Disk utility for partitioning drives and deleting partitions?

I have connected an Acomdata external 80 gb drive to my Powerbook running Os
X.  Using the built-in disk utility, I partitioned the drive into two
partitions of about 40 gb each.  I am changing my mind and I now want just
ONE partition of 80 gb, but the disk utility won't let me delete the
partitions or do anything (all options are greyed out).  I don't care if
the data are lost.

1)  How do I delete and/or recombine two partitions in Os X ??

2)  If it cannot be done within OS X, is there a third-party utility that
will allow me to manipulate partitions in OS X ?  Losing data or
reformatting is not an issue.

0
as646

In article <behp2g$fbh$1@freenet9.carleton.ca>,
 as646@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (John Robson) wrote:

> I have connected an Acomdata external 80 gb drive to my Powerbook running Os
> X.  Using the built-in disk utility, I partitioned the drive into two
> partitions of about 40 gb each.  I am changing my mind and I now want just
> ONE partition of 80 gb, but the disk utility won't let me delete the
> partitions or do anything (all options are greyed out).  I don't care if
> the data are lost.
>
> 1)  How do I delete and/or recombine two partitions in Os X ??

Launch the Terminal application.  Type 'man pdisk' for help on how to
use pdisk, a partition table editor.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom