> the system requirements with no problems whatsoever.
>
> I rarely buy a game when it first releases for the reasons you state.
> But I can understand why people do it. It's exciting to experience the
> game along with a bunch of other people, to share that comraderie,
> and especially in the case of an online game, to experience it when
> everyone is (nearly) on equal footing rather than after the pros have
> master it and can pwn all comers. Even in non-competitive online games,
> like WoW, experiencing the game when it is brand new is an experience
> not to be missed, because you are the pioneers of that game world, and
> you and your peers will dictate the entire ambiance and mood of that
> particular server. Not to mention you'll experience a fresh economy,
> not one that has been warped by gold farmers and a super-top-heavy
> citizenship.
>
> Even in offline games like Oblivion it is exciting to share your
> experiences with lots of other people enjoying it on web forums, usenet,
> or
> wherever. Getting your friends to all get it at the same time too can make
> it more fun for everyone.
>
> But certainly there are major advantages to waiting. Getting the
> expansions
> as part of a package deal. Patches. Lower price. Real reviews. Etc.
>

> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Very true!  In addition, it doesn't seems like a rush to get it to me.  As
with many games, we wait YEARS for it's release.  We knew Dreamfall was
coming almost 3 years ago. So for me, instead of a rush, it's more like,
"It's about time!"  :)  I will say, it's not like that for all the new
releases, though.

0
Annie
4/23/2006 5:47:16 PM
Knight37 wrote:

> Sheldon England <sheldonegland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:
>
> > Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
> > want/need to play the game the day it's released?
>
> I rarely buy a game when it first releases for the reasons you state.
> But I can understand why people do it. It's exciting to experience the
> game along with a bunch of other people, to share that comraderie,
> and especially in the case of an online game, to experience it when
> everyone is (nearly) on equal footing rather than after the pros have
> master it and can pwn all comers. Even in non-competitive online games,
> like WoW, experiencing the game when it is brand new is an experience
> not to be missed, because you are the pioneers of that game world, and
> you and your peers will dictate the entire ambiance and mood of that
> particular server. Not to mention you'll experience a fresh economy,
> not one that has been warped by gold farmers and a super-top-heavy
> citizenship.

Yeah, I recall playing a MMORPG that was always struggling to bring in
new blood but it was difficult because the majority of the player base
(who were early to sign up) had "been there and done that" -- turned out
the majority of the newbies were just optimized oldies in disguise. I
guess that's an example of the need for being first.

> Even in offline games like Oblivion it is exciting to share your
> experiences with lots of other people enjoying it on web forums, usenet, or
> wherever. Getting your friends to all get it at the same time too can make
> it more fun for everyone.

Again, when it's new and unknown to all players that makes sense.

> But certainly there are major advantages to waiting. Getting the expansions
> as part of a package deal. Patches. Lower price. Real reviews. Etc.

And not getting burned by purchasing a dud.  ;)

I guess I'm just getting old. Once I was Beta Man with the newest,
latest and greatest of all software. Now every required upgrade or new
version makes me cringe with the knowledge that I will never use any of
the amazing new 8374 features -- and that whatever updates I do will
only lead to 5000 other patches being required.

If it ain't broke ...

  - Sheldon, no longer a pioneer