Remote Desktop Connection Function Keys

How do I use function keys when I am connected to my work Windows
machine via Remote Desktop Connection?   I need to use my
application's FKeys but my Mac FKeys seem to have priority.
1
Howard

On May 10, 10:56=A0pm, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:
> How do I use function keys when I am connected to my work Windows
> machine via Remote Desktop Connection? =A0 I need to use my
> application's FKeys but my Mac FKeys seem to have priority.

ctrl+fn+function key on the mac will send the function key to windows
over RDC.

Cheers
0
Richard
5/12/2008 12:23:16 AM
On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:23:16 -0700 (PDT), Richard.D.Bailey@gmail.com
wrote:

>On May 10, 10:56�pm, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:
>> How do I use function keys when I am connected to my work Windows
>> machine via Remote Desktop Connection? � I need to use my
>> application's FKeys but my Mac FKeys seem to have priority.
>
>ctrl+fn+function key on the mac will send the function key to windows
>over RDC.
>
>Cheers

Thanks!   I never noticed the fn key over there.   What does it do?
0
Howard
5/12/2008 12:45:29 AM
In article <sm4f24918ut8v52h01e3ga0vc5mc03k5mg@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:23:16 -0700 (PDT), Richard.D.Bailey@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >On May 10, 10:56�pm, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:
> >> How do I use function keys when I am connected to my work Windows
> >> machine via Remote Desktop Connection? � I need to use my
> >> application's FKeys but my Mac FKeys seem to have priority.
> >
> >ctrl+fn+function key on the mac will send the function key to windows
> >over RDC.
>
> Thanks!   I never noticed the fn key over there.   What does it do?

I think he just explained what it does...  ; )

--
Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail sent to
this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. I do not

JR
0
Jolly
5/12/2008 1:28:16 AM
On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:28:16 -0500, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>> >ctrl+fn+function key on the mac will send the function key to windows
>> >over RDC.
>>
>> Thanks!   I never noticed the fn key over there.   What does it do?
>
>I think he just explained what it does...  ; )

OK.   But if that was all it did, then why require 3 keys instead of
2?
0
Howard
5/12/2008 2:17:27 AM
In article <u3af241rdam6h5om844tq58gbitimgcbfb@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> >> Thanks!   I never noticed the fn key over there.   What does it do?
> >
> >I think he just explained what it does...  ; )
>
> OK.   But if that was all it did, then why require 3 keys instead of
> 2?

So that function keys can double as media keys.  ; )

--
Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail sent to
this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. I do not
read posts from Google Groups. Use a real news reader if you want me to
see your posts.

JR
0
Jolly
5/12/2008 2:22:33 AM
In article <u3af241rdam6h5om844tq58gbitimgcbfb@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> >> Thanks!   I never noticed the fn key over there.   What does it do?
> >
> >I think he just explained what it does...  ; )
>
> OK.   But if that was all it did, then why require 3 keys instead of
> 2?

On laptops, it allows some of the QUERTY keys to act as a numeric
keypad.  And the arrow keys to act as Home/End/Page Up/Page Down
keys.  And the F-Keys can have 2 functions, such as screen
brightness up/down, sound up/down/mute, num-lock, External monitor
Mirror/nomirror.
0
Bob
5/12/2008 11:55:14 PM
In message <nospam.News.Bob-133F79.19551212052008@news.verizon.net>
  Bob <nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:
> On laptops, it allows some of the QUERTY

You know it's QWERTY, right?

--
Bart: That was the worst day of my life
Homer: That was the worst day of your life SO FAR.
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <nospam.News.Bob-133F79.19551212052008@news.verizon.net>
>   Bob <nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:
> > On laptops, it allows some of the QUERTY
>
> You know it's QWERTY, right?

Yea, but for some reason my finger reflexes type u after q while
my brain is thinking something else.  I guess it comes from my
hands sitting on the home row for years and years :-)
1
Bob
5/13/2008 12:41:56 PM
On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:55:14 GMT, Bob Harris
<nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

>> OK.   But if that was all it did, then why require 3 keys instead of
>> 2?
>
>On laptops, it allows some of the QUERTY keys to act as a numeric
>keypad.  And the arrow keys to act as Home/End/Page Up/Page Down
>keys.  And the F-Keys can have 2 functions, such as screen
>brightness up/down, sound up/down/mute, num-lock, External monitor
>Mirror/nomirror.

I don't have a laptop.    Do you know of anywhere that I can see Fn
commands?

Three-button keystroke are a pain.   But I have an application I need
at work which requires Fkeys to use (bad design).

When I am doing just Fkeys on my aluminum keyboard, I can count from
left to right to find the right Fkey.   If I want to do one of the
other commands, I need to put on my glasses.   I prefer leaving them
off to read my screen, and I have to take them off to see things
farther away.   But the aluminum keyboard is much harder to read than
keyboards I am used to.  (I still make mistakes when typing on it as
well).
0
Howard
5/13/2008 2:24:35 PM
In article <rs8j245sf2uej7teqdoma13ujr6fl0avjr@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:55:14 GMT, Bob Harris
> <nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:
>
> >> OK.   But if that was all it did, then why require 3 keys instead of
> >> 2?
> >
> >On laptops, it allows some of the QUERTY keys to act as a numeric
> >keypad.  And the arrow keys to act as Home/End/Page Up/Page Down
> >keys.  And the F-Keys can have 2 functions, such as screen
> >brightness up/down, sound up/down/mute, num-lock, External monitor
> >Mirror/nomirror.
>
> I don't have a laptop.

What kind of keyboard are you using then? Usually the keyboards that
come with *desktops* don't have the Fn key.

--
Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail sent to
this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. I do not
read posts from Google Groups. Use a real news reader if you want me to
see your posts.

JR
0
Jolly
5/13/2008 5:02:47 PM
In article <jollyroger-2FF630.12024713052008@individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <rs8j245sf2uej7teqdoma13ujr6fl0avjr@4ax.com>,
>  Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> > >On laptops, it allows some of the QUERTY keys to act as a numeric
> > >keypad.  And the arrow keys to act as Home/End/Page Up/Page Down
> > >keys.  And the F-Keys can have 2 functions, such as screen
> > >brightness up/down, sound up/down/mute, num-lock, External monitor
> > >Mirror/nomirror.
> >
> > I don't have a laptop.
>
> What kind of keyboard are you using then? Usually the keyboards that
> come with *desktops* don't have the Fn key.

The aluminum keyboard that came with my 24" iMac has a Fn key.  By
default, it's used to switch the functions between those engraved on the
keytops and the "normal" set of functions.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
5/13/2008 6:38:08 PM
On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:02:47 -0500, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>> I don't have a laptop.
>
>What kind of keyboard are you using then? Usually the keyboards that
>come with *desktops* don't have the Fn key.

Aluminum.   I haven't yet tested the instructions given.   I will
experiment with options of using this next time I run Remote Desktop
from home.

How do other desktop users use FKeys within Windows applications
within Remote Desktop Connection?
0
Howard
5/13/2008 8:02:11 PM
In article <tomstiller-1E7866.14380713052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
 Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-2FF630.12024713052008@individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <rs8j245sf2uej7teqdoma13ujr6fl0avjr@4ax.com>,
> >  Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> > > I don't have a laptop.
> >
> > What kind of keyboard are you using then? Usually the keyboards that
> > come with *desktops* don't have the Fn key.
>
> The aluminum keyboard that came with my 24" iMac has a Fn key.  By
> default, it's used to switch the functions between those engraved on the
> keytops and the "normal" set of functions.

Interesting. Traditionally, that key only appeared on portable Macs. On
desktop Macs with a keyboard minus the Fn key, I believe you use the
Control key to modify function key behavior.

--
Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail sent to
this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. I do not
read posts from Google Groups. Use a real news reader if you want me to
see your posts.

JR
0
Jolly
5/13/2008 8:19:59 PM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <tomstiller-1E7866.14380713052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
>  Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <jollyroger-2FF630.12024713052008@individual.net>,
> >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> > > What kind of keyboard are you using then? Usually the keyboards that
> > > come with *desktops* don't have the Fn key.
> >
> > The aluminum keyboard that came with my 24" iMac has a Fn key....
>
> Interesting. Traditionally, that key only appeared on portable Macs. On
> desktop Macs with a keyboard minus the Fn key, I believe you use the
> Control key to modify function key behavior.

To my knowledge, that's the only kind of keyboard you can now get with a
new Mac desktop. Well, except for the wireless aluminum one, which also
has an Fn key (and is generally much more like a laptop keyboard).

--
Richard Maine                    | Good judgement comes from experience;
domain: summertriangle           |  -- Mark Twain
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <tomstiller-1E7866.14380713052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
>  Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <jollyroger-2FF630.12024713052008@individual.net>,
> >  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> > > What kind of keyboard are you using then? Usually the keyboards
> > > that come with *desktops* don't have the Fn key.
> >
> > The aluminum keyboard that came with my 24" iMac has a Fn key.  By
> > default, it's used to switch the functions between those engraved
> > on the keytops and the "normal" set of functions.
>
> Interesting. Traditionally, that key only appeared on portable Macs.
> On desktop Macs with a keyboard minus the Fn key, I believe you use
> the Control key to modify function key behavior.

On the aluminum keyboard, the Fn key is an additional modifier, the
shift and control keys retain their "traditional" use regarding the
function keys.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
5/13/2008 10:36:49 PM
wrote:

>> How do I use function keys when I am connected to my work Windows
>> machine via Remote Desktop Connection? � I need to use my
>> application's FKeys but my Mac FKeys seem to have priority.
>
>ctrl+fn+function key on the mac will send the function key to windows
>over RDC.

I'm using Remote Desktop Connection right now, connected to my
mainframe computer using my terminal program.  I opened two ISPF
windows and wanted to swap between them with a F9.   I have tried
various combinations of Fn, Command, & F9 without luck.

0
Howard
5/15/2008 10:58:24 PM
On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:58:24 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net>
wrote:

>I'm using Remote Desktop Connection right now, connected to my
>mainframe computer using my terminal program.  I opened two ISPF
>windows and wanted to swap between them with a F9.   I have tried
>various combinations of Fn, Command, & F9 without luck.

I installed tn3270 X Client for SIS.   When I connect to my VPN, I can
use it to connect to my mainframe computer.  And within it I can hit
fn-F8 to scroll down.  If I just hit F8, my iTunes pauses.   I don't
need to hit my Command key.

I guess I'll use this instead of my work desktop's emulator when I
work on the mainframe from home.
0
Howard