OS/2 gurus! Help with OS/2 config.sys Fwd: Trouble with a Personal System/2

Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.

Config.sys has been changed.

  Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this
was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.

  Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved
things.

please help . config.sys got changed os2 ibm indurstial computer-will
not boot?
0
Louis

In article <npapo.23064$qU5.8268@newsfe20.iad>,
Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> wrote:
> Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.
>
> Config.sys has been changed.
>
>   Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this
> was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.
>
>   Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved
> things.

1. Boot (C-A-D).

2. Wait for "boot blob" at top left corner of the screen (a white box, and
"OS/2").

3. Press Alt-F1.

4. Select "Boot to command prompt (use original CONFIG.SYS)" option.

5. Fix the CONFIG.SYS

Alternatively, boot to command prompt from the OS/2 installation diskettes.
--
Don Hills    (dmhills at attglobaldotnet)     Wellington, New Zealand
 preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
"Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message
> Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.
>
> Config.sys has been changed.
>
>  Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this
> was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.
>
>  Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved
> things.

For Warp 3 and 4, I'd recommend that you take backups of a couple of working
config.sys file(s), rename them to, say, config.y and .z and edit the
os2\boot\altf1bot.scr text appropriately and, maybe, also turn on desktop
archiving (right-click background and select Settings then Archive). You can
also enable a delayed start-up by displaying the Recovery Choices screen for
a non-zero number of seconds even if archiving isn't enabled.
--
Cheers,
    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
10/3/2010 12:00:37 PM
> >  Any way to boot in recovery mode?

SHIFTRUN is a utility which allows you to start a command interpreter at
boot time but there must be an entry in CONFIG.SYS to use it. Once in
command mode, you can edit and repair your startup [text] files and do some
more.

Another highly useful utility is the virtual floppy drive allowing you to
extract a compressed floppy to a virtual drive.

0
UZnal
10/3/2010 1:43:23 PM
Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> writes:

> Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.
>
> Config.sys has been changed.
>
>  Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if
> this was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.
>
>  Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing
> involved things.

You know in Kelly's Heroes when Oddball says something like, "Oh, I just drive
'em, I don't know how to make them work? :-)
0
Dan
10/10/2010 4:12:16 AM
Dan wrote:

> You know in Kelly's Heroes when Oddball says something like, "Oh, I just
> drive 'em, I don't know how to make them work? :-)
Yea, that job falls to Moriarity!  Always complaining, bad karma!
0
sctvguy1