Transition from iPhoto 2 to iPhoto5

Hello,

I have been using iPhoto 2 for long time on my Mac powerbook G3 Pismo.
I didn't update it to iPhoto 4 because it wasn't free, and it wasn't
neceesary.

Recently I finally bought a new Power book G4. iPhoto 5 came with it. I
wanted to import everything from iPhoto2. HOwever, I managed to import
the photos itself, 3000+ photos into library, but I couldn't tranfer
albums at all. I tried to use iPhoto extractor but it didn't work. It
seems that everybody had upgraded to iPhoto4 before getting iPhoto5. I
don't want to create a lot of album from scratch: first of all I can't
tell which one belongs which;;

I appreciate if anyone has idea how to tranfer album infos.

marta

0
marta31 (9)

hi
I've transferred the wohle iPhoto 2 library (the whole folder) and named
it as "iPhoto2". Then with iPhoto buddy, selected this one and launched
iPhoto 5 with it. The very first time it asked me to convert this
library to the new format. Say yes, and that's it !

In my opinion : stay with iPhoto 2, I was very disapointed with the
version 5 : slow slow with only about 1000 photos. I went back to the
version 2 which meets perfectly my needs importing pictures from the
camera and do some slide shows !
Anyway back-up the whole iPhoto 2 library before converting it to v.5!!!
Hope it helps
Eugene

marta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using iPhoto 2 for long time on my Mac powerbook G3 Pismo.
> I didn't update it to iPhoto 4 because it wasn't free, and it wasn't
> neceesary.
>
> Recently I finally bought a new Power book G4. iPhoto 5 came with it. I
> wanted to import everything from iPhoto2. HOwever, I managed to import
> the photos itself, 3000+ photos into library, but I couldn't tranfer
> albums at all. I tried to use iPhoto extractor but it didn't work. It
> seems that everybody had upgraded to iPhoto4 before getting iPhoto5. I
> don't want to create a lot of album from scratch: first of all I can't
> tell which one belongs which;;
>
> I appreciate if anyone has idea how to tranfer album infos.
>
> marta

0
Eugene
7/29/2005 1:35:45 PM
In article <42ea30b1$1@nntp.unige.ch>,
 Eugene <eugenefuckthespam.grob@hcuge.com> wrote:

> hi
> I've transferred the wohle iPhoto 2 library (the whole folder) and named
> it as "iPhoto2". Then with iPhoto buddy, selected this one and launched
> iPhoto 5 with it. The very first time it asked me to convert this
> library to the new format. Say yes, and that's it !
>
> In my opinion : stay with iPhoto 2, I was very disapointed with the
> version 5 : slow slow with only about 1000 photos. I went back to the
> version 2 which meets perfectly my needs importing pictures from the
> camera and do some slide shows !
> Anyway back-up the whole iPhoto 2 library before converting it to v.5!!!

If your photos include ones where the exif metadata has large MakerNote
components, then iPhoto 5 will be slow when you have a large library.

In iPhoto 4, the exif metadata from each phone is held in the Data
directory for each day, in *.attr files.  If these exceed 4k then you
will have problems when converting to iPhoto 5.

This is because iPhoto 5 includes this information in Library.iPhoto
Check the size of that file.  If it is 100 MB and over you are headed
for problems.

Cameras that cause this (by having MakerNotes of 30-60k) include Pentax,
Casio, some Nikon, and probably  Konica Minolta.

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com
0
In article <42ea30b1$1@nntp.unige.ch>,
 Eugene <eugenefuckthespam.grob@hcuge.com> wrote:

> hi
> I've transferred the wohle iPhoto 2 library (the whole folder) and named
> it as "iPhoto2". Then with iPhoto buddy, selected this one and launched
> iPhoto 5 with it. The very first time it asked me to convert this
> library to the new format. Say yes, and that's it !
>
> In my opinion : stay with iPhoto 2, I was very disapointed with the
> version 5 : slow slow with only about 1000 photos. I went back to the
> version 2 which meets perfectly my needs importing pictures from the
> camera and do some slide shows !
> Anyway back-up the whole iPhoto 2 library before converting it to v.5!!!

Really? My experience is completely the opposite of your's. I use iPhoto
on three different Macs. Until iPhoto 5 came along, there were some very
annoying bugs. For example, it  would crash fairly often, but what
really "bugged" me was that until iPhoto 5, the software would simply
ignore comments on random photos when I went to export them to a web
page. Some photos' comments were exported, but others were not.

iPhoto 5 has its problems, but for me, on three Macs, it runs rings
around all the previous versions.
0
Stan
7/31/2005 3:06:47 PM
On 2005/7/31 6:13 AM, "Eric Lindsay" <NOSPAMar2005@ericlindsay.com> wrote:

> If your photos include ones where the exif metadata has large MakerNote
> components, then iPhoto 5 will be slow when you have a large library.

> This is because iPhoto 5 includes this information in Library.iPhoto
> Check the size of that file.  If it is 100 MB and over you are headed
> for problems.
>
> Cameras that cause this (by having MakerNotes of 30-60k) include Pentax,
> Casio, some Nikon, and probably  Konica Minolta.

Can you explain more about this? I use a Nikon D70 with iPhoto 5. I looked
at my Library.iPhoto file and it is currently at 85 MB.  Am I headed for a
problem. If so, how do prevent it.

0
Robert
7/31/2005 4:40:25 PM
In article <BF127739.A17BA%rlhaar@comcast.net>,
 "Robert L. Haar" <rlhaar@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 2005/7/31 6:13 AM, "Eric Lindsay" <NOSPAMar2005@ericlindsay.com> wrote:
>

> > If your photos include ones where the exif metadata has large MakerNote
> > components, then iPhoto 5 will be slow when you have a large library.
>

> > This is because iPhoto 5 includes this information in Library.iPhoto
> > Check the size of that file.  If it is 100 MB and over you are headed
> > for problems.
> >
> > Cameras that cause this (by having MakerNotes of 30-60k) include Pentax,
> > Casio, some Nikon, and probably  Konica Minolta.
>
> Can you explain more about this? I use a Nikon D70 with iPhoto 5. I looked
> at my Library.iPhoto file and it is currently at 85 MB.  Am I headed for a
> problem. If so, how do prevent it.

I believe the Nikon D70 is one of the cameras with an excessively large
MakerNote.  iPhoto 5 puts all the exif information into the file
Library.iPhoto, so if you have say 40K of MakerNote, by 6000 photos,
that is 250MB.  iPhoto 5 seems to need that file in memory for
processing when it closes, but this takes lots of memory and processing
time.  [Note - iPhoto 4 puts the same information into separate *.attr
files for each photo in the Data folder of each day. Doesn't have a
problem.]

The only solutions I can see are:(

1. Change camera

2. Use multiple libraries to keep the size lower (obviously the more
memory you have the larger the library before it becomes unworkable).

3. Remove the MakerNote BEFORE iPhoto 5 processes the photo.  You can do
that with Graphic Converter, or more easily with a Perl script called
rmmn-100.pl designed to remove MakerNotes from jpgs.  Maybe combine that
with a folder action to automate the removal.

So far I don't know of any way to reverse the problem.  Removing the
MakerNote from photos in iPhoto can be done, however it doesn't fix the
Library.iPhoto size problem (only importing the photos again after
removing the MakerNote works - and that means you lose your comments and
keywords).

To check your photo, bring a sample photo into Graphic Converter.  Use
Command I to bring up the information window, then look under the exif
information tab.  Scroll down a bit until you spot Manufacturer Note -
that will tell you the amount of space used.

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com
0

marta

0
marta
8/3/2005 4:46:48 PM
In article <1123087608.947307.17570@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "marta" <marta31@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for you info! BUt i am wondering if you also manage to keep
> the albums?
> iPhoto2 doesn't seem to work under Tiger... plus iPhoto2 has been sor
> of slow to me, actually. (or may be just the computer tha was slow.)
>
> marta

I have a 4-year-old Powerbook that is now running Tiger.  I've never
bothered to purchase any updated iLife apps, and it still runs iPhoto 2
with no problems.

Jeanne
0
Jeanne