f



Comments about Mac -- Rookie to Mac but Oldie to Computers

Hi all,

When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch
commercials on TV and on Apple's website.  At that point I'd not
touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early
'90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check
OSX out.  The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Mac's was a lack of a
good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under
Darwin.

So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more
powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual
867/768 Mb/Ram).  It had OSX Jaguar and few add-on apps.  I toyed with
it for a few weeks and basically threw it in a corner rarely using it.
 At that point I had ran Linux exclusively at home for about 3 years,
and I was in love (for lack of a better work) with the Penguin :)

About 6 weeks ago I left for a week vacation to return with a clanking
HD on my Linux box.  Data was okay since I have two HD's mirrored for
data, but the main boot drive (/dev/hda) was hosed.  Instead of
running to the trusty computer shop I normally use, I slid this box
over and connected my Mac.  The friend I bought it from still had some
crap on the box, so using the restore disks I reinstalled Jaguar - and
the love began.

Jaguar installed perfectly, and within about an hour (after updates) I
was up and running.  Afterwards I downloaded Desktop Manager, Fire,
and some other nifty utils from Versiontracker along with Mozilla,
Aqua XChat, plus configured the Mac email app.

After a couple of weeks and talking to folks on IRC I decided to spend
the money for Panther.. where I installed it on a second HD.  I like
the ability to have multiple OS'es on multiple HD's so easily.  No
fubing with boot loaders or MBR's like on the PC.  After Panther was
installed and updates ran, installed some other utils from
Versiontracker plus Fink and X11.  I also bought UT2003 for Mac from
EBay, and the graphics are AWESOME!  Much clearer then they ever were
on PC - and I'm using the same 17" Viewsonic monitor as I did on PC.
hehe

So... speaking as someone who's used the Microsoft OS since MS-DOS
3.3, Windows since 3.1, and Linux since Red Hat 5.0... Mac OSX is by
far the most stable and streamline OS I've seen to date.  You have the
stability of Unix plus awesome application support. I have lots of
apps I'd love to get that I couldn't get for Linux (MS Office,
Photoshop, etc).

Will I continue to use Linux??  Of course.  But the Mac has definately
become my main box for now :)  I only wish Apple would drop the prices
of these suckers a bit more, which IMO is what prevents most from
switching.  If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used
at a nice price.

Thanks for listening and take care,

- Ringo -
0
rlangly (147)
8/3/2004 3:04:32 PM
comp.sys.mac.advocacy 34242 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
4400 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 20

In article <7d96e89e.0408030704.10f4c3a@posting.google.com>,
 rlangly@gmail.com (Ringo Langly) wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch
> commercials on TV and on Apple's website.  At that point I'd not
> touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early
> '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check
> OSX out.  The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Mac's was a lack of a
> good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under
> Darwin.
> 
> So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more
> powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual
> 867/768 Mb/Ram).  It had OSX Jaguar and few add-on apps.  I toyed with
> it for a few weeks and basically threw it in a corner rarely using it.
>  At that point I had ran Linux exclusively at home for about 3 years,
> and I was in love (for lack of a better work) with the Penguin :)
> 
> About 6 weeks ago I left for a week vacation to return with a clanking
> HD on my Linux box.  Data was okay since I have two HD's mirrored for
> data, but the main boot drive (/dev/hda) was hosed.  Instead of
> running to the trusty computer shop I normally use, I slid this box
> over and connected my Mac.  The friend I bought it from still had some
> crap on the box, so using the restore disks I reinstalled Jaguar - and
> the love began.
> 
> Jaguar installed perfectly, and within about an hour (after updates) I
> was up and running.  Afterwards I downloaded Desktop Manager, Fire,
> and some other nifty utils from Versiontracker along with Mozilla,
> Aqua XChat, plus configured the Mac email app.
> 
> After a couple of weeks and talking to folks on IRC I decided to spend
> the money for Panther.. where I installed it on a second HD.  I like
> the ability to have multiple OS'es on multiple HD's so easily.  No
> fubing with boot loaders or MBR's like on the PC.  After Panther was
> installed and updates ran, installed some other utils from
> Versiontracker plus Fink and X11.  I also bought UT2003 for Mac from
> EBay, and the graphics are AWESOME!  Much clearer then they ever were
> on PC - and I'm using the same 17" Viewsonic monitor as I did on PC.
> hehe
> 
> So... speaking as someone who's used the Microsoft OS since MS-DOS
> 3.3, Windows since 3.1, and Linux since Red Hat 5.0... Mac OSX is by
> far the most stable and streamline OS I've seen to date.  You have the
> stability of Unix plus awesome application support. I have lots of
> apps I'd love to get that I couldn't get for Linux (MS Office,
> Photoshop, etc).
> 
> Will I continue to use Linux??  Of course.  But the Mac has definately
> become my main box for now :)  I only wish Apple would drop the prices
> of these suckers a bit more, which IMO is what prevents most from
> switching.  If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
> you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used
> at a nice price.
> 
> Thanks for listening and take care,
> 
> - Ringo -

Welcome aboard. Your story is typical. Most people who actually try OSX 
with an open mind find it far superior to anything else out there and 
find that they love it after they get used to the fact that it's 
different from Windows or KDE or Gnome.

-- 
George Graves
------------------

Bush is a poor leader because he isn't very smart. 
What's Kerry's excuse gonna be?
0
gmgravesnos (8642)
8/3/2004 4:37:14 PM
> If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
> you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used
> at a nice price.

They do sell the eMac in that price range. Is it the latest, greatest 
hardware out there? Is it the world's most expandible machine? Nah.

Does it do what most home users out there need to do right out of the 
box with a minimum of fuss and setup? Yah. Could it last them the 5 or 6 
years of useful life they want to get out of it before buying another 
one? Yah. It's why iMac gen 1 sold, and why eMac gen (1) sells. 

We don't know what price range the september iMacs are going to come in 
at, but I've been hearing buzz lately that at least the lowest price one 
may not be $1300 this time. I really don't think they will release a 23" 
or 30" model, so I doubt they will climb the price ladder. 

A single G5 1.6 GHz AIO-LCD unit coming in at $1000 could be the 
schweetmeister. Dunno if they can do it. 

I still agree, tho, with the advocate semi-consensus that Apple could 
round out its CONSUMER lineup with a decent headless machine with an 
upgradeable graphics card.
0
seeker1 (389)
8/3/2004 8:08:53 PM
In article <7d96e89e.0408030704.10f4c3a@posting.google.com>, Ringo
Langly <rlangly@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch
> commercials on TV and on Apple's website.  At that point I'd not
> touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early
> '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check
> OSX out.  The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Macs was a lack of a
> good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under
> Darwin.
> 
> So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more
> powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual
> 867, 768MB RAM).  It had OSX Jaguar and few add-on apps.  I toyed with
> it for a few weeks and basically threw it in a corner rarely using it.
>  At that point I had ran Linux exclusively at home for about 3 years,
> and I was in love (for lack of a better work) with the Penguin :)
> 
> About 6 weeks ago I left for a week vacation to return with a clanking
> HD on my Linux box.  Data was okay since I have two HDs mirrored for
> data, but the main boot drive (/dev/hda) was hosed.  Instead of
> running to the trusty computer shop I normally use, I slid this box
> over and connected my Mac.  The friend I bought it from still had some
> crap on the box, so using the restore disks I reinstalled Jaguar, and
> the love began.
> 
> Jaguar installed perfectly, and within about an hour (after updates) I
> was up and running.  Afterwards I downloaded Desktop Manager, Fire,
> and some other nifty utils from Versiontracker along with Mozilla,
> Aqua XChat, plus configured the Mac email app.
> 
> After a couple of weeks and talking to folks on IRC I decided to spend
> the money for Panther.. where I installed it on a second HD.  I like
> the ability to have multiple OS'es on multiple HDs so easily.  No
> fubing with boot loaders or MBR's like on the PC.  After Panther was
> installed and updates ran, installed some other utils from
> Versiontracker plus Fink and X11.  I also bought UT2003 for Mac from
> EBay, and the graphics are AWESOME!  Much clearer then they ever were
> on PC - and I'm using the same 17" Viewsonic monitor as I did on PC.
> Hehe
> 
> So... speaking as someone who has used the Microsoft OS since MS-DOS
> 3.3, Windows since 3.1, and Linux since Red Hat 5.0... Mac OSX is by
> far the most stable and streamline OS I've seen to date.  You have the
> stability of Unix plus awesome application support. I have lots of
> apps I'd love to get that I couldn't get for Linux (MS Office,
> Photoshop, etc).
> 
> Will I continue to use Linux??  Of course.  But the Mac has definately
> become my main box for now :)  I only wish Apple would drop the prices
> of these suckers a bit more, which IMO is what prevents most from
> switching.  If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
> you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used
> at a nice price.
> 
> Thanks for listening and take care,
> 
> - Ringo -

I wonder what the MS drones will have to say about your positive
experience with OS X...
0
peejster01 (4380)
8/3/2004 11:50:06 PM
"Jim Lee Jr." <peejster01@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:<030820041850560416%peejster01@insightbb.com>...
> In article <7d96e89e.0408030704.10f4c3a@posting.google.com>, Ringo
> Langly <rlangly@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > Hi all,
> > 
> > When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch
> > commercials on TV and on Apple's website.  At that point I'd not
> > touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early
> > '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check
> > OSX out.  The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Macs was a lack of a
> > good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under
> > Darwin.
> >  -- snip --
> 
> I wonder what the MS drones will have to say about your positive
> experience with OS X...

Hi everyone...

Thanks for the replies.  I work and hang-out with a wide variety of
computer users, some being Linux, some Windows, and fewer Mac.  One of
my good friends also runs a local computer shop that services Windows
PC, and of course they're gung-ho Windows because it keeps them in a
job :)

Personally I'm totally open minded when it comes to computers, and
I'll admit for years I was against Mac because my thinking was "no
good commandline -- no good OS".  Being a Unix fan since college many
years ago and loving Linux as I do, OSX was a gimme to try out.

After working with Windows for so long, it's really put a bad taste in
my mouth, so moving to Linux a few years ago was awesome!  I found
myself at work on a daily basis wishing I was on Linux over Windows
because it was SO easy to get around and do what I needed to do in
Linux.  With the Mac, it's just as easy with MANY tasks much simpler
(setting-up network printers, configuring network services, etc) over
Linux even.

What I've found is Microsoft assumes EVERY user (even Network Admins)
are dumbasses and they need their hand held through EVERY process.  I
_hate_ wizards and can't stand having to go through MANY screens to
configure something.  Linux on the other hand is totally opposite in
that it assumes you know every detail about your box and are a guru --
which may aren't.  Mac is right in the middle.  Simple enough for
anyone to use and configure yet complex enough so the tweakers can
goto town and do ANYTHING they want.  For lack of a better word --
perfection!  Jobs has outdone himself IMO.

My Windows friends are like Republicans -- NOTHING will change their
mind and they'll never even consider trying Mac.  But the more folks I
show it off to the more they want to play with it.  IF it weren't so
expensive.

Take care,

- Ringo -
0
rlangly (147)
8/6/2004 2:11:39 PM
Reply: