Speed-Up.app from Mac App Store

Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is
available from the Mac App Store?  (This is not an iPhone app.)

It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in
iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it
to even see how it works.

The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been
updated since Jan 2011.  The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but
it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes
plug-in.  However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up,
such as nothing about how you use it.  (At least the site's copyright
date has been updated to 2012. :-)

Thanks,
Martin
0
nospam223 (157)

In article <my4nofjujd.fsf@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU>, Martin Frost me at
invalid stanford daht edu <nospam@stanford.edu.invalid> wrote:

> Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is
> available from the Mac App Store?  (This is not an iPhone app.)
>
> It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in
> iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it
> to even see how it works.
>
> The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been
> updated since Jan 2011.  The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but
> it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes
> plug-in.  However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up,
> such as nothing about how you use it.  (At least the site's copyright
> date has been updated to 2012. :-)

you can vary playback speed anywhere from 1/2x to 3x in quicktime
player without affecting pitch. there's no need for another app. i
usually listen to podcasts at 1.5x-2x with little to no impact on
understanding what they're saying.

there's also the amazing slow downer. it's not a particularly good
name, although it is very descriptive.
<http://www.ronimusic.com/slowdown.htm>
0
nospam59 (11089)
8/7/2012 3:06:56 AM
In message <my4nofjujd.fsf@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU>
  Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu <nospam@stanford.edu.invalid> wrote:
> Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is
> available from the Mac App Store?  (This is not an iPhone app.)

It's $0.99, try it. If it doesn't work, you can ask Apple for a refund.

> The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been
> updated since Jan 2011.  The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but
> it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes
> plug-in.  However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up,
> such as nothing about how you use it.  (At least the site's copyright
> date has been updated to 2012. :-)

It adds a menu item you can select to set the speed to 0.5, 1.0 or 1.5
speed. It looks, from the comments, like you can set the values. Reviews
are mixed. I doubt it uses the same method that iOS uses, which
maintains the pitch of the original so you on't get a "Chipmunks" effect.

--
7-Up? What happened to Ups 1-6?
0
  nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> there's also the amazing slow downer. it's not a particularly good
> name, although it is very descriptive.
> <http://www.ronimusic.com/slowdown.htm>

The price is completely ridiculous.

--
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support
rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:
> In article <my4nofjujd.fsf@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU>, Martin Frost me at
> invalid stanford daht edu <nospam@stanford.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is
> > available from the Mac App Store?  (This is not an iPhone app.)
> >
> > It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in
> > iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it
> > to even see how it works.
> >
> > The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been
> > updated since Jan 2011.  The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but
> > it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes
> > plug-in.  However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up,
> > such as nothing about how you use it.  (At least the site's copyright
> > date has been updated to 2012. :-)
>
> you can vary playback speed anywhere from 1/2x to 3x in quicktime
> player without affecting pitch. there's no need for another app. i
> usually listen to podcasts at 1.5x-2x with little to no impact on
> understanding what they're saying.

Yeah, I know about Quicktime.  Opening each piece of music in a
separate app would be a pain. That's why I bought Speed-Up.

> there's also the amazing slow downer. it's not a particularly good
> name, although it is very descriptive.
> <http://www.ronimusic.com/slowdown.htm>

As Lewis effectively said about Slow Downer -- the price isn't right.

Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> writes:
> It's $0.99, try it. If it doesn't work, you can ask Apple for a
> refund.

I don't mind the $.99.  I had already bought it but couldn't see how
to use it on either of two laptops running Snow Leopard and Lion.

> It adds a menu item you can select to set the speed to 0.5, 1.0 or
> 1.5 speed. It looks, from the comments, like you can set the
> values. Reviews are mixed. I doubt it uses the same method that iOS
> uses, which maintains the pitch of the original so you on't get a
> "Chipmunks" effect.

Ah, you mean it adds a menu BAR item, not a menu item.  The author of
Speed-Up replied fairly quickly telling me to look in the Menu Bar.
In fact, it wasn't there in my Menu Bar, because I have lots of iStat
Menus items, so the speed adjustment icon didn't show up for iTunes on
the laptops.

And it turns out that the sparse web page for Speed-Up does have
documentation of sorts about how to use it, but it's all in a small
graphic that shows the menu bar and drop-down menus.  The text doesn't
say anything about the user interface.

It's possible to change the speed between .25x and 3.0x but you have
to use a slider in a pop-up window to change the speed if you don't
want one of the three preset rates of .5, 1.0 and 1.5.  It does
maintain the original pitch at all speeds.

I suggested to the author that adding more presets -- particularly
ones the user can set -- would be very helpful (to me, at least!), and
he indicated that that's not an uncommon request.  He even indicated
that he would try to implement such presets in maybe a month.  He says
he's open to suggestions, so I expect to provide some to improve the
user interface (and documentation).

Martin
0
nospam223 (157)