connect imac 5.1 osx 10.5.8 to pc windows me

Hi,

I would like to connect an iMac 5.1 running OSX 10.5.8 to a pc running
Windows ME so i can transfer files back and forth. Ive been playing
with an ethernet cable but I'm unable to find any help on the web.

Any help?

comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article
<7a18916c-164e-4f69-b117-2ddc3f73e40e@30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to connect an iMac 5.1 running OSX 10.5.8 to a pc running
> Windows ME so i can transfer files back and forth. Ive been playing
> with an ethernet cable but I'm unable to find any help on the web.
>

> Any help?

Hopefully these will help, especially the first one:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568

http://www.mac-connect.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx

http://www.macwindows.com/

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X
0
timmcn (2339)
4/3/2010 3:20:09 PM
Thanks for replying,

I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from
my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my
PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh
finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go.
so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed
in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go.

very frustrating.

<007631bb-ca4e-4a8e-a8cc-307d5f739d0e@11g2000yqr.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Thanks for replying,
>
> I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from
> my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my
> PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh
> finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go.
> so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed
> in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go.
>
> very frustrating.
>

> > Hopefully these will help, especially the first one:
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/
> >
> > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568
> >
> > http://www.mac-connect.com/
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx
> >
> > http://www.macwindows.com/
> >
> > http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

I may have an older Mac OS (10.4.11) than you.  IIRC I would have to go
to System Preferences > Sharing > Services > click on Windows Sharing.
You might need to do that on your iMac as well.  Also, remember that
from your Mac you can't just enter the IP address of a directly
connected Windows PC.  You have to use "smb://" the IP address *and* the
share name:

> Direct connect
>
> To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:
>
>    1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
>    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
>    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to
>    open the window.
>    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one
>    of these formats:
>           * smb://DNSname/ShareName
>           * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
>    5. Click Connect.
>    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name,
>    user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
>    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
>    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on
>    your Mac.
>    9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

Good luck!
0
timmcn (2339)
4/6/2010 1:58:49 PM
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:26:02 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:

> Thanks for replying,
>
> I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from
> my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my
> PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh
> finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go.
> so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed
> in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go.
>
> very frustrating.

Do you need a crossover cable?

These days many ethernet ports automatically reconfigure for a
straight-through cable, but maybe some don't - especially older ones.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
>On Apr 6, 9:58=A0am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> I may have an older Mac OS (10.4.11) than you. =A0IIRC I would have to go
> to System Preferences > Sharing > Services > click on Windows Sharing. =
=A0
> You might need to do that on your iMac as well. =A0Also, remember that
> from your Mac you can't just enter the IP address of a directly
> connected Windows PC. =A0You have to use "smb://" the IP address *and* th=
> share name:

well.. there is no "windows sharing" option  on my mac (osx10.5.8).
and i typed in the ip address along with the name of my pc folder i
wish to share
.... "smb://167.123.12.1/pcSharedFolder/"

> > Direct connect
>
> > To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:
>
> > =A0 =A01. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
> > =A0 =A02. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
> > =A0 =A03. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the =
Go menu to
> > =A0 =A0open the window.
> > =A0 =A04. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box=
 using one
> > =A0 =A0of these formats:
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 * smb://DNSname/ShareName
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
> > =A0 =A05. Click Connect.

i never get passed step 5, it always says unable to connect to server.

> > =A0 =A06. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup=
 name,
> > =A0 =A0user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access=
..
> > =A0 =A07. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
> > =A0 =A08. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to a=
nywhere on
> > =A0 =A0your Mac.
> > =A0 =A09. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it=
..

> Good luck!
I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.

Cheers.
In article
<48fb0604-9be1-43ba-8392-b33c177520ae@8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> >On Apr 6, 9:58 am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> > I may have an older Mac OS (10.4.11) than you.  IIRC I would have to go
> > to System Preferences > Sharing > Services > click on Windows Sharing.
> > You might need to do that on your iMac as well.  Also, remember that
> > from your Mac you can't just enter the IP address of a directly
> > connected Windows PC.  You have to use "smb://" the IP address *and* the
> > share name:
>
> well.. there is no "windows sharing" option  on my mac (osx10.5.8).

It's been relabelled "File sharing" - no distinction in sharing the
files on your Mac with other Macs and/or Windows computers.

You might also want to check your security settings (System Preferences)

> and i typed in the ip address along with the name of my pc folder i
> wish to share
> ... "smb://167.123.12.1/pcSharedFolder/"
>

> > > Direct connect
> >
> > > To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:
> >
> > >    1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
> > >    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.

If you look in Finder -> Go -> Network, do you see your PC showing up?
If not, then the following steps probably won't work.

> > >    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go
> > > menu to
> > >    open the window.
> > >    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using
> > > one
> > >    of these formats:
> > >           * smb://DNSname/ShareName
> > >           * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
> > >    5. Click Connect.
>
> i never get passed step 5, it always says unable to connect to server.

Silly question, but how did you set up file sharing on the PC? If you
can't get past this point, then either the PC isn't configured to share
files, or a security setting on either machine is getting in the way.

> > >    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name,
> > >    user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
> > >    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
> > >    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to
> > > anywhere on
> > >    your Mac.
> > >    9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.
> >
> > Good luck!
0
no.email4 (123)
4/7/2010 1:18:41 PM
Hi David.

> You might also want to check your security settings (System Preferences)

Everything in the security control panel is UNcheckmarked.

> If you look in Finder -> Go -> Network, do you see your PC showing up?
> If not, then the following steps probably won't work.

Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.

> Silly question, but how did you set up file sharing on the PC? If you
> can't get past this point, then either the PC isn't configured to share
> files, or a security setting on either machine is getting in the way.

i followed these steps...
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/win98me.html

cheers.
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:

> I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
> ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
> macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
> settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
> to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
> 10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.
>
> Cheers.

I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
instead of a straight-through cable.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/7/2010 9:01:40 PM
In article <124kkmvt0g9wk.1qbceqce0wrkg.dlg@40tude.net>,
 "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:
>
> > I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
> > ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
> > macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
> > settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
> > to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
> > 10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
> instead of a straight-through cable.

Windows ME is antiquated and may not be able to adjust automatically to
a crossover versus straight-through cable.  Windows ME never worked all
that well to begin with.  I'm amazed the OP has put up with it this long.

I'd advise swapping of all the files needed off the computer running
Windows ME- using the router method since that is known to work- and
then turning it off permanently.  Just use the Mac. End of problem.
0
timmcn (2339)
4/7/2010 11:40:07 PM
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:40:07 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> In article <124kkmvt0g9wk.1qbceqce0wrkg.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
>>> ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
>>> macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
>>> settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
>>> to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
>>> 10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>
>> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
>> instead of a straight-through cable.
>
> Windows ME is antiquated and may not be able to adjust automatically to
> a crossover versus straight-through cable.

It has nothing to do with Windows, it is a hardware function, built into
the network port - or not, especially in older ports.

Anyway, the adjustment is not to a crossover cable, it is to a straight
cable, when two ordinary Ethernet ports are connected by one of those. They
are *supposed* to be connected by a crossover cable.

> Windows ME never worked all
> that well to begin with.  I'm amazed the OP has put up with it this long.
>
> I'd advise swapping of all the files needed off the computer running
> Windows ME- using the router method since that is known to work- and
> then turning it off permanently.  Just use the Mac. End of problem.

To me that advice is not at all constructive. The OP wishes to connect to
the Windows machine. Let's help him do that, shall we?

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/8/2010 3:20:51 AM
In article
<d0a03d02-a3fe-42ee-9ab9-473a5e37dd5e@x20g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Hi David.
>

> > You might also want to check your security settings (System Preferences)
>
> Everything in the security control panel is UNcheckmarked.

What option do you have selected on the Firewall tab of that control
panel?

> > If you look in Finder -> Go -> Network, do you see your PC showing up?
> > If not, then the following steps probably won't work.
>
> Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.

Then something is wrong somewhere.  Was this connection using a
crossover cable or through a router?

> > Silly question, but how did you set up file sharing on the PC? If you
> > can't get past this point, then either the PC isn't configured to share
> > files, or a security setting on either machine is getting in the way.
>
> i followed these steps...
> http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/win98me.html

It has been a VERY long time since I did anything with Win98 networking.
However, you might want to try turning on File Sharing on your Mac, make
sure you "Allow all connections" in the firewall (at least temporarily),
and try browsing to your Mac from the PC using the network browser under
windows. I seem to recall having many problems with Win98 <-> Mac due
to Win98 not really being happy unless there was a network ?controller?
(I think that's the correct Win98 term).

I have to confess that I've always taken a more conservative approach
to file transfer, though: either burning the files to a CD or using
a USB key.  You can still get higher bandwidth using SneakerNet than
ethernet!
0
no.email4 (123)
4/8/2010 12:51:55 PM
Hi Gene :-)

On Apr 7, 5:01=A0pm, "Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote:
> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cabl=
> instead of a straight-through cable.

All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
(Leopard).

Cheers.

 > What option do you have selected on the Firewall tab of that
control
> panel?

"Allow all incoming connections"

> > Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.
>
> Then something is wrong somewhere. =A0Was this connection using a
> crossover cable or through a router?

i connected my pc to my mac using a straight-through ethernet cable.
but when i went to finder>go>network.. the pc does not show up.
so i went finder>go>connect to server.. and type in the pc ip
address ..
"smb://192.106.4.1/pcsharedfolder" ..and it tells me there is no such
server.

next i connected the pc to a router, and my mac to the same router.
under finder>go>network.. nothing shows up but then i go to..
finder>go>connect to server.. and i type in "smb://192.106.4.1/
pcsharedfolder"
and i AM able to connect to the pc.

> It has been a VERY long time since I did anything with Win98 networking.
> However, you might want to try turning on File Sharing on your Mac, make
> sure you "Allow all connections" in the firewall (at least temporarily),
> and try browsing to your Mac from the PC using the network browser under
> windows. I seem to recall having many problems with Win98 <-> Mac due
> to Win98 not really being happy unless there was a network ?controller?
> (I think that's the correct Win98 term).

i went to system preferences>sharing>File Sharing.. and turned it on..
added some folders to be shared and under Users i allow "Everyone" and
"Users" access.
Then i went to my pc, and tried to connect to my mac several ways.
1) through windows explorer.. (not internet explorer).. i typed in the
macs ip with & without the shared folder name and i also tried the
prefexs ftp://, smb:// and afs://.. i also typed in my macs full name
as shown in the sharing panel. and i even tried the MAC address which
i found
2) opened up My NetWork Places.. where the mac should be listed, but
it wasnt there.
3) opened up My NetWork Places>Entire network.. and error message
popped up.." unable to browse the network"
4) opened up My NetWork Places>add network place..but my mac wasnt
listed there either.

> I have to confess that I've always taken a more conservative approach
> to file transfer, though: either burning the files to a CD or using
> a USB key. =A0You can still get higher bandwidth using SneakerNet than
> ethernet!

files are getting larger and larger these days, its easier just to
connect the computers together, better then running back n forth.  now
Google is implementing a 1 gigabyte-per-second network..
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.=
html
i bet theres no lag in that system lol
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 19:53:42 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:

> Hi Gene :-)
>
> On Apr 7, 5:01�pm, "Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote:
>> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
>> instead of a straight-through cable.
>
> All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
> and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
> with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
> and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
> (Leopard).
>
> Cheers.

The cable is maybe $5.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/9/2010 4:15:41 AM
In article
<83f593eb-2220-45af-83c3-46fef0e4ed7f@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

>  > What option do you have selected on the Firewall tab of that
> control
> > panel?
>
> "Allow all incoming connections"
>

> > > Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.
> >
> > Then something is wrong somewhere. �Was this connection using a
> > crossover cable or through a router?
>
> i connected my pc to my mac using a straight-through ethernet cable.
> but when i went to finder>go>network.. the pc does not show up.
> so i went finder>go>connect to server.. and type in the pc ip
> address ..
> "smb://192.106.4.1/pcsharedfolder" ..and it tells me there is no such
> server.
>
> next i connected the pc to a router, and my mac to the same router.
> under finder>go>network.. nothing shows up but then i go to..
> finder>go>connect to server.. and i type in "smb://192.106.4.1/
> pcsharedfolder" and i AM able to connect to the pc.

Since your PC is running a pretty old version of Windows I am thinking
that it is a pretty old PC.  It may not be able to automatically adjust
to using a straight-through rather than crossover Ethernet cable for
direct connection to another computer; putting the router in between
then solves that problem.

Since that method already works, that's the one I'd recommend using.
This is the option I would take.  If you're really wanting to connect
them directly then I'd recommend getting a crossover cable and seeing if
that solves the problem.

If both computers have a FireWire port, it might be possible to transfer
files by putting the Mac in target disk mode.  I've never used it.
Basically the Mac temporarily becomes just a hard drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode
0
timmcn (2339)
4/9/2010 2:38:47 PM
Hi Gene,

My iMac5.1 comes with auto-mdix so i should be able to use any type of
ethernet cable when connecting to another computer... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274
....  i dont think buying a crossover will solve the problem.. when i
got home i woke up my mac and it had the pc listed in the sidebar
under servers.  WTH

> > All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
> > and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
> > with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
> > and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
> > (Leopard).
>
> > Cheers.
>
> The cable is maybe $5.
> Since your PC is running a pretty old version of Windows I am thinking
> that it is a pretty old PC. =A0It may not be able to automatically adjust
> to using a straight-through rather than crossover Ethernet cable for
> direct connection to another computer; putting the router in between
> then solves that problem.

i was gone all day and the mac was asleep...  when i got home i woke
up the mac and it had the pc listed in the finders sidebar under
servers, what?! while just the day before i had to finder>go>connect
to server> and manually type in the pc's ip address before it would
show up in the finder?!

> Since that method already works, that's the one I'd recommend using. =A0
> This is the option I would take. =A0If you're really wanting to connect
> them directly then I'd recommend getting a crossover cable and seeing if
> that solves the problem.

My iMac5.1 comes with auto-mdix so i should be able to use any type of
ethernet cable when connecting to another computer... http://support.apple.=
com/kb/HT2274

anyways, i think the problem is with osx 10.5 leopard, other people
have network problems with this version of osx.

> If both computers have a FireWire port, it might be possible to transfer
> files by putting the Mac in target disk mode. =A0I've never used it. =A0
> Basically the Mac temporarily becomes just a hard drive.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode

target disk mode..  wow,cool... thanks.

In article
<10a31258-72af-4a60-9d85-f7886a6ee4ee@30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> My iMac5.1 comes with auto-mdix so i should be able to use any type of
> ethernet cable when connecting to another computer...
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274
> ...  i dont think buying a crossover will solve the problem.. when i
> got home i woke up my mac and it had the pc listed in the sidebar
> under servers.  WTH
>

> > > All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
> > > and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
> > > with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
> > > and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
> > > (Leopard).
> >
> > > Cheers.
> >
> > The cable is maybe $5.

I think you're missing the point being made, WebDude.  The problem in
this little dance is probably your Windows computer which is old and
using a not-very-good operating system.
0
timmcn (2339)
4/10/2010 2:58:05 PM
I have another computer running windowsXP and its connected wireless
to the same router as the other computers. And it too randomly appears
and dissapears from the server list in the macs finder sidebar. and
even though they disappear, I used the imacs network utility to ping
the windows machines and they pinged back, so.... alot of people are
having problems getting servers to list in the sidebar using macosx
10.5 - they suggest force quiting the finder or going into the finders
preferences and clicking then re-clicking the show servers option or
creating a "location" in the network preferences, or renewing the
DHCP... etc etc

but that doesnt mean i dont agree with you,  windowsME  sucks..  i
found a pentium4 WindowsXp machine in the trash maybe ill switch. im
just waiting till 3D comes standard and everyone trashes their old
46inch lcds. baby wants to watch HiDef.

cheers.

> I think you're missing the point being made, WebDude. =A0The problem in
> this little dance is probably your Windows computer which is old and
> using a not-very-good operating system.
OK, I take it all back :-)

I'm sure auto adapting at only one end is quite enough, so I withdraw my
sharp-tongued reply. Besides, since it's now working, I guess your computer
just got tired and needed that nap :-)

Sorry for the late reply - I've been visiting family where there was no web
access.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/19/2010 6:07:43 PM
No need to apologize :-) , I found your posts helpful - not offensive.

Cheers.