Does Disk Utility come with Mac OS? (new to MAC)

I am looking to help out a friend with some stuff on his new MAC. He
is looking to install a program that is in DMG format.

I read a couple things on this forum and I am wondering if Disk
Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a seperate program that needs
to be bought and installed?
* please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac
0
darren

In article <u1114533248@aknode.invalid>, varcos
<darren.lapierre@telus-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:

> I am wondering if Disk Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a
> seperate program that needs to be bought and installed?

No, Disk Utility is included with the Mac OS.  Early version of Mac OS
X used the Disk Copy program to handle DMG files, but that was later
incorporated into Disk Utility.  Everything your friend needs to open a
DMG file should be on her system already, assuming he's running Mac OS
X.

--
Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=

0
DJ
4/26/2005 5:16:51 PM
varcos wrote:

>I am looking to help out a friend with some stuff on his new MAC. He
>is looking to install a program that is in DMG format.
>
>I read a couple things on this forum and I am wondering if Disk
>Utility comes with the MAC OS or is it a seperate program that needs
>to be bought and installed?
>* please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac

yes. You will find it in the Applications>Utilities Folder. Apple F gets
you find.
0
Philip
4/26/2005 9:31:45 PM
In article <1114535811.373601.130230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "DJ Craig" <spit@djtricities.com> wrote:

[...]

> you shouldn't need to do that to use a .dmg.  Just double-click the
> icon of the .dmg file in the Finder and it will mount a new drive with
> the files for the application on it.  Once you've mounted it, find the
> drive on the sidebar of a Finder window (drives show up at the top) and

Correct

> drag the files on the drive to your Applications folder.

Well, /that/ depends entirely on what is on the volume. A disk image is
just a disk image. What is on it can be anything. Yes, disk images are
often used to distribute drag-installable applications, but what is on
it can just as well be an installer, or *anything*. Depends entirely on
the publisher. (A decent publisher makes sure it is clear what is on the
disk image.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
0
Sander