Mac - to - Mac remote desktop

I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK.

What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook
to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release.

What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that
I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on
the G5 on the iBook?

comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK.
>
> What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook
> to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release.
>
> What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that
> I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on
> the G5 on the iBook?

I use Remote Desktop v3.1 to do that with my iBook and G3.
http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Cheers,

Darrell

--
To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet6 (at)
�telus.net
In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK.
>
> What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook
> to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release.
>
> What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that
> I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on
> the G5 on the iBook?

I use Vine Server as the server and Chicken of the VNC as the client.  I
also use SSH tunnels and Public Key Authentication for connectivity.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
tomstiller (3053)
5/24/2007 9:41:12 PM
In article
<1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK.
>
> What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook
> to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release.
>
> What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that
> I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on
> the G5 on the iBook?

I too use Vine Server (aka OSXvnc) and Chicken of the VNC as the
client.   You can control the remote system, but no audio is
transferred, only Keyboard, Video and Mouse.

You can also enable the
    Applications -> Sharing -> Apple Remote Desktop
        Access Privileges
        VNC viewers may control screen with password: xxxxx
And then use any VNC client (Chicken of the VNC for example).

And with VNC, you can view the Mac from any system that can run a
VNC client, including Windows and Linux systems.

The advantages of Vine Server is better compression.  The
advantage of Apple Remote Desktop server is multi-head support (2
or more monitors on the Mac).

And as has been mentioned, VNC can be tunneled over ssh to provide
secure access across the internet (several of us use this to
manage remote family members securely).

                                        Bob Harris
Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK.

> What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook
> to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release.

> What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that
> I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on
> the G5 on the iBook?

VNC does it although I found for some odd reason RDC faster [but VNC more
stable]. /PaulN
0
nevai2 (109)