Creating a A disk Image

Running 9.22 on a G4
I have a partition containing about 15gb.
I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3
would appear to have a limit of 2gb.
Is there a program out there like Norton Ghost for the PC world which would
manage this?

Regards
Chris Curtis

0
Chris

In article <8oSdnY0rNM5nzr_cRVn-ow@nildram.net>,
 "Chris Curtis" <ccurtis@nospam.net> wrote:

> Running 9.22 on a G4
> I have a partition containing about 15gb.
> I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3
> would appear to have a limit of 2gb.
> Is there a program out there like Norton Ghost for the PC world which would
> manage this?

Given that MacOS 9 isn't supported by Apple any more accept in terms of
the Classic environment, you might be out of luck here.  They wrote the
Disk Copy utility and define the format of an img file.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
8/17/2004 8:10:25 PM
>Running 9.22 on a G4
>I have a partition containing about 15gb.
>I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3
>would appear to have a limit of 2gb.

Correct.

This is not a limitation in Disk Copy. In OS 9, the maximum size of any file is
2 GB.

http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

0
tacitr
8/17/2004 8:15:15 PM
In article <20040817161515.12089.00003665@mb-m01.aol.com>,
 tacitr@aol.com (Tacit) wrote:

> >Running 9.22 on a G4
> >I have a partition containing about 15gb.
> >I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3
> >would appear to have a limit of 2gb.
>
> Correct.
>
> This is not a limitation in Disk Copy. In OS 9, the maximum size of any file
> is 2 GB.

Incorrect. From technote 1176, documenting Mac OS 9.0:

--
Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his
"standard output" to somewhere else, if he so chooses.  - Jeremy Nixon
0
Gregory
8/17/2004 9:51:02 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. So am I really trying to achieve the
impossible?!
Astonishing, to put it politely and mildly!
Is HFS+ the same as Mac OS Extended which I'm sure our drives are formatted
as?
Out of interest what do Mac people do. In the world of Microsoft the
creation of complete disk images using Norton Ghost or Drive Image has
become practically manadatory and a very useful part of a backup strategy.
Particularly after a re-installation which is where I am at the moment!

Regards
Chris Curtis

"Gregory Weston" <gwestonREMOVE@CAPSattbi.com> wrote in message
> In article <20040817161515.12089.00003665@mb-m01.aol.com>,
>  tacitr@aol.com (Tacit) wrote:
>
> > >Running 9.22 on a G4
> > >I have a partition containing about 15gb.
> > >I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy
6.3.3
> > >would appear to have a limit of 2gb.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > This is not a limitation in Disk Copy. In OS 9, the maximum size of any
file
> > is 2 GB.
>
> Incorrect. From technote 1176, documenting Mac OS 9.0:
>
> | The HFS+ API has been introduced with this version of the File
> | Manager. It includes support for large files (forks over 2GB - up
> | to a theoretical limit of 2^63 bytes in size), and long Unicode names.
>
> --
> Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a
bathroom,
> they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect
his
> "standard output" to somewhere else, if he so chooses.  - Jeremy Nixon

0
Chris
8/18/2004 1:50:51 PM
In article <Go2dnb5SUZgmw77cRVn-oQ@nildram.net>, Chris Curtis
<support@no_spam_nil-dram.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for your input everyone. So am I really trying to achieve the
> impossible?!

On OS 9, yes.  I believe Disk Utility on OS X can create larger disk
images.

> Out of interest what do Mac people do. In the world of Microsoft the
> creation of complete disk images using Norton Ghost or Drive Image has
> become practically manadatory and a very useful part of a backup strategy.

Many things are mandatory in the Windows world that are not in the Mac
world.  I wonder why you would need to put all this stuff on a disk
image, rather than simply copying it into a folder on your backup
volume.  On OS 9, this is trivial.  A simple copy from one volume to
the other should be sufficient.  Restoration is similarly easy.  OS X
complicates things with all the hidden Unix files, permissions issues,
etc, but it is still doable (especially using utilities like Carbon
Copy Cloner).

--
-Thomas

<http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
0
Thomas
8/18/2004 2:03:24 PM
In article <180820041003249366%thomasareed@dont.spam.me>,
 Thomas Reed <thomasareed@dont.spam.me> wrote:

> In article <Go2dnb5SUZgmw77cRVn-oQ@nildram.net>, Chris Curtis
> <support@no_spam_nil-dram.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your input everyone. So am I really trying to achieve the
> > impossible?!
>
> On OS 9, yes.  I believe Disk Utility on OS X can create larger disk
> images.

I can confirm that on OS X (certainly Panther) it can.  I use it to have
an encrypted removable disk (physical disk essentially contains one
file, the encrypted disk image).

                 Dave
0
David
8/18/2004 2:13:35 PM
Thank you Thomas! I like trivia...
So if I create a Mac formatted partition on an external drive I can just
copy all the files on to it?  From the startup volume?

Chris

"Thomas Reed" <thomasareed@dont.spam.me> wrote in message
> In article <Go2dnb5SUZgmw77cRVn-oQ@nildram.net>, Chris Curtis
> <support@no_spam_nil-dram.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your input everyone. So am I really trying to achieve the
> > impossible?!
>
> On OS 9, yes.  I believe Disk Utility on OS X can create larger disk
> images.
>
> > Out of interest what do Mac people do. In the world of Microsoft the
> > creation of complete disk images using Norton Ghost or Drive Image has
> > become practically manadatory and a very useful part of a backup
strategy.

> Many things are mandatory in the Windows world that are not in the Mac
> world.  I wonder why you would need to put all this stuff on a disk
> image, rather than simply copying it into a folder on your backup
> volume.  On OS 9, this is trivial.  A simple copy from one volume to
> the other should be sufficient.  Restoration is similarly easy.  OS X
> complicates things with all the hidden Unix files, permissions issues,
> etc, but it is still doable (especially using utilities like Carbon
> Copy Cloner).
>
> --
> -Thomas
>
> <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>

0
Chris
8/18/2004 3:13:16 PM
In article <M7SdneiZJMSQ777cRVn-gA@nildram.net>, Chris Curtis
<support@no_spam_nil-dram.co.uk> wrote:

> Thank you Thomas! I like trivia...
> So if I create a Mac formatted partition on an external drive I can just
> copy all the files on to it?  From the startup volume?

Since you're using OS 9, yes.  You could copy all the files from your
startup volume to another volume.  If you ever need to restore from
backup, you can copy whichever files you need.  If you need to wipe the
whole drive and restore *everything*, you just wipe it, copy all the
files back over, and restart.  You should even be able to boot from the
backup volume in an emergency, which you couldn't do with a disk image.

--
-Thomas

<http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
0
Thomas
8/18/2004 7:24:46 PM
Splendid!
Many thanks.

> In article <M7SdneiZJMSQ777cRVn-gA@nildram.net>, Chris Curtis
> <support@no_spam_nil-dram.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Thomas! I like trivia...
> > So if I create a Mac formatted partition on an external drive I can just
> > copy all the files on to it?  From the startup volume?
>
> Since you're using OS 9, yes.  You could copy all the files from your
> startup volume to another volume.  If you ever need to restore from
> backup, you can copy whichever files you need.  If you need to wipe the
> whole drive and restore *everything*, you just wipe it, copy all the
> files back over, and restart.  You should even be able to boot from the
> backup volume in an emergency, which you couldn't do with a disk image.
>
> --
> -Thomas
>
> <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>

0