f



IBM PS2 8530

Hello everyone

I have Ibm ps2 8530  i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive.
Hard drive is dead!
I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it.
What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk?
My old drive is:
WDI 325Q
72x7568
Please help!
Thanks 


0
Nano
11/11/2011 8:24:38 AM
comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware 10363 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

13 Replies
1189 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

"Nano" <adriano.uvodic@st.t-com.hr> wrote in message 
news:j9im4c$7nk$1@ss408.t-com.hr...

> I have Ibm ps2 8530  i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive.
> Hard drive is dead!
> I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it.
> What should I do

If you cannot afford to buy a new HD you must seek
a free used drive through local computer clubs.
(Supposing your PC runs at 8 MHz suggests you are
not currently a member of such a club.)

-- 
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada) 


0
Don
11/11/2011 2:57:42 PM
First, location, location, location....

Where are you? City/State or province...

Tried ebuy?

On 11/11/2011 02:24 AM, Nano wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have Ibm ps2 8530  i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive.
> Hard drive is dead!
> I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it.
> What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk?
> My old drive is:
> WDI 325Q
> 72x7568
> Please help!
> Thanks
>
>
0
Louis
11/11/2011 4:36:30 PM
Wow, those ebuy prices are... enthusiastic. 
Chances are that some of us have spares, but... 
where are you?

On 11/11/2011 10:36 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
> First, location, location, location....
>
> Where are you? City/State or province...
>
> Tried ebuy?
>
> On 11/11/2011 02:24 AM, Nano wrote:
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my
>> problem is hard drive.
>> Hard drive is dead!
>> I do not know what to do, I can not find another
>> to replace it.
>> What should I do, whether it can build up a
>> larger and newer disk?
>> My old drive is:
>> WDI 325Q
>> 72x7568
>> Please help!
>> Thanks
>>
>>
0
Louis
11/11/2011 4:38:53 PM
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:24:38 +0100, "Nano"
<adriano.uvodic@st.t-com.hr> wrote:

>Hello everyone
>
>I have Ibm ps2 8530  i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive.
>Hard drive is dead!
>I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it.
>What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk?
>My old drive is:
>WDI 325Q
>72x7568
>Please help!
>Thanks 
>

The easiest fix is to find an 8 bit SCSI or IDE controller, then you
can use industry standard drives 
0
gfretwell
11/11/2011 7:10:08 PM
"Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message 
news:iacvq.17928$pt2.2989@newsfe18.iad...
> First, location, location, location....
>
> Where are you? City/State or province...
>
> Tried ebuy?

His .hr suffix implies he's somewhere in Croatia (Hrvatska), which would 
complicate shipping.
-- 
Cheers,
    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)
    Guildford, U.K.

0
Tim
11/13/2011 5:06:18 PM
Yes i live in Croatia,but shiping is not a problem.
Just look at how to connect the hard drive via 8-bit SCSI or IDE 
controller.Do i need driver for the card to the computer finds the hard 
drive or ... I do not know how to do it.
I put the card into the slot, connect the hard drive on the card, now what?
When I press the START button on the screen now appears disk and writes to 
put the system disk, and set time and date?
Computer does not see hard drive.
Please help, and sorry about my bad english.

"Tim WBST Clarke" <WBSTClarke@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:jOSvq.2966$zt4.1388@newsfe13.ams2...
> "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message 
> news:iacvq.17928$pt2.2989@newsfe18.iad...
>> First, location, location, location....
>>
>> Where are you? City/State or province...
>>
>> Tried ebuy?
>
> His .hr suffix implies he's somewhere in Croatia (Hrvatska), which would 
> complicate shipping.
> -- 
> Cheers,
>    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)
>    Guildford, U.K.
> 


0
Nano
11/14/2011 10:15:56 AM
AFAIK, the 8530 came in two flavors: 8086 and 286.  Since yours is an
8086, it should (but not necessarily) have 20MB hard drive.

This computer is very different from the general PS/2 line.  It does
NOT use MCA (microchannel architecture).  Therefore, it will be
difficult to find an adapter.

Why don't you try to find another Model 30 to cannibalize?

Dan
0
Dan
11/19/2011 4:28:16 PM
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:28:16 -0800 (PST), Dan <kaliuzhkin@verizon.net>
wrote:

>AFAIK, the 8530 came in two flavors: 8086 and 286.  Since yours is an
>8086, it should (but not necessarily) have 20MB hard drive.
>
>This computer is very different from the general PS/2 line.  It does
>NOT use MCA (microchannel architecture).  Therefore, it will be
>difficult to find an adapter.
>
>Why don't you try to find another Model 30 to cannibalize?
>
>Dan

There were several 8 bit XT bus SCSI adapters around but you need to
find one with the boot BIOS so the ones made for scanners won't help
much. 
0
gfretwell
11/19/2011 5:55:29 PM
Yes, the computer has a hard disk of 20 mb but it was broken.
I can not find anywhere a second hard drive or another computer model 30 to 
cannibalize.
I tried the 8-bit SCSI adapters, but I had no luck.
I think this unfortunately will never start working.
please help



"Dan" <kaliuzhkin@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:c3cf60c5-74f4-4829-90ac-d8d965fbe669@j10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
> AFAIK, the 8530 came in two flavors: 8086 and 286.  Since yours is an
> 8086, it should (but not necessarily) have 20MB hard drive.
>
> This computer is very different from the general PS/2 line.  It does
> NOT use MCA (microchannel architecture).  Therefore, it will be
> difficult to find an adapter.
>
> Why don't you try to find another Model 30 to cannibalize?
>
> Dan 


0
Nano
11/20/2011 11:27:07 AM
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:27:07 +0100, "Nano"
<adriano.uvodic@st.t-com.hr> wrote:

>Yes, the computer has a hard disk of 20 mb but it was broken.
>I can not find anywhere a second hard drive or another computer model 30 to 
>cannibalize.
>I tried the 8-bit SCSI adapters, but I had no luck.
>I think this unfortunately will never start working.
>please help
>
>
>
>"Dan" <kaliuzhkin@verizon.net> wrote in message 
>news:c3cf60c5-74f4-4829-90ac-d8d965fbe669@j10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>> AFAIK, the 8530 came in two flavors: 8086 and 286.  Since yours is an
>> 8086, it should (but not necessarily) have 20MB hard drive.
>>
>> This computer is very different from the general PS/2 line.  It does
>> NOT use MCA (microchannel architecture).  Therefore, it will be
>> difficult to find an adapter.
>>
>> Why don't you try to find another Model 30 to cannibalize?
>>
>> Dan 
>


If you can find a Seagate ST01 or ST02 it should work.
0
gfretwell
11/20/2011 3:33:20 PM
Am 20.11.2011 12:27, schrieb Nano:

> Yes, the computer has a hard disk of 20 mb but it was broken.
> I can not find anywhere a second hard drive or another computer model 30 to
> cannibalize.
> I tried the 8-bit SCSI adapters, but I had no luck.
> I think this unfortunately will never start working.
> please help

I'm in my storage by tomorrow and could look after the Model 30 spares 
I'd put aside if there is a working HD with it.

Basically the defects differ in three groups:
- mechanical issues (defective motor)
- electrical defects (namely dead electrolytic capacitors on the board)
- media defects

On the latter one the drive should be detected however, even if being 
unreadable (178x errors / 179x errors).

So I think your drive has a dead electronic board.
Do you hear it spin on after power on ?
If so it could help to replace the few silver cylindric capacitors on 
the drive controller board against other capacitors of same value / 
voltage. Did that a few years ago on a WD-made 60MB ESDI drive for a 
Mod. 55 with *very* important data.
-- 
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@mcamafia.de only ! ***
0
Peter
11/20/2011 4:28:19 PM
I am trying to find it but the prices are too much for them.
Not sure what marketers think, make money overnight in garbage?
Search and forth, I guess I will find it for a reasonable price.
Thanks for your help!



<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote in message 
news:qb7ic7tupdrnsfr39g8ehh71aqsvce6o2t@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:27:07 +0100, "Nano"
> <adriano.uvodic@st.t-com.hr> wrote:
>
>>Yes, the computer has a hard disk of 20 mb but it was broken.
>>I can not find anywhere a second hard drive or another computer model 30 
>>to
>>cannibalize.
>>I tried the 8-bit SCSI adapters, but I had no luck.
>>I think this unfortunately will never start working.
>>please help
>>
>>
>>
>>"Dan" <kaliuzhkin@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>news:c3cf60c5-74f4-4829-90ac-d8d965fbe669@j10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>>> AFAIK, the 8530 came in two flavors: 8086 and 286.  Since yours is an
>>> 8086, it should (but not necessarily) have 20MB hard drive.
>>>
>>> This computer is very different from the general PS/2 line.  It does
>>> NOT use MCA (microchannel architecture).  Therefore, it will be
>>> difficult to find an adapter.
>>>
>>> Why don't you try to find another Model 30 to cannibalize?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>
>
> If you can find a Seagate ST01 or ST02 it should work. 


0
Nano
11/20/2011 4:29:43 PM
Nano wrote:
> I am trying to find it but the prices are too much for them.
> Not sure what marketers think, make money overnight in garbage?
> Search and forth, I guess I will find it for a reasonable price.
> Thanks for your help!

Yes, the folks who still stock/sell 8-bit ISA adapters think that if you 
want one, you must be desperate to recover data from an old machine and 
you'll pay anything to get it going again.  The concept of "I'm just 
doing this for fun" is lost on them.

The 8530 hard drives were known for quality problems even when they were 
new, I was running SpinRite on them regularly and replacing drives 
frequently, any time they showed a "jump" in the number of bad sectors 
found by the SpinRite program.

Unless you simply *must* have a working 8530 in your collection, I'd 
suggest taking it apart and selling the working parts to other people 
who simply *must* have a working 8530 in *their* collection.  The floppy 
drives are hard to find these days, the power supply and planar also 
have some value (but only to a small niche audience).

Rick Ekblaw
0
Rick
11/20/2011 7:56:22 PM
Reply: