Newbie questions when Apple store replaces a HDD...

Hello.

Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
to the appointment:

1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
have a copy of the datas. :P

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 6:43:40 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <56098fee$0$60218$c3e8da3$b1356c67@news.astraweb.com>,
Warren Oates <warren.oates@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> > > worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
> > > :( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> > > scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> > > said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/
> >
> > if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
> > it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.
> >
> > an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
> > want, namely an ssd.
>
> What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.

it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
older ones.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 1:01:01 AM
In article <r7ydnW0z_qBE5pTLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > > to the appointment:
> > >
> > > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
> > hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
> > that day or maybe the next day.
>
> Wow, that long? I can understand doing restores taking that long, but a
> physical swap? I was expecting under an hour. :(

You won't be the only person with a machine that requires repairs /
upgrades so won't be first in the queue. Depending on how busy they
are, they may not even get to look at it for a couple of days. That can
be one of the advantages of going to a smaller local authorised repair
centre rather than the rarer and over-crowded Apple Store.

Plus, as you said, there are glues, etc. used these days which will
mean it take longer to get into computer and need time to properly dry
once reassembled.
0
Your
9/28/2015 1:01:01 AM

> >> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
> >> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
> >> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
> >> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
> >> get a free HD.
> >
> > Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> > ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> > glues, screws, etc.

> I don't remember exactly, but it was on the order of 50% to (more
> likely) twice what you'd pay for a similar bare drive from Amazon.

Interesting. If we were to buy our own and bring to Apple store, would
they still swap it for us?
--
In message <avednVXLevMBfJXLnZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.

> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> to the appointment:

> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

Apple will run their own tests.

> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> have a copy of the datas. :P

They will not give you back the dead drive.

Be sure and tell them that the Applecare expired while in Europe.

Also, do not be a jerk. Do not be confrontational. Do not demand.

--
On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of course.
But mostly evil deeds. --Wyrd Sisters
> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > to the appointment:

> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

> Apple will run their own tests.

If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

> > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > have a copy of the datas. :P

> They will not give you back the dead drive.

Maybe I should reinstall Mac OS X defaults before going there? :(

> Be sure and tell them that the Applecare expired while in Europe.
> Also, do not be a jerk. Do not be confrontational. Do not demand.

OK.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 7:44:24 AM
In message <aICdna6485ZFcpXLnZ2dnUU7-b_46u6z@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
>> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
>> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
>> > to the appointment:

>> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
>> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
>> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
>> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
>> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

>> Apple will run their own tests.

> If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
> Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
there is nothing wrong with the drive.

--
I've got Mathematica 2.2 on my Quadra
0

> >> Apple will run their own tests.

> > If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
> > Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
> there is nothing wrong with the drive.

Will they even check SMART's logs like I did? Disk Utility and
SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 12:21:33 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> to the appointment:
>
> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

 Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.

> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> have a copy of the datas. :P

I bet they would give it to you - just ask.

You should always turn on FileVault in System Preferences so that your data
is encrypted on the drive. That way nobody can access the data on the drive
once are are done with it. If FileVault was enabled, Apple can't access the
data.

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>>> If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
>>> Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?
>
>> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
>> there is nothing wrong with the drive.
>
> Will they even check SMART's logs like I did? Disk Utility and
> SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
there so they can see it for themselves.

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
On 9/28/15 3:31 a, Lewis wrote:
>> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
>> >so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
>> >the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
>> >have a copy of the datas. :P
 >
> They will not give you back the dead drive.

In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
get a free HD.

0
Fred
9/28/2015 2:56:36 PM
In article <avednVXLevMBfJXLnZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> to the appointment:
>
> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
that day or maybe the next day.

> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> have a copy of the datas. :P

you don't get the old hard drive back.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 4:18:39 PM
In message <I8ydncSLiL5QrZTLnZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > If they run their own tests like with Apple Hardware Tests and Disk
>> > Utility, then they won't find anything wrong with the drive?

>> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
>> there is nothing wrong with the drive.

> Will they even check SMART's logs like I did?

No.

> Disk Utility and SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

They have their own tools.

--
Law of Probability Dispersal: Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

> >> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
> >> there is nothing wrong with the drive.
> >
> > Will they even check SMART's logs like I did? Disk Utility and
> > SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

> Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
> there so they can see it for themselves.

I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
:( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:36:33 PM
In comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc Fred Moore <fmoore@gcfn.org> wrote:
> On 9/28/15 3:31 a, Lewis wrote:
> >> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> >
> > They will not give you back the dead drive.

> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
> get a free HD.

Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
glues, screws, etc.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:37:19 PM
In article <r7ydnXAz_qA855TLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
> > there so they can see it for themselves.
>
> I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
> :( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/

if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.

an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
want, namely an ssd.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 5:39:20 PM
> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > to the appointment:
> >
> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

>  Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.

Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(

> > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > have a copy of the datas. :P

> I bet they would give it to you - just ask.

> You should always turn on FileVault in System Preferences so that your data
> is encrypted on the drive. That way nobody can access the data on the drive
> once are are done with it. If FileVault was enabled, Apple can't access the
> data.

Good idea. It will take about half a day to a whole day so far. Hmm,
doesn't Apple have backdoors and access since they made it? :P
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:40:51 PM
> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
> > to the appointment:
> >
> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?

> hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
> that day or maybe the next day.

Wow, that long? I can understand doing restores taking that long, but a
physical swap? I was expecting under an hour. :(

> > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > have a copy of the datas. :P

> you don't get the old hard drive back.

Even if I pay for the new HDD in the Apple store?
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:41:45 PM

> >> If they don't find anything wrong with the drive with their tools, then
> >> there is nothing wrong with the drive.

> > Will they even check SMART's logs like I did?

> No.

> > Disk Utility and SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/

> They have their own tools.

Darn. I wonder if they will see what I saw. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:42:55 PM
In article <r7ydnXIz_qA-5pTLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
> >  Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.
>
> Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(

you're not the only customer.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 5:43:43 PM
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
> > > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
> > > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
> > > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
> > > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
> > hard drive swaps typically take a few hours. they may call you later
> > that day or maybe the next day.
>
> Wow, that long? I can understand doing restores taking that long, but a
> physical swap? I was expecting under an hour. :(

you're not the only customer.

> > > 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
> > > so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
> > > the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
> > > have a copy of the datas. :P
>
> > you don't get the old hard drive back.
>
> Even if I pay for the new HDD in the Apple store?

that might work, but it won't be as cheap as you would find it on
amazon.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 5:43:44 PM

> > > you don't get the old hard drive back.
> >
> > Even if I pay for the new HDD in the Apple store?

> that might work, but it won't be as cheap as you would find it on
> amazon.

We'll have to see if Apple will do a free labor. That is not cheap too.
;)
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 5:57:28 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>>> Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
>>> my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
>>> expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
>>> to the appointment:
>>>
>>> 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
>>> and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
>>> with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
>>> during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
>>> took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
>> Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.
>
> Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(
>

>>> 2. Will Apple let us keep the dying/dead HDD instead of them taking it
>>> so they won't have the HDD's datas and kept as a frozen backup in case
>>> the external HDD goes bust too (you never know!)? We don't want them to
>>> have a copy of the datas. :P
>
>> I bet they would give it to you - just ask.
>
>> You should always turn on FileVault in System Preferences so that your data
>> is encrypted on the drive. That way nobody can access the data on the drive
>> once are are done with it. If FileVault was enabled, Apple can't access the
>> data.
>
> Good idea. It will take about half a day to a whole day so far. Hmm,
> doesn't Apple have backdoors and access since they made it? :P

No.

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:20:48 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
>> there so they can see it for themselves.
>
> I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
>:( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/

I would just erase the disk in Disk Utility before bringing it in.
Erasing the data make it impossible to get without very expensive
forensic disk tools. Done deal. Apple's not going to send the drive to
an expensive data recovery service to try to hack out the data that was
erased. Apple doesn't want your data.

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:36:27 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > They will not give you back the dead drive.
>
>> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
>> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
>> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
>> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
>> get a free HD.
>
> Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> glues, screws, etc.

You'll have to ask them. But you should research equivalent hard drive
prices online first so you know whether the price they give you is worth
it. You said the drive was a 750 GB, and it's probably 5400 RPM. From a
very quick search on Amazon, those are generally going for around $40-60
at the moment.

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:39:32 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > Will they even check SMART's logs like I did?
>
>> No.
>
>> > Disk Utility and SMARTrepoter still think there is nothing wrong. :/
>
>> They have their own tools.
>
> Darn. I wonder if they will see what I saw. :/

They certainly will if you bring the printout with you. ; )

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:40:02 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > Since I have never used Apple store to fix/replace a hardware piece and
>> > my client has a dying HDD issue and hoping to get it for free from just
>> > expired AppleCare by 10 days, I have a few newbie questions after going
>> > to the appointment:
>> >
>> > 1. Since we already ran the Apple Hardware Tests, Disk Utility, restored
>> > and looked at smartmontools' logs showing long tests failing quickly
>> > with 90% left, will Apple be able to quickly swap the drives quickly
>> > during the appointment and then I can restore fully at home since it
>> > took almost three hours to complete earlier today?
>
>>  Doubtful if they are busy. It will likely take a day or three.
>
> Just for quick tests and a HDD swap? Sheesh! :(

Sure. You do remember you weren't the only one there in the store,
right? You can't expect them to drop everything and everyone else just
for little, old you. ; )

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:41:02 PM

> >> No.

> >> They have their own tools.
> >
> > Darn. I wonder if they will see what I saw. :/

> They certainly will if you bring the printout with you. ; )

I have the printout that I shared. I also mentioned the symptoms that we
saw (can't boot up to login screen), safe mode got stuck, Apple Hardware
Test got stuck (still does too as of last night after the restore), Disk
Utility failed to verify and repair, etc. Had to do a full Time Machine
restore to get things back working again.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 6:48:33 PM

> >> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
> >> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
> >> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
> >> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
> >> get a free HD.
> >
> > Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> > ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> > glues, screws, etc.

> You'll have to ask them. But you should research equivalent hard drive
> prices online first so you know whether the price they give you is worth
> it. You said the drive was a 750 GB, and it's probably 5400 RPM. From a
> very quick search on Amazon, those are generally going for around $40-60
> at the moment.

Ah. We'll see. Does Apple give out NEW or refurbished drives as
replacements?
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 6:49:20 PM
In article <_v2dnYxNuoUtFpTLnZ2dnUU7-UednZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Ah. We'll see. Does Apple give out NEW or refurbished drives as
> replacements?

it doesn't matter.

repairs are warranted for 90 days or the remainder of the existing
warranty, whichever is longer.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 6:53:07 PM
On 2015-09-28, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
>> > ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
>> > glues, screws, etc.
>
>> You'll have to ask them. But you should research equivalent hard drive
>> prices online first so you know whether the price they give you is worth
>> it. You said the drive was a 750 GB, and it's probably 5400 RPM. From a
>> very quick search on Amazon, those are generally going for around $40-60
>> at the moment.
>
> Ah. We'll see. Does Apple give out NEW or refurbished drives as
> replacements?

New, as far as I know.

JR
0
Jolly
9/28/2015 6:53:17 PM
In article <280920151339208383%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <r7ydnXAz_qA855TLnZ2dnUU7-b346u6z@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
> > > Bring a printout of the report with you. Or run the test while you have it
> > > there so they can see it for themselves.
> >
> > I already have a printout. Dang, long print out too! However, he is
> > worried about his datas since he cannot keep the old HDD from the swap.
> > :( I guess I could Dban (best tool for Macs?), reinstall Mac OS X from
> > scratch, etc. assuming if the HDD doesn't die before then? And then, he
> > said just buy a new drive and skip the AppleCare part. :/
>
> if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
> it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.
>
> an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
> want, namely an ssd.

What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.
--
Where's the Vangelis music?
Pris' tongue is sticking out in in the wide shot after Batty has kissed her.

> > > if you are worried about the contents of the hard drive, then replace
> > > it yourself. it won't be free but that's the price of privacy.
> > >
> > > an advantage of doing that is that you can replace it with whatever you
> > > want, namely an ssd.
> >
> > What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.

> it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
> older ones.

13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
screws, glues, etc.?

I read
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
.... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.
Wow, lots of screws in that guide. I can't do it for sure due to my
disabilities (I only handle software stuff). :( So someone else will
have to do that part like AppleCare or a computer builder.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 7:35:51 PM
Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> screws, glues, etc.?
>
> I read
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
>
> ... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.

That's actually pretty easy, all things considered. iMacs are much worse. ;
)

--
Sent from my iPhone
0
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> > > What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.
>
> > it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
> > older ones.
>
> 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> screws, glues, etc.?

not for the hard drive, they don't.

pop off the bottom and swap. disconnecting the battery is a good idea
but not required.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 7:57:31 PM
On 9/28/15 1:37 p, Ant wrote:

>>> They will not give you back the dead drive.
>
>> In my experiences having bad hard drives replaced under AppleCare, the
>> Apple Store _will_ give you back the old HD _if_ you pay them the
>> equivalent of the cost of the new drive (not cheap). The labor is free.
>> Presumably, this policy cuts down on people trying to game the system to
>> get a free HD.
>
> Do you know how much? That would be even better than doing that
> ourselves especially when Apple locked their hardwares down hard with
> glues, screws, etc.

I don't remember exactly, but it was on the order of 50% to (more
likely) twice what you'd pay for a similar bare drive from Amazon.

0
Fred
9/28/2015 7:58:08 PM
In article <V8-dnV5SieGOAJTLnZ2dnUU7-V2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Interesting. If we were to buy our own and bring to Apple store, would
> they still swap it for us?

no.
0
nospam
9/28/2015 8:09:25 PM
> > Interesting. If we were to buy our own and bring to Apple store, would
> > they still swap it for us?

> no.

Thanks. Oh well. I will let my client decide. He did say he can't do
it today (uh duh, make an appointment if you want Apple to do it
first!). Heh.
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
9/28/2015 8:18:06 PM
In message <-_SdnbF5Qe8KC5TLnZ2dnUU7-QGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
  Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>> > What's the machine? I wouldn't open an iMac or even an older Macbook Pro.

>> it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
>> older ones.

> 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> screws, glues, etc.?

No. You may be confusing it with a MacBook Air.

> I read
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
> ... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.

It's 10 screws to pop off the bottom panel and two screws to release the
HD and a ribbon cable.

It's about as easy as Mac repairs get.

--
Love is like oxygen / You get too much / you get too high / Not enough
and you're gonna die

> >> it's a macbook, which aren't hard to swap a hard drive, even in the
> >> older ones.

> > 13.3" MacBook Pro 9,2 (MD102ll/A) model. Didn't Apple really made it
> > hard to open up and stuff with their newer models with different
> > screws, glues, etc.?

> No. You may be confusing it with a MacBook Air.

Ah. All Pros are easy to open including the newer models?

> > I read
> > https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378
> > ... It is not that simple, but then we don't fix computer hardwares.

> It's 10 screws to pop off the bottom panel and two screws to release the
> HD and a ribbon cable.

> It's about as easy as Mac repairs get.

Hmm.