Linux on IBM PS2/80 8085

Hi,
I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
 this computer?
Proc 386
Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
HD 300M SCSI
Thks
0
Debian

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:35:47 +0100, Debian User wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>  this computer?
> Proc 386
> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
> HD 300M SCSI
> Thks

It must be possible to run a slackware (easy to install, MCA supported).
But even only in text mode it will be slow. Perhaps it is  possible to
replace glibc by "diet libc" (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc) for some
binaries to improve performances (Never try).
You can also try with a debian.

0
Emmanuel
2/23/2005 10:46:32 PM
As a recovering man (I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess)
I would like to know your full type-model. It will be on a sticker on
the rear of the Model 80. It will look like 8580-xxx.

Your problem with the extension MAY be dust in the slot. Have you tried
compressed air? Also, some memory cards use an init adf and Linux may
not fully grok the card (I dunno).

What memory expansion card did you try? Give us the adf # that you used.

Debian User wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>  this computer?
> Proc 386
> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
> HD 300M SCSI
> Thks

0
Louis
2/24/2005 12:12:47 AM
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/8580/8580_Common_Devices.html

Louis Ohland wrote:

> As a recovering man (I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess)
> I would like to know your full type-model. It will be on a sticker on
> the rear of the Model 80. It will look like 8580-xxx.
>
> Your problem with the extension MAY be dust in the slot. Have you tried
> compressed air? Also, some memory cards use an init adf and Linux may
> not fully grok the card (I dunno).
>
> What memory expansion card did you try? Give us the adf # that you used.
>
> Debian User wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>>  this computer?
>> Proc 386
>> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
>> HD 300M SCSI
>> Thks

0
Louis
I tried the compact rescue.bin and root.bin from the Debian mirror but it
does nt work
It s ok till I insert the second disk (root.bin) => I have a kernel Panic

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:46:32 +0100, Emmanuel Mispreuve wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:35:47 +0100, Debian User wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>>  this computer?
>> Proc 386
>> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
>> HD 300M SCSI
>> Thks
>
> It must be possible to run a slackware (easy to install, MCA supported).
> But even only in text mode it will be slow. Perhaps it is  possible to
> replace glibc by "diet libc" (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc) for some
> binaries to improve performances (Never try).
> You can also try with a debian.

0
Debian
The full type-model is 8580-111
The ADF File for the memory board is FDDF.ADF

> http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/8580/8580_Common_Devices.html
>
> Louis Ohland wrote:
>
>> As a recovering man (I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess)
>> I would like to know your full type-model. It will be on a sticker on
>> the rear of the Model 80. It will look like 8580-xxx.
>>
>> Your problem with the extension MAY be dust in the slot. Have you tried
>> compressed air? Also, some memory cards use an init adf and Linux may
>> not fully grok the card (I dunno).
>>
>> What memory expansion card did you try? Give us the adf # that you used.
>>
>> Debian User wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>>>  this computer?
>>> Proc 386
>>> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
>>> HD 300M SCSI
>>> Thks

0
Debian
2/24/2005 8:11:52 PM
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:06:56 +0100, Debian User wrote:

Try with a slackware ...
Try a Slackware 7.1 (not the current version, so you have more
chance to have a support of i386).
In the root of CD (or the ftp site, for instance
ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/slackware/slackware-7.1/) in LOWMEM.TXT you
will get the guideline (uncompressing the rootdisk for instance ...)

As far as I remember me, it's possible to install through the network but
it's better to have a scsi cdrom.

> Hi,
> I tried the compact rescue.bin and root.bin from the Debian mirror but it
> does nt work
> It s ok till I insert the second disk (root.bin) => I have a kernel Panic
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:46:32 +0100, Emmanuel Mispreuve wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:35:47 +0100, Debian User wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>>>  this computer?
>>> Proc 386
>>> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )
>>> HD 300M SCSI
>>> Thks
>>
>> It must be possible to run a slackware (easy to install, MCA supported).
>> But even only in text mode it will be slow. Perhaps it is  possible to
>> replace glibc by "diet libc" (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc) for some
>> binaries to improve performances (Never try).
>> You can also try with a debian.

0
Emmanuel
2/24/2005 8:50:07 PM
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/CPU/mcmaster.html#Incompatible_Systems
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/misc/IBM-mem-expand.html#2-14MB_Expansion

Debian User wrote:

> Hi,
> The full type-model is 8580-111
> The ADF File for the memory board is FDDF.ADF
>

>>http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/8580/8580_Common_Devices.html
>>
>>Louis Ohland wrote:
>>

>>>As a recovering man (I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess)
>>>I would like to know your full type-model. It will be on a sticker on
>>>the rear of the Model 80. It will look like 8580-xxx.
>>>
>>>Your problem with the extension MAY be dust in the slot. Have you tried
>>>compressed air? Also, some memory cards use an init adf and Linux may
>>>not fully grok the card (I dunno).
>>>
>>>What memory expansion card did you try? Give us the adf # that you used.

0
Louis
2/25/2005 1:00:24 AM
Hello,

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Debian User wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on
>  this computer?

Slackware 3.9/4.0.

3.9 was the same as 4.0 except that it used the 2.2 kernel (old computers
like old software). I ended up using a 2.4.xx Kernel down the road. Seems
like it took a very long time to actually compile the kernel.

Was it a useful machine??

I figured out that one could use the SVGA xserver to run the ATi GUP on
mine. I used the machine to backup all of my computers at the time. I hung
a 8mm tape drive off of the SCSI (maybe it was a 4mm DAT??).

> Proc 386
> Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( )

I haven't tried a 4 MB system, I have run mine w/ 8 and 16 MB. 16MB was
significantly better w/ X.

> HD 300M SCSI

The more the better. 4X 300 works well in a 80, but it rivaled the Kirby
in deciBels....

> Thks

Brad

--
Bradley M. Parker                  Systems Programmer II
Center for Computer-Aided Design   Computing/Simulation Services
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:41:48 -0600, Bradley Parker wrote:

You succeed to run XFree86 in 16 or 24 bits color depth ?
I had to install acceleratedX instead of XFree86 to get 16 bits.

> The more the better. 4X 300 works well in a 80, but it rivaled the Kirby
> in deciBels....

0
Emmanuel
2/26/2005 4:21:52 PM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:25:09 -0600, Bradley Parker wrote:

> Emmanuel,
>
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Emmanuel Mispreuve wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:41:48 -0600, Bradley Parker wrote:
>
>> You succeed to run XFree86 in 16 or 24 bits color depth ?
>
> No, just 8 bit. Some of the acceleration routines seemed to work.
> Performance was tolerable in the 8580.

I'm using my LACUNA 9577 ( 64Mb RAM, 83Mhz Overdrive, F/W SCSI ) everday,
also for browsing web etc. So I need at least 16 Bits (in 8 Bits it's
awfull). It works perfectly with Accelerated X and the MCA GUP (with
full acceleration). There were a copy of accelerated X at my
office . Accelerated-X version 6.0 is perhaps still available
@www.xig.com

>> I had to install acceleratedX instead of XFree86 to get 16 bits.
>
> Actually works with the MCA version of the GUP?  I was thinking that the
> Mach 8 server might work with the GUP, but only 8 bit modes with that
> server. Is it still available?  How much?
>
>> > The more the better. 4X 300 works well in a 80, but it rivaled the Kirby
>> > in deciBels....
>
> Brad

0
Emmanuel
2/27/2005 5:22:01 PM
Emmanuel,

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Emmanuel Mispreuve wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:41:48 -0600, Bradley Parker wrote:

> You succeed to run XFree86 in 16 or 24 bits color depth ?

No, just 8 bit. Some of the acceleration routines seemed to work.
Performance was tolerable in the 8580.

> I had to install acceleratedX instead of XFree86 to get 16 bits.

Actually works with the MCA version of the GUP?  I was thinking that the
Mach 8 server might work with the GUP, but only 8 bit modes with that
server. Is it still available?  How much?

> > The more the better. 4X 300 works well in a 80, but it rivaled the Kirby
> > in deciBels....

Brad