Video: Skybuck's DreamPC from 2006 boots up strangely

Hello,

This video on youtube shows the strange procedure I have to follow to boot =
up my computer lately:

https://youtu.be/oglScNl_jjw

This strange problem started occuring after I accidently put the computer i=
nto sleep mode, and re-powered the system after the power was cut but the f=
ans had not completely stopped spinning.

Did perhaps the spinning of the fans cause some kind of purge surge ?

Perhaps the copper coils inside the fans caused some kind of feedback power=
 into the system ?

My first hypothesis/hunch was that it might be a bios bug/race condition.

I pulled out all cables, cut the power, even removed the battery, but this =
did not help. So perhaps it's hardware damage instead of software bug ?

One last thing I have not tried yet is to reset the CMOS ? Perhaps the CMOS=
 of my DreamPC can remember settings without batery power ? To me that seem=
s somewhat unlikely but what do I know ?! ;)

Anyway I share this video with you to show this very strange and bizar boot=
 sequence/problem/procedure.

I would love to hear any theories/hypothesis what might be causing this.

So far, before I showed this video and told this story people have written =
back with following feedback/advice/theories:

1. Power supply might be giving a bad "good power" signal. DreamPC2006 curr=
ently has OCZ Stream X power supply it has. (I could look into it further f=
or more details though googling Skybuck's DreamPC might also uncover more i=
nfo about it from my previous postings). Personally I cannot imagine this b=
rand which was somewhat expensive to have this problem ? Though I can imagi=
ne that wear and tear over the years might have caused this... or perhaps l=
ightning. Then again it seems very minor and such... so very strange... It =
didn't fail completely... it's just behaving strangely ???

2. Wrong settings for CPU ? The system boots with defaults... no overclocki=
ng is used or ever was used. Surely the system should boot with defaults ? =
I cannot imagine it not booting with defaults... Very strange. Perhaps try =
and set it to 2.0 ghz instead of standard ?! Haven't tried this yet cause i=
t's such a strange theory and I am not sure if setting different settings t=
han default is save.

3. Batteries inside keyboard/mouse remembering weird settings. My mouse/key=
board don't have any batteries, they just USB. I don't know if they have an=
y memory though that stays resident after power cut ?!?

4. All cables were removed and power shutdown and CMOS battery removed, and=
 everything reconnected, this did not help.

Was further strange about this system which it has done for years now. When=
 I touch a key or mouse or even the case it would power on ?! Those setting=
s were disabled in the bios but it still does it ?! Could this indicate som=
e strange wiring problem ?

5. My latest theory, some plug/cable is misplaced inside of it, or the flas=
h/card reader drive is causing some strange electrical effect, or perhaps e=
ven wrongly connected, I even once fried a system with such a plug connecti=
ng it wrongly... I believe I did connect it correctly... but perhaps these =
are just shady devices. I don't feel like experimenting with replugging cab=
les unless there is hardcore proof that something was connected wrongly ! I=
'd right not fry my system or mess with it... unless some solution sounds c=
redible and doesn't sound like it could endager my system. This system has =
to survive until at least 2017 february. By that time I should have a new A=
MD Zen based system ! ;) =3DD  But it would be very cool if my old computer=
 woulds survive like all my other computers... there is a lot of info on it=
 and it's still usefull and it would make a nice backup computer.

This current boot procedure is making me nervous... I am slightly worried t=
hat someday this will cause it to fry to death. Since these components are =
old and especially the socket 939 motherboard, I will probably not find an =
replacement easily.... though I just remembered I do have a backup motherbo=
ard lying around somewhere, so perhaps that could save me in the feature in=
 case it's the motherboard and/or it's chips that go bad in the near future=
..

Let me know what you think is causing this weird power on/boot problem ?!?!=
?!?

Bye,
  Skybuck.
0
skybuck2000
12/20/2016 12:32:56 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc 1651 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow