IBM 6157-002 External Streaming Tape Drive Auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046895089
Sep-17-03 14:09:06 PDT
0
Louis

Better check the shipping price before you bid........

CT the Thrifty (Cheap)
0
ferrousp
9/17/2003 8:17:36 PM
Louis Ohland schrieb:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046895089
> Sep-17-03 14:09:06 PDT

The PN looks like matching for an RT machine?
Does it use MC or DC cartridge format?
What is the strange female DB-37 connector,
I've never seen an adapter card with matching male?
Too many questions...

Gereon
0
Gereon
9/18/2003 1:26:42 PM
I have some ammo for a 6157 if someone here ends up with this. Free for
shipping
0
gfretwell
9/18/2003 4:11:56 PM
Gereon Wenzel <wenzel@ibh.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<3F69B292.D1F15ECB@ibh.rwth-aachen.de>...
> The PN looks like matching for an RT machine?

Yes, the 6157 was used with the RT/PC, but was also used on the
System/36, PCs (with the 8-bit ISA adapter used on the RT/PC), PS/2s
(with the MCA adapter), and others.

> Does it use MC or DC cartridge format?

It uses the DC-600 series.  The DC-600A can be used in both the
6157-001 and the 6157-002.  The 6157-001 typically uses DC-300 series
tapes.

> What is the strange female DB-37 connector,
> I've never seen an adapter card with matching male?

I suspect that the female connector was used so that folks would not
accidentally attach the tape drive to the external port on a floppy
adapter (PC/XT style or the "Bond" PS/2 5.25-inch Diskette Adapter/A).

The biggest problem for most people who wanted to use the 6157 on PCs
was the general lack of device support.  Sytos supported the 6157, but
most PC tape packages did not.

Rick Ekblaw
0
ekblaw