JL

0
Jlen7

On 2007-06-06 20:54:54 -0500, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said:

> I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
> future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
>
> Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> iMac with the Intel chips?

Is it that you want to avoid the built-in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility?

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/7/2007 2:30:21 AM
In article <f47och01gm8@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
> future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
>
> Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> iMac with the Intel chips?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Depends on what you want to do, but there are three well known utilities
for the Mac that handle disk repair. They are: Disk Warrior, Drive
Genius, and Tech Tool Pro. All of these can be found at any store that
sells Mac software. Disk Warrior is widely regarded as the best of the
bunch, but Tech Tool Pro does a lot more.
0
Shawn
6/7/2007 3:45:47 AM
On 2007-06-06 18:54:54 -0700, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said:

> I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
> future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
>
> Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> iMac with the Intel chips?

I find the stock Disk Utility is more than "decent". Incidentally I
found Norton Utilities "indecent" at best.

For more profound difficulties TechTool Pro does it for me. I have a
protoge thumb-drive which is an amazing convenience.  I haven't
encountered any difficulties that these two programs, sometimes in
conjunction with one another, haven't been able to correct.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

0
gtr
6/7/2007 5:22:01 AM
In article <srhi-2A35A8.23454706062007@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
 Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <f47och01gm8@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> > came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting
> > any
> > future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
> >
> > Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> > particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> > iMac with the Intel chips?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> Depends on what you want to do, but there are three well known utilities
> for the Mac that handle disk repair. They are: Disk Warrior, Drive
> Genius, and Tech Tool Pro. All of these can be found at any store that
> sells Mac software. Disk Warrior is widely regarded as the best of the
> bunch, but Tech Tool Pro does a lot more.

I have no experience with Drive Genius, but I generally recommend that
people keep both of the other two around. DW is a one trick pony, but
that one trick kills 'em in Duluth.
0
Gregory
6/7/2007 12:32:13 PM
DiskWarrior is bets for replacing damaged directory which solves most
Mac problems.
TechToolPro, now part of TechToolProtoGo, is the best full-featured
Utility.

You are sadly mistaken about Norton Utilities.
Symantec tried for years to make it's product compatible with OS X.
It failed spectacularly, as with each OS version increment, from 10.0
to 10.4.9 the problems worsened.
FREQUENTLY it will hose your entire system.
Take it from me as I do a little consulting.
I have been paid good money to attempt to salvage systems molested by
NORTON.

0
Flash1296
6/7/2007 6:12:15 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:12:15 -0700, Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com>
wrote:

>DiskWarrior is bets for replacing damaged directory which solves most
>Mac problems.
>TechToolPro, now part of TechToolProtoGo, is the best full-featured
>Utility.

When do we know we need one of these?
0
Howard
6/7/2007 6:17:55 PM
On 2007-06-07 13:12:15 -0500, Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com> said:

> DiskWarrior is bets for replacing damaged directory which solves most
> Mac problems.

Nobody can argue that DiskWarrior isn't good at rebuilding disk
directories, but I think it's a stretch to say rebuilding disk
directories solves most Mac problems. That's simply not the case.  And
I'd hate to see inexperienced Mac users rebuilding their disk
directories for every little problem they encounter.  That's just not a
very constructive way to deal with problems. Rebuilding a disk
directory is not going to help someone who has a malfunctioning startup
item, for instance. It's best to first try to determine what's causing
the problem. =

> TechToolPro, now part of TechToolProtoGo, is the best full-featured
> Utility.

TechTool Pro is great for detecting / diagnosing hardware failures.

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/7/2007 6:49:39 PM
wrote:

> Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> iMac with the Intel chips?

DiskWarrior. Hands down the best disk repair program I've ever used--and
odds are good that if it's ever been made, I've used it, starting with
Super Utility for the TRS-80.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Jlen7 wrote:
> I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8=
=2E0=20
> came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supportin=
g any=20
> future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.

I too is sad that Norton has stopped making products for OS X. I've been =

a Norton user since ver. 1.5/2.0...

> Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found=20
> particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the n=
ew=20
> iMac with the Intel chips?

For the standard repair, you can use the built-in Diskutility to repair=20
permissions and smaller issues on fx. an OS 9.x partition or a backup=20
disk without any system.

For major repair I use these:
- DiskWarrior 4.0 to repair/make new directory
www.alsoft.com
- Cariolis iDefrag for general defragmentation and optimizing
http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php
- Intech Speedtools Utilities for drive test (SMART status for disks=20
that's not supported by Apple's Diskutility), better defragmentation,=20
making full bootable backups, making it possible to enable some specific =

PC hardware and more.
http://www.speedtools.com/STUS.shtml
- MainMenu for general system maintenance - such as cleaning logs,=20
caches etc...
http://www.santasw.com/

cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
  Rgds. Gr=FC=DFe, Mvh. Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
  <mac-man_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>  <http://www.nisus.com>
  NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
ISO
6/7/2007 11:05:08 PM
Jlen7 <jlen7@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
> future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
>
> Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> iMac with the Intel chips?

I see that there are many replies, but I'm not going to read them before
I chime in. I'm going to predict that all of them recommend DiskWarrior.

Okay, most.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html
0
Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are sadly mistaken about Norton Utilities.

Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
this point has recommended NU.

--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:
Try Disk Warrior  or Disk Genious
> On 2007-06-06 20:54:54 -0500, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> > came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting
> > any
> > future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
> >
> > Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> > particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> > iMac with the Intel chips?
>
> Is it that you want to avoid the built-in /Applications/Utilities/Disk
> Utility?
0
Kevin
6/8/2007 1:48:37 AM
In article
<1hzcwjb.uvg4ju3w5fn5N%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
 mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You are sadly mistaken about Norton Utilities.
>
> Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
> this point has recommended NU.

I think to the OP who implied that Norton's was a decent utility
for early X in his opening sentence.

--
dorayme
0
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In article
> <1hzcwjb.uvg4ju3w5fn5N%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
>  mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
>
> > Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You are sadly mistaken about Norton Utilities.
> >
> > Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
> > this point has recommended NU.
>
> I think to the OP who implied that Norton's was a decent utility
> for early X in his opening sentence.

And was wrong.
0
Dave
6/8/2007 4:19:29 AM
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
> > this point has recommended NU.
>
> I think to the OP who implied that Norton's was a decent utility
> for early X in his opening sentence.

I think you're right.  I hadn't gone back to the OP.

--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers
<http://comedancing.biz> Ballroom dance shirts & gifts
0
mikePOST
6/8/2007 12:49:39 PM
Paul Mitchum wrote:

> Jlen7 <jlen7@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
>>came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
>>future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
>>
>>Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
>>particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
>>iMac with the Intel chips?
>

> I see that there are many replies, but I'm not going to read them before
> I chime in. I'm going to predict that all of them recommend DiskWarrior.
>
> Okay, most.

wrong use apples own utility on the system installation cds

HUgh W

--

a wonderful artist in Denmark
http://www.ingerlisekristoffersen.dk/

Beta blogger
http://snaps4.blogspot.com/   photographs and walks

old blogger  GENEALOGE
http://hughw36.blogspot.com/  MAIN BLOG
0
Hugh
6/8/2007 11:45:26 PM
In article <5cu80mF30qnf7U2@mid.individual.net>,
 Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Mitchum wrote:
>
> > Jlen7 <jlen7@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
> >>came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
> >>future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
> >>
> >>Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found
> >>particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new
> >>iMac with the Intel chips?
> >

> > I see that there are many replies, but I'm not going to read them before
> > I chime in. I'm going to predict that all of them recommend DiskWarrior.
> >
> > Okay, most.
>
> wrong use apples own utility on the system installation cds

I had some major hardware issues over the last few months and spent a
*lot* of time trying to recover data following directory corruption
(Apple finally replaced my system after several failed repair attempts,
so fortunately I don't have to deal with this anymore).

Although I was dealing with 10.3.9 at the time rather than 10.4, I found
that DiskWarrior was much more reliable when it came to fixing directory
problems than Disk Utitily was. More importantly, however, Disk Warrior
almost always failed if one attempted to use it *after* an unsuccessful
attempt to repair the disk using Disk Utility, whereas it was usually
successful if one ran it without first running Disk Utility. I went
through this process enough times that I can conclude that it is
statistically highly unlikely that I just happened to try D.U. first on
occasions where the drive was severely screwed and D.W. first on
occasions where the drive was only moderately screwed.

Conclusion: While D.U. might be useful for certain types of disk
problems, when it faces a problem it cannot deal with it often leaves
the drive in even worse shape than it was to begin with. I'd definitely
recommend using D.W. over D.U. if you have it available. I use D.U.
exclusively for managing disk images or burning backups, and use D.W.
for actual troubleshooting.

As for the other utilities on the market (TechTool, etc.), comparing
them with DiskWarrior isn't really very useful since they serve
fundamentally different functions. D.W. is designed specifically with
directory-related issues in mind, whereas TechTool is more of a general
hardware-diagnostic utility.

YMMV

Andre

--
use rot thirteen to email
ntvfnnx@tznvy.pbz
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:20:31 UTC, Ymir <ymir@invalid.invalid> wrote:

-> In article <5cu80mF30qnf7U2@mid.individual.net>,
->  Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> wrote:
->
-> > Paul Mitchum wrote:
-> >
-> > > Jlen7 <jlen7@yahoo.com> wrote:
-> > >
-> > >
-> > >>I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0
-> > >>came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any
-> > >>future Mac products, I am forced to find something else.
-> > >>
[...]

I have no experience with any Mac disk utility other then Disk
Warrior.  It works as long as the problem is with the directory
structure.  I learned about it when I called Apple service because my
G4 iMac was slowing down to a crawl on boot.  It was the Apple tech
that suggested DW to correct the problem.

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

 http://www.os2voice.org
 Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada,  Oct 12-15, 2006 -
http://www.warpstock.org
0
Mark
6/9/2007 11:59:34 PM
TechToolPro is the overall best, as it has a great feature set.

Disk Warrior is the best at directory repair.

0
Flash1296
6/10/2007 2:10:16 PM
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:10:16 -0700, Flash1296 hath written thusly
(in article <1181484616.938278.110410@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

> TechToolPro is the overall best, as it has a great feature set.
>
> Disk Warrior is the best at directory repair.

Very handy and worthwhile to have both! This week, I'll be taking
delivery of my very first OS X system, 10.4.9 (since my disastrous
experience with 10.1, years ago), and the advice I've gotten is to not
run Norton Utilities on this system under any circumstances. It's
interesting to me how a suite of utilities can be tops for one system
(the Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk, combined with Alsoft
DiskWarrior, can't be beat for OS 9.2.2) and not for another. TTP has
issues when used on OS 9.x systems, but apparently it's much better for
OS X.

I hope MicroMat has an upgrade strategy that's kinder to the pocketbook
than simply purchasing the product at full retail...

- E

 Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
     http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

Eric
6/10/2007 3:12:20 PM
Eric P. <ericpNOSPAM06@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:10:16 -0700, Flash1296 hath written thusly
> (in article <1181484616.938278.110410@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > TechToolPro is the overall best, as it has a great feature set.
> >
> > Disk Warrior is the best at directory repair.
> >
> Very handy and worthwhile to have both! This week, I'll be taking
> delivery of my very first OS X system, 10.4.9 (since my disastrous
> experience with 10.1, years ago), and the advice I've gotten is to not
> run Norton Utilities on this system under any circumstances. It's
> interesting to me how a suite of utilities can be tops for one system
> (the Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk, combined with Alsoft
> DiskWarrior, can't be beat for OS 9.2.2) and not for another. TTP has
> issues when used on OS 9.x systems, but apparently it's much better for
> OS X.
>
> I hope MicroMat has an upgrade strategy that's kinder to the pocketbook
> than simply purchasing the product at full retail...

Though many people (including myself) have not required anything other
than the built-in Disk Utility. In that respect we are way ahead of the
old OS 9 and earlier when it was pretty much essential to have a third
party disk utility.

--
Adrian
0
On 2007-06-10 12:02:28 -0500, nonesuch@place.com (Adrian) said:

> Though many people (including myself) have not required anything other
> than the built-in Disk Utility. In that respect we are way ahead of the
> old OS 9 and earlier when it was pretty much essential to have a third
> party disk utility.

True, dat!  And if Disk Utility won't fix it, I'm actually more
inclined to just wipe the drive and restore from backup.

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/10/2007 5:10:58 PM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2007-06-10 12:02:28 -0500, nonesuch@place.com (Adrian) said:
>
> > Though many people (including myself) have not required anything other
> > than the built-in Disk Utility. In that respect we are way ahead of the
> > old OS 9 and earlier when it was pretty much essential to have a third
> > party disk utility.
>
> True, dat!  And if Disk Utility won't fix it, I'm actually more
> inclined to just wipe the drive and restore from backup.

I'll throw in a "me too" on that.

--
Adrian
0
<nonesuch@place.com> wrote:

> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2007-06-10 12:02:28 -0500, nonesuch@place.com (Adrian) said:
> >
> > > Though many people (including myself) have not required anything other
> > > than the built-in Disk Utility. In that respect we are way ahead of the
> > > old OS 9 and earlier when it was pretty much essential to have a third
> > > party disk utility.
> >
> > True, dat!  And if Disk Utility won't fix it, I'm actually more
> > inclined to just wipe the drive and restore from backup.
>
> I'll throw in a "me too" on that.

Three...
0
Dave
6/10/2007 7:05:05 PM
On Jun 10, 2007 Adrian wrote:

> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-06-10 12:02:28 -0500, nonesuch@place.com (Adrian) said:
>>
>>> Though many people (including myself) have not required anything other
>>> than the built-in Disk Utility. In that respect we are way ahead of the
>>> old OS 9 and earlier when it was pretty much essential to have a third
>>> party disk utility.
>>
>> True, dat!  And if Disk Utility won't fix it, I'm actually more
>> inclined to just wipe the drive and restore from backup.
>
> I'll throw in a "me too" on that.

I'm going to add a "me too" as well :)

In fact the whole time I've used Macs I very rarely have needed to use a
disc utility of any sort. I've used Macs since they arrived in 1984, but I
actually bought my first one for use at home in 1986. For years I just used
it without doing any maintenance whatsoever and if worked fine.

In the 90s I started to read about things like disc utilities. Having used
Macs happily without thinking about things like this I started to get
anxious that some terrible fate would befall me if I didn't use a disc
utility. So I got Norton Utilities and it was fine. I would run Disk Doctor
and it would tell me that bundle bits were off which should have been one
etc. I would run Speed Disk which would produce a very impressive graphic
but make absolutely no difference to computer performance whatsoever.

I stuck with Norton Utilities right up until OS 9, but in the later years I
hardly ever used it.

The thing which actually has caused me problems with the Mac are hardware
failures. These happened to me in the "post beige era" and have claimed two
of the original iMacs and a G3 PowerBook. Admitted I did get a good mileage
out of the PowerBook before it died. However I never had hardware problems
with the beige Macs and living proof is that my last one, the LCII works
just as well today as when I bought it.

The hardware faults on the post-beige Macs have all been motherboard
failures.

With my Intel iMac I now have I did have one disc problem which was easily
fixed by Apple's Disk Utility. This was after I'd installed trial software
by Adobe. This trial software put in a file which had letters in the
filename that caused problems for the Mac. These were Vietnamese letters
actually. Adobe claim that the letters are legit for this use according to
Apple. However the problems were cured by Apple's Disk Utility and I just
removed the problem file after that.

So, I feel absolutely fine without any third party disc utility and I feel
absolutely no inclination to buy one. I keep the hard drive contents backed
up regularly and that is the best security of all.

--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

0
patrick
6/10/2007 8:15:33 PM
In article <2007061012105817709-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2007-06-10 12:02:28 -0500, nonesuch@place.com (Adrian) said:
>
> > Though many people (including myself) have not required anything other
> > than the built-in Disk Utility. In that respect we are way ahead of the
> > old OS 9 and earlier when it was pretty much essential to have a third
> > party disk utility.
>
> True, dat!  And if Disk Utility won't fix it, I'm actually more
> inclined to just wipe the drive and restore from backup.

How do I get Disk Utility to check/repair my boot drive?

      carrying a cross."
                                  Sinclair Lewis
0
Ockham
6/10/2007 11:46:32 PM
In article <0001HW.C2921A7504860559B019F94F@News.Individual.Net>,
 patrick j <usemywebsite@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The hardware faults on the post-beige Macs have all been motherboard
> failures.

Will SMART monitoring find that?

      carrying a cross."
                                  Sinclair Lewis
0
Ockham
6/10/2007 11:48:20 PM
In article
<Mencken-DD0683.16463210062007@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
 Ockham's Razor <Mencken@pdx.net> wrote:

> How do I get Disk Utility to check/repair my boot drive?

Start your machine from anything but the drive you want to
repair. usually, in this situation, it is convenient to use the
Mac OS DVD.

--
dorayme
0
In article
<doraymeRidThis-19413D.12510908062007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,
 dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I think to the OP who implied that Norton's was a decent utility
> for early X in his opening sentence.

Norton hasn't been good for much of anything except creating data
corruption in many years, on any operating system.

--
While its true that "you can't fix stupid", apparently you
can package it up and sell it. -- fnorgby on TMBO
 dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In article
> <Mencken-DD0683.16463210062007@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
>  Ockham's Razor <Mencken@pdx.net> wrote:
>

> > How do I get Disk Utility to check/repair my boot drive?
>
> Start your machine from anything but the drive you want to
> repair. usually, in this situation, it is convenient to use the
> Mac OS DVD.

As of Tiger, you can check (verify) your boot drive when booted from it.

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com
 John Rethorst <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:

> In article <doraymeRidThis-BCAB13.09543411062007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,
>  dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <Mencken-DD0683.16463210062007@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
> >  Ockham's Razor <Mencken@pdx.net> wrote:
> >

> > > How do I get Disk Utility to check/repair my boot drive?
> >
> > Start your machine from anything but the drive you want to
> > repair. usually, in this situation, it is convenient to use the
> > Mac OS DVD.
>
> As of Tiger, you can check (verify) your boot drive when booted from it.

As of way back in Mac OSs you could check. Remember Disk First
Aid anyone?

--
dorayme
0
Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:

> Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You are sadly mistaken about Norton Utilities.
>
> Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
> this point has recommended NU.

The original poster praised it.
0
Gamma
6/11/2007 3:44:38 AM
On 2007-06-10 18:48:20 -0500, Ockham's Razor <Mencken@pdx.net> said:

> In article <0001HW.C2921A7504860559B019F94F@News.Individual.Net>,
>  patrick j <usemywebsite@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The hardware faults on the post-beige Macs have all been motherboard
>> failures.
>
> Will SMART monitoring find that?

Nope.  You might want to read this:

	<http://tinyurl.com/f89wd>

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/11/2007 6:23:15 AM
Gamma wrote:
> In article <1hzcwjb.uvg4ju3w5fn5N%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>, Mike
> Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:
>

>>Flash1296 <flash1296@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>You are sadly mistaken about Norton Utilities.
>>
>>Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
>>this point has recommended NU.
>

> The original poster praised it.
  up to OS 9 it was great
and for Win XP too

10.4.*  not supported
so I took the box back to the apple store and got a refund

Hugh W

--

a wonderful artist in Denmark
http://www.ingerlisekristoffersen.dk/

Beta blogger
http://snaps4.blogspot.com/   photographs and walks

old blogger  GENEALOGE
http://hughw36.blogspot.com/  MAIN BLOG
0
Hugh
6/11/2007 2:59:14 PM
This thread scares me.

What are the kinds of problems that occur needing these repair tools?

With Leopard going to a new file system, I probably shouldn't buy a
current repair tool yet unless I know I need it.
0
Howard
6/11/2007 3:11:58 PM
In article <9fpq639gqbiem75qotr3juanbvqm65k2u0@4ax.com>, Howard Brazee
<howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> With Leopard going to a new file system

Doubtful. Wait till Steve's keynote at WWDC later today.
0
Dave
6/11/2007 3:19:19 PM
You can do thsi as long as the disk errors aren't within the area of the =

boot sectors...
cheers, Erik Richard

Howard Brazee wrote:
> We had some errors come up, and ran the disk fixer that came with our
> iMac.   They appeared to work.

--=20
  Rgds. Gr=FC=DFe, Mvh. Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
  <mac-man_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>  <http://www.nisus.com>
  NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
ISO
6/11/2007 3:26:25 PM
Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> This thread scares me.
>
> What are the kinds of problems that occur needing these repair tools?

For most of us they never happen. It seems to me there are certain types
of users who attract them...

> With Leopard going to a new file system, I probably shouldn't buy a
> current repair tool yet unless I know I need it.

Wll, as Dave said - wait until about luchtime today (US time) and you'll
know. I doubt it will "go to" a new file system, but I anticipate that
it may "include the option for" one, viz. ZFS, at least on Mac OS X
Server. Wait a few hours and you'll know. :-)
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
On 2007-06-11 10:11:58 -0500, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> said:

> With Leopard going to a new file system, I probably shouldn't buy a
> current repair tool yet unless I know I need it.

Agreed. You'd do better, in my opinion, to invest in a sound backup strategy.

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/11/2007 4:04:15 PM
In article <doraymeRidThis-9EB3F6.12081111062007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,

> > > Start your machine from anything but the drive you want to
> > > repair. usually, in this situation, it is convenient to use the
> > > Mac OS DVD.
> >
> > As of Tiger, you can check (verify) your boot drive when booted from it.
>
> As of way back in Mac OSs you could check. Remember Disk First
> Aid anyone?

I do, and it would verify the startup disk. Early versions of OSX Disk Utility
would not, though.

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com
 Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gamma wrote:
> > In article <1hzcwjb.uvg4ju3w5fn5N%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>, Mike
> > Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:

> >>Who are you talking to????  Not a single person in this entire thread at
> >>this point has recommended NU.
> >

> > The original poster praised it.
>   up to OS 9 it was great

It was unreliable. Symantec had this lovely habit of buying decent
products and wrecking them.

Gregory
6/11/2007 9:26:44 PM
In article
<nobody-7BF338.09325111062007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
 John Rethorst <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:

> > > As of Tiger, you can check (verify) your boot drive when booted from it.
> >
> > As of way back in Mac OSs you could check. Remember Disk First
> > Aid anyone?
>
> I do, and it would verify the startup disk. Early versions of OSX Disk
> Utility
> would not, though.

I see. Early versions of X is not anything I am familiar with.
Jumped straight into Tiger.

(Also skipped OS 7 almost entirely - brief use of it to run a
printer on an SE30, otherwise, it was too slow and by the time I
moved to a more modern machine, it was 8.5 already and very
quickly 8.6. Long tme on 8.6, also long time on 9x)

--
dorayme
0
Jon wrote:
> Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:
>
>> This thread scares me.
>>
>> What are the kinds of problems that occur needing these repair tools?
>
> For most of us they never happen. It seems to me there are certain types
> of users who attract them...
>
>> With Leopard going to a new file system, I probably shouldn't buy a
>> current repair tool yet unless I know I need it.
>
> Wll, as Dave said - wait until about luchtime today (US time) and you'll
> know. I doubt it will "go to" a new file system, but I anticipate that
> it may "include the option for" one, viz. ZFS, at least on Mac OS X
> Server. Wait a few hours and you'll know. :-)

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/06/12/1521254.shtml

Apple Confirms No (Default) ZFS In Leopard
Posted by Zonk on Tuesday June 12, @12:37PM
from the zf-never dept.
OS X Apple
javipas writes "Despite recent rumors about the possible inclusion of
ZFS as the filesystem of choice for MacOS X 10.5 'Leopard', an Apple
executive has denied this possibility. Brian Croll, senior director of
product marketing for the Mac OS has as much as said 'ZFS is not
happening ... Croll declined to comment on statements made last week by
Sun Chief Executive Jonathan Schwartz, who said the use of ZFS would be
announced at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco.
Upon further questioning, Croll would only confirm that Apple had never
said ZFS would be a part of Leopard. A representative with Sun did not
have any immediate comment.' Users of the future operating system will
have to keep working with HFS+, a filesystem that is almost ten years
old now." Update: 06/12 19:57 GMT by KD : An Apple spokesman contacted
InformationWeek with a correction, which they ran as a comment on their
original story: What Apple meant to say was, "ZFS would be available as
a limited option, but not as the default file system."

--
the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ:
http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm
<shplink@removeme.shplink.com> wrote:

>> Server. Wait a few hours and you'll know. :-)
>
>http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/06/12/1521254.shtml
>

>Apple Confirms No (Default) ZFS In Leopard
>Posted by Zonk on Tuesday June 12, @12:37PM
>from the zf-never dept.
>OS X Apple
>javipas writes "Despite recent rumors about the possible inclusion of
>ZFS as the filesystem of choice for MacOS X 10.5 'Leopard', an Apple
>executive has denied this possibility

A day later, we learn that they have some read-only access for ZFS,
which means, no change will be needed in fix-it utilities.
0
Howard
6/13/2007 2:24:14 PM
Flash1296 wrote:
> TechToolPro is the overall best, as it has a great feature set.
>
> Disk Warrior is the best at directory repair.

Apple/Mac techs agree. That is why we have both CDs in our "kit".

But, perhaps you all want to comprehend the problem.

Over time, and with use, any Mac OS X directory can become a bit
confused, be-fuddled, from additions or deletions of
folders/programs/files.

Alsoft Disk Warrior boots, runs, looks at the content of the drive,
compares that with the directory entries, and builds a full directory
that is separate and does not contain any orphans or any entries for
deleted programs.

I use it to 'save' hundreds of customers!  I recommend that businesses
and graphics artists, video producers, run it weekly.

Those who are sound techs, and build albums, run sound boards, should
run it bi-weekly.

Home users can run it monthly...

Those are loose definitions, and it doesn't harm the system to run DW.
Each run is about 3 to 8 minutes, usually.

Norton Utilities is VERY BAD for OS X, though it was good in OS 9.

DO NOT EVER USE NORTON! Even the latest version isn't 'fixed', yet!  (as
of today, 2007-08-13). That might change, for a new release of Norton
Utilities for Mac, but, I rule on the conservative view to hold off for
proof...

0
Oldtech
8/13/2007 8:40:59 PM
Oldtech wrote:
> Flash1296 wrote:
>> TechToolPro is the overall best, as it has a great feature set.
>>
>> Disk Warrior is the best at directory repair.
>=20
> Apple/Mac techs agree. That is why we have both CDs in our "kit".
>=20
> But, perhaps you all want to comprehend the problem.
>=20
> Over time, and with use, any Mac OS X directory can become a bit
> confused, be-fuddled, from additions or deletions of
> folders/programs/files.
>=20
> Alsoft Disk Warrior boots, runs, looks at the content of the drive,
> compares that with the directory entries, and builds a full directory
> that is separate and does not contain any orphans or any entries for
> deleted programs.

If you're doing heavy testing - installing, deleting, reinstalling once=20
a week isn't enough. runm DW once every 2-3 days...

> I use it to 'save' hundreds of customers!  I recommend that businesses
> and graphics artists, video producers, run it weekly.
>=20
> Those who are sound techs, and build albums, run sound boards, should
> run it bi-weekly.

?? - Indeed no! In these cases, DW must be run once every session - i.e. =

- once every recording session has been ended.

> Home users can run it monthly...

Depending on how much 'home users' are fiddling around with installing,=20
deleting and reinstalling all those more or less useful dingys found on=20
the net. If none of these, once a month is good, but else once every two =

weeks.

> Those are loose definitions, and it doesn't harm the system to run DW.
> Each run is about 3 to 8 minutes, usually.

That indeed depends on how large the disk is and how many files are on=20
the disk.

> Norton Utilities is VERY BAD for OS X, though it was good in OS 9.
>=20
> DO NOT EVER USE NORTON! Even the latest version isn't 'fixed', yet!  (a=
> of today, 2007-08-13). That might change, for a new release of Norton
> Utilities for Mac, but, I rule on the conservative view to hold off for=

> proof...

It depends completely on which version of OS x you're using.
- On OS X 10.0.0 to 10.1.5 you can still use Norton Utilities 6.0.3
- On OS X 10.2.0 to 10.2.8 you can use Norton Systemworks 1.0
- On OS X 10.3.0 to 10.3.9 you MUST only use Norton Systemworks 3.0
- If you're using classic mode - e.g. OS 9.x on a seperate disk
   or partition, I'll strongly recommend only to use Norton
   Systemworks 3.0
- If you're using OS 9.x as Classic installed to the OS X
   disk/partition, only use Norton apps refering to the above
   list, which means that I won't recommend it on OS X 10.4,
   unless you exactly know, what you're doing

- On any OS X 10.4.x you can use Norton Systemworks 3.0, IF YOU KNOW NS=20
100% and exactly know, what you're doing. IF you don't know NS right to=20
the very buttom stay away from it.

Regarding the continuation of Norton for Mac OS X. Well, rumors are=20
running that a complete rewritten version is around the corner, but=20
following the info on the Symantec website, Norton systemworks will not=20
be continued.