Disk Utility - unable to create partition image - resource busy

Hello,

I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a Mac Pro with the original hard drive.

I am unable to create a disk image using Disk Utility.  I get the
error:

"Unable to create "disk0s2.dmg".
Resource busy.

This happens whether I select the top level Hard Drive icon or the
"MacIntosh HD" one representing the partition.  And it happens whether
I try to save to a file on the same disk or on an external drive.

When I make an image of just a folder, it works.

Pressing Ctrl-Option-Esc shows only the Finder and Disk Utility
applications running.

The result is the same if I boot into safe mode.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

0
mark6139 (5)

In article <1166425983.528976.119040@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>,
 mark6139@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a Mac Pro with the original hard drive.
>
> I am unable to create a disk image using Disk Utility.  I get the
> error:
>
> "Unable to create "disk0s2.dmg".
> Resource busy.
>
> This happens whether I select the top level Hard Drive icon or the
> "MacIntosh HD" one representing the partition.  And it happens whether
> I try to save to a file on the same disk or on an external drive.
>
> When I make an image of just a folder, it works.
>
> Pressing Ctrl-Option-Esc shows only the Finder and Disk Utility
> applications running.
>
> The result is the same if I boot into safe mode.

I have run into the same sort of thing, but not trying to do what you
are.  In almost every case I cannot find any process that should be
running.

My solution is to shut down.  That should end any processes that are
running.  Then on re-boot make it your first order of business to do
what you are trying to do.  Before any other processes can get going.

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam.  Britannica prefers the former.
0
On 2006-12-20 19:43:00 +0000, Ockham's Razor <Mencken@pdx.net> said:

> In article <1166425983.528976.119040@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>,
>  mark6139@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a Mac Pro with the original hard drive.
>>
>> I am unable to create a disk image using Disk Utility.  I get the
>> error:
>>
>> "Unable to create "disk0s2.dmg".
>> Resource busy.
>>
>> This happens whether I select the top level Hard Drive icon or the
>> "MacIntosh HD" one representing the partition.  And it happens whether
>> I try to save to a file on the same disk or on an external drive.
>>
>> When I make an image of just a folder, it works.
>>
>> Pressing Ctrl-Option-Esc shows only the Finder and Disk Utility
>> applications running.
>>
>> The result is the same if I boot into safe mode.
>
> I have run into the same sort of thing, but not trying to do what you
> are.  In almost every case I cannot find any process that should be
> running.
>
> My solution is to shut down.  That should end any processes that are
> running.  Then on re-boot make it your first order of business to do
> what you are trying to do.  Before any other processes can get going.

Yon cannot make a disk image of the partition from which your booting
from, the correct way is to have two partitions each with a bootable OS
you boot from one make disk image of the other...

If your hard drive is one partition the you can do the same from the
installer DVD/CD by booting up using the C key, navigate to Disk
Utility and then make a disk image from there...

I learned many years ago to have at least 2 partitions on my drive,
currently all our computers have 3 partitions....

Be aware that you will need an equal ammount of space available plus at
least 20%...

Hope this helps

Mike

0
iBallooka
12/21/2006 12:07:21 AM
iBallooka <kamtek@nospamtoday.hotmail.com> wrote:

> > My solution is to shut down.  That should end any processes that are
> > running.  Then on re-boot make it your first order of business to do
> > what you are trying to do.  Before any other processes can get going.
>
> Yon cannot make a disk image of the partition from which your booting
> from...

not with Apple's Disk Utility.

Try SuperDuper

--
In a world without walls and fences,
   who needs windows and gates?

I think the number of partitions is beside the point since even if I
had twenty partitions I would still want to backup the boot partition.
And having more than one be bootable (with the same OS) seems like an
unnecessary hassle.

If I have to buy a separate imaging program, then so be it.  But it
would make a lot of sense if the disk utility's interface SOMEWHERE
said that doing this with the booted partition will not work (if that
is indeed the case).  This would have saved me a lot of wondering what
was wrong.

0
mark6139
12/22/2006 10:48:31 PM
In article
<1166827711.279817.236000@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>,
 mark6139@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks all for your replies.
>
> I think the number of partitions is beside the point since even if I
> had twenty partitions I would still want to backup the boot partition.
> And having more than one be bootable (with the same OS) seems like an
> unnecessary hassle.

It is besides the point if you insist on imaging what it seems
not wholly reasonable to image, namely a partition specifically
created to be useful in imaging other partitions. It is not quite
as bad as trying to photograph the only barber in the world who
shaves all and only those who do not shave themselves but it
reminds me of it.

--
dorayme
0
On 2006-12-23 00:12:04 +0000, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> said:

> In article <1166827711.279817.236000@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>,
>  mark6139@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks all for your replies.
>>
>> I think the number of partitions is beside the point since even if I
>> had twenty partitions I would still want to backup the boot partition.
>> And having more than one be bootable (with the same OS) seems like an
>> unnecessary hassle.
>
> It is besides the point if you insist on imaging what it seems not
> wholly reasonable to image, namely a partition specifically created to
> be useful in imaging other partitions. It is not quite as bad as trying
> to photograph the only barber in the world who shaves all and only
> those who do not shave themselves but it reminds me of it.

The guy is plonker and not worth the effect, he asked why he told why
and he said its an hassle...

0
iBallooka
12/23/2006 1:51:03 PM
> It is besides the point if you insist on imaging what it seems
> not wholly reasonable to image, namely a partition specifically

You might tell that to the folks at Acronis (among others).  They make
a fine imaging
program that is very capable of imaging any partition, even the running
one.

I tried the method of booting from the CD, and now I get unable to
create *.dmg, "file too large".  There is about 230GB free on the
destination, and the source has about 50 GB of data on it.  I tried it
going to FAT32 and Unix type partitions.  I wonder if this is because
the source 'capacity' is more than 230GB?

Apparently the disk imaging feature is worth less than the extra amount
it costs.

0
mark6139

[Mac OS X] Create PDF from multiple images app/utility?
On Mac OS X, does anyone know of any utility or app that allows me to create a single PDF document from multiple png's or tiffs with each image as a page -- *in a reasonable order* -- based on the image file names like the order that Finder displays them, rather than a haphazard order which is what Acrobat Pro 6 leaves me with? (I know Acrobat allows you to hand sort them but this is with about 700 images). Thanks. ...

create disk image of a reiserfs partition using dd
Hello, I have a 40GB Seagate Drive on a Redhat 9.0 Linux machine. 10 GB of that drive is partitioned as /data (/dev/hda8) using reiserfs. I am no longer able to mount /data and my logs show that Drive Seek Errors Occur whenever I try. Running Resierfsck yeilds. ****** The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem. Check your hard drive for badblocks. bread: Cannot read the block (16). ****** Using a HDD utility from seagate, I verified that my drive does have physical errors. Since it is still in warranty I intend to have it replaced, however, I would also want to recover all t...

Disk Utility chokes on disk images
After a clean install and upgrade to 10.3.1 + most recent security updates, Panther seems OK except that disk images cannot be mounted, nor can they be created. Upon mounting, a window is displayed called "Warning", saying "The following disk images failed to mount", followed by a list of each disk image I try, listing its name and always the same error number: -536870208 I tried 3 or 4 disk images from different sources. Also tried under different, cleanly created, accounts. When creating a new image, Disk Utility starts, but then gives the very same error messag...

imaging one disk partition to several disks
I want to copy a partition from one disk into 3 other disks simultaneously, like ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s7 | (cd /disk2; ufsrestore xf -) & ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s7 | (cd /disk3; ufsrestore xf -) & ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s7 | (cd /disk4; ufsrestore xf -) & but this makes 3 reads for every write, which I guess would slow it down. Is there a way to do _one_ ufsdump and 3 simultaneous ufsrestores? (Solaris 9 x86 if that makes any difference) Thanks Oscar Oscar del Rio <delrio@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote: > I want to copy a partition from one disk into > 3 o...

making and burning disk images with disk utility
Hi all, I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I have googled for this and found MANY descriptions of doing exactly what I'm doing, and yet it's not working for me. I have a CD-ROM that was originally created with Toast. It's been years since that was done and I can't find the original Toast files. I have all the pieces, but rather than reconstruct it, I wanted to just make an image of the disk to store on a hard drive so I can burn new copies whenever I want without having to us...

partition size mistakes from Disk Utility partitioning
I'm seeing inconsistent sizes in Disk Utility for partitions of a new Seagate PATA 750GB disk that I've added to my G4. I partitioned it originally a few days ago while running 10.4.9, and I've since then upgraded to 10.4.11. I used Disk Utility to partition the new disk to provide partitions for backups of various partitions on other disks (I use SuperDuper!). In particular I created three 32GB partitions and then I split the rest into two equal-size partitions, which at the time showed up as 270GB each. I had Disk Utility put the default "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"...

Disk utility for partitioning drives and deleting partitions?
I have connected an Acomdata external 80 gb drive to my Powerbook running Os X. Using the built-in disk utility, I partitioned the drive into two partitions of about 40 gb each. I am changing my mind and I now want just ONE partition of 80 gb, but the disk utility won't let me delete the partitions or do anything (all options are greyed out). I don't care if the data are lost. 1) How do I delete and/or recombine two partitions in Os X ?? 2) If it cannot be done within OS X, is there a third-party utility that will allow me to manipulate partitions in OS X ? Losing data or refor...

[Q] Saving "IMAGE File" of Partition(or Disk) of Mac SCSI Harddisk from PowerMac ?
Subject:[Q] Saving "IMAGE File" of Partition(or Disk) of Mac SCSI Harddisk from PowerMac ? Help me, PLEASE! I have a Hard Disk installed Mac OS from PowerMac 6100. (Quantum FireBall TM series, 2.1 or 2.0 GB, Ultra SCSI-3) (It is HDD that can boot completely). So, I want to make the partition(or whole disk) of this Mac Hard Disk to image file with Software Tools on Microsoft Windows Operation System. [Connecting to Adaptec AHA-2940U(Ultra) on Pentium PC] (Example: Norton Ghost, TrueImage etc...???) I want to save the image to another Hard Disk(C-drive) on Microsoft Windows...

disk image utility, FS II scenery disks
seeing if I can copy data of a C64 Flight simulator II disk image, save it to PC hard drive (as seperate files) Is there a utility that will let me do this? the goal is to get the scenery files and inject them into an apple II disk image, for use with the apple II version of FS II. (what got me interested in trying was a post to comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup) Rich On Feb 7, 2:07 pm, aiiad...@gmail.com wrote: > seeing if I can copy data of a C64 Flight simulator II disk image, > save it to PC hard drive (as seperate files) > > Is there a utility that will let me do this? > > ...

Creating a new partition on NTFS 1-partition disk
Just to let people who missed the news know this: one can now shrink NTFS partition without any fuss and without buying an otherwise useless piece of software. The price: downloading a 100M file and burning a CD. Keyword: System Rescue CD. Checked already on my friends disk. Another hint: it + WinXP installer + Recovery console + XP Sp1a fits nicely into one CD... (Do not know whether this may be useful; I did it since there is an XP partition sitting on the laptop somewhere, and it might happen I will need to run it, and it might happen it goes broke...) Yours, Ilya Sir: ...

Does Disk Utility come with Mac OS? (new to MAC)
I am looking to help out a friend with some stuff on his new MAC. He is looking to install a program that is in DMG format. I read a couple things on this forum and I am wondering if Disk Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a seperate program that needs to be bought and installed? * posted via http://www.mymac.ws * please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac In article <u1114533248@aknode.invalid>, varcos <darren.lapierre@telus-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > I am wondering if Disk Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a > seperate program that needs to be bought ...

