Apple now worth eleven times Dell's market value

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/

And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
proceeds...was he ever wrong.
0
Jim

On Sep 24, 5:35=A0pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/
>
> And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
> proceeds...was he ever wrong.

well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
0
ed
9/25/2010 1:57:49 AM
In article
<96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 5:35�pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> > http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/
> >
> > And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
> > proceeds...was he ever wrong.
>
> well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.

So? They were equally different back then too.
0
Jim
9/25/2010 5:06:49 AM
On Sep 24, 10:06=A0pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> In article
> <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
>
> =A0ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 24, 5:35=A0pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> > >http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/
>
> > > And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
> > > proceeds...was he ever wrong.
>
> > well... =A0he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> > apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
>
> So? They were equally different back then too.

eh?  apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
dell was talking about then.
0
ed
9/25/2010 6:25:01 AM
On Sep 25, 2:25=A0am, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
> On Sep 24, 10:06=A0pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
>
> > =A0ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> > > well... =A0he was wrong if you don't want to take context into accoun=
t-
> > > apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that=
..

> > So? They were equally different back then too.
>
> eh? =A0apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
> dell was talking about then.

It's called vision.  Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:

SJ Before he returned to Apple:
"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
worth =97 and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
Done. Microsoft won a long  time ago."

Even IBM saw that the personal computer industry was dead (i.e.
profitless) six years ago and sold their PC business to Dell.

But Dell thought they could keep being a cheap box maker.

0
KDT
9/25/2010 12:29:59 PM
In article
<7a46cc0e-ce3e-4a7d-9a08-a5fd33e25294@u31g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
 ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 10:06�pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> > In article
> > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > �ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> > > well... �he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> > > apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
> >
> > So? They were equally different back then too.
>
> eh?  apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
> dell was talking about then.

And we can see how well Dell's business model(making CHEAP hardware) has
fared! That along with the others who all have a hard time making money.

But not Apple, which is pretty much selling what they make.

The salient question is who is doing better business? It's hard to
dispute the success that Apple enjoys while being more diversified than
Dell.

For all your prattling of  business, you need to not ride the horse
you're on in this thread ed.
0
Jim
9/25/2010 12:55:46 PM
In article
<96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 5:35�pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> > http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/
> >
> > And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
> > proceeds...was he ever wrong.
>
> well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.

Dell made that comment in 1997, shortly after Jobs took over as interim
CEO. The next year Apple turned things around with the iMac, and then,
of course, followed up over subsequent years with the iPod, the iPhone,
and the iPad.

Apple is a different company today precisely because Jobs saw the
potential then, and used it to build Apple into what it is now. Michael
Dell obviously failed to see that potential.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
On Sep 25, 8:29=A0am, KDT <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2:25=A0am, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 24, 10:06=A0pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
>
> > > In article
> > > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> > > So? They were equally different back then too.
>
> > eh? =A0apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple tha=
> > dell was talking about then.
>
> It's called vision. =A0Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:
>
> SJ Before he returned to Apple:
> "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
> worth =97 and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
> Done. Microsoft won a long =A0time ago."
>
> Even IBM saw that the personal computer industry was dead (i.e.
> profitless) six years ago and sold their PC business to Dell.

uhh that should be Lenovo not Dell.

> But Dell thought they could keep being a cheap box maker.

0
KDT
9/25/2010 4:22:09 PM

"KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sep 25, 2:25 am, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 10:06 pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
>>
>> > In article
>> > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

>> > So? They were equally different back then too.
>>
>> eh?  apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
>> dell was talking about then.
>

> It's called vision.  Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:
>
> SJ Before he returned to Apple:
> "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
> worth � and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
> Done. Microsoft won a long  time ago."

So even Jobs admitted that OSX was a POS.

0
Redjak
9/25/2010 7:35:43 PM
On Sep 25, 3:35=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "KDT" <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> eh? =A0apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple th=
at
> >> dell was talking about then.
>
> > It's called vision. =A0Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:
>
> > SJ Before he returned to Apple:
> > "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
> > worth =97 and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
> > Done. Microsoft won a long =A0time ago."
>
> So even Jobs admitted that OSX was a POS.

So OS X was around in 1996?
0
KDT
9/25/2010 8:02:01 PM
In article <i7liue$gl5$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> eh?  apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
> >> dell was talking about then.
> >

> > It's called vision.  Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:
> >
> > SJ Before he returned to Apple:
> > "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
> > worth � and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
> > Done. Microsoft won a long  time ago."
>
> So even Jobs admitted that OSX was a POS.

You dolt. OS X wasn't around when SJ returned to Apple.
0
Jim
9/25/2010 9:21:06 PM
"ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message
> In article
> <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
> ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 24, 5:35 pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
>> > http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/
>> >
>> > And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
>> > proceeds...was he ever wrong.
>>
>> well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
>> apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
>
> Dell made that comment in 1997, shortly after Jobs took over as interim
> CEO. The next year Apple turned things around with the iMac, and then,
> of course, followed up over subsequent years with the iPod, the iPhone,
> and the iPad.

So there were two sucessful products in thirteen years and a possibly four.

> Apple is a different company today precisely because Jobs saw the
> potential then, and used it to build Apple into what it is now. Michael
> Dell obviously failed to see that potential.

So Jobs was a seer, and Dell wasn't.

0
Redhart
9/26/2010 1:29:52 AM
In article <lmxno.3719$MQ1.2834@newsfe22.iad>,
 "Redhart" <Hartley.R@verizon.com> wrote:

> "ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article
> > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
> > ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> >> well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> >> apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
> >
> > Dell made that comment in 1997, shortly after Jobs took over as interim
> > CEO. The next year Apple turned things around with the iMac, and then,
> > of course, followed up over subsequent years with the iPod, the iPhone,
> > and the iPad.
>
> So there were two sucessful products in thirteen years and a possibly four.

Not "products". Apple successfully expanded into three major new markets
-- growing those markets substantially in the process. How many other
companies can you name that successfully enter a major new market every
three or four years?

> > Apple is a different company today precisely because Jobs saw the
> > potential then, and used it to build Apple into what it is now. Michael
> > Dell obviously failed to see that potential.
>
> So Jobs was a seer, and Dell wasn't.

Evidently.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
ZnU
9/26/2010 3:35:01 AM
In message <lmxno.3719$MQ1.2834@newsfe22.iad>
  Redhart <Hartley.R@verizon.com> wrote:

> "ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article
>> <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
>> ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

>>> well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
>>> apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
>>
>> Dell made that comment in 1997, shortly after Jobs took over as interim
>> CEO. The next year Apple turned things around with the iMac, and then,
>> of course, followed up over subsequent years with the iPod, the iPhone,
>> and the iPad.

> So there were two sucessful products in thirteen years and a possibly four.

The iMac was successful, every computer Apple's released since the iMac
has been successful. OS X has been successful. The iPod has been
successful. The iPhone has been successful. Apple has grown to be larger
than Microsoft, has 0 debt, nearly $50 BILLION in cash, and has more
people using OS X than ever used Mac OS <X and Apple //s *combined*.

> So Jobs was a seer, and Dell wasn't.

Dell is overseeing his eponymous company's death spiral. It has lost
significant value (it's worth about 1/3? a 1/4? What it was 13 years
ago) and it has no model for making money. Everything is on razor thin
margins and there is no reason for anyone to buy from Dell over anyone
else but habit.

--
'And I promise you this,' he [Carrot] shouted, 'if we succeed, no-one
will remember. And if we fail, no one will forget!' --Jingo
In article
<7a46cc0e-ce3e-4a7d-9a08-a5fd33e25294@u31g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
 ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 10:06�pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> > In article
> > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > �ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> > > well... �he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> > > apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.
> >
> > So? They were equally different back then too.
>
> eh?  apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
> dell was talking about then.

Yeah, isn't that the entire point? Dell made a comment that predicted
that a specific action would be the best for Apples future. Steve Jobs
(and others) didn't listen and choose another path - and as a result
is another company today.

--
Sandman[.net]
0

> >> eh?  apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple that
> >> dell was talking about then.
> >

> > It's called vision.  Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:
> >
> > SJ Before he returned to Apple:
> > "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
> > worth � and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
> > Done. Microsoft won a long  time ago."
>
> So even Jobs admitted that OSX was a POS.

Troll chronology FAIL.

--
Sandman[.net]
0

"Lewis" <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message
> In message <lmxno.3719$MQ1.2834@newsfe22.iad>
>  Redhart <Hartley.R@verizon.com> wrote:
>
>> "ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message
>>> In article
>>> <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Dell made that comment in 1997, shortly after Jobs took over as interim
>>> CEO. The next year Apple turned things around with the iMac, and then,
>>> of course, followed up over subsequent years with the iPod, the iPhone,
>>> and the iPad.
>
>> So there were two sucessful products in thirteen years and a possibly
>> four.
>
> The iMac was successful, every computer Apple's released since the iMac
> has been successful. OS X has been successful.

So successful that Macs and OSX only control 4% of the world market.

>The iPod has been
> successful.

Yes - just like McDonalds is successful.  They sold a lot, doesn't make it a
good product, remember?

>The iPhone has been successful.

If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer the
iPhone has going against real competition.

>Apple has grown to be larger
> than Microsoft, has 0 debt, nearly $50 BILLION in cash, and has more
> people using OS X than ever used Mac OS <X and Apple //s *combined*.

I look at net profits.  And MS is clearly ahead.  And why you people keep
comparing a software company with an electronic gadget company puzzles me.
And only fools believe that Apple is larger than MS.

>> So Jobs was a seer, and Dell wasn't.
>
> Dell is overseeing his eponymous company's death spiral. It has lost
> significant value (it's worth about 1/3? a 1/4? What it was 13 years
> ago) and it has no model for making money. Everything is on razor thin
> margins and there is no reason for anyone to buy from Dell over anyone
> else but habit.

