VINTAGE IBM 5080 GRAPHICS COMPUTER SYSTEM CADAM auction

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5217530993<
Ends Jul-15-05 18:26:47 PDT
THE SYSTEM INCLUDES:
 * 5080 TOWER
 * 5081 MODEL 2 COLOR DISPLAY
 * PLT-23 KEYBOARD
 * 5083-1 CADAM PAD
 * CADAM KEYBOARD
 * DISPLAY MAINTENANCE BOOK

THE SYSTEM POWERS UP. HOWEVER, NOTHING SHOWS UP ON THE DISPLAY EVEN
THOUGH THE POWER LED LIGHTS UP. WE DO NOT HAVE SOFTWARE FOR THIS SYSTEM.
MAYBE THIS IS WHY THERE IS NO IMAGE? IF I HOLD A BUTTON IN ON THE BOTTOM
OF THE DISPLAY IT WILL LIGHT UP. WHEN YOU TURN THE UNIT OFF, IT FLASHES
LIKE A TV DOES. THE MANUAL THAT'S INCLUDED HAS TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS IN
IT.
--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

Louis Ohland wrote:
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5217530993<

Wow, I wish I had that one. Does anybody know where I can find further
information about the 5080?

Saskia
--
Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail
0
Saskia Bormann wrote:
> Wow, I wish I had that one. Does anybody know where I can find further
> information about the 5080?

You can find some rather uninteresting reading on the 5080 units by
searching the IBM Announcement Letters.  The 5085 Model 1 in this
auction is the granddaddy, slow and clunky.  As the seller has guessed,
he would need a 5085 IML diskette in order to get more than just a
raster pattern on his display.  Further, you'd need a 5088 control unit
attached to a mainframe computer (running some flavor of MVS as the
operating system, typically), along with the CADAM software (pricey
stuff, to be sure).

The more "interesting" item to this group would be the 5086 system
units, they used a 8560/8580 case shell.  The follow-on to the 5080
series was the 6090 series, and over time the 6090 was replaced by
RS/6000s, and CADAM was mostly replaced by CATIA.  You can still run
CATIA today, but you typically run the Windows client code on a
relatively standard PC.  Naturally, you want a fast processor, lots of
RAM and disk space, and a decent 2D/3D graphics adapter.

Rick Ekblaw

0
RickE
7/14/2005 12:35:01 AM
RickE wrote:

> Saskia Bormann wrote:
>> Wow, I wish I had that one. Does anybody know where I can find further
>> information about the 5080?
>
> You can find some rather uninteresting reading on the 5080 units by
> searching the IBM Announcement Letters.  The 5085 Model 1 in this
> auction is the granddaddy, slow and clunky.  As the seller has guessed,
> he would need a 5085 IML diskette in order to get more than just a
> raster pattern on his display.  Further, you'd need a 5088 control unit
> attached to a mainframe computer (running some flavor of MVS as the
> operating system, typically), along with the CADAM software (pricey
> stuff, to be sure).

Now, I wonder if there's a way to connect it to a PC running Hercules?
CADAM though would be the showstopper.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate