goon
0
goon
3/1/2016 9:13:16 AM
comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc 4192 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2016-03-01, goon <goon@yellowcouch.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I received a powerbook 100 with floppy disk drive. The problem is that it does
> not have an adapter. On the back of the mac is written that it needs 2A and
> 7.5 V.
>
> I wonder if the hardware can bootstrap if I use a common notebook adapter
> f the same VA.
>
> There might be something which blocks the current as I tried a 1500mA adapter.
> The screen lighted up but there was no response of the disks.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> goon

You may want to also ask on comp.sys.mac.vintage.

JR
0
Jolly
3/1/2016 4:50:48 PM
In article <slrnndan9c.uij.goon@yellowcouch.org>, goon
<goon@yellowcouch.org> wrote:

> I received a powerbook 100 with floppy disk drive. The problem is that it does
> not have an adapter. On the back of the mac is written that it needs 2A and
> 7.5 V.
>
> I wonder if the hardware can bootstrap if I use a common notebook adapter
> f the same VA.
>
> There might be something which blocks the current as I tried a 1500mA adapter.
> The screen lighted up but there was no response of the disks.

there's a few on ebay.
0
nospam
3/1/2016 6:02:42 PM
In message <slrnndan9c.uij.goon@yellowcouch.org>
  goon <goon@yellowcouch.org> wrote:
> Hello,

> I received a powerbook 100 with floppy disk drive. The problem is that it does
> not have an adapter. On the back of the mac is written that it needs 2A and
> 7.5 V.

> I wonder if the hardware can bootstrap if I use a common notebook adapter
> f the same VA.

> There might be something which blocks the current as I tried a 1500mA adapter.
> The screen lighted up but there was no response of the disks.

1500mA is not 2A.

--
I believe you can joke about anything. -- George Carlin
0
<g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > I received a powerbook 100 with floppy disk drive. The problem is that it
> > does
> > not have an adapter. On the back of the mac is written that it needs 2A and
> > 7.5 V.
>
> > I wonder if the hardware can bootstrap if I use a common notebook adapter
> > f the same VA.
>
> > There might be something which blocks the current as I tried a 1500mA
> > adapter.
> > The screen lighted up but there was no response of the disks.
>
> 1500mA is not 2A.

that only means it would charge slower.
0
nospam
3/2/2016 3:47:17 PM
In message <020320161047179916%nospam@nospam.invalid>
  nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <slrnndcq8f.2cor.g.kreme@amelia.local>, Lewis
> <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>> > I received a powerbook 100 with floppy disk drive. The problem is that it
>> > does
>> > not have an adapter. On the back of the mac is written that it needs 2A and
>> > 7.5 V.
>>
>> > I wonder if the hardware can bootstrap if I use a common notebook adapter
>> > f the same VA.
>>
>> > There might be something which blocks the current as I tried a 1500mA
>> > adapter.
>> > The screen lighted up but there was no response of the disks.
>>
>> 1500mA is not 2A.

> that only means it would charge slower.

A Powerbook 100 is not going to have a working battery at this point, so
it likely means it will not boot because it doesn't have enough power.

It's also possible the plug has the +/- opposite what the Powerbook 100
expects.

--
Personal isn't the same as important. What sort of person could think
like that? And it dawned on him that while Ankh in the past had had its

> >> 1500mA is not 2A.
>
> > that only means it would charge slower.
>
> A Powerbook 100 is not going to have a working battery at this point, so
> it likely means it will not boot because it doesn't have enough power.

likely true, but doesn't actually matter. as long as *a* battery is
installed, it will boot. the powerbook 100 is different from other
powerbooks in that it can't run without a battery.

> It's also possible the plug has the +/- opposite what the Powerbook 100
> expects.

that's also a possibility although most adapters are center positive.
0
nospam