IBM PS2 P70 problems with scsi and etherlink mca card...

Hello to the group and thanks in advance to all the fans.=20

I recently decided to make some projects with p70 starting from documentati=
on found in the network and for which I thank the respective owners.=20

The idea is to install win95 and "sail" with a ibm 8573-061 of 90.=20
Starting from a basic configuration working (386DX 20MHz, 8Mb RAM, 60Mb har=
d disk, floppy disk adapter, Win3.1 and dos6.2), I'm trying to install a sc=
si card mcs-700 (connected to a hd 1gb ibm dpes31080) and a network card 3c=
529-tp.=20

I can not try the 2 cards mca as recently purchased on the net.=20

To install the scsi card, I disconnected the old hd 60mb, the old data cabl=
e, insert the card scsi mcs-700 in the riser card (16 or 32 bit) connect po=
wer and data cable 50pin to 'hd ibm (set id of 0 or 1, correct?). Restart t=
he computer with the reference disk (with several *. Adf) the screen remain=
s black, the only light comes on the power supply. The hd turn, would seem =
to look for something for a couple of seconds, but then stops. Then nothing=
 ram test, do not boot from the floppy or normal startup dos. No bios-error=
..=20

Not being certain that the hd or the scsi card are working, I decided to te=
st the network card. When I insert the network card 3c529-tp in the riser c=
ard (16 or 32 bit) and reboot the pc with the reference disk (with several =
*. Adf) I get the same results as installing the scsi card

With both cards get the same result ... Where's the problem? Motherboard-Pl=
anar-Riser card? Particular settings? Wrong operations?

I have already tried:=20
-Reset the CMOS by removing the battery for half an hour and retry the inst=
allation procedure;=20
-Clean-slots 1 and 2 with a "solvent";=20

Thank a lot, Regards, Andrea
0
anovello

On 02/25/2014 03:35 PM, anovello.ve@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello to the group and thanks in advance to all the fans.
>
> I recently decided to make some projects with p70 starting from documentation found in the network and for which I thank the respective owners.
>
> The idea is to install win95 and "sail" with a ibm 8573-061 of 90.
> Starting from a basic configuration working (386DX 20MHz, 8Mb RAM, 60Mb hard disk, floppy disk adapter, Win3.1 and dos6.2), I'm trying to install a scsi card mcs-700 (connected to a hd 1gb ibm dpes31080) and a network card 3c529-tp.
>
> I can not try the 2 cards mca as recently purchased on the net.
>
> To install the scsi card, I disconnected the old hd 60mb, the old data cable, insert the card scsi mcs-700 in the riser card (16 or 32 bit) connect power and data cable 50pin to 'hd ibm (set id of 0 or 1, correct?). Restart the computer with the reference disk (with several *. Adf) the screen remains black, the only light comes on the power supply. The hd turn, would seem to look for something for a couple of seconds, but then stops. Then nothing ram test, do not boot from the floppy or normal startup dos. No bios-error.
>
> Not being certain that the hd or the scsi card are working, I decided to test the network card. When I insert the network card 3c529-tp in the riser card (16 or 32 bit) and reboot the pc with the reference disk (with several *. Adf) I get the same results as installing the scsi card
>
> With both cards get the same result ... Where's the problem? Motherboard-Planar-Riser card? Particular settings? Wrong operations?
>
> I have already tried:
> -Reset the CMOS by removing the battery for half an hour and retry the installation procedure;
> -Clean-slots 1 and 2 with a "solvent";
>
> Thank a lot, Regards, Andrea

Looks like your reference disk or floppy drive is bad.

For starters just put in the network card and see if the machine boots
without the reference disk.

BTW: If you have a device that is not configured by using the reference
disk, although you will receive an error when booting up...for the time
being you can ignore it. When you install Windows, the operating system
will still be able to detect the card.
0
ISO
2/25/2014 11:14:23 PM

> Looks like your reference disk or floppy drive is bad.
>
> For starters just put in the network card and see if the machine boots
>
> without the reference disk.
>

> BTW: If you have a device that is not configured by using the reference
>
> disk, although you will receive an error when booting up...for the time
>
> being you can ignore it. When you install Windows, the operating system
>
> will still be able to detect the card.

Hi Philo,

the floppy disk (not the original) and the refernce disk works fine.
If i put the network card with or without the reference disk there aren't difference. The machine can't boot.
Dramatic turn of events ... as I write the post and check the card closely, I realize that at least three-pin integrated 8370-03 are broken .. discouragement. Well...i need a new one.

Maybe the scsi controller have the same problem...

0
anovello
2/26/2014 9:12:50 AM
On 02/26/2014 03:12 AM, anovello.ve@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Philo,
>
> the floppy disk (not the original) and the refernce disk works fine.
> If i put the network card with or without the reference disk there aren't difference. The machine can't boot.
> Dramatic turn of events ... as I write the post and check the card closely, I realize that at least three-pin integrated 8370-03 are broken .. discouragement. Well...i need a new one.
>
> Maybe the scsi controller have the same problem...

If I were working on that machine, I think I'd just install Win95 on the
existing 60 meg drive and leave it at that.  IIRC a 60 meg drive should
be sufficient.
0
ISO
2/26/2014 2:11:30 PM
Il giorno mercoled=EC 26 febbraio 2014 15:11:30 UTC+1, philo=A0 ha scritto:

> If I were working on that machine, I think I'd just install Win95 on the=
=20
>=20
> existing 60 meg drive and leave it at that.  IIRC a 60 meg drive should=
=20
>=20
> be sufficient.

this is a good alternative. Thank you.=20
Has anyone tested the effectiveness of the coax to RJ45 converters on older=
 systems as a p70?
0
anovello
3/6/2014 8:09:43 AM
On 03/06/2014 02:09 AM, anovello.ve@gmail.com wrote:
> Il giorno mercoled´┐Ż 26 febbraio 2014 15:11:30 UTC+1, philo  ha scritto:
>
>> If I were working on that machine, I think I'd just install Win95 on the
>>
>> existing 60 meg drive and leave it at that.  IIRC a 60 meg drive should
>>
>> be sufficient.
>
> this is a good alternative. Thank you.
> Has anyone tested the effectiveness of the coax to RJ45 converters on older systems as a p70?

I've never used a converter but just remembered:

If you do install Win95 on that 60 meg drive you may have to use the
original Win95 version and possibly not install some options.

I think Win95B might be a bit too large.

I once wanted to use a 40 meg drive and could not install Windows...but
I did get it to work by simply copying an existing install to the
smaller drive. I had to limit the swap file to 2 megs...but the machine
I used had 16 megs of ram so it worked out well for a 386.
0
ISO
3/6/2014 2:55:10 PM
On 03/09/2014 04:27 AM, sis.acquisti@gmail.com wrote:

> Finally win 95 is installed!
> Amazing (on 21 century) work with floppy and arj...
>
> Move file inside P70 is hard..better by network card.
> What about this?
> http://www.ebay.it/itm/IBM-PS-2-MCA-Lan-Adapter-A-Ethernet-Adapter-48G7172-/331145652381?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item4d19d1a89d&_uhb=1
>
> Can be work on P70? Thanks for help.

Glad you got it working. I too thought I'd never use a floppy again but
last year had to repair an OS/2 machine and needed a few floppies to
start the CD installation.

I must have gone through 50 of my old floppies before I found three good
ones.

I'm sure that MCA card you found on eBay will do the job.

When I was using my PS/2 it came with a tolken-ring card and it took me
years to come across an Ethernet
0
ISO
3/9/2014 1:01:01 AM

> I still have various 5.25" floppies going all the way back to Dos1
>

> I would not be surprised if some of them are still good.
>

> Some day I may test them.

You'll find that 3.5" disks are more buggy than 5.25" ones :)
0
supervinx
3/9/2014 1:01:01 AM
> I've never used a converter but just remembered:
>

> If you do install Win95 on that 60 meg drive you may have to use the
>
> original Win95 version and possibly not install some options.
>

> I think Win95B might be a bit too large.
>

> I once wanted to use a 40 meg drive and could not install Windows...but
>
> I did get it to work by simply copying an existing install to the
>
> smaller drive. I had to limit the swap file to 2 megs...but the machine
>
> I used had 16 megs of ram so it worked out well for a 386.

Finally win 95 is installed!
Amazing (on 21 century) work with floppy and arj...

Move file inside P70 is hard..better by network card.
What about this?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/IBM-PS-2-MCA-Lan-Adapter-A-Ethernet-Adapter-48G7172-/331145652381?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item4d19d1a89d&_uhb=1

Can be work on P70? Thanks for help.

0
sis
3/9/2014 1:01:01 AM
> Glad you got it working. I too thought I'd never use a floppy again but
> last year had to repair an OS/2 machine and needed a few floppies to
> start the CD installation.
>

> I must have gone through 50 of my old floppies before I found three good
> ones.

LOL!
I use it almost every day, 3.5 or 5.25 :)
I have nearly a wall of them! :)
0
Apple_Tester
3/9/2014 2:42:00 PM
On 03/09/2014 09:42 AM, Apple_Tester wrote:

>> Glad you got it working. I too thought I'd never use a floppy again but
>> last year had to repair an OS/2 machine and needed a few floppies to
>> start the CD installation.
>>

>> I must have gone through 50 of my old floppies before I found three good
>> ones.
>>

> LOL!
> I use it almost every day, 3.5 or 5.25 :)
> I have nearly a wall of them! :)

I still have various 5.25" floppies going all the way back to Dos1

I would not be surprised if some of them are still good.

Some day I may test them.
0
UTF
3/9/2014 4:28:57 PM
On 03/09/2014 03:54 PM, supervinx wrote:

>> I still have various 5.25" floppies going all the way back to Dos1
>>

>> I would not be surprised if some of them are still good.
>>

>> Some day I may test them.
>

> You'll find that 3.5" disks are more buggy than 5.25" ones :)

The older the floppy, the better the chance that's it's still good.

Those OS/2 installation floppies and Microsoft DMF hold up very well.

I still recall the most recent floppies I bought (prob. ten years ago)
from Radio Shack lasted about two weeks!
0
UTF
3/10/2014 12:21:01 AM
Il Sun, 09 Mar 2014 19:21:01 -0500, philo ha scritto:

> I still recall the most recent floppies I bought (prob. ten years ago)
> from Radio Shack lasted about two weeks!
Last floppy production was a nightmare... in a Verb**** DOS formatted disks
pack, I had to reformat all of them, and only two were reliable :P

I currently use a 3.5" 720k floppy formatted in 1990, for some old
equipments testing :D

--
                                 _
 ___ _   _ _ __   ___ _ ____   _(_)_ __ __  __
On 03/10/2014 02:24 AM, supervinx wrote:
> Il Sun, 09 Mar 2014 19:21:01 -0500, philo ha scritto:
>
>> I still recall the most recent floppies I bought (prob. ten years ago)
>> from Radio Shack lasted about two weeks!
> Last floppy production was a nightmare... in a Verb**** DOS formatted disks
> pack, I had to reformat all of them, and only two were reliable :P
>
> I currently use a 3.5" 720k floppy formatted in 1990, for some old
> equipments testing :D

That OS/2 machine I worked on was given to me by a friend who does CNC
repair. It ran a laser cutter.

The hard drive was bad so I replaced it and installed Warp3.

The manufacturer was able to supply the software and I got the thing up
and running....somewhat :

Unfortunately there were custom settings required for specific jobs
and I was only able to save some of them from the defective drive...so I
ended doing a lot of work for nothing.

I told my friend that if I got it working I was going to charge a
sizable fee...but if I did not get it working I would charge nothing.

My friend ended up giving me a server and a laptop that he did not need
so I was more than happy with the deal.

I don't know what the end user has done though.

BTW: I am putting a link to his website here not with the intention of
spamming this group but with the knowledge that some here will be
interested in his "solar barn" and home made electric car.

http://www.tdlelectronics.com/
0
UTF
3/10/2014 12:13:46 PM
> Unfortunately there were custom settings required for specific jobs and
> I was only able to save some of them from the defective drive...so I
> ended doing a lot of work for nothing.

Did you try spinrite?
0
Apple_Tester
3/10/2014 1:39:32 PM
On 03/10/2014 08:39 AM, Apple_Tester wrote:
>> Unfortunately there were custom settings required for specific jobs and
>> I was only able to save some of them from the defective drive...so I
>> ended doing a lot of work for nothing.
>>

> Did you try spinrite?

I used another utility called Drevitalize

and it did a great job but I was not able to put all the pieces quite
back into the right place when I did the new install.

I was willing to spend more time on the project but my friend told me to
forget it.
0
UTF