IBM RS/6000 MCA SCSI Adapter vs. IBM PS/2 MCA SCSI Adapter

Hello,
I found in my MCA repository a (seems to be) functionnal RS/6000 32bit
SCSI Adapter.
In my '80, I have a (what seems to be, again) original PS/2 SCSI
Adapter, w/o cache. I found also a w/cache, but is faulty.
May I get better performance, any improvement of any kind trying this
RS/6000 Adapter, or is it not going to run at all...or will it be worse ?

I have a 0661 type HDD, 320 MB in the SCSI Chain.
Thanks !
0
The

Hum, as I see after some searches, it is RS/6000-only adapter, no ADF,
not useable in a PS/2...Can someone confirm this ?

The Godfather wrote:

> Hello,
> I found in my MCA repository a (seems to be) functionnal RS/6000 32bit
> SCSI Adapter.
> In my '80, I have a (what seems to be, again) original PS/2 SCSI
> Adapter, w/o cache. I found also a w/cache, but is faulty.
> May I get better performance, any improvement of any kind trying this
> RS/6000 Adapter, or is it not going to run at all...or will it be worse ?
>
> I have a 0661 type HDD, 320 MB in the SCSI Chain.
> Thanks !
0
The
4/4/2004 11:55:39 PM
> Hum, as I see after some searches, it is RS/6000-only adapter,
> no ADF, not useable in a PS/2...Can someone confirm this ?
     On the metal card blockout for RS/6k adapters will be a identifying
tag. Something like "4-1" ("Narrow" SCSI adapter) or "4-6" (Differencial F/W
SCSI adapter). One particular (11H7660) "4-6" card does work in the PS/2.
                           David
                           Put my name in front of my domain

0
David
4/5/2004 4:11:07 AM
> Hello,
> I found in my MCA repository a (seems to be) functionnal RS/6000 32bit
> SCSI Adapter.
> In my '80, I have a (what seems to be, again) original PS/2 SCSI
> Adapter, w/o cache. I found also a w/cache, but is faulty.
> May I get better performance, any improvement of any kind trying this
> RS/6000 Adapter, or is it not going to run at all...or will it be worse ?
>
> I have a 0661 type HDD, 320 MB in the SCSI Chain.
> Thanks !

Won't work. If it would work, it would not give you a performance boost
greater than a working Spock Prime. Go for a Spock Prime, there are
enough out there.

As a rule of thumb RS/6000 cards do not work in PS/2. But as with most
rules there are some exceptions.

- the X.25 cards, something we all need
- the short 3270 cards, something we really need more
- the Bus Master Token-Ring, don't use this card if not really needed
  The only Pro for this card is that all RS/6000 can boot from this
card.

- The Auto LAN Streamer /MC32
- Fast/Wide SCSI-2/A Single Ended (4-7)

- 3c527 vs. the common 2-1 Ethernet card. Kind of works.
  there is an adf, some O/S's drivers accept this card as the 3c527 and
work,
  some don't. The adf is o.k.
- ACPA/A works with AIX 3.2.5, not with any AIX 4 :-(

On my wishlist for a useable RS6k card in a Mod95 is the Gt4xi Graphics
card.
True Colour, OpenGL @ 1280x1024 with 77Hz and faster than a GUP :-)))))
Passplay-sized, needs two adjacent slots.

---
Uli

(Reply to ulrich <dot> link <domain-delimiter> epost <dot> de)
0
Uli
4/5/2004 7:12:30 AM
"Uli Link" <spamkuebel.csiph@linkitup.homeunix.com> wrote in message
> On my wishlist for a useable RS6k card in a Mod95 is the Gt4xi Graphics
> card.
> True Colour, OpenGL @ 1280x1024 with 77Hz and faster than a GUP :-)))))
> Passplay-sized, needs two adjacent slots.
  Is the 15 pin VGA connector useable with a good multisync monitor?  I see
a few of these cards on eBay and wouldn't mind one in my 7012.
> ---
> Uli
>
> (Reply to ulrich <dot> link <domain-delimiter> epost <dot> de)

0
Kevin
4/5/2004 10:14:01 PM
> Is the 15 pin VGA connector useable with a good multisync monitor?  I see
> a few of these cards on eBay and wouldn't mind one in my 7012.

What card?
AFAIK the only useable RS/6000 MC graphics card with a hd15 connector is
the GXT800M.

The CGA and Gt3/4 Series uses the 3w3, the GXT150M has the 13w3
connector.
Perhaps the GrayScale Adapter??? The old SGI Irisvision doesn't work
with AIX 4.x.x.

The Gt3/4 cards have no problems with monitors understanding composite
sync on green and BNC input. The cards ending with "i" are capable of
ergonomic refresh rates. The older ones only can drive your monitor with
flickery 60Hz.

---
Uli

(Reply to ulrich <dot> link <domain-delimiter> epost <dot> de)
0
Uli

 Gt4xi -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3089273803
> AFAIK the only useable RS/6000 MC graphics card with a hd15 connector is
> the GXT800M.
  It looks like both 3w3 and HD15 connectors.
> ---
> Uli
>
> (Reply to ulrich <dot> link <domain-delimiter> epost <dot> de)

0
Kevin
4/5/2004 11:57:14 PM
Kevin Bowling wrote:
>  Gt4xi -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3089273803

According to "The Bible" (Adapters, Devices, and Cable Information for
Micro Channel Bus Systems, SA38-0533), feature code 2711, only the 3W3
connector is active.  The HD15 connector is found only on the older base
cards, and is not used.

Microchannel video adapters for the RS/6000 with HD15 connectors are
uncommon -- you might remember that I've previously mentioned the (now
defunct) Abstract Technologies offerings, the ab1024 (based on the ATI
Graphics Ultra) and the abv.  These adapters were relatively slow, 2D
only, but they were relatively inexpensive.  Finding the driver code
today is near impossible, and support stopped with either AIX 4.1.x or
4.2.x.  These video adapters were used in the IBM 3900 and 4000 printer
control units that were based on Microchannel RS/6000 models (7012-360,
7012-370, 7012-390, 7009-C10, 7009-C20, 7013-591, 7013-595).

Rick Ekblaw

0
Rick