Auction: IBM 9585 PS2 - 85 Computer

http://search.ebay.com/Z190174683216
BIN

William, they are Xies.
0
Louis

Hi!

> http://search.ebay.com/190174683216

[fix: dropped the errant Z before item #]

> BIN
> William, they are Xies.

As in "Xpensive". I would hope that these same machines will surface
under a more reasonably priced listing or that these folks would
consider a reasonable offer. I'd almost dare to make them one, but I'm
not sure I want to foot the shipping bill right now.

My collection of 9585-X machines is getting quite large. Most of them
are transplanted Texans. I have enough to run a pretty wide card of
OSes...OS/2, Win95, NT4, Linux, and NT 3.1. There is at least one
"duplicate", so I could probably squeeze in a Win98SE machine. That
would leave only DOS and Windows 3.1x...and I'm not sure I'd want to
waste an 85 on that.

William
0
wm_walsh
1/23/2008 4:38:54 PM
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:38:54 -0800 (PST), wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> http://search.ebay.com/190174683216
>
>[fix: dropped the errant Z before item #]
>
>> BIN
>> William, they are Xies.
>
>As in "Xpensive". I would hope that these same machines will surface
>under a more reasonably priced listing or that these folks would
>consider a reasonable offer. I'd almost dare to make them one, but I'm
>not sure I want to foot the shipping bill right now.
>
>My collection of 9585-X machines is getting quite large. Most of them
>are transplanted Texans. I have enough to run a pretty wide card of
>OSes...OS/2, Win95, NT4, Linux, and NT 3.1. There is at least one
>"duplicate", so I could probably squeeze in a Win98SE machine. That
>would leave only DOS and Windows 3.1x...and I'm not sure I'd want to
>waste an 85 on that.
>
>William

Just curious.  Are they running with the 83mhz pentium overdrive?

EZoto
0
EZoto
1/23/2008 8:15:03 PM
Mmm, since the X uses a soldered on 486SX33, and you wandt to put in
another cpu in the upgrade socket, does that make you bi-curious....

The X upgrade socket is not Socket 3 (19x19) but only 17x17. That would
be a helluva interposer, fer sure...

EZoto wrote:
> Just curious.  Are they running with the 83mhz pentium overdrive?
0
Louis
1/23/2008 9:46:41 PM
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:34:33 -0600, you wrote:

> I bet they were crushed or tipped into a landfill.

No doubt.  The shipping was double the selling price, and that was
over five years ago.

I had a serious irrational desire for those machines, but the time my
basement in North Carolina was already full of 8595/9595/A beasts.

--

CL -> http://tinyurl.com/2zqgly
For email correspondence.

| Charles Lasitter   | Address, Mail / Ship:   |
| 401/728-1987       | 14 Cooke St             |
| see^tinyurl>4email | Pawtucket RI 02860-6114 |
Charles
1/24/2008 1:04:16 AM
Hi!

> Just curious.  Are they running with the 83mhz pentium overdrive?

No. The "X" can't take such a chip, since it has only an "SX upgrade" socket
and not the Socket 2 or 3 that the POD requires.

I have at least one that is still running the soldered SX. All the others
have AMD 486-133 processors.

William

0
William
1/24/2008 11:47:49 PM
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:46:41 -0600, Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
wrote:

>Mmm, since the X uses a soldered on 486SX33, and you wandt to put in
>another cpu in the upgrade socket, does that make you bi-curious....
>
>The X upgrade socket is not Socket 3 (19x19) but only 17x17. That would
>be a helluva interposer, fer sure...

Well I have seen a 9585 with the socket like the lacuna had and just
wondered if there were similarities.

EZoto

>EZoto wrote:
>> Just curious.  Are they running with the 83mhz pentium overdrive?

0
EZoto
1/26/2008 3:02:14 AM
Like the Lacuna? What, praytell, do you mean?

EZoto wrote:
> Well I have seen a 9585 with the socket like the lacuna had and just
> wondered if there were similarities.
0
Louis
1/26/2008 3:10:54 AM
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:10:54 -0600, Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
wrote:

>Like the Lacuna? What, praytell, do you mean?

When I was in the salvage yard I saw a blue socket 9585 that could
take a POD 83mhz.  I thought they didn't have that.  As I looked at
the bunch of 9585's on the pallets I thought I saw one that could take
the 100mhz DX4 like the lacuna.  I vaguely remember it but I thought I
saw it.  At the time I thought they were common because they were so
many..........a shame to think that way now.

EZoto