True Image 8 question about creating active partition image
I've successfully used True Image 8 (trial) to create an image of my primary active parition. I was surprised that it created the image in the background while I was still multi-taking from the desktop. (Older imagers I have used required a reboot to create the image prior to lauching the OS). My question is, how does TI8 create an image of programs that are currently in use? I didn't think that was possible without corruption. Can TI8 be trusted to make reliable images of active primary partitions? Thanks for the info. <mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com> wrote: &g...

No encryption partition option when setting up partitions on a HDD in Disk Utility?
Hello again. While I was fiddling with my external USB HDD last night, I noticed that I could not partition and format them with Mac OS X's encryption directly. Basically, I was trying to set up 3 partitions and then set 1 of them to use encryption in Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+). There was no encryption option during partitioning. I have to do partitions first, wait to partition all, and then reformat a partition with Mac OS Extended Journal (HFS+) with encryption. Is this normal/by design or did I miss something in an updated Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)? Thank you ...

Using Disk Utility to partition a disk without losing data
I have a 500gig external USB hard drive. I don't want Time Machine to fill up the drive to a point, where I cannot add files to t manually. So I'd like to create a 200gig partition exclusively for Time Machine. I know Disk Utility can partition an external hard drive, but from what I've read (Googling), it does not partition without erasing data. Is it possible to use Disk Utility to partition an external USB hard drive, without losing the data currently on the external USB hard drive? If so, how? If not, what can I do? In article <6NGdncjVc69WLrLanZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@gigane...

Any utility to convert TrackStar board emulator Disk images to Emulator image files??
Hello, I was curious to see if anyone had written a utility to convert TrackStar board emulator Disk images to regular disk images that would work on one of the Apple IIe emulators?? I was going to try and use the ADT utility and a serial cable to make images of my disks but if there is a utility that can convert the TrackStar images that would be much easier. If you know of one please let me know. Best Regards, Robert "Robert L. Doerr" <rdoerr@bizserve.com> wrote in message news:f33567e7.0404230835.1a5d5562@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I ...

Any utility to convert TrackStar board emulator Disk images to Emulator image files??
Hello, I was curious to see if anyone had written a utility to convert TrackStar board emulator Disk images to regular disk images that would work on one of the Apple IIe emulators?? I was going to try and use the ADT utility and a serial cable to make images of my disks but if there is a utility that can convert the TrackStar images that would be much easier. If you know of one please let me know. Best Regards, Robert "Robert L. Doerr" writes ... > > Hello, > > I was curious to see if anyone had written a utility to convert > TrackStar board emulator Disk imag...

Mac Disk Partitioning?
I am looking for a nice app that will let me partition my HD, I need to have a fully operational Linux installation for work reasons. Does anyone have any previous experience here that could help? Thank you, Ben. In article <441e5d36@newsgate.hknet.com>, Ben Branch <benjaminhk@mac.com> wrote: > I am looking for a nice app that will let me partition my HD, I need to > have a fully operational Linux installation for work reasons. > > Does anyone have any previous experience here that could help? > I use 'pdisk'; it's located in /usr/sbin. I r...

Disk Imaging Utility
When I first started working on this project, I did not think this would be possible with Visual Basic, but to my surprise, I found enough information to create a nice imaging tool. The only issue, it only works with disk volumes. Although, this is still very useful, I would like to mimic the operation of commercial disk imaging utilities like Ghost. The commercial products can perform an image or disk to disk copy of an entire disk and all volumes on the disk. I believe I can use the following API and control codes, among others, to perform the tasks I am looking for, put can not find VB exam...

Mac Disk Utility
I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any future Mac products, I am forced to find something else. Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new iMac with the Intel chips? Thanks in advance, JL On 2007-06-06 20:54:54 -0500, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said: > I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 > came out for OS 10.3 a...

Creating a A disk Image
Running 9.22 on a G4 I have a partition containing about 15gb. I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3 would appear to have a limit of 2gb. Is there a program out there like Norton Ghost for the PC world which would manage this? Regards Chris Curtis In article <8oSdnY0rNM5nzr_cRVn-ow@nildram.net>, "Chris Curtis" <ccurtis@nospam.net> wrote: > Running 9.22 on a G4 > I have a partition containing about 15gb. > I would like to create a disk image for backup purposes. Disk Copy 6.3.3 > would appear to have a limit of 2gb. >...

Are "disk images" disk images or not?
I have seen the question "What are disk images" answered numerous times with the assurance that they are exact sector-by-sector copies of real physical disks. But my own eyes seem to contradict that apparently standard answer. Disregarding the instant .dmg "images" which can be cobbled together in folders on the desktop, and concentrating on sincere attempts to create real images of real physical disks with Disk Utility, if .dmg's are real sector-by-sector copies, how come they shrink in size when files are deleted from their source-devices to make the "images&quo...

imageIT, a shareware utility and an alternative to Symantec GHOST, PowerQuest Drive Image and Altiris RapiDeploy disk imaging / cloning tools
Secaucus, NJ (August 12th, 2003) - Synergix, Inc. (SI) today released its final beta version of imageIT. imageIT, released as a shareware product, is a disk imaging utility and an alternative solution to Symantec GHOST, Powerquest DRIVE IMAGE, Altiris RAPIDEPLOY disk imaging / cloning utilities. The software can be used to backup and restore entire hard drive or entire partition. The partition backup and restore feature is useful in OS deployment, especially when using Microsoft's Systems Preparation method (SYSPREP.INF) Key Features ------------- - Backup and restore ent...

Create disk image over AFP ?
To backup my workstation drive onto my server, I wanted to have the server mount the workstation's drive over AFP and then use the disk utility to create a local (to the server) .dmg file (with compression on). The server had no problems mounting the desktop's drive with AFP. But Disk Utility did not show that drive in the list of drives. Is this an architectural/design restriction, or would Disk Util on the server be able to manipulate the desktop's disk if I enabled "root" on the desktop and used "root" credentials to mount the disk over AFP ? Would dd o...

Creating RAID with Disk Utility
Hello all - Can the RAID capabilities of Disk Utility be used to "mirror" partitions (not entire drives) between two, physically separate drives? I was wondering if it's possible to install a second, partitioned hard drive into a g4 minitower (which already has the internal partitioned), and use Disk Utility to create a RAID that mirrors (i.e., automatically creates a "2nd copy") the partition on the first drive. I don't want to RAID the entire drive, only a partition that contains the most critical work. Thanks, - John RAID only does entire piec...

If I create a disk image with hdiutil ...
If I create a disk image with hdiutil e.g. hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir ~/Desktop/mydir.dmg can I take the output and pipe it to scp to send the dmg to a remote Mac? For example: hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir |scp -p - dave@myhost:/Users/dave/my.dmg If not, exactly how? Thanks for any help. In article <dtp4jr$v2$1@yuggoth.ucsb.edu>, dave@earth.mac wrote: > If I create a disk image with hdiutil e.g. > > hdiutil create -srcfolder mydir ~/Desktop/mydir.dmg > > can I take the output and pipe it to scp to send the dmg > to a remote Mac? > > For...

Web resources about - Disk Utility - unable to create partition image - resource busy - comp.sys.mac.apps

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

Restore files, partitions, broken PCs with Lazesoft Recovery Suite
... That’s all the more surprising when you see how much the program can do. It’s able to recover everything from individual files to entire partitions; ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...

Watch: The untold story of the Partition of India
http://www.zeenews.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZeeNews Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZeeNews Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Zeenews ...