The "Dell" model was revolutionary.  And Michael Dells net worth is twice
that of Steve Jobs. I don't think Michael Dell has anything to be ashamed
of.  So who is the better businessman, one who brought an excellent product
to the world at value dollars,  or one who has sold mediocre junk to a few
elitists for overblown prices?

It's hard to believe, but yes, it's a cult.

0
Redjak
9/26/2010 12:27:20 PM

"Jim" <jpolaski@NoSamync.net> wrote in message
> In article <i7liue$gl5$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > It's called vision.  Jobs had it Michael Dell didn't:
>> >
>> > SJ Before he returned to Apple:
>> > "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's
>> > worth < and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
>> > Done. Microsoft won a long  time ago."
>>
>> So even Jobs admitted that OSX was a POS.
>
> You dolt. OS X wasn't around when SJ returned to Apple.

Jobs is a seer, remember?

0
Redjak
9/26/2010 12:43:19 PM
In article <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Lewis" <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message
> > In message <lmxno.3719$MQ1.2834@newsfe22.iad>
> >  Redhart <Hartley.R@verizon.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message

> >> So there were two sucessful products in thirteen years and a possibly
> >> four.
> >
> > The iMac was successful, every computer Apple's released since the iMac
> > has been successful. OS X has been successful.
>
> So successful that Macs and OSX only control 4% of the world market.

The 4% that is profitable?

> >The iPod has been
> > successful.
>
> Yes - just like McDonalds is successful.  They sold a lot, doesn't make it a
> good product, remember?

Not exactly the same.  McD makes small profits per unit, that can't be
said about anything Apple sells.

> >The iPhone has been successful.
>
> If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer the
> iPhone has going against real competition.

OK, we can wait for those 'iPhone killers' to just ruin Apple's profits.

> >Apple has grown to be larger
> > than Microsoft, has 0 debt, nearly $50 BILLION in cash, and has more
> > people using OS X than ever used Mac OS <X and Apple //s *combined*.
>
> I look at net profits.  And MS is clearly ahead.  And why you people keep
> comparing a software company with an electronic gadget company puzzles me.
> And only fools believe that Apple is larger than MS.

Well, them and the stock market...

> >> So Jobs was a seer, and Dell wasn't.
> >
> > Dell is overseeing his eponymous company's death spiral. It has lost
> > significant value (it's worth about 1/3? a 1/4? What it was 13 years
> > ago) and it has no model for making money. Everything is on razor thin
> > margins and there is no reason for anyone to buy from Dell over anyone
> > else but habit.
>
> The "Dell" model was revolutionary.  And Michael Dells net worth is twice
> that of Steve Jobs. I don't think Michael Dell has anything to be ashamed
> of.  So who is the better businessman, one who brought an excellent product
> to the world at value dollars,  or one who has sold mediocre junk to a few
> elitists for overblown prices?

Dell made their money selling commodity products at commodity pricing
and profits.  And now they are paying for that.  No really new products,
falling profits...

> It's hard to believe, but yes, it's a cult.

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
9/26/2010 12:58:51 PM

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydparsons@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "Lewis" <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message

>> > The iMac was successful, every computer Apple's released since the iMac
>> > has been successful. OS X has been successful.
>>
>> So successful that Macs and OSX only control 4% of the world market.
>>
> The 4% that is profitable?

hey are all "profitable".

>> >The iPod has been
>> > successful.
>>
>> Yes - just like McDonalds is successful.  They sold a lot, doesn't make
>> it a
>> good product, remember?
>>
> Not exactly the same.  McD makes small profits per unit, that can't be
> said about anything Apple sells.

Does MD make a profit?

>> >The iPhone has been successful.
>>
>> If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer
>> the
>> iPhone has going against real competition.
>>
> OK, we can wait for those 'iPhone killers' to just ruin Apple's profits.

I'm looking forward.

>> >Apple has grown to be larger
>> > than Microsoft, has 0 debt, nearly $50 BILLION in cash, and has more
>> > people using OS X than ever used Mac OS <X and Apple //s *combined*.
>>
>> I look at net profits.  And MS is clearly ahead.  And why you people keep
>> comparing a software company with an electronic gadget company puzzles
>> me.
>> And only fools believe that Apple is larger than MS.
>>
> Well, them and the stock market...

Yeah - put your money in, that's what the people who manipulate it want.

>> > Dell is overseeing his eponymous company's death spiral. It has lost
>> > significant value (it's worth about 1/3? a 1/4? What it was 13 years
>> > ago) and it has no model for making money. Everything is on razor thin
>> > margins and there is no reason for anyone to buy from Dell over anyone
>> > else but habit.
>>
>> The "Dell" model was revolutionary.  And Michael Dells net worth is twice
>> that of Steve Jobs. I don't think Michael Dell has anything to be ashamed
>> of.  So who is the better businessman, one who brought an excellent
>> product
>> to the world at value dollars,  or one who has sold mediocre junk to a
>> few
>> elitists for overblown prices?
>>
> Dell made their money selling commodity products at commodity pricing
> and profits.  And now they are paying for that.  No really new products,
> falling profits...

And they are still profitable.

And Michael Dell is worth twice as much as Steve Jobs.  IOW; twice as
successful.

 It's hard to believe, but yes, it is a cult.

0
Redjak
9/26/2010 3:03:31 PM
On Sep 25, 5:55=A0am, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> =A0ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 24, 10:06=A0pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e...@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> > > So? They were equally different back then too.
>
> > eh? =A0apple now, is essentially a different company than the apple tha=
> > dell was talking about then.
>
> And we can see how well Dell's business model(making CHEAP hardware) has
> fared! That along with the others who all have a hard time making money.
>
> But not Apple, which is pretty much selling what they make.
>
> The salient question is who is doing better business? It's hard to
> dispute the success that Apple enjoys while being more diversified than
> Dell.

absolutely.  but bringing up a comment from over a decade ago which
essentially doesn't apply to today is useful, interesting, insightful,
or worthy of discussion in what way?

> For all your prattling of =A0business, you need to not ride the horse
> you're on in this thread ed.

?
0
ed
9/27/2010 2:28:56 AM
On Sep 26, 10:28=A0pm, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> absolutely. =A0but bringing up a comment from over a decade ago which
> essentially doesn't apply to today is useful, interesting, insightful,
> or worthy of discussion in what way?

Yes because it shows who had vision and was able to execute that
vision.  Micheal Dell thought that he could keep pushing commodity
boxes forever.  SJ said what he would do if he were running Apple a
year before he came back and did exactly what he said he was going to
do. He stopped the needless fighting with MS, and moved on to the next
great thing.
0
KDT
9/27/2010 3:26:06 AM
In message <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>
  Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer the
> iPhone has going against real competition.

Riiight. Still waiting for all those iPod killers to materialize. It's
been almost 10 years now and not one of the HUNDREDS of devices released
that were all 'clearly better' than the iPod have made even the smallest
dent in their sales.

I'm sure there will be many hundreds of 'better' iphone killers in the
next decade that will have just as much effect as their music playing
cousins.

I've still never seen a Zune outside of a store display, but I see
dozens of iPods a day.

--
This is to say: while it was true that they had just appeared in this
particular set of dimensions, it was also true that they had been living

> In message <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>
>  Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer
>> the
>> iPhone has going against real competition.
>
> Riiight. Still waiting for all those iPod killers to materialize. It's
> been almost 10 years now and not one of the HUNDREDS of devices released
> that were all 'clearly better' than the iPod have made even the smallest
> dent in their sales.
>
> I'm sure there will be many hundreds of 'better' iphone killers in the
> next decade that will have just as much effect as their music playing
> cousins.
>
> I've still never seen a Zune outside of a store display, but I see
> dozens of iPods a day.

Still hoping that the iPod is going to prop up Apples Mac sales?

McDonalds sell the most burgers.

0
Redjak
9/27/2010 12:23:31 PM
On 9/27/10 7:23 AM, Redjak wrote:

> McDonald's sell the most burgers.

So they do, what is your point, zara? Do you get a boner every time you
mention McDonald's?
0
Chance
9/27/2010 3:56:50 PM
ed stated in post
96ede7b7-4cba-497f-a3b3-9015b811e0c0@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com on 9/24/10
6:57 PM:

> On Sep 24, 5:35�pm, Jim <jpola...@NoSamync.net> wrote:
>> http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/26809/
>>
>> And to think MD thought Apple should sell and distribute the
>> proceeds...was he ever wrong.
>
> well...  he was wrong if you don't want to take context into account-
> apple today is essentially a different company than when he said that.

You mean tech companies have changed over time?  They are not focused on
just the same markets nor selling the same thing?

Wow.  That is amazing news.  :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Snit
9/27/2010 3:58:00 PM
In article <slrnia095k.e0j.g.kreme@ibook-g4.local>,
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>
>   Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer the
> > iPhone has going against real competition.
>
> Riiight. Still waiting for all those iPod killers to materialize. It's
> been almost 10 years now and not one of the HUNDREDS of devices released
> that were all 'clearly better' than the iPod have made even the smallest
> dent in their sales.

You'd think that by now, Apple's detractors would just admit to
themselves that they have no idea what actually makes for a successful
consumer product. Instead, they keep making the same sort of moronic
predictions of failure for Apple products based on the same irrelevant
criteria.

[snip]

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
ZnU
9/27/2010 7:48:46 PM
In message <i7q2c4$va7$1@news.eternal-september.org>
  Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Still hoping that the iPod is going to prop up Apples Mac sales?

Apple's Mac sales continue to increase, and 50% of their computers are
sold to people who've never owned a Mac before.

--
Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its
tendency to bend at the knees. --Feet of Clay
In message <i7q2c4$va7$1@news.eternal-september.org>
  Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Still hoping that the iPod is going to prop up Apples Mac sales?

"Apple sold a record 3.472 million Macs in the third quarter, up 33
percent from 2.603 last year, nearly double the 1.734 million Macs sold
just four years ago."

--
Love seekest only self to please, To bind another to its delight Joys in
another's loss of ease And builds a hell in Heaven's despite!

> In message <i7q2c4$va7$1@news.eternal-september.org>
>  Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Still hoping that the iPod is going to prop up Apples Mac sales?
>
> "Apple sold a record 3.472 million Macs in the third quarter, up 33
> percent from 2.603 last year, nearly double the 1.734 million Macs sold
> just four years ago."

Problem is, we have heard these stories of "record" growth for years.  But
Macs are still stuck in the same old spot.  Remember the good old days when
Macs held over 20% world market share?

0
Redjak
9/27/2010 11:30:28 PM
In article <i7r9em$jm3$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Lewis" <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message
> > In message <i7q2c4$va7$1@news.eternal-september.org>
> >  Redjak <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Still hoping that the iPod is going to prop up Apples Mac sales?
> >
> > "Apple sold a record 3.472 million Macs in the third quarter, up 33
> > percent from 2.603 last year, nearly double the 1.734 million Macs sold
> > just four years ago."
>
> Problem is, we have heard these stories of "record" growth for years.  But
> Macs are still stuck in the same old spot.  Remember the good old days when
> Macs held over 20% world market share?

You mean when they really weren't as profitable as today?

Apple today is holding on to the most profitable part of the computer
market and leaving the pennies of relative profit for all the Wintel
bunch.

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
9/28/2010 12:05:02 AM
On Sep 27, 7:30=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Lewis" <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message

> > In message <i7q2c4$va...@news.eternal-september.org>
> > =A0Redjak <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Still hoping that the iPod is going to prop up Apples Mac sales?
>
> > "Apple sold a record 3.472 million Macs in the third quarter, up 33
> > percent from 2.603 last year, nearly double the 1.734 million Macs sold
> > just four years ago."
>
> Problem is, we have heard these stories of "record" growth for years. =A0=
But
> Macs are still stuck in the same old spot. =A0Remember the good old days =
when
> Macs held over 20% world market share?

When was that?
0
KDT
9/28/2010 2:53:15 AM
In article <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Lewis" <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message
> > In message <lmxno.3719$MQ1.2834@newsfe22.iad>
> >  Redhart <Hartley.R@verizon.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message

> >> So there were two sucessful products in thirteen years and a possibly
> >> four.
> >
> > The iMac was successful, every computer Apple's released since the iMac
> > has been successful. OS X has been successful.
>
> So successful that Macs and OSX only control 4% of the world market.
>

> >The iPod has been
> > successful.
>
> Yes - just like McDonalds is successful.  They sold a lot, doesn't make it a
> good product, remember?

Then you agree Windows isn't very good either though it sells a lot.

> >The iPhone has been successful.
>
> If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer the
> iPhone has going against real competition.
>
> >Apple has grown to be larger
> > than Microsoft, has 0 debt, nearly $50 BILLION in cash, and has more
> > people using OS X than ever used Mac OS <X and Apple //s *combined*.
>
> I look at net profits.  And MS is clearly ahead.  And why you people keep
> comparing a software company with an electronic gadget company puzzles me.
> And only fools believe that Apple is larger than MS.
>
> >> So Jobs was a seer, and Dell wasn't.
> >
> > Dell is overseeing his eponymous company's death spiral. It has lost
> > significant value (it's worth about 1/3? a 1/4? What it was 13 years
> > ago) and it has no model for making money. Everything is on razor thin
> > margins and there is no reason for anyone to buy from Dell over anyone
> > else but habit.
>
> The "Dell" model was revolutionary.  And Michael Dells net worth is twice
> that of Steve Jobs. I don't think Michael Dell has anything to be ashamed
> of.  So who is the better businessman, one who brought an excellent product
> to the world at value dollars,  or one who has sold mediocre junk to a few
> elitists for overblown prices?

Dell's model of making "cheap" hardware is revolutionary? Please....

> It's hard to believe, but yes, it's a cult.

No more than Windows is.
0
Mike
9/28/2010 5:22:06 AM

"Mike" <mike@nonnfaba.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <i7ne7a$mib$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "Lewis" <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote in message

>> > The iMac was successful, every computer Apple's released since the iMac
>> > has been successful. OS X has been successful.
>>
>> So successful that Macs and OSX only control 4% of the world market.
>>

>> >The iPod has been
>> > successful.
>>
>> Yes - just like McDonalds is successful.  They sold a lot, doesn't make
>> it a
>> good product, remember?
>
> Then you agree Windows isn't very good either though it sells a lot.
>

>> >The iPhone has been successful.
>>
>> If you consider short term sales as success.  Lets see how much longer
>> the
>> iPhone has going against real competition.
>>
>> >Apple has grown to be larger
>> > than Microsoft, has 0 debt, nearly $50 BILLION in cash, and has more
>> > people using OS X than ever used Mac OS <X and Apple //s *combined*.
>>
>> I look at net profits.  And MS is clearly ahead.  And why you people keep
>> comparing a software company with an electronic gadget company puzzles
>> me.
>> And only fools believe that Apple is larger than MS.

>> > Dell is overseeing his eponymous company's death spiral. It has lost
>> > significant value (it's worth about 1/3? a 1/4? What it was 13 years
>> > ago) and it has no model for making money. Everything is on razor thin
>> > margins and there is no reason for anyone to buy from Dell over anyone
>> > else but habit.
>>
>> The "Dell" model was revolutionary.  And Michael Dells net worth is twice
>> that of Steve Jobs. I don't think Michael Dell has anything to be ashamed
>> of.  So who is the better businessman, one who brought an excellent
>> product
>> to the world at value dollars,  or one who has sold mediocre junk to a
>> few
>> elitists for overblown prices?
>
> Dell's model of making "cheap" hardware is revolutionary? Please....

Here, learn something, you stupid, unwashed slob

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4963888_dell-marketing-strategies.html

Michael Dell founded Dell in 1984 while he was a student at the University
of Texas at Austin. Michael Dell believed that consumers would value the
ability to customize their computers and purchase them directly from the
manufacturer rather than through a retail store. Consequently, Dell's
initial marketing strategy was to convince individual and corporate computer
purchasers to buy computers directly from Dell via the Internet. In its
early years, Dell targeted most of its marketing efforts at medium and large
businesses that needed to purchase numerous highly customized computers that
would fit seamlessly with their business processes. Dell began advertising
at electronics trade shows, in trade magazines and through other mediums
targeted at corporate chief technology officers, who were responsible for
their companies' computer purchases. In marketing to these executives, Dell
highlighted the ease of customizability, the simplicity of placing orders
through Dell's website and Dell's rapid order fulfillment abilities. The
company also promoted its "Premier Pages" service, which provides corporate
customers with 24-hour technical support services. This marketing effort
allowed Dell to become a dominant supplier of computers to medium and large
businesses in the 1990s and early 2000s.

And:

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3497.html

Account selection. Dell purposely selected customers with relatively
predictable purchasing patterns and low service costs. The company developed
a core competence in targeting customers, and kept a massive database for
this purpose. A large portion of Dell's business stemmed from long-term
corporate relationship accounts-customers having predictable needs closely
tied to their budget cycles. For these, Dell developed powerful
customer-specific intranet Web sites with predetermined custom
specifications and budgets. The remainder of Dell's business involved
individual consumers. To obtain stable demand in this segment, Dell used
higher price-points and the latest technology products to target second-time
buyers who had regular upgrade purchase patterns, required little technical
support, and paid by credit card.

That's why he's worth twice as much as Jobs, Slob.

0
Redjak
9/28/2010 2:30:07 PM
In article
<a350d292-14e9-47cd-b072-3a0c852a7dd9@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
 KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sep 26, 10:28�pm, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
>
> > absolutely. �but bringing up a comment from over a decade ago which
> > essentially doesn't apply to today is useful, interesting, insightful,
> > or worthy of discussion in what way?
>
> Yes because it shows who had vision and was able to execute that
> vision.  Micheal Dell thought that he could keep pushing commodity
> boxes forever.  SJ said what he would do if he were running Apple a
> year before he came back and did exactly what he said he was going to
> do. He stopped the needless fighting with MS, and moved on to the next
> great thing.

Exactly.
0
Jim

Apple now worth triple Dell's market value
On October 6, 1997, in response to the question of what he'd do if he was in charge of Apple Computer, Dell founder and then CEO Michael Dell stood before a crowd of several thousand IT executives and answered flippantly, "What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders." A little more than a month later, on November 10, 1997, new Apple Interim CEO (iCEO) Steve Jobs responded, speaking in front of an image of Michael Dell's bulls-eye covered face, "We're coming after you, you're in our sights." On January 13, 2006, ...

Apple Market Value Soars Past Dell's
"Apple Market Value Soars Past Dell's on Mac, IPod: Ten years ago this month, Dell Inc. founder Michael Dell said Steve Jobs should 'shut down' Apple Inc. and return the money to shareholders. Dell then had a market value of $4 billion to Apple's $700 million. Apple's valuation has since soared to $150 billion, more than double that of its personal-computer rival. Last month, Apple passed PC leader Hewlett-Packard Co. in market capitalization for the first time." More here: http://tinyurl.com/2nm27p ...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/lin...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Apple's Mac OS X, iOS now fueling 3.5 times the profits of Microsoft Windows
From Apple Insider: http://tinyurl.com/3bay2dz Apple's Mac OS X, iOS now fueling 3.5 times the profits of Microsoft Windows By Daniel Eran Dilger Published: 05:00 PM EST Apple's dramatic growth in hardware sales has reversed the longstanding notion that software licensing is the best way to make money in the tech industry. A revenue comparison published by Asymco blogger Horace Dediu demonstrates that Apple's hardware-centric business model is now enabling the company to generate 3.5 times the profits earned by Microsoft licensing Windows to third party PC makers. While both companies have long developed rival desktop and mobile operating systems, Apple has almost exclusively used its software to drive hardware sales, while Microsoft has derived almost all of its Windows-based revenue by licensing its software to others. During the 1990s however, Microsoft quickly outpaced Apple's growth in both revenues and profits by bringing DOS and then Windows to a much wider audience, prompting observers to insist that Apple needed to mimic the same business model to remain relevant. Apple eventually began licensing both its Mac OS and its Newton OS, but neither effort resulted in success. After founder Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997, the company terminated both of its operating system licensing programs and began focusing on using its software assets to sell the company's own hardware instead. While ot...

First is was iPods, now it's Macs! Mac Advocacy
http://tinyurl.com/6sawx Or so the author says. Seems at least here, the college kids are buying a lot of Macs because of the iPod along with the fact that Mac Laptops are cheaper than their Dell cousins. Seems the college crowd is providing the Mac Advocacy. -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return" In article <jpolaski-CC78AF.11530722092004@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSpaMync.net> wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/6sawx > > Or so the author says. Seems at least here, the college kids ...

Study: Apple's Mac OS X 'world's safest and most secure' operating system
http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3766_0_1_0 AeoN wrote: > > http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3766_0_1_0 Taking after windopes in more ways than one. 1. Its not GNU/Linux and therefore nothing to do with Linux. 2. Its not free and you have to pay. 3. Its closed source. 2. I can't count. It is clearly world's safest and most secure operating system (not - only 80 holes fixed that last time they did a patch, so if there were 81 bugs, you are fscked now! - clever ain't it?) 5. So what happened when they started claiming their PCs were the...

Apple's success, Dell's demise
http://www.cnbc.com/id/33403139 -- Jim "Jim" <jim@NOSpaMync.net> wrote in message news:jim-3949C8.11474321102009@nntp.teranews.com... > http://www.cnbc.com/id/33403139 > > -- > Jim Dell falls, HP rises, Apple remains stagnant. On 10/21/2009 12:47 PM, Jim wrote: > http://www.cnbc.com/id/33403139 Very interesting! Have you seen the chart? In 2007 and 2009, Apple's shares go up 133% In 2008, it goes down 57%, only 1% less than Dell. Comes next bubble burst -- and it's going much worst than the last one, a real blow out -- Apple might not fare ...

Apple's worth more than IBM....who's next?
http://www.google.com/finance?q=AAPL+DELL+HPQ+SNE+GOOG+ ...

Gartner: Apple's Q4 Mac Sales Up, But U.S. Market Share Slips to 7.5%
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/gartner_apples_q4_mac_sales_up_but_u.s._market_share_slips_to_7.5/ Gartner: Apple's Q4 Mac Sales Up, But U.S. Market Share Slips to 7.5% January 14th, 2010 at 4:08 PM - News by Bryan Chaffin Apple's Mac unit sales rose in the December quarter of 2009, but the company saw a somewhat rare year-over-year decrease in market share, according to a report published by research firm Gartner. The firm said that Apple sold some 1.483 million Macs in the U.S. during the quarter, a 23.3% increase over the prior year and enough to keep Apple i...

Apple's Market Cap Closing In On Microsoft's
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-market-cap-apple-vs-microsoft-200 9-11 -- Mike On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:08:02 -0800, Mike wrote (in article <mike-F6D215.10080213112009@nntp.teranews.com>): > http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-market-cap-apple-vs-microsoft- > 200 > 9-11 > How long, indeed! That will be nice. So much for "Market Share", eh WinTrolls? On Nov 13, 12:59=A0pm, Fa-groon <fa-gr...@mad.com> wrote: > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:08:02 -0800, Mike wrote > (in article <mike-F6D215.10080213112...@nntp.teranews.com>): > > > > http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-market-cap-apple-vs-m... > > > 200 > > 9-11 > > How long, indeed! That will be nice. So much for "Market Share", eh > WinTrolls? Market share is still more important. MSFT has such a huge advantage all new products come out with MSFT in mind. Apple bilking their customers for huge margins only benefits Steve Jobs. In article <1444129b-653f-47a0-b59a-b4507988b94b@h34g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > On Nov 13, 12:59�pm, Fa-groon <fa-gr...@mad.com> wrote: > > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:08:02 -0800, Mike wrote > > (in article <mike-F6D215.10080213112...@nntp.teranews.com>): > > > > > > > > http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-market-cap-...

THE MAC IS STILL IN BUSINESS IT'S EASIER THAN YOU THINK ... More users are demanding Macs in the enterprise. Thanks to key computing shifts, supporting their appetite for Apple is now a straightforw
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/21/17FE-macs-in-business-tease_1.html ...

What's more scary? Alan Baker or Apple's Market share?
I'd have to say Alan Baker given his sullen past. Apple is no real threat. On Aug 5, 12:09=A0am, MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'd have to say Alan Baker given his sullen past. > > Apple is no real threat. bump On Aug 5, 10:14=A0am, MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Aug 5, 12:09=A0am, MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I'd have to say Alan Baker given his sullen past. > > > Apple is no real threat. > > bump ...

Apple's .Mac 'Backup' not working
Since I installed the latest Norton Internet Security the other night, my .Mac backup no longer is working :-( It might just be a coincedence, but now all that happens when I launch Backup is that it says that it is looking for iDisk, then indicates that it is reading the backup catalog. Then after a period of time, that dialog window closes and then nothing. No windows, no messages, nothing at all. I've tried it with both the Norton Firewall and Anti Virus disabled, same affect. Any ideas? Steve -- Stephen Finlay http://users.bigpond.net.au/PiquetStockade I've had the same proble...

Dell's sales growth almost Apple's entire year
http://news.com.com/Dell+beats+estimates%2C+sets+new+goal/2100-1047_3-5571697.html?tag=nefd.top Dell grew nearly as much in 2004 as Apple's entire year. Dell's growth was $7.8 billion compared to Apple's sales of $8.4 billion. Further, Dell's operating income was 8.8% of sales compared to Apple's 6.7%. So much for how profitable Apple is compared to it's competition. The next Dell sales target is $80 billion for 2007, and increase of $21 billion over the just-past year. In the next 2 years Dell will create 3 Apple-sized companies. Amazing. One has to wonder how s...

MSNBC on DELL: Let's market PCs like it's 1959
Dell launches 'Della,' a Web site geared to women and 'cute' netbooks http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30709961/ In article <a4b26785-bf4c-470f-a21a-3fa592625f32@u9g2000pre.googlegroups.com>, "gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com" <gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com> wrote: > Dell launches 'Della,' a Web site geared to women and 'cute' netbooks > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30709961/ Well, I guess if you're incapable of elegant and iconic design with universal appeal, putting pink bunnies on some of your machines might help a l...

Apple now worth triple Dell�s market value
Sweet justice: A stroll through history. Apple now worth triple Dell�s market value Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:10 AM EST <http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/15713/> > On October 6, 1997, in response to the question of what > he'd do if he was in charge of Apple Computer, Dell > founder and then CEO Michael Dell stood before a > crowd of several thousand IT executives and answered > flippantly, "What would I do? I'd shut it down and give > the money back to the shareholders." > > A little more than a month later, ...

The Mac's 'Troubling Low' Market Share
From Low End Mac: http://www.lowendmac.com/ed/fox/08ff/troubling-low-market-share.html Cuss and discuss, Wintrolls. The Mac's 'Troubling Low' Market Share Frank Fox 2008.04.29 For those who don't know him, Paul Thurrott is a sycophant for Microsoft. He likes to find any excuse to sling mud at Apple for the delight of his fans (and of course for the pleasure of MS.) Recently on his website, he was displaying the market share numbers for computer sales. This, of course, shows that Macs are only a small part of overall PC sales, and that is supposed to put us in our pla...

MacWorld's 'The best Mac games of all time'
<http://www.macworld.com/article/138428/2009/01/macat25_games.html> Some pretty good choices IMO. Marathon would be my pick of classic Mac games, with Escape Velocity not far behind. -- Frog blast the vent core! In article <1iu43mt.1i7vipa1uj6asN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>, jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: > <http://www.macworld.com/article/138428/2009/01/macat25_games.html> > > Some pretty good choices IMO. Marathon would be my pick of classic Mac > games, with Escape Velocity not far behind. Ayup... I also was pleas...

Apple's market share now 1.8%
http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5192569.html?tag=nefd.top Worldwide sales of new computers in Q1 '04: 41.3 millions (+17% year-over-year) Apple's worldwide sales in Q1 '04: 749,000 (+5% year-over-year) Carsten Hansen In article <KFIfc.35730$i74.825214@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Carsten Hansen <hansen.c@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5192569.html?tag=nefd.top > > Worldwide sales of new computers in Q1 '04: 41.3 millions (+17% > year-over-year) > Apple's worldwide sales in Q1 '04: 749,000 (+5% year-ov...

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

Apple's Mac Loses Market Share In May
http://www.businessinsider.com/mac-sales-about-as-bad-as-expected-in-may-ipod-worse-2009-6 Apple's Mac Loses Market Share In May, But Gains Revenue Share (AAPL) Dan Frommer Jun. 15, 2009, 6:45 PM "Mac unit sales were down 3% year-over-year in May, according to NPD. (The PC market as a whole was up 12% year-over-year.) That's slightly better than the 3.5% year-over-year drop that Munster predicted. iPod unit sales were down 18% year-over-year. That's worse than the 7.5% year-over-year drop that Munster predicted." ...

[News] GNU/Linux on a Mission to Eat Apple's (and Microsoft's) Market Share

Microsoft's Longhorn fantasy vs. Apple's Mac OS X reality
http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3449_0_1_0 ----- Start Quotes ----- Some in the industry believe that Microsoft could learn from one of its rivals -- Apple Computer Co. The Mac maker does a great job of keeping both its new hardware and software under wraps, then thrilling its fans with whizzy breakthroughs -- something it did once again in late August with the unveiling of its gorgeous new iMac computer. In contrast, when Microsoft doesn't deliver on its promises, it loses credibility with PC makers, software publishers, and customers. ----- End Quotes ----- Decent article...

Web resources about - Apple now worth eleven times Dell's market value - comp.sys.mac.advocacy